2017 GPF Ladies FS | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2017 GPF Ladies FS

thoakun

Final Flight
What I'm interested in for now is which Japanese ladies will go to Pyeongchang :slink:.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
And so why did they ignore Kaetlyn's flutz, calling for it just the unclear? Kaetlyn got 215.16 and Satton - 213.49 - less than two points difference, And if there was a correct call for flutz and correct PCS marking, Seems that satton could get a bronze. So I think that Satton was robbed.

And about message - last time she recieved GOE's 0...+1 for jumps - don't you thing that it is not a message?

And once more - figure skating is not only about jumps. Tha judges can punish for jumping errors by calling UR's, edges, lowering GOES. But thay can not and must not use PCS points to punish for the jumping errors mentioned above, PCS has nothing to do with jumps.

I don't agree Satoko was robbed, if her SP URs had been called as they SHOULD have been done, she would have been even further behind Osmond. So that kinda cancels out your argument.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Carolina needs to decide if she wants to be competitive and go for the Olympic Gold medal or if she wants to coast and skate for the joy skating and let me know because she's giving me hard attacks. Unfortunately, it looks like she's decided to do the latter. Things is though, the judges are giving her clear hints that they would give her the Gold medal if she went for it.

Short program: Had she not popped that second triple toe in her opening she would have had about 5 more points in the technical, and more than likely 1 more point in the program components, for a total of 78.82 which would have put her first here. Were she to upgrade her opening to a triple flip, triple toe, she'd get a couple more points on top of that for a total of 80.82 and be more than competitve with Medvedeva.

Long program: Had she gone for the opening triple flip, triple toe and not doubled the triple salchow she would have had about 10 more points in the technical, and probably another 2 more points in the program components, for a total of 153.83 which, again, would have placed her first here. Were she to add the triple lutz to the long program, which she has been landing in practice, you can add another 6 points to her technical score for 159.83 and that would put her even ahead of Medvedeva.

It kills me that she was less than 2 points away from winning the silver medal here. The fact that she was able to do this with 3 pops in this competition, and no triple lutz, is amazing. My advise to her would be to upgrade everything for nationals, where she has nothing to lose, and see how it goes and then show up to Europeans with 2 new dresses and upgraded technical content. She's already got a bronze at the Olympics so I'd tell her to go for the gold medal- she has nothing to lose. She doesn't want to live her life wondering if she could have won it. No regrets, Carolina. Go for it!

Ps- I saw a video of her doing a triple lutz as the opening jump to this program so she may do that and then go for the triple flip/triple toe and keep the rest of the program like it was here. Put the hardest content at the beginning and the easier jumps in the second half after a breather. The key her is the triple flip/triple toe- it used to her money maker and very consistent. She really needs to focus and get this back in the next couple weeks.

I am disappointed by Carolina. Her performance is very beautiful like almost always is ... but why she sticks with those layouts? I was hoping for more challenging one. You would think that she'd go for that considering her recent videos with pristine lutz. Or maybe we don't know the whole picture of her success rate on more difficult jumps / jump combinations and how much effort she puts into them in training. We know though it was a big deal for her to regain / make solid her triple jumps though.

viennaskater

Medalist
You understood me wrong. I wanted to say that it's something wrong that the figure skating is getting "younger". Some system fail.

I felt uncomfortable when Tara Lipinski won the Olympics in 1998. It was like seeing a little girl out there, even if she WAS able to handle the pressure. Not every young girl can, look at Lipnitskaya, for example.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Yeah but it's a whole different world now for the Ladies it's expected to be able to pull off 3-3 combo's now.

They are expected, but they don't need to. There is no bonus for doing a 3-3, and you can have a seven triple program without one.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I am disappointed by Carolina. Her performance is very beautiful like almost always is ... but why she sticks with those layouts? I was hoping for more challenging one. You would think that she'd go for that considering her recent videos with pristine lutz. Or maybe we don't know the whole picture of her success rate on more difficult jumps / jump combinations and how much effort she puts into them in training. We know though it was a big deal for her to regain / make solid her triple jumps though.

I think it's kind of the same thing with Kolyada's lutz. He lands them in practice before competition, lands them even in combos, but in competition is a different thing. If Carolina wants a higher place in the podium she has to land the jump, because a triple just doesn't have the same value of a quad if she falls.

pearly

Record Breaker
Maybe.. It's time to ask a serious question to the ISU, national feds, coaches and so on - why have 15-year-old kids compete for olympic gold? Why have they to bear this responsibility, pressure and sometimes even burden? The are just kids! Yes, kinda special, but still kids. Can you see 15-year-old kids competing for olympic gold in the snowboarding or freestyle skiing? So seems that something wrong had happened in the sports of Figure Skating. "The System Has Failed" ((c) Megadeth)

Figure skating is the type of sport where a lot of athletes are at their best when they are very young. They're light, their bodies are smaller. It makes a lot of elements easier. The way to fix that would be to reduce the base value of jumps.

GGFan

Record Breaker

I think her attitude seems to be more in line with that of the 6.0 generation in which you wouldn't put in a jump unless it had a very high level of consistency because being clean was all important. Cleanliness is not really rewarded by this system so I hope we'll see the harder layout at Nationals and Euros.

deneuved

On the Ice
She is not being able to be competitive, she is held up by judges.
Look at her GOE and please tell me which 5-6 checkboxes on her jumps are checked for a +3.
She is getting unreasonable PCs for flawed performances too (see for example when Mao came back, was she getting 70+ for 5 triples? And Mao was at least trying)

If you ask me, the could hold up Carolina even more. I am tired with all those girls backloading their programmes, or trying to get lots of difficulty into them when they have little artistic value (at least to me). I've said this before, we call this sport in German "Eiskunstlauf" which roughly translates as "art on ice" and not "Eissprunglauf" - which would be translated as "jumps on ice" :p

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
That's a really good question. They are amazing in a technical aspect, but the emotional and mental aspect should be taken into consideration too. It could prevent some histories from happening.

I mean why coaches are forcing the preparation of the skaters to get ready to compete for the top of the world in such a young age when they are still kids?

pearly

Record Breaker
I mean why coaches are forcing the preparation of the skaters to get ready to compete for the top of the world in such a young age when they are still kids?

Because they are able to do it technically. If you have skaters who win medals, you are a successful coach.

Hevari

On the Ice
I felt uncomfortable when Tara Lipinski won the Olympics in 1998. It was like seeing a little girl out there, even if she WAS able to handle the pressure. Not every young girl can, look at Lipnitskaya, for example.

I meant, as I said, why coaches areforcing their students to get ready to compete for the world's top being still kids? And why nottryin to plan their development to make skatersbeing ready at the age of 20-22 when they will have an adult mindset (like snowboardists or ski-freestylers)?

Hevari

On the Ice
Because they are able to do it technically. If you have skaters who win medals, you are a successful coach.

But they did not have born with this ability. They did not come to the coach with this ability.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

Lipnitskaya didn't die or anything
She just had a couple falls

She still came out of that event as Olympic gold medalist and went on to win a World Silver medal

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
What I'm interested in for now is which Japanese ladies will go to Pyeongchang :slink:.

This competition should've cemented Satoko and Wakaba and did kind of the opposite. I still believe they will go, because they have the most experience. Japan doesn't want to send Marin or Kaori to the Olympics when they have never skated in a big international competition. Perhaps if Kaori would've won Skate America and gone to the GPF, and skated well but these are what-ifs. We don't know how Kaori skates under real pressure. I still believe it will be Satoko and Wakaba for that reason. Although Mai has a shot to go as well.

pearly

Record Breaker
But they did not have born with this ability. They did not come to the coach with this ability.

You coach them to do it so that they would win. It changes the sport, but until the BV of jumps is lowered, it will continue to be so. Even if the ISU were to say "no 3-3/no 3A/no quads" in jr ladies program, coaches would still continue to teach it because skaters would need it once they turn senior.