2018 Russian Nationals Ice Dance FD | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2018 Russian Nationals Ice Dance FD

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yup. Hearing her in the commentary booth today was revealing. This girl is unusually kind. Maybe we should all take note.

I agree but there is a part of me that is starting to wonder if her and Yulia are blinding us with their respectful commentary and rooting for everyone only to then meet behind closed doors and use the secret powers of their girl beauty to fuel a curse on everyone. This year has been rough...somethings going on!

bramweld

Record Breaker
Thankfully Elena is a better & more compassionate person than lots of her fans
Always respected her & never wished her fail

Gets mad props from me for her commentary:clap:
Basically the opposite of TAT:palmf:

TAT is off her meds. Apparently, in her estimation, he has some psychosis. All they had to do was skate clean. While all this might be true, tact would have been more helpful. Her words were cringe worthy.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I agree but there is a part of me that is starting to wonder if her and Yulia are blinding us with their respectful commentary and rooting for everyone only to then meet behind closed doors and use the secret powers of their girl beauty to fuel a curse on everyone. This year has been rough...somethings going on!

You watch too much TV. Way too much TV. :rofl:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
TAT is off her meds. Apparently, in her estimation, he has some psychosis. All they had to do was skate clean. While all this might be true, tact would have been more helpful. Her words were cringe worthy.

LOL Now someone REALLY has to post a translation. Pretty please?

She's quite the character.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
LOL Now someone REALLY has to post a translation. Pretty please?

She's quite the character.

She actually complements them quite a lot.
She says that the problem is in his head (not that he is mad) and that she doesn't see a physical problem with the knee.
I'll try to post a translation later.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It's been such a hit and miss season for me to watch, I'm not sure now if I have ever actually seen their SD.

It's not that I think they have no talent. What they have is NO INDIVIDUAL STYLE. So nothing really makes an impression. It's all very "well weren't they nice?" But then there seems to be waves of such hype about them, that I'm invariably disappointed when I DO watch them.
SD at RN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrE9p_M_z1U

Check out the edging in the rhumba in the slo-mo.

Wow!

Two other good bits- the entry into the twizzles, emphasizing their ability to stay a constant distance apart.

Same deal in the not touch step.

I hope that with the 3rd place finish they will be able to get some decent choreo next year.

Both of them are really, really tall, so I would expect they make quite an impression live.

I detest that they are skating to Exogenesis/Muse. (boooring)....in the FD

TCAngel18

Medalist
Plot twist : as of next year, Victoria is skating with Dmitri :laugh:

S/K have the same issue as I/K... they aren't as disciplined as their teamates who might not have the best Skating skills, but it shows on the ice. Painful to watch.

But the problem they have is that he can't hold a spread eagle (see NHK 2014 lift disaster), so the knee lift is their only real option of the difficult position in the straight line lift. He did the same with Elena & usually was completely fine with it. The other option would be to completely swap out the SlLi for a CuLi on an edge on one foot, but again, they've struggled with that as well.

I’d rather them go for the CuLi, because the second he got down on the knee, I could tell it wasn’t going to end well, the weight shifts from the different positioning were screaming for an acl/mcl tear.

slider11

Medalist
Both. The knee lift did not go well. He stopped soon after right before attempting the spin. They started out well so it was quite disappointing.

Wow! Yes, I do find this withdrawl shocking. Frankly for choice of music and pure interpretation, S/K were my favorite Russian ice dance team this year. Lifts were never Nikita's strength. It's hard to tell if he was physically injured or mentally despondent after that lift. The first part of the FD was wonderful. Unless Nikita has some extraordinary explanation, I doubt that they will have any chance at a European, Olympic or World spot.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
SD at RN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrE9p_M_z1U

Check out the edging in the rhumba in the slo-mo.

Wow!

Two other good bits- the entry into the twizzles, emphasizing their ability to stay a constant distance apart.

Same deal in the not touch step.

I hope that with the 3rd place finish they will be able to get some decent choreo next year.

Both of them are really, really tall, so I would expect they make quite an impression live.

I detest that they are skating to Exogenesis/Muse. (boooring)....in the FD

Yes, the edging is a wow in the rhumba. They have a lovely curve entrance into it as well, and it's one of the better patterns I've seen. And her opening say 10 steps or so are just spot on for setting the mood.

The twizzles themselves need work. They're sloppy. And they really need to stop doing the proverbial "last season's hot program" thang. It's not only that it's boring, but it also means they are making it a zillion times harder to develop any kind of individual style if they and their coaches are always chasing someone else's previous success.

But yes, wowser on that rhumba edge. Unreal.

uhh

Medalist
I’d rather them go for the CuLi, because the second he got down on the knee, I could tell it wasn’t going to end well, the weight shifts from the different positioning were screaming for an acl/mcl tear.

Considering the number of times Victoria has been dropped from on high in this partnership, I can see why she'd be happier with the knee lift not being so far from the ice... He's not usually so shaky as he was today, I suspect it was to do with whatever problem he is having with his ankle. But they don't seem to have any comfortable or safe options with lifts.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
(I was in the audience)
Katsalapov seemed to have some leg/knee problem during the warm-up. At one point he stopped and Vika looked at him scared that he somehow got injured.
It was a weird stop after an aborted liff(almost). If I didn’t see the warm-up I would assume he just gave up...

On a side note
B/S were magical. It was a deserved long standing ovation and tears from the audience. Well done!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes, the edging is a wow in the rhumba. They have a lovely curve entrance into it as well, and it's one of the better patterns I've seen. And her opening say 10 steps or so are just spot on for setting the mood.

The twizzles themselves need work. They're sloppy. And they really need to stop doing the proverbial "last season's hot program" thang. It's not only that it's boring, but it also means they are making it a zillion times harder to develop any kind of individual style if they and their coaches are always chasing someone else's previous success.

But yes, wowser on that rhumba edge. Unreal.

True- but they have not been skating together for very long, plus there was quite a while when they thought she would never be released by France, and then a while when they thought she would never get Russian citizenship and support from the fed.

Their first real season was 2015-16, and they only competed inside Russia, except for Santa Claus Cup.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs_cr_00034919.htm

2016-17, just senior Bs and CoR

This is their first season with 2 GP assignments, and probably their first Euros.

Tiffany is 23, Jonathon 26.
She is 171 cm ( 5'7 1/2"), he is 187 cm (just short of 6'2") By constrast, Charlie White is 1.5 inch taller than Tiffany

Not a lot of choice of partners in that size range

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00034919.htm

Check out their fan fest for all the drama

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?55406-Tiffany-Zahorski-amp-Jonathan-Guerreiro

Last edited:

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
(I was in the audience)
Katsalapov seemed to have some leg/knee problem during the warm-up. At one point he stopped and Vika looked at him scared that he somehow got injured.
It was a weird stop after an aborted liff(almost). If I didn’t see the warm-up I would assume he just gave up...

He barely could move his leg and it was quite apparent. Maybe he injured himself during the training? They were really driven to get this medal after the mistake in the short.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Bobrova and Soloviev were compelling and lovely today! Anyone that can make Zhulin cry like this deserves the gold medal! But they put it all on the ice!!