2018 US Championships Sr Men SP | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2018 US Championships Sr Men SP

rlopen

On the Ice
Nah, Jason skates circles around everyone in this field. In terms of pure skating (spins, footwork, edges, etc.), I would say he is among the best skaters in the world, depending on the day. (Chan, Hanyu, Shoma, and Jason)

Jason's spins and footwork are clearly better than everyone in the US Nationals field (in terms of edging and flow and difficulty).

Yes, there is no denying that his skating skills are top-notch (I actually like Jason a lot if we're being honest here) but Jason had an underrotation on that 3A that should have placed him below Grant. While I like Jason, I like fair application of the rules the most.

AKGROWN

Rinkside
There is truly something wrong with them. But they've been shaped by the inane, ratings-hungry American commentators that came before. Just took it to the next level of narcissism. [emoji32]

Johnny and Tara's "performance" tonight was awful. Occasionally, Tara has something insightful to say but Johnny...he acts like a petty drama-queen who should know better than to run his mouth the way he does. The more I listen to him, the more I see that he is a bitter man who can't or won't let go of real or perceived wrong-doings against him. Time to move-on.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Congrats Nathen, Adam :D

I kind of dig Nathen's tracksuit and new haircut, it fit the contemporary theme really well, and i love how tight, neat and dynamic it adds to the movement while emphasise on the lines and forms as he moves. Simple and elegantly done. Nice job. In a darkened rink with the white in ultraviolet.. it could be a nice exhibition performance for the sport of figure skating.

Adam clubbed it to the Olympics stage and having fun doing so. Couldn't be more happier for him.. better with ruffled golden curls though.. ;D

I personally much prefer Nathan's previous costume with his cute curly hairs. The shirt with long and wide sleeves is not only very classic and chic but also I can feel the wind and the air flows around him. I loved watching male skaters in such shirts which were commonly worn before the IJS era. Unfortunately, it is not a common item any more.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I personally much prefer Nathan's previous costume with his cute curly hairs. The shirt with long and wide sleeves is not only very classic and chic but also I can feel the wind and the air flows around him. I loved watching male skaters in such shirts which were commonly worn before the IJS era. Unfortunately, it is not a common item any more.

I really like his previous simple wide sleeve look as well, very suave and understated, but I can understand the costume change. This needs to be SUPER NATHEN upgraded from that version. Like Supermario after eating Mushrooms :D

His previously gear were similiar to another day at the office, but this one is about off to the races for a superstar work out.

skatespin

On the Ice
The two most pleasantly surprising performances of the night for me were Grant H and Jimmy Ma.

Grant is a good skater, I never forget to count him out but he struggles with inconsistency so to see him skate so clean was very exciting and I love how he feels his music and performs it to the fullest and has so much speed. I love Jason, but Grant should be in 3rd place. Why judges, why.

Jimmy Ma I haven't often paid much attention to, but wow that music was something. It could have gone awfully wrong, but he is actually a great performer/interpreter. Probably the most purely enjoyable program of the night, even if he is not technically competitive enough to be aiming at a medal. For my 13 year old brother who was sitting next to me on the couch for about half of the competition, usually playing a game on his iphone, this performance was one of the only things that caught his attention enough to look up and watch. So while the judges might think "ugh this is what happens when we allow them to skate to vocals," the sport really needs more of this to expand it's audience. Looking forward to his long.

Adam Rippon - Squeaky clean, very enjoyable, this is his year to shine and he belongs on that Olympic team. He was over-scored for a program that has no quads, nor Jason brown's skating skills. But his placement is correct. I'm not sure how his component score is higher than Nathan's considering that Nathan's SP is awesome and his performance is very good and he did 2 quads.

Nathan - When I heard his practices weren't good and that he was sick, I wasn't sure what was going to end up happening, but he did a great job minus the 3 axel and is deservedly in 1st. He has grown so much performance wise in the past 2 years, a lot of times skaters will just rest on their tech score potential and only make minor improvements in performance, but he is a champion in the making. He could win an Olympic medal this year and if not this time perhaps next time.

Max - Unfortunately there just isn't a case for him to make the team right now. I feel for him though, he kinda shares a similar story with Mirai and they have the same coach.

Not sure who the 3rd spot should go to. Probably Jason, but if Grant or Vincent skate clean LPs that will muddle it up.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I really like his previous simple wide sleeve look as well, very suave and understated, but I can understand the costume change. This needs to be SUPER NATHEN upgraded from that version. Like Supermario after eating Mushrooms :D

They failed utterly if this needs to be just a normal Nate, never mind super upgraded one.

I joke about the look but actually the issue is that it doesn't work as a skating outfit. Take a look at his lines while he skates, heck even when he is standing. It just does not work with his body at all. The old costume was so much better, which is saying something.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
They failed utterly if this needs to be just a normal Nate, never mind super upgraded one.

I joke about the look but actually the issue is that it doesn't work as a skating outfit. Take a look at his lines while he skates, heck even when he is standing. It just does not work with his body at all. The old costume was so much better, which is saying something.

Well i kind of dream of the days Hanyu can have this sort of 'understated' costume :D If only!!

I vastly prefer it to the deep v on shoma as well... :devil:
Anyway it didn't hurt his score and i doubt it ever will.

skatespin

On the Ice
Johnny and Tara need to be fired IMO. They are so catty and rude. When they did the commentating during Sochi on NBCSN I thought they did a good job. They didn't talk too much, they weren't so rude and negative, and they didn't have such an attitude. Now they talk way too much, and a lot of times it's not constructive. It's obvious they play favorites. Sad to see it has all gone to their heads.

The guy who commentates for the Junior Grand Prix is awesome, very knowledgeable, doesn't disturb the performance and always has something positive to say about the skaters. I'm sure NBC wouldn't want him, because he's not exciting enough for them.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I'm a fan of Adam, but yes, he was overscored, so were others. It's Nationals anyway. At Nationals, placement matters most to decide who would be sent ot Olympics/Worlds/4CC/JWC, not National inflation. If you have seen the Russian men's event at Nationals, Adam's score is not that outrageous by comparison. He drew people in with his performance.

Overscoring? At a national tournament? Say it's not so!

:drama:

Next thing you'll be telling me there is no Santa Claus.

:eeking:

geige

On the Ice
Some of these comments on the last few pages have me :scratch2::confused:

Y’all LOVE to hate on Tara and Johnny. They are annoying but make valid points. And for the record, Jason’s 3A was no more rotated than Vincent’s, so yes, it IS unfair for the tech panel to be inconsistent.

geige

On the Ice
Max in fourth? With stumbles on quads and no combo at all? Did you watch his program? That would be a flat-out insult to every man who rotated a quad or completed a combo or (many other things I won't mention).

I don’t think this poster watched the competition, period.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I get that Jason should be rewarded for all the things he does well, such as spins, footwork, all the PCS criteria, and all the jumps except 3Axel and quads, but Grant threw down the performance of his life with a clean 4toe+3toe combo and 3Axel, but was still placed behind Brown, who didn't attempt a quad and who UR and 2-footed his 3Axel. That is robbery. I get that Grant hasn't been the most reliable competitor in the past, but Jason has been very inconsistent this season and only made the GPF, where he finished last, because another skater pulled out due to injury. The judges are clearly protecting Jason because they know his potential to post very high PCS, but it's hard to grasp when he doesn't have a reliable quad or 3Axel. It's not like Hochstein is inept in the PCS criteria either. Grant is a fine skater.

My placements:
1. Nathan
2. Adam
3. Grant
4. Jason
5. Vincent
6. Ross

I wonder how much longer international judges are going to continue to give Brown the PCS without a 3Axel. His luck may run out if these lackluster performances continue. Sucks for Grant not to be rewarded as he should have been.

TMC

Record Breaker
Some of these comments on the last few pages have me :scratch2::confused:

Y’all LOVE to hate on Tara and Johnny. They are annoying but make valid points. And for the record, Jason’s 3A was no more rotated than Vincent’s, so yes, it IS unfair for the tech panel to be inconsistent.

Fair enough, but I'd still rather watch Jimmy Ma's performance than hear about how much Tara likes bass. That performance was completely ruined for me by their blathering.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Didn't read all the comments when I posted, funny reaction to Nathen's costume. You guys are not seeing the big picture. If this SP wins the Olympics, it can be easily and universally immortalised while remain unique and original enough to be easily represented on any figure silhouette, shop window mannequins, graphics, displays etc... doesn't just have to be on male either.

The matt black velvet looking finish is very 'in' right now. 'Athleisure' is also the IT trend in the fashion world past 2,3 seasons. This would be a perfect blend of these trends for 2018 with its own 'bang up to date'. Emphasise on the upper carriage especially on the torso and upper body movement to compliment the choreography that uses upper body and music (jazzy) quite effectively.

It also needs to be considered how it works in motion like all the best skating costumes are. I thought it is a really interesting bold choice that they didn't use the lines with the leg, which would be the conventional way.. given say the look of the Gucci / Adidas pants.

:laugh: I hope your wish comes true (no sarcasm intended) Though, I think no male Olympic champion can beat Kulik's shockingly avant-garde giraffe patterned costume with very strong yellow in the next 100 years (he looked cute with THAT costume by the way).

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Ok so if Grant skates the FS of his life would it even be sliiightly that he makes the Olympic team?

If he places 2nd, he will be definitely in the Olympic team I believe. However if not, or places 3rd or lower, then I think such a chance will be virtually gone as the third spot for Olympic Team will depend on how USFS views such as body of work and others.