2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs FS | Page 91 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Pairs FS

jiawen2016

On the Ice
So ecstatic for Aliona! Can't believe it has been 12 years since I first watched her at the Turin Olympics in 2006, and their LP to the music of 1492: Conquest Of Paradise was my favorite program that year. She deserves this gold so much with such a breathtaking performance! The doubled Sal in SP almost made me lose faith in humanity :palmf:, but thank you Aliona :pray: for making me believe again that if you dream big and persist through pursuing your dream, it may come true one day despite the slim chance! :clap:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Frankly, people here are treating T/M like villains who were going to stole medals from the "good guys" and just needed to get out of the way. It's just awful. I'm really glad with the podium, especially S/M, but all the bashing over T/M since the last group begun to skate was sad.

I don't think that should be the takeaway. Olympic medals are rare and there are lots of great teams. When making comparisons between fine details a program and packaging can matter. Some of us just felt strongly that theirs wasn't the program that should be rewarded.

I'm sure T/M are wonderful people and I never hoped that they would make mistakes.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I have never seen that Candyman program all the way through before and yikes, woah, so many questions.

The most important probably who approved it and let them look like that at the biggest competition, comparing to other teams... I would not bat a lash, IF this FS was improved , altered, developed, but it was always the same, just skated better or worse. Today, it was a worse day.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
The BV difference on that last spin was 0.50. That alone would have won them the gold, even with +0 GOE.

Nevermind the level 2 spin (1.0 BV lower than level 4), nevermind the single toe (1.0 BV lower, and negative GOE), nevermind the salchow step out (negative GOE).

Look at it this way: they had a 2-mistake cushion, and blew it on levels.

Thanks for this breakdown. I somehow always forget about levels and/or assume the ones at the top will always get them. S/H seemed really nervous to me. I wonder if they just kind of gave up after the mistakes? Maybe that isn't the right way to characterize it. But you could see the performance drop off. Maybe they were careless with some of their elements.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
Frankly, people here are treating T/M like villains who were going to stole medals from the "good guys" and just needed to get out of the way. It's just awful. I'm really glad with the podium, especially S/M, but all the bashing over T/M since the last group begun to skate was sad.

Thats it! And it IS sad and disgusting and frustrating

colormyworld240

Medalist
I don't think that should be the takeaway. Olympic medals are rare and there are lots of great teams. When making comparisons between fine details a program and packaging can matter. Some of us just felt strongly that theirs wasn't the program that should be rewarded.

I'm sure T/M are wonderful people and I never hoped that they would make mistakes.

That's not what they were referring to. YOU never said anything bad about T/M, just their program; that's fine. But another comment literally said "I'm glad Candyman wasn't on the podium, the good guys won, then listed the countries". Or something along those lines. That was not okay.

QuadThrow

Medalist

BabblingBrook

On the Ice
And now that I'm calmed downed a bit I have to agree with Yatagarasu - Aliona deserved that gold medal more than anything, but my heart is just broken for Sui and Han. I fall in love with them last season and were rooting for them. I think both teams deserved the gold. But after all, it was S/M who could deliver a perfect performance today

QuadThrow

Medalist
So ecstatic for Aliona! Can't believe it has been 12 years since I first watched her at the Turin Olympics in 2006, and their LP to the music of 1492: Conquest Of Paradise was my favorite program that year. She deserves this gold so much with such a breathtaking performance! The doubled Sal in SP almost made me lose faith in humanity :palmf:, but thank you Aliona :pray: for making me believe again that if you dream big and persist through pursuing your dream, it may come true one day despite the slim chance! :clap:

I remember me screaming when she touched down with her hand the 3STh at Turin's SP.

She is an idol for us all.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I feel for Evgenia, between the horrendous music, and the even more awful lyrics in that Candyman rubbish how could she focus on doing her elements?

But, OTOH, you and your partner are grown up adults, if anyone gives you that piece of crap to skate to you simply throw a Pasha Grishuk or Elena Ilinykh like fit and say, not over my dead body will I ever skate to that!! I mean don't Russian figure skaters have personal standards? Well considering the programs of B/S this season apparently not.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thats it! And it IS sad and disgusting and frustrating

You should have seen the comments on Twitch. Like they were saying "Good pop." I actually like T/M, but I agree that it was not a good program. Their program was last season would have worked better. But they're still young and barring any serious injuries, could certainly make the Beijing 2022 Olympics if they keep it up.

Jennyf

Rinkside
That was a mesmerizing FS! I am so thrilled for Aliona, and it’s true she is intensely commanding but Bruno was everything a partner should be tonight. He lets her shine and that’s their dynamic but he has to be a bedrock and he was. So different from S/H who are connected and expressive on a different level. I can’t wait to see where they go next.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Though weren't D/R second in the LP anyway?

Oh yeah, they were!

S/M deserved to win. Period.

Look at how close the result was. There are no absolutes. They had the technically easiest program of the top 4 and I wouldn't call it one of the greatest programs myself, the LP they had last season was better. The scores were extremely generous: +3 GOE across the board on that throw Salchow when the landing was not perfect, 10's on PCS.

There are arguments for Duhamel/Radford being winners with the Quad and for Sui/Han winning after being so much better in the SP (S/M and D/R were seriously not great in the SP).

Anyasnake

Record Breaker

I can understand that you have that impression. I was one of the few defending T/M for their program yesterday, which deserved their PCS very much - Classic, powerful Russian figure skating at its finest. But this is also an emotionnal place : D/R are North American and this is a North-American forum (and this is without going through the struggles), Sui/Han have a tough story and managed to skate again, and no words needed for Aljona figure skating history. So people are going to be very happy for them.

However, did you ever go on T/M instagram ? Because I've seen hundreds of comments begging them to drop that FS. Look at GPF it just imploded and the truth ? There was a concern that might transfer on to Olympic ice and that they become a laughable joke which would be unfair because they are Gold Medal calibre. That FS was truly wrong (at least change the costume), and I hope they'll regroup, they are still young. People here aren't too afraid to say what's on their mind, and I understand for the FS. No one want to see this winning OGM that's why people are "relieved".

I hope they find new choreographers, because they deserve it. They could medal in 2022.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm beyond thrilled for Aliona and Bruno. They skated a beautiful program. The Chinese had a chance and just blew it with silly little mistakes. The Canadians - other than that quad throw- are just kind of past their time IMO. Was surprised to see the Italians up there - good for them. All in all it was a very exciting competition and could have gone several different ways. Sui and Han will no doubt be back. They're young. I do have to say they are beautiful to watch and you can see Zhou's influence. Did you see Shen come into the kiss and cry and hug Aliona? The scene backstage when they all realized the Germans had won the OGM was sportsmanship at its finest.