2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance | Page 74 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Short Dance

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
I really need someone to explain how the heck H/D and P/C got so high scores in PE, IN and CO when they are the least 2 teams who skated to a “latin performance”. H/D could have been skating to anything and P/C just so focused on not being a disaster. Sure score them high in SS and TR but the teams who skated to despacito/ lower teams should have scored higher in PE, IN and TR

The main reason is that the Latin short dance pertains to Latin rhythms more than a strict Latin ballroom interpretation. Having steps that are reminiscent of Latin ballroom and having precise timing to Latin rhythms is more of what the judges are looking for. It's perfectly fine to have a traditional Latin presence with snap, sizzle, and energy like the Shibs and C/L but it's also fine to have the top teams to try and modernize those rhythms with a different piece of music that still fits the particular beat requirements but show off something more original.

casken

On the Ice
V/M worst marks came from....guess who...the French judge.

RUS, USA, CAN, FRA should all be removed from top level judging panels, IMO.

Maybe only low level federations should be allowed to judge the highest level events.

Kissx3

Final Flight
Can someone please explain me how P/C got three +3s on their twizzels?

I wish they'd crack down hard on crap like that. Like fines and suspensions for not judging the performance in front of you. Require re-certification. But it's just so ingrained in figure skating. I guess the top feds may also feel like reputation scoring benefits them all relatively equally as well.

Leppis

On the Ice
V/M worst marks came from....guess who...the French judge.

Well let's be fair here. P/C got their worst marks from the Canadian judge. But P/C have not only the french judge on their side, but also the russian and ukrainian.

Tigerlily87

On the Ice
I wish they'd crack down hard on crap like that. Like fines and suspensions for not judging the performance in front of you. Require re-certification. But it's just so ingrained in figure skating. I guess the top feds may also feel like reputation scoring benefits them all relatively equally as well.

As much as it’s changed in 20 years, it really hasn’t. Other than the phone calls before the competition telling you you’ll be 4th

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Watched V/M and P/C with my sister who is not a skating fan. She does like V/M when she's watched them but never saw P/C before.

She didn't understand the hype around P/C and said she was underwhelmed by their SD.

I have to say I agree in this case.

synteis

Medalist
skatingscores.com/2018/oly/dance/short/

The Canadian judge was definitely generous with the Canadians.

Though to be honest, the judge whose scores were most like mine is probably Jpn.

Haikush

On the Ice
For anyone still not sure what's going to happen:
PC will win the FD with a massive score, deserved or not and thus the gold. Judges made sure to keep them close with that hot mess of a program, twizzle mistake and all, and highest PCS when they were totally distracted and hardly performing

Fruitpie

On the Ice
Well let's be fair here. P/C got their worst marks from the Canadian judge. But P/C have not only the french judge on their side, but also the russian and ukrainian.

Russian and ukrainian still had VM first. US judge on the other hand...

Leppis

On the Ice
I honestly don't know enough about Ice Dance scoring to comment. Did you think that V/M's twizzles were perfect?

No, I don't. I think they should be more in the +2s than +3s. The only pair atm deserving of +3s in twizzels are the Shibs when they're on.

But given P/C's twizzle score in this comp, V/M totally deserved their points.

Ziotic

Medalist
skatingscores.com/2018/oly/dance/short/

The Canadian judge was definitely generous with the Canadians.

Though to be honest, the judge whose scores were most like mine is probably Jpn.

Judges 3,5,7, and 9 are all relatively close to Canadian judge. 3, 5 and 9 are only 0.5 different and judge 7 is 0.75.

ETA only looking at PCS

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It is almost like the judges are trying to protect the French and the Gold. It would have been fair and fine to give Virtue and Moir a 4 pt lead here or at least 3 and a bit. Technically they should have been ahead by more and definitelly the pcs. REally unless they stop scoring the French so high in thelong just because they like the classical approach and flowy approach it is gameover for Virtue and Moir. Really they are not a challenger. To be fair, though two wrongs don;t make a right if V and M make a small error they deserve tomakeit up with far higher pcs or the generous GOEs that the French got for some of their elements. today V and M had a lot more polish and fierceness they won the SD but deserved a bigger lead. its not like the judges favored the other Canadian teams and gave them a break nor should they but V and M deserved a far bigger lead or alternatively Pc deserved to score less than they got. It is so frustrating to see such judging like this. This is killing skating to the average olympic fan.

I just want to say, every skating costume I've ever seen come undone in the middle of the performance has been been a halter neck or one that closes at the neck with an open back... Maybe we should retire that particular silhouette. :noshake:

Fruitpie

On the Ice
Actually, Russian and Ukranian judges scored P/C higher, it's just the Pst level that kept them behind V/M.

Than what you can say about FRA ad US judges that somehow scored PC higher than VM even with that levels?