Marin Honda moves to Rafael Arutunian | Golden Skate

Marin Honda moves to Rafael Arutunian

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Congrats Marin!! Hope this means a upturn in her career and some Instagram interactions with Nathan lol.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I like Mie Hamada and her students, but it was pretty clear that Marin wasn’t in the right place there. I’m interested to see how this partnership will turn out, especially considering Rafael Artunian’s rather serious and strict personality. I remember being a little worried when Mariah Bell switched to him but it seems to be going well right now so who knows.

One thing I notice when I watch Marin skate is that she tends to rush into her jumps. Whether that’s due to nerves, excitement, or it’s the actual technique, it doesn’t look too pleasing and usually results in the jump going wrong. Artunian really did wonders for Ashley’s jumps, so I think he can certainly fix up Marin’s jumps too. Hopefully her artistic potential won’t take a hit though.

blackey

On the Ice
How well does Marin speak English?
Not too good. She probably know some basic but when she did choreography with marina and David Wilson, Hamada did translation for her. My guess is they will bring some translator with them at first.

liv

Record Breaker
Some kind of change needed to happen and she is young enough that time is on her side. Good luck and hope it works out for her. She has such potential.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to move to California and train :)

Good luck to her on her new journey :dance:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I haven’t seen Marin skate much and only have this image of this pretty soft Japanese teen skater. That’s a brave move to leave Japan. I imagine her mother will come with her? I’m surprised it wasn’t Borsergiven his success with Hanyu the rock star. She is just exquisite. Hopefully he can help her jumps. Good luck Marin and welcome to USA.

blackey

On the Ice
I haven’t seen Marin skate much and only have this image of this pretty soft Japanese teen skater. That’s a brave move to leave Japan. I imagine her mother will come with her? I’m surprised it wasn’t Borsergiven his success with Hanyu the rock star. She is just exquisite. Hopefully he can help her jumps. Good luck Marin and welcome to USA.

Her mother won’t go with her, she has two younger sisters I don’t think her mother will leave them there. Her older brother is going with her.

Izabela

On the Ice
Am I the only one who is kinda worried about this? I’m happy that she chose Raf and this may improve her jumping technique. But I’m also worried that this may affect her flow on ice. I hope she can keep her skating skills the way it is now (or improve it) while also getting great improvement in the jump. We may be seeing another skater with fluidity and strength if that were to happen.

I’m happy that she decided to do this, but I’m still not gonna hype this new relationship. But all in all good luck Marin! I really hope for the best outcome.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Rumors are saying Orser is taking Wakaba, and I guess two new Japanese ladies would be out of the question.

It takes a lot of bravery to move to a different country being so young, hopefully this will work out for Marin. To be honest though, Raf is not exactly a great coach for me, and I doubt he will do much for her skating quality. Maybe he can help get jumps a bit or her competitive nerves, but I'm not sure what to expect. Anyway, again, good luck Marin!

tars

Record Breaker
I didn't like when Ms Hamada went to press to openly berate Marin, hopefully Rafael will treat her like a true princess she is. :love:
Besides, California will certainly suit her! :yes:

yude

Record Breaker
This is not the official announcement from JSF or Marin herself, and it seems only Nikkan reported this news this morning so far, but I tend to believe this is true. I hope we'll have more official information afterward along with other news of coaching changes (if there is any :biggrin:)

I feel like this is very good move for Marin, and Rafael and the environment might suit her. More than anything, Taichi will go with her, which makes her relived a lot I guess. Good luck to both of them :hap10:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
And if Marin inspires Mariah Bell to up her game, it would be a win-win :)

WineHerUp

On the Ice
I'm so ready for Marin to step it up and potentially become Japan's top lady. If all of the pieces come together and she produces good results, I can foresee her becoming a skating superstar in the same vein as Mao. She has marketability and it factor which are things that can't be taught.