Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
This is true …. The players that make a grand slam will both become millionaires. Look at the prize money for the 2017 US Open.

The Winner receives $3,700,000. Runner-Up. 1,825,000

That's a lot of money. Entire ISU budget for prizes money.

A passion is a passion. Outside of the very top elite professional alpine skiers don't make millions either, but they do it with burning passion all the time they can. Rain, mud, twisted knees and bruised bodies, they keep doing it. And they cannot live without it.

OH and I love how you change your argument everytime someone refused it, Sports! Actors! Tennis! Alpine skiers!

you are making a fuss out of nothing, she does not say she was going to retire, just that she was going to sit thought the GP season, and theres nothing wrong with that, its their life, they bruised their life, train for hours, not just for seven minutes, they have to go through their program thousands of time to learn them from muscle memory, to gain just 100,000 US, for you to throw all the efforts on the floor just cause she wants to sit for half a season, wao, and yo are a figure skating follower?

moriel

Record Breaker
But not sure if someone already said it, but Osmond must try harder.
Medvedeva and ISU beat her by far in the "who provides better entertainment to FS fans during offseason" competition.

Manitou

Medalist
:confused2:

Why are you attacking me for not understanding? :)
I don't get it. I simply don't get a 22 years old athlete (or 15, or 17,...) who doesn't want to keep doing it every possible moment and every possible day. I simply don't understand.
And again - it's not against just Kaetlyn. In my previous post I applied it to an entire group of skaters. Many of them. Including my faves.
It's more philosophical than technical.

OH and I love how you change your argument everytime someone refused it, Sports! Actors! Tennis! Alpine skiers!

You are putting a lot of emotions into this.
I am not changing arguments. It's the same argument all the time.
YOu don't have to keep motivating Vonn, Shiffrin, Gut, Weirather, Goggia and others to ski and ski. Mountain is their home. They admit when they cannot ski they are depressed. They simply cannot sit and watch other ski.
Why is this not in skating too?
It's a question, not an argument...

All people have the right to live their lives the way they enjoy the most. All people have the right to sometimes give themselves permission to do nothing, absolutely nothing. All people have the right to not revolve their entire life around only one point. All people have the right to obtain more than one skill, knowledge, strength, after all it is easier to fly with two wings instead of just one.

Why are you attacking me for not understanding? :)
I don't get it. I simply don't get a 22 years old athlete (or 15, or 17,...) who doesn't want to keep doing it every possible moment and every possible day. I simply don't understand.
And again - it's not against just Kaetlyn. In my previous post I applied it to an entire group of skaters. Many of them. Including my faves.
It's more philosophical than technical.

is not attacking, is not understanding why you said things like that, its like you dont even know how much hard figure skating is, and if you dont then go and do your research before attacking a lady who decided to take a break from her career, you know figure skaters has no vacations? they have like a week or two before going on tour because the money is not enough to fed themselves and then go back and work on their new routines, not mentioning the press coverage they have to do to promote themselves, you compare FS with sports who win double as them, who can buy FS with what a bunch of players win. dont victimized yourself, you started this

"This is something I will probably never understand. How can an athlete not want to do their sport? So why is she doing it at all? Tennis players play exhausting matches all year around, week after week. Basketball, swimming, tracks, soccer, skiing. In every sport the time when they do their sports is what drives them through their lives. It's their burning passion and mission. And Kaetlyn needs time to recharge for seven minutes total in a year.
I will never understand it."

"Do you take year long break from your job, just because you need "motivation", or do you just get up each morning and keep going, like it or not?"

I explain it to you in my first response, and you keep nagging about it, bragging how other athletes had more "work ethic" than figure skaters (yet FS had less cases of doping than the others but alright), well if you like them that much, leave, we have enough negativity here.

ETA: not just me, other people explain it too

regarding Osmond, isnt the GrandPrix not that big in comparison with others competitions? I dont see anything back, as long as she comes back stronger than ever. All ladies knows the deal there, we know what it is

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
A passion is a passion. Outside of the very top elite professional alpine skiers don't make millions either, but they do it with burning passion all the time they can. Rain, mud, twisted knees and bruised bodies, they keep doing it. And they cannot live without it.

:drama:

TeamTCC

Rinkside
I'm really shocked that this happened but I wish all the best for Kaetlyn and that she comes back stronger than ever when she competes

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Burnout is a real thing — even with things you love and are passionate about —and it is actually mature to know when you’re reached your limits and to take a step back.

I wish Kaetlyn the best this fall and I hope we’ll get to see her skating again, but understand if she decides to step back.

FWIW, it took Davis and White about three years before deciding they were going to retire and not go for a third Olympics.

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
Why all the hate?

Where is the hate?
My question might be actually important. I am watching several sports very closely. Figure skating is one of them. And is the only one with such a high rate of burnouts and early retirements. Not present in other sports. In fact, I don't know any other sport with such issues. And this is what I don't understand - what is so specific in figure skating?
Why can't figure skating be compared to other sports or activities - skiing, snowboarding, swimming - where passion is the very foundation, while in figure skating burnout is an issue.
I think I may know the answer, but why can't I ask the forum about it? Plus, I don't think my answer would be popular here. But it's an off-season, so maybe it makes sense to think about it.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Dear Manitou. I don't think it's hating at all. Just misunderstanding. When you came up with the 7 minutes, did you really think you'd get a way with this argument? As if the 7 minutes in a competition (if you make the long, otherwise it's even less), is the thing. It requires so much training, stamina, restrictions in living, eating, drinking just to get these minutes. And again, and again. I for one can understand the need for a time out. Does that make a skater less passionate about his/her sport? Certainly not, just being careful about the body and what's next. To which I think every skater is entitled. Not talking about the income at all here. I don't think that plays a part in Kaetlyn's decision. Her overall well being and how she perceives this, does. Let her enjoy her sabbatical and let's not call her passion about the sport into question please. Having experienced the injury she had, as well as her negative results right after that and then rising as a Phoenix out of the ashes says right enough about her passion. But the sport can be tiring. I hope she enjoys it all, and eventually will be back with a vengeance!

Scout

Final Flight
The implication that passion is not present in figure skaters, that Kaetlyn is not passionate about her sport, that taking a break from competition means you aren't passionate...that is hurtful.

I don't compete at the moment. And I'm not, nor will I ever be, an elite figure skater. Does that mean that I'm not passionate about the sport?

There's a difference between being passionate about a sport and being passionate about competing. And taking a break from competing doesn't imply that you aren't passionate about competing. Maybe there are other opportunities to pursue, coming off her amazing season. Opportunities that are available now and not tomorrow.

lesnar001

Record Breaker
Where is the hate?
My question might be actually important. I am watching several sports very closely. Figure skating is one of them. And is the only one with such a high rate of burnouts and early retirements. Not present in other sports. In fact, I don't know any other sport with such issues. And this is what I don't understand - what is so specific in figure skating?
Why can't figure skating cannot be compared to other sports or activities - skiing, snowboarding, swimming - where passion is the very foundation, while in figure skating burnout is an issue.
I might think I know the answer, but why can't I ask the forum about it? It's an off-season, so maybe it makes sense to think about it.

Your original post reached the conclusion that if Kaetlyn took time off it meant she didn't love skating.

As long as I have been following figure skating - most skaters have retired from competitive skating at an early age.

Dorothy Hamill, Peggy Fleming, Janet Lynn, Kristi Yamaguchi, Tara Lipinski, Michelle Kwan (although "old" by skating standards) from the USA
Others off the top of my head ---- Mao Asada, Yu Na Kim, Yuka Sato, etc...

I think these skaters loved skating - judging by their involvement with skating even after "retirement".

Even if they hadn't still been connected to skating - so what?

I wonder if people in 1956 cursed Tenley Albright for "retiring" young - "Should have kept skating 'til she was 35 --- never mind becoming a doctor!!!!"

We don't even know what Kaetlyn's ultimate plans are - all we know is that she is skipping 3 competitions.

Scout

Final Flight
Where is the hate?
And is the only one with such a high rate of burnouts and early retirements. Not present in other sports. In fact, I don't know any other sport with such issues.

Let me introduce you to the sport of gymnastics.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Didn’t Virtue and Moir take a year off and came back and won the Olympic Gold, Not because you take time off, you become a couch potato..Osmond is just not doing the GP and even if she do retire, that’s her prerogative. She won’t be the first skater to retire. Best of luck girl...

Yes they did and we saw where that landed them. ;)

I'm all for breaks. A skater knows when it's necessary and I'm supportive of Kaetlyn in what she so chooses.

Manitou

Medalist
..(long and very good post)....

When Tina Weirather or Lindsey Vonn are on a mountain they feel free and inspired. The mountain, cold air, breathtaking views and the feel of powder and speed define their lives. They cannot live without it. They are part of a unique culture, and when they are forced to take a break they feel depressed watching others compete.
Same with snowboarders - or even more - as they are missing the entire social culture and lifestyle associated with the sport. They breathe with their sports, it gives them sense of living and fills them with energy. There is no burnout.

I would think it should be the same with skating - go to the ice early in the morning, feel the cold, being both an artist and an athlete. And then the lights of competition, glamour of performance, the people in the arena, the costume and the role. It must be intoxicating. I never did figure skating myself, but I can imagine it must be the feeling. I am a skier, I feel the mountain, it's my passion, but I can imagine it must be a similar passion on the ice rink. Both in training and in competition.
For skiers mountain is the home, for skaters it's the ice. Should be the same thing. The same energy and life force.

So where is the difference? Why doesn't it even cross Shiffrin's mind to take a break, while it's a reality for Kaetlyn and others?

NaVi

Medalist
regarding Osmond, isnt the GrandPrix not that big in comparison with others competitions? I dont see anything back, as long as she comes back stronger than ever. All ladies knows the deal there, we know what it is

I don't really care what Osmond does... I understand people need some time off... but...

2010 - Yuna... wins Olympics and never skates in another Grand Prix event.
2010 - Asada... wins Worlds and actually does skate in the next GP... but comes in 5th and 8th at her GP events.
2011 - Ando... wins Worlds and announces she'll miss the next GP but she ends up never skating in another GP event.
2012 - Kostner... wins Worlds and skips the GP season...
2013 - Yuna... wins Worlds and misses the GP with an "injury" after she had been selected for events. I think there were people not very happy with this.
2014 - Sotnikova... wins(or "wins" depending on your perspective) the Olympics and skips the GP the next season... ends up dancing with the stars.
2014 - Asada... wins Worlds and skips the next season...
2015 - Tuktymysheva... wins Worlds and does skate in the next GP.... but does not qualify for the GPF.

The 2016 GPF(with Medvedeva) was the first GPF since 2009(with Yuna) where the the Worlds/Olympics champion in the previous season even qualified for the GPF. This absolutely has to have had an effect on the popularity of the sport. I've seen the tv ratings over the years and IIRC they were slowly declining since 1999 and then nose dived after 2010 and it's still hovering around the same area. Figure skating is a highly repetitive sport... I understand needing some time off... but it's really not healthy for everyone who reaches the top to skip the grand prix the next year.

Before 2010, here's a list of skaters during the GPF era who missed the GPF after winning Worlds/Olympics.

1998 - Lipinski... wins Olympics and retires(I don't really count this)
1998 - Kwan... wins silver at Olympics then gold at Worlds... skips the GP the next season but probably making bank during that downtime.
2002 - Hughes... wins Olympics and skips the GP... goes to one final Worlds and gets 6th.
2003 - Kwan... wins Worlds at her 10th Worlds... never skates in another GP event again.
2006 - Arakawa... wins Olympics and retires(I don't really count this)
2006 - Meissner... wins Worlds and barely misses the GPF

There were 6 misses of the Worlds/Olympic champions from the next season's GPF in 1995-2009 vs 8 from 2010-2015... and those 6 misses had far better excuses than the 8.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
FWIW

many professions allow for time off...for instance, some careers related to sales like real estate or insurances :some brokers are known to work very hard for several months and then take a season off.

university profs get sabbatical

I make my own schedule as I am my own business...so is Kaetlyn...why the fuss?

and please, do not question any elite skater's passion...they've been at it all their lives and in Kaetlyn's case, she fought back for 18 months to get back after a serious injury..

Passion also benefits from rest.

:drama: