2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Women's Short Program | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Grand Prix Final Senior Women's Short Program

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
she seems very low energy
Isabeau has said she needs a lot of sleep. She obviously trains very hard. I'm sure travel to China is very taxing. Perhaps she is just run down at this point of the season. I hope that is all that it is. I kinda hope she cries herself into a deep, deep sleep and comes back to the Isabeau we love tomorrow.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I got vertigo at that point
I know! Also I wondered for a moment if Kaori fell, it was hard to tell at that angle!

Man, now I have to decide...I've got work tomorrow, do I stay up for the RD or not?

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know! Also I wondered for a moment if Kaori fell, it was hard to tell at that angle!

Man, now I have to decide...I've got work tomorrow, do I stay up for the RD or not?
I'm staying if that helps you decide.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker
Looks a bit like the juniors awoke Rinky's appetite and the seniors paid the price. Decent event but as a GPF I was hoping for a little more. 😐

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Isabeau has said she needs a lot of sleep. She obviously trains very hard. I'm sure travel to China is very taxing. Perhaps she is just run down at this point of the season. I hope that is all that it is. I kinda hope she cries herself into a deep, deep sleep and comes back to the Isabeau we love tomorrow.

I just saw on goldsk8's Instagram, Isabeau said she's a little bit sick right now :(

auser

Record Breaker

If I get a vote, yes it would be great to see you for RD. ;)

labgoat

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations to Kaori & Loena for getting the job done even though things are not perfect. Those who had setbacks - tomorrow is another day. You girls are all winners just by being here!

reader3

Chicago Lady
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well done to Kaori and Loena. Sorry to hear that Loena is injured.

Sad about Isabeau. Perhaps she is also injured.

triplelutzzzzz

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Kaori had a wonderful performance, her 3f looked off axis, but still a wonderful skate. Nina also had an incredible performance today! Very good musicality, her combo looked a little tight, but other than that it was a really amazing skate!

Loena said she had an injured back and just got back from being sick after the Cup of China, Isabeau said she was a little sick. (from the GoldSkate IG) I hope the both of them are able to rest up and recover before the free.

Rion and Hana both had amazing step sequences and nice spins, but they both either fell or popped a jump, which is unfortunate because they both have fun programs this year, but I think tomorrow they hopefully could recover?

All together, a bit unexpected, but definitely an interesting short program.

Best of luck to the women tomorrow!

macy

Record Breaker
Kaori was sublime!

Poor Isabeau. She looks so upset in that picture. It's so hard when you're a perfectionist and things just don't go how you trained. I hope she is kind to herself today and comes back strong and feeling better tomorrow. you can't be perfect all the time.

Very happy Loena pulled it back together after the flip. She is very well trained, enough so she has no problem tacking on a 3T to another jump. she's become a very strong competitor the last couple years.

icewhite

Record Breaker
I think Isabeau should get a new coach, better programs, and they should take care of her mentally and techniquewise. She's really young, she still has years for improvement and great results if they develop her properly. At the moment it feels like she's just getting pushed into something.

Isk

On the Ice
I disagree that Nina should receive the same or higher PCS as Rion and Hana. The number of things in the transitions may look similar, but if we look at the beginning of the programs for Rion and Nina, for example, here is what they have:

Rion:
Lunge, roll, mohawk, cross-over, stop, 3-trun on 2 feet into inside ina bauer, cross-over, cross-over, choctaw, three-turn, roll, cross-over, 2 cross-overs, choctaw, cross-over, mohawk, cross-over, spread-eagle, cross-over into a
2A with a nice long running edge

Nina:
Arm movements, lunge, arm movements, roll, arabesque, 3-turn, arabesque, mohawk, 3-turn, mohawk, cross-over, choctaw, 3-turn, cross-over, leg-kick, mohawk, 3 cross-overs, stroke, arabesque, mohawk into a
3L-3T

Looks similar in quantity, but with these steps, Nina goes from the starting pose to the short boardside of the rink in a simple pattern, and then across the rink to the opposite short board on a straight line. Rion did the same, but both times in a more complicated curvy serpantine-like pattern with multiple changes of direction, filling up the rink from long side to long side.

In the middle of the program after the flying camel, Nina does a lot of turns on or around the same spot, whereas Rion never stops moving. Overall, Rion did 3 couters (one of them poor quality) and 1 bracket (poor quality), Nina did 1 poor quality rocker, and both girls did a fair number of choctaws (Nina's overall worse-resolved) and other simpler turns. Nina did a couple more inside ina bauers and she also did a nice spiral into the 2A and a split-jump and several leg-kicks (honestly, I don't see why she needs them in this program, it's more of a "because I can" thing).

It's pretty clear to me who has better skating skills, yet Nina is placed higher. Transition-wise, Rion's come mostly from the blades, Nina has more body, leg and arm movements, OK, maybe they are even (and that's how the judges have them). Presentation-wise, Rion has better posture, overall her skating is lighter, more effortless, yet Nina is higher.

Last edited: