Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events

If you mean that all russian skaters are like Adelina you're dead wrong.

Osmond's career lasted just as much as Elena Radionova, Anna Pogorilaya (which technically they are still not retired),...

Tuktamysheva is still there competing after 7 seasons in seniors.

Comparing Osmond and Mao careers is also not fair considering Mao competed for more than 10 years in seniors, and went to both 2010 and 2014 Olympics.

I was speaking about longevity and medals, are this the top skaters on their fed? no

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
The fed will invest more money, more politicking in young and talented girls who are the future. If Kostner won titles, others can do that too.

If you look at our new talents, they all have good/great artistry but all kinds of issues with the jumps.

We need more technicians (we have Franca and that's pretty much it) so you can invite these coaches to work here or send these skaters abroad.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
synteis;2109547 [B said:
I sincerely hope for very selfish reasons [/B]that she comes back because no one in the Ladies field jumps like her and I've loved watching her perform to such a high standard. But that being said, I want her to do what's right for her. We've seen some incredible skaters seem to lose motivation and begin a decline and that's always so disappointing and heartbreaking to see. I also don't want that for her.

That being said, who knows, maybe she's taking the time off to learn a quad and she'll show up at CanNats with a quad toe or a quad loop :p That's certainly what I'm rooting my fingers for.

Agreed re selfish reasons, synteis. While she will be missed on the GP circuit, this is not unexpected given her schedule since Worlds & Olympics. Having won more medals the last two seasons than any other in her field, and the demands of her schedule with tours, interviews, media and her recent endorsements, I know she must be feeling exhausted.

I still remain hopeful for her return but understand that Kaetlyn knows herself best and her future is for her to decide. In the interim and looking back, ...what a wonderful ride!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
to those saying it would be hard for her to come back after a few months off... ermmm... we are talking about a woman who has come back after a year off-ice due to a very serious injury.... if I trust anyone to regain form after a few months off, it's Kaetlyn.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I was speaking about longevity and medals, are this the top skaters on their fed? no

Osmond has no longevity in being successful too. She was not a top girl the major part of her career. She became a world top girl and started winning titles and medals her two last seasons, in her 20s.

Osmond has not longevity in being successful too. She was not a top girl the major part of her career. She became a world top girl and started winning titles and medals her two last seasons, in her 20s.

thats why we cant compare her to skaters who win titles at her 15-17 and disappear afterwards

russian has different ways to do things, why we have to compare the skaters to them, every time I see someone talking about the career of a skater I saw other people comparing them to other three russians that somewhat relate together, thats my problem, there is more in this world than them

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

True, but that's a very weird comparison, cause Kaetlyn Osmond's was Canada's best skater for like 3-4 years but only because there was nobody else, a very weak competition inside your country, in fact despite she won the title in 2013 and 2014, outside of Canada she wasn't a top contender at all back then (then she had the injury)

In Russia all these skaters are not top contenders for 5 years in a row because there is a very tough competition internally: Russian Nationals is like the English Premier League, you can't win it every single year simply because that's the toughest league in the world. For figure skating in Russia the competition is more on who's the leading coach.

BTW Medvedeva is still there, and she is still one of the top skaters (if you look at longevity / world medals, she is still the best atm), this will be her 4th year in seniors.

True, but that's a very weird comparison, cause Kaetlyn Osmond's was Canada's best skater for like 3-4 years but only because there was nobody else, a very weak competition inside your country, in fact despite she won the title in 2013 and 2014, outside of Canada she wasn't a top contender at all back then (then she had the injury)

In Russia all these skaters are not top contenders for 5 years in a row because there is a very tough competition internally: Russian Nationals is like the English Premier League, you can't win it every single year simply because that's the toughest league in the world.

BTW Medvedeva is still there, and she is still one of the top skaters (if you look at longevity / world medals, she is still the best atm), this will be her 4th year in seniors.

I know :laugh: it was just an example, I compare the two of them cause its more likely, Russia is very different (we all know that) it was just an example to other comparisons

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Osmond has not longevity in being successful too. She was not a top girl the major part of her career. She became a world top girl and started winning titles and medals her two last seasons, in her 20s.

Yes, after a year and a half of being sidelined by major injuries, she would rise to the top. Imagine how World results might have been, had an 18 year old been healthy, and not had to relearn to skate in those years, yume.

WineHerUp

On the Ice
I've always felt Kaetlyn was the only "grown-up" woman skater, who has right to criticize current age limit and rapid PCS rise of rookie Russians in contrary to other stars wiping the ice, constantly urring and "shimmying out" their PCS alongside technically mediocre performances.
In my eyes only Osmond delivered so many perfect or near-perfect, super impressive technically and artistically skates, giving her right to complain about that.

Which, afaik, she's never did. Respect to the World Champion! :clapper:

Exactly this. Skaters who feel that they deserve a higher PCS for exaggerated facial expressions and for merely being "more mature" are the absolute worst :disapp:. I applaud Kaetlyn for remaining so classy even when facing scoring discrepancies. She allowed her skating to do the talking for her and got her point across much more effectively :clap:.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I know :laugh: it was just an example, I compare the two of them cause its more likely, Russia is very different (we all know that) it was just an example to other comparisons

Got it.

Still, we shouldn't diminish what Kaetlyn has accomplished in the past two years coming from a very harsh injury.

I was the first one who didn't believe she was capable of being that consistent especially this season.

Got it.

Still, we shouldn't diminish what Kaetlyn has accomplished in the past two years coming from a very harsh injury.

I was the first one who didn't believe she was capable of being that consistent especially this season.

I actually didnt know about the injured, my respect for her has grown, since I found out about her I always like her, so classy and sassy, was looking forward to seeing her this season, oh well, her health and confort is more important

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yes, after a year and a half of being sidelined by major injuries, she would rise to the top. Imagine how World results might have been, had an 18 year old been healthy, and not had to relearn to skate in those years, yume.

I can imagine. She could have rise at the top. As she could have still inconsistent with low PCS and win nothing.

Manitou

Medalist
This is something I will probably never understand. How can an athlete not want to do their sport? So why is she doing it at all? Tennis players play exhausting matches all year around, week after week. Basketball, swimming, tracks, soccer, skiing. In every sport the time when they do their sports is what drives them through their lives. It's their burning passion and mission. And Kaetlyn needs time to recharge for seven minutes total in a year.
I will never understand it.

dobrevaria

Rinkside
A bit sad because I wanted to see her next season but I can understand why she is doing that. However, even if I'm sure she is capable of overcoming many hardships, I fear it will be difficult for her to comeback. Each time a skater is taking a break I'm kind of worried because except some rare cases, they don't have the same level anymore when they return (the exception being Virtue / Moir for me). But since she already did an amazing comeback in the past, everything is possible. I trust her.
Good luck !

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
My my people have put her out to pasture already....People still can’t accept that she won the World Championship all on her own and still harping on it. All the little Russian Robots couldn’t stand the heat and all bombed. Osmond’s Gold was expected and Alina chocking at Worlds was’t expected either. Medvedeva chocking at the Olymoucs wasn’t expected either. 🙂

Ok ok ok she would have win no matter what, and herself saying that she didn't expect winning gold is a fluke.......my bad.

I was really happy when she won btw. No praise is not hate you know.

Manitou

Medalist
A bit sad because I wanted to see her next season but I can understand why she is doing that. However, even if I'm sure she is capable of overcoming many hardships, I fear it will be difficult for her to comeback. Each time a skater is taking a break I'm kind of worried because except some rare cases, they don't have the same level anymore when they return (the exception being Virtue / Moir for me). But since she already did an amazing comeback in the past, everything is possible. I trust her.
Good luck !

Do you take year long break from your job, just because you need "motivation", or do you just get up each morning and keep going, like it or not?

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Her career, her choice. Everyone should have the right to make their own decisions and live their own life. Of course you also have the right to face the consequences of your own decisions.

Whatever Kaetlyn decides to do I hope she is a happy and fulfilled. If I were her I would stay home with dog and cat and netflix and chill.

Ziotic

Medalist
She was also 4th at worlds after the short one year before the injury. Then had a disaster free.

I think it’s morw likely that she would have been at the top with decent skates had it not been for the injury.