Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events | Golden Skate

Osmond to sit out 2018-19 Grand Prix events

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTTAWA, ON: World champion Kaetlyn Osmond, 22, Marystown, Nfld./Edmonton, Alta., will skip the ISU Grand Prix circuit this year.

“For the past years, my focus has been on the 2018 Olympic Winter Games and I worked really hard to achieve my goals. The 2017-2018 season went far beyond any of my own expectations and now I need time to refocus and evaluate the next steps in my career,” said Osmond. “While I still love competing and performing, I will be exploring other exciting opportunities during this time. I wish all the skaters competing on the ISU Grand Prix circuit the best of luck."

In 2018, Osmond became the first Canadian woman to win the world championship title in 45 years. Osmond also won gold in the team event and bronze in women’s singles at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games in PyeongChang. She is a three-time Canadian champion and is coached by Ravi Walia in Edmonton, Alta.

Last edited:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Disappointing but not surprising. I think she is likely rethinking her goals now that this season is over, I am glad she is taking time to think about her future motivation though.

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
My first thought when I saw the headline was"Oh no, not another injury!" I'm glad she's just taking some me time instead

Sveta

On the Ice
This is big news, but I totally understanding this decision. It's hard for Kaetlyn to gain the form but she will be on her peak at Worlds, very strategic and smart.
All the best for next season :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kaetlyn is only 22 (turning 23 in December) so it doesn't seem as if she is contemplating retirement. I just wonder what the other "exciting opportunities" are. She can't skate in other shows during the GP season without incurring the wrath of the ISU, so the opportunities would have to be non-skating. Maybe trying acting, as Tara and Sasha Cohen did?

lusk8

Record Breaker
Really love her skating and her personality, wish her all the happiness in the world fulfilling her dreams for this upcoming season whatever they may be.

Galas won’t be the same without her EX programs.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
I'm sad about it but good luck to her! I wonder what she's planning to do during GP season if she's not gonna be doing shows!

tars

Record Breaker
She's getting off the stage as a queen of the sport. Perfect exit. :points::clapper:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I thought she was going to hold on for the GPF in Canada, so i'm a bit surprised.

At the same time though, it's frankly the best time for her to take a break or retire.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good for her. I’m glad she’s in a spot where she is comfortable enough to do this. She should be able to easily make the nationals team and still 4CC and World if she wants. Take a break girl...we aren’t going anywhere.

Zhenya is about to be the star of Skate Canada? :think:

Spinning

On the Ice
Smart move for her. With her past injuries, she will have time to rest and nursing her body back for the next OG.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It is an official ISU rule, made to prevent Olympic-eligible skaters from participating in non-ISU sanctioned skating events that take place at the same time as ISU events like the GP series, or ISU Championship events.

Kaetlyn could do a TV show like "The Bachelor" or "Bachelorette" but she couldn't skate in Cirque du Soleil

russianfan

Match Penalty
So, she is most likely retiring. Can't say I wasn't expecting this, but I thought she will be competing for 1-2 seasons more.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Good for her. I’m glad she’s in a spot where she is comfortable enough to do this. She should be able to easily make the nationals team and still 4CC and World if she wants. Take a break girl...we aren’t going anywhere.

Zhenya is about to be the star of Skate Canada? :think:

don't forget Gabby is seeded now... and will get Skate Canada as 4-6 seed (she is now 6th and could end up 5th seed if Caro sits out as well)... So I wouldn't be surprised to see Wakaba + Gabby as seeds at SC

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
don't forget Gabby is seeded now... and will get Skate Canada as 4-6 seed (she is now 6th and could end up 5th seed if Caro sits out as well)... So I wouldn't be surprised to see Wakaba + Gabby as seeds at SC

We’ll see....I love Gabby too but have a gut feeling we’ll see Zhenya at SC now. :popcorn: