2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating | Page 488 | Golden Skate

2020-21 Russian Ladies' Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
What is it that we trying to "win"? A contest to see who can shout more loudly and belligerently than someone else? How does it hurt anyone if a Japanese fan thinks their skaters are great? Russian ladies won everything for the last couple of years. No angry "Knock this chip off my shoulder" words can add to or detract from that fact. Why not be a gracious winner? (A gracious winner, after all, is a winner.)
Agreed. I think it actually takes away from how great Russian ladies figure skating is right now and how talented their ladies are when you diminish the talents and achievements of others.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I didn't even know a junior Russian Cup event was happening today! I just watched a video of Adelia Petrosyan and I love her to bits! So cute, and she never looks bored. She looks like she LOVES skating. 76+ sp score, is she in the top 3 (or better yet, in 1st)? I can't find info in English about it.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I didn't even know a junior Russian Cup event was happening today! I just watched a video of Adelia Petrosyan and I love her to bits! So cute, and she never looks bored. She looks like she LOVES skating. 76+ sp score, is she in the top 3 (or better yet, in 1st)? I can't find info in English about it.
She has a 10 point lead, there are three girls behind at 66 points, including Berestovskaya

readernick

Medalist
It should also be noted that 4CC last season was a very happy competition. The whole top 10 scored season's best - which might suggest that the level of the overall scoring was very generous.
4CC is always scored conservatively compared to Europeans. The PCS and GOE received was lower than in GPs. What was better was the performances of the ladies. (not compared to the Russians but compared to their previous performances) Rika, for instance, got lower GOE than she did at both NHk and Skate Canada and lower PCS in the short and long. The only lady scored generously was Young You who got hometown inflation.

Last edited:

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
She's a cutie!! She's in first with a 10 point lead!! Although, Elizabeth has 2 quads so it's not done yet!

readernick

Medalist
You noticed that too huh? ;)
Competition level was a little bit different there
As in better? Excluding the top 3 Russian girls who are obviously amazing, the competition at 4CC which includes Koreans, Americans and Japanese is generally at a much higher level than the other European ladies. And, if you want to talk scoring at Europeans Alexia P.. scored 20 points higher than she had all season. Emmi Peltonen also got PB scores, and the list goes on... European scoring is ridiculous in its inflation at times. A claim that really can't be made at 4CC.

silveruskate

On the Ice
Back to the Russian ladies, how tall do we think the skaters are now?

Daria is slightly taller than Anna and Kamila, and around the same height as Alexandra. They're all so close in height. All of them are taller than Liza who is listed as 157cm, but is she shorter than that?

I saw from last year that Evgenia and Mariah Bell are the same height. Mariah is listed as 163cm. And Alina is shorter than Evgenia.

If we think about how Sasha and Anna looked two years ago, Daria and Kamila are REALLY tall in comparison at the same age.

readernick

Medalist
Back to the Russian ladies, how tall do we think the skaters are now?

Daria is slightly taller than Anna and Kamila, and around the same height as Alexandra. They're all so close in height. All of them are taller than Liza who is listed as 157cm, but is she shorter than that?

I saw from last year that Evgenia and Mariah Bell are the same height. Mariah is listed as 163cm. And Alina is shorter than Evgenia.

If we think about how Sasha and Anna looked two years ago, Daria and Kamila are REALLY tall in comparison at the same age.
They do look tall. I worry that they may begin struggling with growth even earlier than most Eteri girls do, which makes me sad because as a group they are my favorite of the ladies that have emerged from that camp as juniors. (I am a sucker for good SS and they all have good basics, although Alena is still my absolute favorite) I think Maiia's consistency is always an issue due to her height. I hope they are given time to adjust to any growth that occurs because they are all technically and artistically gifted young ladies.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
It should also be noted that 4CC last season was a very happy competition. The whole top 10 scored season's best - which might suggest that the level of the overall scoring was very generous.
I looked into it a bit more. To say that was true just of 4CC is also misleading. Excluding Anna, Alena, and Sasha (who have already been discussed at length), Alexia Paganini in 4th got her SB and PB in her SP, FS, and total; Emmi Peltonen in 5th got her SB and PB in her SP, FS, and total; Eva-Lotta Kiibus in 7th got her SB and PB FS, her SB and PB total (at the time), and was just over less than .2 below her SB and PB in her SP (at the time); Alessia Tornaghi in 8th had her best senior SP score; Mae-Berenice Melte in 9th had her SB SP, FS, and total; Maia Mazzara in 11th had her best SP senior score and her SB and PB FS and total; and Linnea Ceder in 12th had her SB and PB SP, Fs, and total. So maybe, just maybe, skaters tend to go on a trajectory as the seasons go on?

Amei

Record Breaker
No it wasn't the worst comp for Anna and Alena. For Sasha, yes.

Anna
CS Lombardia Trophy 218.20
GP Skate America 227.76
GP Cup of China 226.04
GPF 240.92
RusNats 261.87
Europeans 237.76
Euro's was Anna's 2nd best competiton internationally

Sasha
CS Ondrej Nepela 238.69
GP Skate Canada 241.02
GP Rostelecom Cup 234.47
GPF 233.18
RusNats 226.34
Euros 225.34
For Sasha the GPF, RusNats and Euros were the worst comps.

Kostornaia
CS Finlandia Trophy 234.84
GP IdF 236.00
GP NHK 240.00
GPF 247.59
RusNats 259.83
Euro's 240.81
For Alena Euro's was an average score if you have a look at all of her international scores

Perhaps points-wise it wasn't a 'terrible' outing, but if you look at what was executed on the technical side, Euros was their worst competition. I generally ignore nationals results outside of team placements, so I'm ignoring that on your reply. Shcherbakova specifically where you say it was her "second best competition internationally" consider also when you look at her scores: Lombardia Trophy there was only 1 quad attempt, Skate America and Cup of China she only did 2 quads at each event. Additionally, her PCS scores rose throughout the season that makes her Europeans score better, SP PCS Lombardia: 30.64, Europeans: 35.17; FS PCS: Lombardia 64.32, Europeans 71.19 points. Put it this way with Shcherbakova's scores - her FS at Europeans which had 2 more quads in it only scored a little over 3 points more in TES than at Lombardia trophy.

readernick

Medalist
Perhaps points-wise it wasn't a 'terrible' outing, but if you look at what was executed on the technical side, Euros was their worst competition. I generally ignore nationals results outside of team placements, so I'm ignoring that on your reply. Shcherbakova specifically where you say it was her "second best competition internationally" consider also when you look at her scores: Lombardia Trophy there was only 1 quad attempt, Skate America and Cup of China she only did 2 quads at each event. Additionally, her PCS scores rose throughout the season that makes her Europeans score better, SP PCS Lombardia: 30.64, Europeans: 35.17; FS PCS: Lombardia 64.32, Europeans 71.19 points. Put it this way with Shcherbakova's scores - her FS at Europeans which had 2 more quads in it only scored a little over 3 points more in TES than at Lombardia trophy.
Because, of falls and URs not because she was underscored. She had a downgrade and fall on her 4Lz, an ur on her 4F, and she ur her 3Lz3lo. Given these issues, her score was very generous. However, I don't think it was Anna's worst competition.

It was Sasha's worst international competition. However, Sasha's scores trended downward all season. It is this downward trend that made it very likely that Rika who was tending upward ( due to being injury free and adding in her 3Lz) could have medaled at Worlds.

Anyway, back to the current season. Adelia is so cute! What a natural performer, between her and Elizaveta the juniors are overflowing with performance skills and cuteness.

Last edited:

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Interesting. The Mishin girls Gulyakova, Samodurova and Tuktamysheva will compete at Ice Star in Minsk this weekend.
Also, ex-Russians Sidorova, Safonova and Ryabova will be there.

Ice Star isn't a Challenger competition this year though, so the results won't count for Season's Best.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Interesting. The Mishin girls Gulyakova, Samodurova and Tuktamysheva will compete at Ice Star in Minsk this weekend.
Also, ex-Russians Sidorova, Safonova and Ryabova will be there.

Ice Star isn't a Challenger competition this year though, so the results won't count for Season's Best.
I'm a big fan of the Mishin ladies and Ryabova so this sounds like a competition I'd really enjoy watching. Will there be a stream?

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
When did anyone say that the "Japanese field looks more impressive"? I believe all anyone argued is that the Japanese field is also deep (every year top skaters are left home) and their top skaters are comparable to Russian top skaters - Rika to Alena, Anna, and Sasha and everyone else to everyone else.
I understand the bickering started with the following message which I cannot name anything but provocation:

What depth? Where is this depth in Russian ladies skating everybody is talking about? Every year one or two new promissing faces showing up means nothing. It's just a lot of hype about nothing. People think about past promissing skaters and their perception says "huh, it's so crowded there". No it's not. Everybody is beatable. At this moment, there's more depth in Japanese skating.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
It wasn't you but another user did state very dimissively that Japanese ladies have more depth than Russian ladies which I think is why emotions escalated here.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone could dis-count Rika as a contender considering she jumped a rotated 4S last season (fall but still rotated). I would definitely put her in tier 1.

For me, this would be the veteran trio of last season. My tier list would be as follows (please don't come at me, this is just for fun).

Tier 1 (230-250):
Anna, Sasha, Alena, Kamila
Tier 2 (210-230):
Alina, Evgenia, Liza, Daria, Ksenia
Tier 3 (190-210):
Maiia, Anna Frolova (also Vasilieva and Tarakanova but they may not be skating this year)
Tier 4 (170+):
All the well known girls who have trouble getting out of the country.
Sakhanovich, Gubanova, Guliakova, Tsibinova, Shulskaya, Talailaykina, Nugumanova etc.
Plus the ones who are inconsistent or had a bad season -> Konstantinova and Samodurova
One thing is that we cannot place Kamila in any tier yet as she is only 14. Her participation in test skates with seniors, in Russian Cup, and presumably in the Russian Nationals is just a reflection of her tremendous potential. But if we have WCs this season she will compete once again with Alysa not with Rika.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
With the rising social unrest in Belarus and threat of civil war, with possible interference of Russian military?

The state sports agency ran a complete live stream of the national championships in speed skating, which had like 10 viewers online ...

Perhaps one better not taint himself, since participating can turn into a political statement against ones' will?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.