2021 Skate America: Pairs Short Program | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate America: Pairs Short Program

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yup, the SBS spin were generously scored, but I guess it's like with B/K SBS jump....
It's like with political scoring and 'in-the-bag' scoring. Clearly, the quality of the American teams is exciting, but this is the same-old, same-old dismissive attitude toward American pairs teams. And I'm tired of it, because it's been going on for far too long, even when for example, Evora/Ladwig outskated all 3 Canadian teams at the 2010 Olympics, they were kept behind all of them in the sp, and behind two of them in the fp. There are plenty of other examples. Now that the U.S. has teams with top-notch competitive qualities, they are still being treated like second-class citizens.

There's no way that R/K have the speed, power, maturity and quality elements of all three American teams. Yes, the American teams have to bring it, and they aren't allowed any mistakes whatsoever, and even then their scores will be managed, because this is an overly political sport.

Physically, the American teams are aesthetically more pleasing than B/K, but B/K obviously have overall better technique on jumps and throws, when they ace them.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
There's no way that R/K have the speed, power, maturity and quality elements of all three American teams. Yes, the American teams have to bring it, and they aren't allowed any mistakes whatsoever, and even then their scores will be managed, because this is an overly political sport.

Physically, the American teams are aesthetically more pleasing than B/K, but B/K obviously have overall better technique on jumps and throws, when they ace them.
Your opinion. Also, the three American teams? Ok.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I actually think anyone in the top 5 has chance to podium. Pair's LPs are notariously unpredictable. T/M and B/K have both been known to throw away big leads. We will see what happens!
Don't think it's a matter of throwing away big leads, but how many of those teams below 70s would be able to score in the high 130s? T/M and B/K every now and again do that, but not that often.

chasingneverland

Record Breaker
It's like with political scoring and 'in-the-bag' scoring. Clearly, the quality of the American teams is exciting, but this is the same-old, same-old dismissive attitude toward American pairs teams. And I'm tired of it, because it's been going on for far too long, even when for example, Evora/Ladwig outskated all 3 Canadian teams at the 2010 Olympics, they were kept behind all of them in the sp, and behind two of them in the fp. There are plenty of other examples. Now that the U.S. has teams with top-notch competitive qualities, they are still being treated like second-class citizens.

American politics in skating is NOT insignificant. If anything, it's much stronger than Japanese politics.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Your opinion. Also, the three American teams? Ok.
Yep, all three American teams here are physically aesthetically more pleasing and a tad better matched too than B/K. :) Definitely my opinion. I call it like I see it. And I've been watching this sport for too many years to count. To each their own perception and understanding of this fraught and often disappointing sport.

B/K were tremendously helped by Moskvina, who camouflaged some of their weaknesses, when they shot to the top two seasons ago.

readernick

Medalist
Don't think it's a matter of throwing away big leads, but how many of those teams below 70s would be able to score in the high 130s? T/M and B/K every now and again do that, but not that often.
I actually think all the teams in the top 5 are capable of that. Is it likely they will score that, no. Is it possible, definitely.

About T/M and B/K uhhhh they don't throw away leads occasionally.. They do it often.. See last year's Worlds..2018 Olympics... The list goes on..