2021 Skate Canada: Rhythm Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2021 Skate Canada: Rhythm Dance

rain

Record Breaker
she isn't the only one who does it in ice dance. it just super annoys me when anyone does it :laugh:
Yeah, I think it was the 2019 season, or maybe last, that Marjorie Lajoie kept doing it, too.

The only time I love it was in the kiss and cry, I think it was at Skate Canada one year, when Piper and Paul without looking at each other, independently both started lip synching to the words of the after-skate music that was playing. They had such great unison on it, lol!

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
It'll be 11am Aussie time so I will cheer loud, I love Charlene and Marco! Short fellow represent!
Thanks @anonymoose_au and everyone who cheered for G/F on my behalf!

I fully agree with those upthread who said they have too many music cuts, it doesn't help that the first song "Diamonds Are Invincible" is already a mash-up, so they mashed-up two more songs with a mash-up! They still manage to really sell the performance though and I love their straight line lift. Not sure what was going on with their tech (and nor were they judging by the press conference quotes) as they're usually so solid on it; I'm sure Barbara will be drilling them relentlessly on it before their next event though :laugh:
Overall, although I would've had them behind Gil/Po based on performances today, I think 7 points back is rather too far...

Also, really pleased to see S/D in 3rd, I think they have my favourite RD this season.

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
IN these posts I hear Nikitia is hurt Oh no I want someone to challenge the French and so far the Americans are kind of a disappointment. I do like Piper and Paul (Psquared). But I miss thir qurky programs too. I hate hate hate their costumes. This is a hot messs but well skated. I am shocked they are so far ahead. I know it is Canada but still. I wonder if they have a shot at the olympic podium? Maybe they will go back to their Picasso free dance later? I do like their free dance costumes for elegance. I am surprised these skaters don't have better packaging or is it that people have different opinions. When I hear Diana and Gleb I think for some reason dancing with the stars. I was quite shocekd to see CP down so low as one time they seemed to be on the upshot but I guess injury and all. Interesting strategy I would have had the Danadians skate here to possibly eek out gp spot or at least another medal.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Gilles/Poirier - costumes are super over the top, but if I looked like that in orange polyester, I'd wear it too. Very fun and confident dance. It reminds me of the confidence the Shibs gained the season after they won their first Worlds medal.
That's right. I think it's P&P's trademark to be different, which is why I fell in love with them at first sight. It's a challenge to the more traditional/stereotypical way of defining what ice dancers should be/look like. I endorse that any time. :rock:

pearly

Record Breaker
Yes, she needs to stop mouthing the words ASAP. It is a basic no-no of dance performance.
I know, right? What the hell? That had to have been deliberate, but I just don't understand who'd say "hey that's a great idea, let's put that in."

brigit66

On the Ice
IN these posts I hear Nikitia is hurt Oh no I want someone to challenge the French and so far the Americans are kind of a disappointment. I do like Piper and Paul (Psquared). But I miss thir qurky programs too. I hate hate hate their costumes. This is a hot messs but well skated. I am shocked they are so far ahead. I know it is Canada but still. I wonder if they have a shot at the olympic podium? Maybe they will go back to their Picasso free dance later? I do like their free dance costumes for elegance. I am surprised these skaters don't have better packaging or is it that people have different opinions. When I hear Diana and Gleb I think for some reason dancing with the stars. I was quite shocekd to see CP down so low as one time they seemed to be on the upshot but I guess injury and all. Interesting strategy I would have had the Danadians skate here to possibly eek out gp spot or at least another medal.
well, they had normal tech panel, no so strict like on finlandia or a week ago

Reactions: xox

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Tessa thinks that dance was reliant on stereotypes and possibly not respectful but they are good technically…
Oh interesting - did she say anything more about why it’s possibly not respectful? I love S/N and would prob enjoy them performing anything but I don’t love this RD - it doesn’t really show their skills off.

rain

Record Breaker
I think the problem for L/L is that their RD doesn't have a theme or a thread that runs through the music pieces, I think more of a concept and better costumes would get them higher scores
Yes, I totally agree. I think they are doing the best that could be done with that material, but at this point the program is the problem. It's not horrible (I'd much rather watch it again than Guinard/Fabri or Fear/Gibson), but it's not special. There's nothing in the choreography that stands out. I can't remember any of the specific moves, or for that matter even what the pieces of music were. Forgettable, when you're trying to establish yourself and move up, is a problem. I think they'd have a tough time answering the question "why are you skating to this music?"

xox

On the Ice
Yes, I totally agree. I think they are doing the best that could be done with that material, but at this point the program is the problem. It's not horrible (I'd much rather watch it again than Guinard/Fabri or Fear/Gibson), but it's not special. There's nothing in the choreography that stands out. I can't remember any of the specific moves, or for that matter even what the pieces of music were. Forgettable, when you're trying to establish yourself and move up, is a problem. I think they'd have a tough time answering the question "why are you skating to this music?"
I really find a lack of connection with these two. See more of connection with sales/wamsteer. Dance is to interpret and present emotion don't feel it off of L/L and they don't seem to speak at all in the k/c

rain

Record Breaker
I really find a lack of connection with these two. See more of connection with sales/wamsteer. Dance is to interpret and present emotion don't feel it off of L/L and they don't seem to speak at all in the k/c
Fair enough if you don't see as much connection as you'd like between them during their performances. I don't find them as bad as all that, and I love how they perform out to the audience.

I would never judge anyone in the kiss and cry right now for not trying to hold conversations. Have you ever tried to suck in air while wearing a mask? I imagine a lot of people are just concentrating on trying to breathe. I would never try to speculate on the state of their relationship from that. The only thing I thought they conveyed in the kiss and cry was an obvious disappointment in their scores. And frankly, I can't blame them, since I thought they were lowballed here.

xox

On the Ice
Fair enough if you don't see as much connection as you'd like between them during their performances. I don't find them as bad as all that, and I love how they perform out to the audience.

I would never judge anyone in the kiss and cry right now for not trying to hold conversations. Have you ever tried to suck in air while wearing a mask? I imagine a lot of people are just concentrating on trying to breathe. I would never try to speculate on the state of their relationship from that. The only thing I thought they conveyed in the kiss and cry was an obvious disappointment in their scores. And frankly, I can't blame them, since I thought they were lowballed here.
not judging just an observation. Technically solid skaters.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique

I totally agree. They are fierce competitors and they have been disappointed with scores. Zach is very intense. I remember in juniors, he would beat himself up for every single mistake he would make and Marjorie would smile and know how to make things better. I just watched the rhythm dance on tv : they definitely connect with each other, and they do project better to the audience than some teams who have been around for much longer in the senior scene. Picking up on them seems a bit exaggerated for my point of view : they are young competitors who are aspiring to reach the top of the ice dance world, and as fans, we know how difficult that path is.... well, for most people it is difficult ;)

xox

On the Ice
I appreciate the kindness they are receiving. I have seen many skaters not receive such kindness on this site. Many skaters have been disappointed and marked unfairly as we all know. But good luck to them it is a vicious sport.

viennaskater

Medalist
I hear a baby in the audience and I want to cuddle the child.
Seriously? I do not think people should bring babies into these events. It just ends up disturbing everyone. Very inconsiderate. I believe the last Worlds in Japan did not allow anyone to bring in anyone under 3 years old - something like that. I applaud such a decision.

viennaskater

Medalist
I was at Nebelhorn and my friend said the lady (Tina something) in the Armenian dance team 'kept opening and closing her mouth' and it distracted her. She was for sure mouthing the words. I hadn't even noticed! I was reminded of this when Simon mentioned about Olivia doing it!