2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Kana and Dai are equal to (and in some elements have pulled ahead of) Misato and Tim in every respect other than lifts. Even if all of their lifts across both programs had received 0 GOE they would have still outscored them by 1,34 points overall.

I feel for Misato and Tim, but if they want that Olympic spot they either need to up their game come Nationals or hope for Kana and Dai to make mistakes. Going by how the Japanese judge scored both teams here when nearly clean (he put K/K above M/T in the RD and had M/T ahead of K/K in the FD), the race is not decided yet.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Misato said she injured a ligament of her left elbow. It's likely they will withdraw from Warsaw Cup. She said she will go back to the US next Monday. They haven't been able to enter Canada because the Canadian immigration rejects her visa without explaining why.
I hope Misato recovers soon! :pray: Their training has been impacted a lot over the last couple of years. Hopefully they can achieve their best at Nationals next month.

I know there is much conflict in dance. Having Dai in dance is really adding interest to ice dance in Japan. It just seems JSF and everyone is pulling for him to make it with his partner to olympics and win a team medal. Life isn't fair. Shade s of Diana Davis in some ways. I still think Dai is being gifted with points but that's me and the fact is it doesn't matter. He's going to Beijing and he's going to get another olympic medal and the fans will adore him and ice dance will gain popularity in Japan. And a certain ice dance team will not being going to Beijing and will be forgotten.
I don't think Dai can be compared to the Russian ice dance team. Dai is a former World champion, Olympic medallist, GPF & 4CC champion in singles who helped to inspire men's skating in Japan today (Shoma is his fan, for example). His skating skills and musicality have made his transition to ice dance quite smooth. On the other hand Diana is just starting her senior career and her impact on ice dance is yet to be determined.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am torn. I love Dai and I have nothing against Kano and realize it is her dream too. On the other hand Misato and Tim have waited and waited. Still it is who is the best team. I can't but help think Dai's popularity and reputation does encourage higher scores for them It is also very unfortunate that the team that gets to go to the olympics will probably win an olympic medal in the team event white the other team watches from home. I almost hope that Russia, US and Canada can some how keep Japan off the team podium just to balance things out a bit. But life isn't fair. One team is going to go to the olympics and have all the glory. and the other team is going to be left broken hearted. And the dagger plunge deeper assuming Japan wins a team medal come Beijing.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I feel for Misato and Tim, but if they want that Olympic spot they either need to up their game come Nationals or hope for Kana and Dai to make mistakes. Going by how the Japanese judge scored both teams here when nearly clean (he put K/K above M/T in the RD and had M/T ahead of K/K in the FD), the race is not decided yet.
I was surprised to learn that, unlike the singles spots, the ice dance/pairs Nationals winner does not get the automatic selection for the Olympics. Seeing as Misato and Tim aren't doing another event before Nationals, Daisuke and Kana have already earned consideration for the spot based on their higher scores in international competition this year. So I think they are already penciled in at this point.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Kana and Dai are equal to (and in some elements have pulled ahead of) Misato and Tim in every respect other than lifts. Even if all of their lifts across both programs had received 0 GOE they would have still outscored them by 1,34 points overall.

It's clearly decided. Dai & Kana are highly beloved. You can see on Misato's face (even wearing a mask) what will be the eventual outcome regardless. Too bad Misato & Tim haven't been strong enough to be in a position to have garnered two spots for Japanese ice dance. It wasn't a crucial necessity until now. It's easy to feel for Misato & Tim. Much less easy to actually feel how they feel under these circumstances.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I was surprised to learn that, unlike the singles spots, the ice dance/pairs Nationals winner does not get the automatic selection for the Olympics. Seeing as Misato and Tim aren't doing another event before Nationals, Daisuke and Kana have already earned consideration for the spot based on their higher scores in international competition this year.

I'm aware. I still think there's a chance Misato and Tim will be sent, if they win Nationals decisively.

As of today they are still listed for Warsaw Cup, but I guess that might unfortunately change in a day or two.

It's clearly decided. Dai & Kana are highly beloved. You can see on Misato's face (even wearing a mask) what will be the eventual outcome regardless. Too bad Misato & Tim haven't been strong enough to be in a position to have garnered two spots for Japanese ice dance. It wasn't a crucial necessity until now. It's easy to feel for Misato & Tim. Much less easy to actually feel how they feel under these circumstances.

Yes, this is sport and heartbreak is unfortunately part of it, especially in Olympic seasons when there are more contenders than available spots. :frown:

However, I disagree with insinuations that Kana and Dai are guaranteed shoe-ins with gifted scores, who don't have to work just as hard as their rivals to earn the spot. They beat Misato and Tim at NHK on the strength of their skating and their programs.

Misato and Tim shouldn't just give up now (and I don't think they will), but put up a real fight and aim at higher levels in their step sequences, which is their biggest weakness.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Given all the years they've already been together (teaming since 2016 I believe?), it's hard to imagine Misato and Tim having much more upside than they've already achieved. Kana and Daisuke are clearly still getting much better (I would have never guessed they would get this good this fast after last year's performance) and still have a lot of upside potential. And that's even before taking into account the name value of Daisuke Takahashi.

Outside of an injury, I can't imagine anything that would turn the tide in Misato and Tim's favor.

mikeko666

Final Flight
Can anyone help translate from Japanese? I found this interview of Misato and Tim:
Misato: (Asked why she had tears in her eyes) We felt a different kind of pressures for this competition, and came here to do our best. I was frustrated by yesterday's (RD) result, and with some other stuff, became unsure what I have been skating for. I decided my today's objective was to skate for the people who support us. I thought we accomplished it and felt relived, and that's why I cried. I'm embarrassed, sorry.
Tim: I was very nervous and most pressured in my life. We got a personal best today, which is good.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Misato: (Asked why she had tears in her eyes) We felt a different kind of pressures for this competition, and came here to do our best. I was frustrated by yesterday's (RD) result, and with some other stuff, became unsure what I have been skating for. I decided my today's objective was to skate for the people who support us. I thought we accomplished it and felt relived, and that's why I cried. I'm embarrassed, sorry.
Tim: I was very nervous and most pressured in my life. We got a personal best today, which is good.
Thank you!
Tim is right, they have set new PBs in both the RD since worlds and FD since WTT (y)

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I disagree with insinuations that Kana and Dai are guaranteed shoe-ins with gifted scores, who don't have to work just as hard as their rivals to earn the spot.
That's your wording and your reference to 'insinuations,' though. Not mine, as I've not indicated that Dai & Kana don't have to work for their scores. They simply do have a rep edge as well, via their past success (Dai in singles, of course, and Kana in ice dance). :)

mikeko666

Final Flight
Kana and Dai's FD at Warsaw Cup
TES 64.01 + PCS 50.28 = TSS 114.29
Total score: 190.16

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Congrats to Kana & Daisuke on first their international medal together (excluding 2020 NHK)! (y)

I'm very happy to see them skate clean and achieve new PBs... but wow this panel was so generous! It will be difficult to beat these scores in upcoming competitions.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Am I correct in my calculation that the only thing that can keep Miura/Kihara out of the Grand Prix Finals is a Della Monaca/Guarise gold at the Rostelcom Cup?

mikeko666

Final Flight
The result of Junior National Ice Dance
1. Nao Kida / Masaya Morita 131.06
2. Ayano Sasaki / Atsuhiko Tamura 122.99
3. Kaho Yamashita / Yuto Nagata 106.40
4. Midori Fujiki / Seiya Shimokawa 95.69
5. Haruhi Komatsu / Eisuki Kumano 84.26

Nao / Masaya are coached by Cathey Reed like Japanese Novice Champions Sumire Yoshida / Ibuki Ogahara.
I wonder if JSF has intention to send Nao / Masaya to Junior World. They need to compete at Bavarian Open first to get minimum TES.

Ice-Dance.com photo galleries

EDIT: I added the scores and photo gallery link.

Last edited:

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The result of Junior National Ice Dance
1. Nao Kida / Masaya Morita
2. Ayano Sasaki / Atsuhiko Tamura
3. Kaho Yamashita / Yuto Nagata
4. Midori Fujiki / Seiya Shimokawa
5. Haruhi Komatsu / Eisuki Kumano

Nao / Masaya are coached by Cathey Reed like Japanese Novice Champion Sumire Yoshida / Ibuki Ogahara.
I wonder if JSF has intention to send Nao / Masaya to Junior World. They need to compete at Bavarian Open first to get minimum TES.
I hope so, they need to develop ID as much as possible and a team at JW would really help