Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Eteri Tutberidze interview on Russian TV

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Firstly, it is the late republic.

I don't know what periodization is taught in American schools, but in all decent schools ( :laugh: ) it is a late republic. The period of the republic began with 510 BC (The Exile of Tarquin the Proud) to 33 BC (Battle of Actium, death of Antony, Octavian Augustus becomes Sole Ruler/Emperor). The reforms of the Gracchi brothers are undoubtedly a late republic.

Secondly, to put it simply and a little populist, the Gracchi were the leftists of ancient Rome. The opponents of the Gracchi killed them both (the younger brother was beaten to death with fragments of a bench, which, I remember, shocked me very much at school) But you describe it as if we are talking about the routine life of senators in the American Capitol :laugh:

The opponents of the Gracchi created a real hysteria around the Gracchi, falsely accused them of wanting to become kings. According to Plutarch, before the death of the younger Gracchus, he could not shout to his supporters and began to put his hand to his head, which indicated danger, Gracchus' opponents explained that this meant that he demanded a royal diadem for himself. It was about this attitude to the brothers that flanker was talking about before you got in with your incredibly valuable clarifications.

P.S. Sorry for the off topic :ot:

Spousal Unit is University Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Classics and Ancient History at Local Large Private University. His degrees are from Yale, Oxford ((University College) and Brown. Decent, perhaps? And not all American. He is in correspondence of course with scholars throughout the globe.

The periodization he uses is accepted by scholars not only in the US, for example. Fascinating that it may be categorized differently elsewhere🤔 As well as the other points about the Gracchi, (leftists?) which sadly he would not have accepted in his History of the Roman Republic class. Again, fascinating.

I am glad that you found my off topic incredibly valuable. (I take it at face value. I am not a fan of wink wink nudge nudge) but as I freely admitted, it was off topic, so I invite any and all further convo by DM. It is a subject near and dear to my heart, but I apologize for the diversion.

Back to our regularly scheduled thread..... :)

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Spousal Unit is University Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Classics and Ancient History at Local Large Private University. His degrees are from Yale, Oxford ((University College) and Brown. Decent, perhaps? And not all American. He is in correspondence of course with scholars throughout the globe.

The periodization he uses is accepted by scholars not only in the US, for example. Fascinating that it may be categorized differently elsewhere🤔 As well as the other points about the Gracchi, (leftists?) which sadly he would not have accepted in his History of the Roman Republic class. Again, fascinating.
brakes in his post wrote a well-known periodization
flanker, in the message before very clearly explained above how exactly this periodization occurs

All this is obvious and it basic level - the reforms of Gracchus, their necessity, drew a line at the peak of the republic and began its decline. If they don't teach you that at Yale... well , my condolences.

Also I told you a joke about "I heard this Pavarotti - Vasya sang it to me, nothing special". I'm not sure if this professor would have appeared here, he would have confirmed your words But if he confirmed - well, my condolences, we have all heard a lot about the famous level of American education :laugh:

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
Volume II:

I started at 3:15. Before that, nothing of value, except perhaps a funny moment when Dudakov sits with Trusova and is very shy about it

How are you enough for everyone? I just saw in training that the program is skated by one, for example, the hypothetical Sasha. At the same time, Anya is finishing something, at the same time Yegor is jumping, and there are still many of them. Are you watching everything at the same time? You have two eyes, but there are five, six skaters!

But you see - here you spread your arms to the sides and you can quite see both the right and the left hand, right?

Yes.

In the same way, you can see this whole rink. It is impossible to hide there.

(in training)

Eteri: Tra-ta-ta-ta-ta! One, two, three - push! Eyes, Alena! Why are you going, trying to persuade yourself? No need to persuade yourself, just do it!

(in a studio)

But at the same time you ... I specifically observed this moment - you are talking with someone, approaching very close, discussing with him, or with her some specific absolutely things. At the same time, somewhere in the background, which can only be seen with peripheral vision, someone is performing some kind of jump. Well, not visible from such a distance! I don’t see exactly whether it was done well or badly, but you immediately make a remark: “left leg, right, a little under-rotation” - for this I need to look at the monitor and it is desirable to repeat it as well.

(in training)

Eteri: you jumped to the left, you stay on your left [leg], you don’t move on your right leg, you have to get out of here ... You transferred the load to the left, transferred the load to the back of the skate. For what on the back - so that you then have somewhere to push, you know?

(in a studio)

This is already professionalism - to see everyone, remember who performs what tasks.

Are you a robot?

Not!

Two conclusions: you, on the one hand, are human, but this is really fantastic.

It seems to me that this is how everyone works. I'm pretty sure of that.

(in training)

Eteri: why are you bent over? So knee! Tilt your body slightly - up! ... Yes, through the top. Not like this, but like this (shows with his hands) - make a circle.

(skates and claps)

Bu-ra-ti-no! (quote from a song from a Soviet children's film) Ta-da-ta-ta-ta!

(in a studio)

But about raising the age limit in figure skating. You have girls who have just graduated from juniors ...

Girls who have just graduated from juniors - Khromykh, Usacheva, Valieva. Imagine, these girls would skate on an equal footing with children. And they are already adult girls. And they would skate on equal terms. This, it seems to me, is the murder of minors. I could not even imagine their skating in juniors, it would somehow humiliate them. Maya Khromykh would come out: hello, girls. I don't know why Tara Lipinski never bothered anyone before. Didn't bother you, did you?

Well, it seemed to start to embarrass, because it began to acquire a mass character.

Adelina Sotnikova won the first Russian championship at the age of 13. Why then did it not bother anyone? Why is it embarrassing now? Now at the age of 13, they no longer come out, there is already a ban, they have raised the bar.

Often not accusations are heard, but vivid statements ... about youngsters.

Accusations!

Yes, that Eteri, it means, is already taking youngsters there, on a pedestal ...

So, Zhenya Medvedeva was also a youngster at the Olympics?

That is, honestly or not honestly, then they take part in competitions near with adults ...

And who is our adult? Okay - mature women - who is this? Name mature women.

I do not want to offend anyone - this is such a controversial moment, which of them is a mature woman. Everyone, all active athletes, they kind of ...

Well, that is, they are not mature women. And what's the matter then? If she is, for example, an adult, maybe she did not spend her other years so intensively and therefore became an adult? Well, for some years ... Maybe she was gone for almost four years?

Someone hypothetical has not been for 4 years ... (laughs)

Yes, someone hypothetical. I want to say: why Savchenko, who went through, in my opinion, five Olympiads - that is, it is 20 years, her performance increased - why has she not complained for the last 8 years (these are two Olympics) that there are youngsters next to her? Because she is a great athlete. There was not a single cry about this during the era of her skating.

Last edited:

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 2:

They write about you: Eteri has a long bench of ready-made skaters.

- I read, I say: oh, we are all right, we have a long bench. I don't like that at all. Nobody sleeps, all countries train. They have exactly the same long benches - in the same way, pay attention, the same Japanese women are already jumping axels and quadruples. And the American juniors are already jumping. There is no need to relax.

(in training)

Eteri: here you are passing us. Can you contact us - can you take us in a jump too? You and I have already talked about this - it is not yet. And what is is not enough.

(in a studio)

But you have the same selection, you select them somehow?

Yes, there is no selection. As they say, there are queues there, and we take them from all of Russia. Yes, we do not select anyone. I say again: we are not taking away anyone, no one comes. Over the past year, maybe one girl came, one boy. Two years ago, we decided to organize our own health groups - to try to start training at 3-4 years old, so that someone from here would appear with us.

Just in my head, in the minds of an ordinary person, here I am: Tutberidze is now a brand for which all parents, with all possibly talented children, all in queue, and she must look at them. This means that Eteri Georgievna comes to work - in some hall with mirrors, twenty children. Or at the rink she immediately looks - this one, this one - no, no, yes, no, yes, we will try this kid, this one, maybe ...

Not!

And where do you get them then?

Yes, that's not taking, they are not. Not!

It completely changes my worldview! That is, it turns out that parents of talented children have a chance ...

I don't understand what talented children are. Apparently, this is the child who has data for this sport.

On skates just stands at least ...

Is this a talent?

Well, I don’t know, many do not know how. And how to understand at 4 years old whether a child is talented or not?

Yes, there is no such thing. There is just some data for today. Suppose he sits down to the end, jumps up well, happily accepts the load - runs, jumps, does not cry.

He comes to the dressing room with a smile. Now I saw such people - they really shine ...

Here! Or there are children who get scared and start crying. And the specificity of figure skating is a huge space, this is a skating rink, there are extraneous noises, if there are still three groups of 20 people working, the coach shouts anyway. He does not yell at you, he speaks with a loud voice. And it can scare some child.

Here, even as a child is prepared by the parents - whether he is frightened or not, how he perceives criticism. “No, you didn’t sit well, sit lower” - some child will cry and say: everything is bad, I don’t want to study anymore, it’s strict with me. How else to train if you do not speak in a different tone? Well, do not shushi-pusi, because you will be today: you are 3 years old, little, well, please, sit down. And tomorrow: you are 5, well, sit down! How is it? It doesn't work that way. You just have to have an even voice. Not all parents understand this.

Parents of small children come, they are still young, they are young parents themselves. How, my miracle is criticized, it is impossible! Many people go astray or even write complaints.

(show a skating rink with small children)

The parent should take the side of the coach, and if there is some kind of conflict, misunderstanding with the parent - come separately, discuss: but it seems to me that you pressed my daughter here. Let us suppose. Discuss, but not in the presence of the child, so as not to break the credibility of the coach.

It's the most important?

Certainly. Because we give assignments, criticize, train. All this should be in full confidence that all this should lead to the goal.

(in training)

Eteri: Good, good, good, but emotionless. Further: here, please, remove your hand from the case, guess where. Yes! It matters, it's beautiful. Transition is a dance. Further - return!

(in a studio)

How to maintain good relations with parents when they look at children ...

I have a joke: the best parent is the one I don't know. Because this means that I don't have any problems with the athlete at all and I don't need to communicate with a parent.

All the same, the parent, of course, always takes the side of the child. And I have to get up. Who else if not a parent? But he must understand that any criticism, even if the child is on the ice for the first three minutes, and I say: that's it, go out ... Maybe it makes sense to sacrifice this training for the benefit of everyone else. Maybe I didn’t like this attitude - in three minutes the athlete could not go out, sit behind the side, not estimate the training time or not warm up in the gym before training. I can kick him out. And here the parent should not ask: what and why? This is how it should be, accept it and bring up your child at home. It is also important for me to educate the parent - to explain what he should do, bringing the child to the ice. The child must be charged for work.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 3:

(in training)

Eteri: Well, you are all sad ... Annushka! Annushka! (Shcherbakova makes a cascade) Well, that's a completely different matter!

(in a studio)

Sometimes there is a moment when you are in training - now for some reason with the younger group - they are somehow not motivated, they do not have this in them. And you just realize that you are wasting your time. Maybe there are other athletes somewhere who would gladly accept your knowledge, and would not try to dodge the tasks.

(in training)

Eteri: One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight! Direction now! Faster, faster, over here!

(in a studio)

The situation yesterday: the girl did not come to the warm-up, she is sitting in the hall, for some reason with her mother. I ask: why didn't you come to warm up? Doesn't really answer. I ask her Mom: why didn't she go to the warm-up? The parent says: because she said that her legs get tired after the warm-up. So, what are you here for, mom? In order to make her go, explain to her that this is how it should be - you will digest it, you will get used to it, you will adapt to this load and become stronger. This parent is not doing enough, he just loves his child and accepts him as he is. It may not work. Even with the talent and some data of this child.

Without severity at all?

Yes, not strictness, but correctness. Correctness and parent as well.

(in training)

Eteri: are you tired? From what? You completely removed half of the program. Did you get out of the axel, how did your leg stand? Here we did - one, and a jump-off. What now? (the girl shows the way out of the axel). Well so you don't did

(in a studio)

Do you understand at a glance that this girl will become a champion, and this one will not?

If it is absolutely direct, categorically, if the data does not correspond to this type, I can say "no". I leave them with us to train, almost all of them. And see how it works. It's also great if they relax. Not when they came for the first time and are trying, so solemn, but when they have already relaxed, then they are natural. And if the child does not do enough, if he is hiding somewhere in the back, trying to be invisible ... Well, you understand, in order to well include this child in the process, you will need to spend energy, force: go ahead, jump, what are you worth, once a jump, give a second ... And I have 15 of them on the ice or 10 - will I drive everyone like that? Farther. Now this child is 12 years old, but these efforts must be increased with each age. And then what will happen by the age of 18? This is what you need to do in order to drag this athlete into the training process?

(in training)

Eteri: did you exit from the axel? And by that time did you have at least one cascade? And where? Look - you have one, two, three - the fourth element. Why didn't you cascade here? Are you lutz out? Triple? Why didn't you add anything to it? Why - did you decide that this is easier for you, you will save energy? Why should you save energy when you do not plan the program in the same way as at competitions, where there should be cascades?

(in a studio)

I like them to be able to work independently. I understand why they come here, they came not just for a skate. They came here to be made Olympic champions, not otherwise.

"I want to become like ..." - and you can substitute any name

Yes, probably, that is, they come in order to reach the top. And if I think I can be wrong, I feel that the process is difficult, I can refuse a good girl or boy. And sometimes it happens that when they understand that they were not taken, they begin to interpret their figure skating in a different way, they begin to understand that they love this sport, understand why, because I always say why I do not take it. And sometimes you look further, and they begin to skate better, work better, learn to appreciate.

(in training)

Eteri: I drew a third one for you, then you tore the loop, then you tore the hook, and I drew the second one for you right away. And look - can you take the final position a little faster? (Tears off and gives a piece of paper with comments)

You always give [such pieces of paper], right?

Oh sure.

That is, this is for them ...

But this is not for me, I write for them. I'm almost sure that Alina Zagitova has all these pieces of paper.

With grades?

These are not grades, just a program, like a printout ...

To keep track of their progress ...

Well, or just to keep track of their elements - that's how it is perceived. Or it's easier for me - for remember.

Last edited:

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 4:

(in a studio)

Do you feel that sometimes parents are delaying their children - trying to close their own gestalt? And they decide for the children - here you are going to skate, because I once dreamed.

So maybe it's not bad? I do not know. Let's go back - I don't know the story - to Dana Lipnitskaya, mother of Yulia Lipnitskaya. After all, she brought her, it cost her a lot, she sold everything that she had in Yekaterinburg, came here. In order for the daughter to succeed. I don't know if she closed her business or did it for her daughter. What's the difference? They did it. And Julia is now living a different life from what, for example, could have been.

When an athlete begins to earn medals and the higher the rank of these competitions, everything starts to turn over a little. The feeling that I was led to these medals, and I should already appreciate this parent. I don’t know how many generations already - everything is the same. I am already calm about this.

It's like they say in soccer: if they are great, then the players, and if they fail, then the coach is to blame.

Exactly, yes.

Are there more such parents who consider themselves more important than you?

They all become that way. No offense, but I have not yet met others.

(advertising blah blah blah)

How do you teach girls who are really young, small, some serious things? They do not have this life experience ...

And thank God. I had this with Polina Shelepen - you begin to explain: have you ever lost anything? Stands and says: no, never. I even have such envy, I think: great.

Well, you try to explain through the loss. Perhaps last year's short program by Anna Shcherbakova is like that. Probably, this is goodbye to a loved one, I asked a question: well, have you lost something? She said no. I say: well, your dog is dead. How many years she was with her, these feelings must be conveyed.

I say all the time that if you touch the hall, tell a story, then everyone in the hall has their own story. And this is not necessarily what you are skating about, but it will still be filled with feelings, each person himself will complement this story from his life.

It will just fall on the right ground ...

Well, yes.

(in training)

Eteri: I said that you cannot be joked with. Don't slouch.

(in a studio)

How to explain to young Yulia Lipnitskaya about "Schindler's List"?

Here each gesture was explained: mother's hand - somehow attach. Let's say the mother she lost, imagine that you remember the contact. This is how each gesture was explained.

And it worked ...

You need to tell this story with gestures. I teach them that the audience should read the book when every gesture is a word.

Do you talk to them, at what point to look into the camera, for example, or to address the jury?

Not in the camera, but the judges are your audience. The one for whom you are telling this story. For the audience, for the judges. It is necessary, of course, to communicate with them. Not to look away, but to penetrate, so that the impulse passes through. It should be, and since this is a large audience, it should be very hypertrophied. You really need to send this energy there.

And who taught you this?

Probably, let it be given to me. Something must be given to me. Let's say I have it.

Those who come to you in training and ask you to re-skate the program again and again, is it rather good that they take the initiative themselves?

Yes. But now there are none. The latter were Alina and Zhenya. The skaters have changed, they have changed.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
brakes in his post wrote a well-known periodization
flanker, in the message before very clearly explained above how exactly this periodization occurs

All this is obvious and it basic level - the reforms of Gracchus, their necessity, drew a line at the peak of the republic and began its decline. If they don't teach you that at Yale... well , my condolences.

Also I told you a joke about "I heard this Pavarotti - Vasya sang it to me, nothing special". I'm not sure if this professor would have appeared here, he would have confirmed your words But if he confirmed - well, my condolences, we have all heard a lot about the famous level of American education :laugh:

I remember the PavarottI joke, it was funny. Obviously I do not accept your categorization of a Yale or Oxford education, but that really doesn’t matter.

I shall leave you in the spirit of our discussion: Io Saturnalia!

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 5:

(in training)

Eteri: Well, tell me, yes, and what if you are tired, then you have to squeak and quit? Skate a second time. Just do not throw out the steps, but completely finish everything. Skate for the third time. We'll turn on the music.

(in a studio)

Were they (the skaters) sincere with us, as usual? Or did we confuse them?

Probably, they were upset if they understood that I was criticizing in front of you. Of course, they want to be beautiful, correct in front of the cameras.

Has it ever happened that you understand, not after the first training session, but after the 5th or 10th, that it is not destiny for this boy or this girl to become champions? You can honestly tell them: I'm sorry, this is ...

Wait, but what, just for the Olympic medal? Is the medalist of the World Championship no longer appreciated?

I do not know how in your world. For me, I'm terrified of what even those who are not champions are doing. I just attended a training session and I understand that those very little children whom you scolded are just gods for me. Because I will never repeat that. But I don't know how in your world. It may be true that the Olympic medal is the goal.

I would not say that everything is for the sake of an Olympic medal.

Now I will touch upon the question of Zhenya Medvedeva. Yes, she became the second in personal competitions. Silver. Olympic. Prior to that, she had endured all the competitions for two years. Do you understand that some athletes do not even get some of these merits? But you have to appreciate what you have. I must say: Lord, thank you very much, what happened even with injuries, with the problems that we faced this season. Not always everything goes well, and the more difficult the path to the goal, the more valuable the medal itself. You cannot refuse a medal, you cannot be dissatisfied.

Fans then congratulated Zhenya almost more than Alina.

The path was more difficult. I absolutely agree here. It was longer and more difficult. But many do not get it.

Let's take Alina Zagitova. To be in shape, she really had to be at the rink from 9 am to 9 pm. She went to the gym for a warm-up, general physical training, then choreography, ice, a hitch. That's real - from 9 to 9, she had a 12-hour day to stay in shape. And if she came to this medal in this way and put her body in such order, she will not have any other way, which means that she needs to work so much.

For someone, maybe 5 hours is enough, but you need 12. And this is hard, sometimes they think: and now I'm going to skate like others - 5 hours. It doesn't work.

I have not seen, but heard that Nathan Chen just comes, collects his elements, goes to college, studies, writes notes, goes out again, collects. It's great if so, but someone is wrong - someone needs to plow in order to at least half approach its results.

(in training)

Eteri: You tried to rest as much as possible in the step sequence. This was your task. You stood on straight legs - that's all. (tears off and gives a piece of paper with comments)

(in a studio)

Do you give them fair marks in training or stricter ones?

I exhibit as they will [at the competition]. Once I was a technical specialist, the skill remained with me. The way they judge, I put it that way, paint it. They leave the ice, put this piece of paper, very correctly, when the parent looks at it.

It's like a diary at school. Oh, they hoped there was no school ...

Yes. And the parents do not understand where there is a rotate or an under-rotate, but ask the child - he rotated everything, did everything, everything of the fourth level. And here once - this piece of paper, and there sometimes I write something else. And already there is some kind of responsibility. This is a family job. If we take Alina Zagitova's grandmother - she always came up, looked at the papers. And if the piece of paper is bad, Alina hid it, and the grandmother took it out.

(some more self-promotional blah blah blah)

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
I remember the PavarottI joke, it was funny. Obviously I do not accept your categorization of a Yale or Oxford education, but that really doesn’t matter.

I shall leave you in the spirit of our discussion: Io Saturnalia!
Sorry if I'm too mean :)

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 6:

How do you, such a sensitive, fragile woman, manage to become such a rock at the competitions of your girls - girls who always look at you. It can be seen from them - they may be worried, but it is worth looking at Eteri Georgievna with her impenetrable expression on her face, and [they calm down]. What do you have inside while doing this?

Well, basically, I believe in the way we worked: the way we did it, we got it. As we are ready, we will continue to skate. There are some accidents, but ... What is already nervous here, you have to go and do, try to do the best that you can at the moment.

(in training)

Eteri: you want to ride and not waste energy. From the very first steps. No, no, when was it before? We worked out the program, we tried to complete almost every step.

(in a studio)

Why do you need pairs? Is this an internal challenge?

This is not a challenge. The guys got into a difficult situation, they were left without ice. They've been looking for ice all last season. This had a bad effect on their results and work in general. They have an Olympic season. Loudly said, but probably the last hope. They humanly asked to let them in. And how can they be put on the ice to the singles? It's impossible. So, it was necessary to find the opportunity to give them ice separately. That's the whole story.

So far we have one pair. And then it will turn out a new skating rink will be built, there will be more ice, more opportunities, and it will be possible to develop the second type - pair skating. Why not?

(in training)

Eteri: Where? Run, lift up - where is it? It is very important. It didn’t come, you didn’t lift her, there was no final point. Big things are made up of little things. Understand? Every little thing is like a piece of a puzzle. Collect it - and get into the final pose, it matters.

(in a studio)

How about the skating rink, by the way?

Hard.

Are there any difficulties?

Probably, there are always difficulties with construction. I want to say that we nevertheless moved this colossus, it seems like it began to be built. I don't know if it will be built, and how long it will take to build, but at least they started.

Will this be your base and the famous Tutberidze team will go there?

I don’t want to leave this base too

Will we see your boys at the Beijing Olympics? By the girls, we understood - the plan is three medals.

It's more difficult with boys. Here is Yulia, Alina, now the next girls - they can be motivated. You say: you want to take place in life, so that your children are the children of a famous mother; so that you have your own apartment? And they understand this. Boys do not think about the future, it is impossible to motivate them for this so that their children live better.

How did it happen? Well, is there really not at least three boys to take the pedestal? Well, at least find three.

Do not know. Well, we don't have boys (laughs).

(in training)

Eteri: Do you even understand that you are our only hope for the 22nd century?

(in a studio)

I don’t understand why our boys rejoice at some strange results. “Today I was able to enjoy my skating for the first time,” says the athlete, who landed in fifth place. And everyone expected that he would at least be on the podium. But why? Ask yourself more. You can. Well, ask yourself more! Maybe the coach should irritate, ask.

You raise yourself so that you are the weaker sex.

Usually yes. Usually, when families break up, or there are difficulties with children, the dads run away.

Yes, that is, the man is somehow weaker. This is how we raise our boys, that they are weaker. And they piously believe in it - “we are weaker”. But they must to fight here.

The life of men is shorter.

Maybe we need to change the attitude towards boys if we want to raise men.

(in training)

Eteri: You seem to be working there, on spins, on jumps, but at the same time you do not complete the assigned tasks. In general, you do not perform any tasks. You won't be able to prepare anywhere like that. You won't even be able to show 50% of your capabilities.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 7:

(in a studio)

Do you control the diet of your skaters? What do they eat, how, how many times a day?

No no. I am not in control of their diet. I weigh them. I'm not even weighing it, I just ask that they send it to me. It is advisable to weigh yourself every day, because it is much easier to solve the problem at the initial stages than when it is already 2-3 kilograms and you really need to lose weight, and when it is 200-300 grams, this is nothing.

200 grams of extra is just like taking a phone in hand ...

But today 200 grams, and every day 200 grams, what will it be in 10 days?

If you speak, but nothing happens?

Badly.

What happens to girls like that?

Nothing, just trying to explain: a kilogram is almost nothing, take a carton of milk, put it in your pocket and run. The athlete loads the body more than necessary; injuries - muscles, ligaments; fatigue, which will accumulate more, because it is a whole carton of milk, plus a kilogram - it would seem a little. And then we talk - a fatigue fracture, which means I trained a lot. Or maybe she was gaining weight, losing weight, gaining weight again, losing weight? Began under-rotated, because the weight, because fatigue, when losing weight, and not because of insane loads.

Weight can be controlled, but what to do with growth? If a person stretches, and it can't be stopped? There were 160 people, and then 180 - what to do?

Very carefully. Because the bone grows, it stretches, and for a while it is a little hollow inside. We must be careful with the loads. The muscles do not have time, the impulse through the body goes slower, the athlete becomes slower. So he stretched out his hand - and already more slowly. And in general it moves more slowly. Here you have to wait, train and wait.

Is this a contraindication [to exercise]? Is there no limit?

If this happens at the peak of the competition, of course, this is bad. You cant to hang a sign: I am growing. You went out with everyone together - that's it. Therefore, I believe that, on the contrary, it is more difficult to work with athletes who are growing than when they have already grown and formed, and you need to keep them.

Is it easier for those who work with the "oldies"?

I think so. Because nothing changes there. You already know exactly what kind of athlete you will have in two weeks, a month. And here you don't know. You don't even know who he will look like - like dad, mom, grandmother, grandfather, how tall will he be?

And I repeat once again - when this is all during the season, it is especially difficult. So I haven't seen Sofya Akatieva for some time and I see that she has grown up, and catches herself a little. We must be very careful, because there are injuries, and we are in the skates, in a load, and we cannot stop skating programs or not jumping some jumps.

Figure skating has become so difficult that, unfortunately, the technical elements, each jump can be the last. And here it is not a question of load or proper training, everything is together here: somewhere there is fatigue, lack of concentration, maybe the athlete slept badly, maybe he did his homework at home until 1 am, maybe something upset him. He is not concentrated, he goes in a jump, and ... We are going up the stairs, we can lose concentration and fall, let alone in jumping ...

(in training)

Eteri: what, you are not able to jump? You haven't worked anything yet, but you've already thrown out half.

florin

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Well, that is, they are not mature women. And what's the matter then? If she is, for example, an adult, maybe she did not spend her other years so intensively and therefore became an adult? Well, for some years ... Maybe she was gone for almost four years?

Someone conditional has not been for 4 years ... (laughs)

Yes, someone conditional. I want to say: why Savchenko, who went through, in my opinion, five Olympiads - that is, it is 20 years, her performance increased - why has she not complained for the last 8 years (these are two Olympics) that there are youngsters next to her? Because she is a great athlete. There was not a single cry about this during the era of her skating.

I'm sorry, I'll criticize you a little again :) At this moment, Eteri is obviously talking about Tuktamysheva (and by the way, I said the same thing recently - that in fact, from the point of view of a sports career, Tuktamysheva is not 24 years old, but 20-21 - again, I will immodestly repeat that smart people have similar thoughts :laugh: ) Since they are moving on to sensitive topics (the longevity of Tuktamysheva), talk show host half-jokingly suggests a code word for such sitations that he used earlier - "условный" ("conditionally", "relatively speaking"). Here you translate this as "conditional" but in the past part with Plushenko "relatively speaking":

I don't know, but there is Plushenko, relatively speaking ...

Does he exist?

I do not know!

And me too.

As a result, it will not be clear to non-Russian speakers that this is the same thing, and that this is some kind of euphemism that they playfully use.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
part 8:

A question that haunts many people: does the personal life of girls prevent them from achieving success?

If everything is correct, if they train as they should, they have no personal life.

I'm talking about those to whom age permits.

And all the same it is practically nonexistent. Well, maybe they are dating someone, but I don't get into it.

Generally?

What for?

Well, they say, the mythology is such that a coach he is such a despot who dictates to whom, with whom, when to meet or not to meet, forbids, or vice versa. I don't know, maybe it helps to develop the necessary emotions before the competition.

Do not know. I don't get into this. The last athlete who shared with me herself, and I was very quiet ... not even advice, but simply could express my opinion - that was Zhenya Medvedeva. Everything.

What do they say there? I am a coach of youngsters, juniors, who am I a coach there? Apparently, I haven’t come across this yet. We have no such problems. The boys somehow deal with it.

About the boys they usually say that it does not bother them.

Usually they say ... All this interferes. But if they start adjusting to someone else's schedule ...

Is that all?

Well, of course.

Secrets that you do not want to share, what are they?

Technical.

It sounded great, but ...

Technical. Sometimes you look at some kind of jump - a person fell, fell, fell, and I know the mistake for sure and think: well, I would correct it. Maybe so it seems. And I will share these very secrets with Seryozha, with Dania, but I don’t want to give the secrets to anyone else. Greed. Although God commanded to share.

(in training)

Eteri: the second block - what was it now? You fried like pancakes - shmyak, shmyak, shmyak. I do not understand. The first block ... First, you finish ...

Daniel: late

Eteri: you hustle and throw the step tracks. And then you want to do it, but you will no longer have the strength. You let yourself go on the path and just like a sausage ...

(in a studio)

How do you feel about complaints from other coaches about improper refereeing?

Constantly some of these complaints about the rules, everything is wrong: they sued, did not appreciate. It seems to me that as soon as an athlete begins to say this, this is the beginning of the end. Especially if the coach still picks it up. As soon as the coach says: we have been condemned, for me this is an indicator that he does not see any ways of correcting, improving skating. So you did everything, then give up this athlete.

And if an athlete starts to say this, he will definitely not make progress. He looks for an error not in himself, but in the system.

When they start looking for the guilty among the coaches, saying: here Tutberidze churns out youngsters, is this politics?

I don’t know, this is nonsense. It's stupidity why I don't understand a little that our compatriots complain more about the rules and hate more than foreigners. They are raising this wave. For what, what is it? Complete lack of patriotism or what? What do you want? I don't understand this a little. I try to abstract myself, but if I ask myself a question, then I do not understand. More criticism comes from our own.

These are some theatrical intrigues in the world of figure skating.

This is some kind of nonsense. When you read these comments of someone else and another, I always want to say: and-and-and who is entering the circus arena this time? And the next one. You just wait - some journalist or blogger suddenly speaks out about programs, performances. You think: oh well, even you understand more.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sorry if I'm too mean :)

and I don’t mean to sound mean either. We all have different styles. :)

Jumping off,
@Alex Fedorov thank you so much for these translations, it is always good to have a common ground as to what was said, and thank you also @florin for your edits and commentary.

I may or may not agree with a particular point that Eteri makes, but if and when I do offer an opinion, I am grateful for our Russian speakers for giving us the necessary background.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
Have you developed a recipe for fighting star fever in girls?

Not. I try to explain with examples, I try to say that now this is star fever, that you decided that you can afford to strain 50% less than what you did yesterday. I'm trying to explain that this is star fever. It seems to you that you are already there, you already know everything, you will do it this way. And this is a mistake.

Does it bother them that their names are already a brand? It is clear, for example, that Alena Kostornaya is a brand.

Sometimes, being a brand, you do not realize that you are some kind of brand. I'm pretty sure half of them don't realize it.

Does Anya Shcherbakova not understand that she is a brand?

She understand. Very smart and very well-mannered. I have never heard a bad word from her for all the time that we work with her. We have it from a young age.

What does bad word?

Somehow to answer, to snort - there is no such thing.

Did you hear bad words from all the other girls?

Well, in general, yes. Sasha - in her own way, it's not a bad word, but she has emotions. There will be no emotions from Anya - she may not like something, she will restrain herself. But, as we can see, she has a character. Let's see how she handles those copper pipes. I want it to appear somewhere, because I really want all of them to be able to skate to their maximum at the right time. Then this is the right fight. And not when one did not have time to come up, the other did not have time to get together or realize that it was time to turn on.

We talked about almost everyone, but only a little bit about Kamila. Who is she to you now?

She's just a girl who has a lot of talents that fit this kind of occupation. She is flexible and stretched, and can convey an image, she feels the music, and it is interesting for her to ride in the image, she understands what sliding is, has a sense of posture, she is jumping.

I saw a plate in one of the offices, how it grew.

Yes, she grew up great. And imagine, now we would send Camila to the juniors - to compete with real children.

Alena is a difficult girl. She is cool, alive, real, she wants to try everything that is in this life, and everything - on herself. Here to explain that this is an Olympic year and maybe it is the only Olympic year in your life ...

What laws apply to Sasha Trusova? What are the laws of biomechanics?

Sasha Trusova is a very bright child, just a child - I don't know what she will become when she grows up. Now it is clean and bright. As if sparks of energy, light emanate from it. I really want her to succeed. She deserves it because she is stubborn, she goes to this without lies, without deception. I’m not saying that it’s bad or somehow, but she has that way. I really want her to achieve all her conceived goals.

When they are called "Russian rocket" ...

I don't think she mind. I know that the girls did not really like it when they called them ТЩК, because each of them wanted to be a separate letter. They didn't like it.

They just "fired" at the same time. That's why it happened. And everyone associated with you. So you had such a trinity - Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaya.

They didn't like it all. Perhaps the fact that they eventually flew in different directions is precisely an attempt to take place as a separate letter.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
and last part:

Who is your main competitor now?

Well, if we are talking about girls who should be selected at the Russian championship in the fight for places in the Olympic team, then probably each of them is a competitor to itself. These are not big words, they are strong enough to compete for an Olympic medal.

What are your plans after Beijing?

Try to keep our positions. This is sometimes the most difficult thing. Not to get there, but to hold these positions.

Do you feel like the most demanded coach?

Not. I perfectly understand - the higher we climb in medals, the more demand we have. Because people believe and wait.

When your girls are on the podium, the anthem sounds, they have a gold medal, do you see yourself in this place?

No no. I just try to breathe in with my chest and keep this moment in me, as much as possible to keep it. Well, somewhere to say: thank you, Lord. Let for this short period of time. It doesn't matter what level the medal is, it doesn't matter. We came and did it.

Alex Fedorov

Medalist
Country
Russia
I'm sorry, I'll criticize you a little again :) At this moment, Eteri is obviously talking about Tuktamysheva (and by the way, I said the same thing recently - that in fact, from the point of view of a sports career, Tuktamysheva is not 24 years old, but 20-21 - again, I will immodestly repeat that smart people have similar thoughts :laugh: ) Since they are moving on to sensitive topics (the longevity of Tuktamysheva), talk show host half-jokingly suggests a code word for such sitations that he used earlier - "условный" ("conditionally", "relatively speaking"). Here you translate this as "conditional" but in the past part with Plushenko "relatively speaking":

As a result, it will not be clear to non-Russian speakers that this is the same thing, and that this is some kind of euphemism that they playfully use.
Here again the question of choosing the right word. Perhaps the word "virtual" would be more understandable, but I try not to break away from the original very much. And the word "интеллигентная" had to be replaced ...

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I've just watched her interview and found it bracing and strangely motivational for my own goals. I think my two favorite parts were:

the idea that okay, maybe other people need 5 hrs a day to get the result, but if you need 12, you put in 12.
that the day you start complaining that you are underscored or unappreciated, it's the beginning of the end.

Dunno about the Russian skaters, but I am pinning those two on the sticky notes. Because I kinda right now want something very specific as badly as those guys want their medals, so if it works for them :devil: