2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating | Page 57 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating

Lzbee

Final Flight
You mean Aliev right Mozalev is only 18?:scratch2:

Mozalev is about to be 19, not sure about Aliev, but I sure hope neither will retire! I meant this in the narrow context of 2020-2022 seasons.
Sorry for the confusion, I meant Mozalev will be 22 at 2026 Olympics and could still continue after that if he wanted.

I hope that Aliev will continue and get his mojo back, he is a lovely performer.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Sorry for the confusion, I meant Mozalev will be 22 at 2026 Olympics and could still continue after that if he wanted.

I hope that Aliev will continue and get his mojo back, he is a lovely performer.
Yes to both, though I feel with Mozalev it will be how much improvement he can achieve, and if the injuries would start accumulating too fast... I would love to see what he would do by 2026 if he is working steadily, instead of in swings.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Mozalev is about to be 19, not sure about Aliev, but I sure hope neither will retire! I meant this in the narrow context of 2020-2022 seasons.
Aliev is 22, same as Mozalev will be by the next Olympics, and he was the same age as Mozalev when he went to his. Aliev is also the same age now as Kolyada was when he went to the last Olympics. 1995/1999/2003, all four years apart.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Aliev is 22, same as Mozalev will be by the next Olympics, and he was the same age as Mozalev when he went to his. Aliev is also the same age now as Kolyada was when he went to the last Olympics. 1995/1999/2003, all four years apart.
That’s neat! I actually don’t remember Aliev in the Olympics at all. There was just so much, and, like, I saw Uno and was somewhat indifferent to everything else in men’s singles.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
That’s neat! I actually don’t remember Aliev in the Olympics at all. There was just so much, and, like, I saw Uno and was somewhat indifferent to everything else in men’s singles.
Yes, he was there and got into the final flight after his beautiful waltz 4Lz SP, but the nerves of it proved too much for him in the FS. Even in the SP his hand was shaking visibly in the starting pose, but he managed to hold it together.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, he was there and got into the final flight after his beautiful waltz 4Lz SP, but the nerves of it proved too much for him in the FS. Even in the SP his hand was shaking visibly in the starting pose, but he managed to hold it together.
Wow, that’s great! Not that his nerves failed, obviously, that he reached the top six.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Also, a public service announcement. In case there are those who do not realise it, Kvitelashvili's first name is and has always been Moris. It was transformed into Morisi by the Georgian Fed when he switched countries because of the rules of the Georgian language, which I doubt Kvitelashvili even speaks since he's from Moscow. No one has ever called him Morisi in real life.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Even in the SP his hand was shaking visibly in the starting pose, but he managed to hold it together.
Yes! I remember that so very clearly... because it was the first time I saw a skater so nervous and I was rather worried about how he'd go. But it was a beautiful SP 🥰 Although I totally can't remember how the FS went...he did better than Mika K did in the end I think?

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Also, a public service announcement. In case there are those who do not realise it, Kvitelashvili's first name is and has always been Moris. It was transformed into Morisi by the Georgian Fed when he switched countries because of the rules of the Georgian language, which I doubt Kvitelashvili even speaks since he's from Moscow. No one has ever called him Morisi in real life.
Except the rink announcers :laugh:

How would you say Morisi? Is the 'i' silent? Or is it like Moris-ee?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes! I remember that so very clearly... because it was the first time I saw a skater so nervous and I was rather worried about how he'd go. But it was a beautiful SP 🥰 Although I totally can't remember how the FS went...he did better than Mika K did in the end I think?
Yes, and that started the whole "why didn't they put Aliev in the SP and Kolyada in the FS?" thing. They really should have done, but as usual men didn't get a substitution because nobody wanted to give and extra medal to the unworthy Russian men, and that proved costly.

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yes, they placed 7th and 8th iirc.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Aliev peaked at the Olympics while Kolyada did better at Worlds, but they both did well enough to bring home three Worlds spots. It's such a pity Aliev only managed to pull himself together for one season since then. He's a skater who deserves more.
I try not to remember Montreal 2020, but whenever Aliev is brought up, I start tearing up about it. Well, at least I got to see Danielian in Vegas this year 😅 but yeah. I had seen Hanyu, Chen, Zhou, Uno, Grassl, Aymoz, Nguyen and Sadovsky, but from the Russian men I ended up with a strange selection of Lazukin, Shulepov and Danielian 🤷‍♀️

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Those Olympics did not prove lucky for either participant. Aliev went into a slump and Kolyada contracted sinusitis which screwed up two seasons, one missed completely. I hope these coming Olympics will not be so jinxed for the guys who are going.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Those Olympics did not prove lucky for either participant. Aliev went into a slump and Kolyada contracted sinusitis which screwed up two seasons, one missed completely. I hope these coming Olympics will not be so jinxed for the guys who are going.
To be honest, I am not looking forward to the Olympics, because it feels like too much and with Covid, and figure skating all spread out… I like normal seasons better.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Yes, and that started the whole "why didn't they put Aliev in the SP and Kolyada in the FS?" thing. They really should have done, but as usual men didn't get a substitution because nobody wanted to give and extra medal to the unworthy Russian men, and that proved costly.
I thought they go by ranking? Higher ranks get to choose whether they want to skate one or both programs. Medvedeva as the reigning World champ at the time, opted for SP only. Then T/M's turn to chose; they were the reigning Worlds bronze medalists (also Euros champs) opted for SP only as well.

That, or they split the disciplines with individual medal hopefuls to not burn them out.

Speaking of burnout... Virtue/Moir and Duhamel/Radford chose to skate both programs in Team Event, and things worked out just fine for both teams, so I guess the burnout factor is very YMMV.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
I thought they go by ranking? Higher ranks get to choose whether they want to skate one or both programs. Medvedeva as the reigning World champ at the time, opted for SP only. Then T/M's turn to chose; they were the reigning Worlds bronze medalists (also Euros champs) opted for SP only as well.

That, or they split the disciplines with individual medal hopefuls to not burn them out.

Speaking of burnout... Virtue/Moir and Duhamel/Radford chose to skate both programs in Team Event, and things worked out just fine for both teams, so I guess the burnout factor is very YMMV.
The skaters don't decide the matter. Coaches and the Fed negotiate. It's based on several considerations, who makes the stronger team vs. whose strength should be saved for the individual event vs. every coach trying to grab more medals for their students.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Ah, I guess every fed does it differently. Cause Shibutanis were given a choice.

When is the last day the feds must submit the Team Evdnt entries? And can they switch assignments based on (a) results of SP; and (b) after seeing entries of other countries?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Ah, I guess every fed does it differently. Cause Shibutanis were given a choice.

When is the last day the feds must submit the Team Evdnt entries? And can they switch assignments based on (a) results of SP; and (b) after seeing entries of other countries?
I am not sure about the last day. But before the last Olympics the final decision re: Kolyada and Aliev in the team event was done after watching how each performs at the pre-Olympics camp, so I think you can submit alternates and substitute them at will. According to what I have read, the substitutions can be decided on after the SP as well