2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating | Page 59 | Golden Skate

2021-2022 Russian Men's Figure Skating

Riv

Rinkside
Country
Russia
But he hasn't even been selected for the team event. Kondratiuk seems more likely at this point.

I mean, I like Semenenko but the guy doesn't even have good jumps, let alone everything else. If he was early Boyang I could understand the sentiment but he isn't by any stretch of imagination. Sigh.
Yeah but now some people feel like Kolyada doesn't deserve anything nice anymore for that bad skate, not even another Olympics. Yes, even 4 years later. Russian fans (or rather glory hunters) are cruel.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Yeah but now some people feel like Kolyada doesn't deserve anything nice anymore for that bad skate, not even another Olympics. Yes, even 4 years later. Russian fans (or rather glory hunters) are cruel.
Kolyada was so traumatised by that bad skate that he kept seeing an image of his double shooting him with a machine gun. That almost gave me nightmares when I heard it. I mean, it's about an Olympic medal, not the future of humanity dammit. So it makes me really angry when people continue piling on on him.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
This negativity (not the posters here!) is about the guy who got the first World's medal in years, for a Russian man? The guy who struggled with sinusitis and actually needed surgery, then came back renewed and brought us the beautiful White Crow programme? The guy who, more recently, turned out to be the only Russian man who qualified for the GPF 2021 (even if the GPF was cancelled)? I really don't get this.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
And it's not like Kolyada was the only one to bomb the short program in that competition. There were fewer men who didn't. Chen also went on to bomb the SP in the individual event, but people probably were not wishing his family to get cancer like they did with Kolyada. Sorry, I am feeling kind of depressed right now after the women's event.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
This negativity (not the posters here!) is about the guy who got the first World's medal in years, for a Russian man? The guy who struggled with sinusitis and actually needed surgery, then came back renewed and brought us the beautiful White Crow programme? The guy who, more recently, turned out to be the only Russian man who qualified for the GPF 2021 (even if the GPF was cancelled)? I really don't get this.
I think the biggest problem was the expectations originally placed on him that I don't think he ever had a chance of fulfilling. If Kondratiuk doesn't turn out to be the new Plushenko he'll get his too. Another reason is that Kolyada has been around for a while continuing to disappoint instead of being replaced by a newer shinier version that everyone has been jonesing for. Also, he's always been a pretty closed off person outside of in-depth interviews which apparently nobody bothers to read, and people want to see public tearing out of hair when a skater fails their expectations. So he got the reputation of not just being a failure but not caring about it, which brought a lot of hatred in its own right. The Russian fans have this odd thing where they feel like they own a skater somehow and every skater owes them something that they must deliver on, otherwise why are they even skating?

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Ironically Kolyada is precisely the type of person who gets hung up on what he owes to his country/team/coach etc. and how he must not fail them, only in his case the more pressure he puts on himself the less well he's likely to do, which is actually not at all unusual but for some reason people have trouble grasping this and think putting extra pressure on him is the way to go. I'm not surprised he's cut off almost all contact with journalists etc. just to keep himself in a healthy mental space.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
On another note, after watching Junior Nationals SP. Every skater should be sent to Chebotareva for classes to learn skating skills. I don't know what magic she works, but she seems to be able to teach pretty much everyone to skate properly. Kolyada was lucky to have her growing up. They also teach really good choreo basics, but that's not magic but many, many hours of hard work.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Objectively, though, he is still the best, and they need him. But, it all circles back to needing medals. I mean, I love Keegan Messing, looking forward to find out what will happen to Gogolev and don’t experience any burning need for new Patrick Chan as a Canadia fan, but Russian men make me worried, because of this strange expectation that they gotta be on the podium… I hope the three guys do well and the public will mellow out.

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Objectively, though, he is still the best, and they need him. But, it all circles back to needing medals. I mean, I love Keegan Messing, looking forward to find out what will happen to Gogolev and don’t experience any burning need for new Patrick Chan as a Canadia fan, but Russian men make me worried, because of this strange expectation that they gotta be on the podium… I hope the three guys do well and the public will mellow out.
Yes, medals seem to be the only thing many people watch figure skating for. I mean, reasonably, what country has top contenders in every single discipline? That's what glory hunters seem to be expecting. There are three other disciplines for people interested above all in World and Olympic podiums to watch.

Jasira

Mishki and Queen Anna
Medalist
Country
Germany
Kolyada was so traumatised by that bad skate that he kept seeing an image of his double shooting him with a machine gun. That almost gave me nightmares when I heard it. I mean, it's about an Olympic medal, not the future of humanity dammit. So it makes me really angry when people continue piling on on him.

I already feel bad for every skater, if Russia won´t win gold in the team event. :(

Riv

Rinkside
Country
Russia
Okay, at this point it's bullying of Kolyada by the media, because what the hell is this article
I can't believe someone thought it was appropriate to write and then post something like this.

AlexBreeze

Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Okay, at this point it's bullying of Kolyada by the media, because what the hell is this article
I can't believe someone thought it was appropriate to write and then post something like this.
I can't believe that RIA publishes such things. Not Sport-Express, not Championat but RIA. What the hell?

FJPTAetXwAIDydj

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just the headline of that article is a "What the Actual F-"

I guess it's an editorial, but there's no excuse for it.

Sports journalism in Russia is total trash though. I recommend not reading it, I've never learnt anything from those articles that I couldn't find out second hand elsewhere without the BS.

I hope Mika and his team can ignore it. If Russia has a "Support an athlete" thing (Australia has them) we should flood Mika with all the love.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
So, when I told you before that Russia cares ZERO about their athletes and being chosen for a team was more likely a burden than a blessing, it wasn’t a lie. You can bet if the new guys bomb, they’ll probably get the same treatment. Or worse, because the current scapegoat will retire sooner rather than later.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
But also, I’m not excusing the fans of a particular team in Russia who blamed Misha for not giving golds for the two best ladies back then. It was because of him that only one of them got to have a gold and the other couldn’t. These kinds of comments lasted for too long. So yeah, there media is trash, but fans were doing it, older athletes were doing it, and no one thought it might impact the top skater in Russia at the time.

If Misha wasn’t interested in skating in the least he’d have packed his bags four years ago and never look back. But he didn’t. And maybe for that, he’s the fool.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
This article is disgusting and disrespectful not only to Kolyada, but also to Mishin, Mishina, and Chebotareva. :(
I will now cheer double for Misha at the Olympics, for whatever it's worth.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sigh, that kind of business is happening now too...and the event hasn't even happened yet!

It's like people don't quite get the idea of a "Team" event. The team works together towards a goal, sometimes it doesn't end in a win, sometimes it does. But no team member deserves to get hate, because that's the nature of a team event and members will know that going in.
If Misha wasn’t interested in skating in the least he’d have packed his bags four years ago and never look back.
Truer words have never been spoken! Misha has gone through so much in order to skate. And he's given figure skating fans a lot of special moments.

A little bit of respect from the journalists would not go astray.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
This article is disgusting and disrespectful not only to Kolyada, but also to Mishin, Mishina, and Chebotareva. :(
I will now cheer double for Misha at the Olympics, for whatever it's worth.
Not to mention also trashing Mozalev, Kondratiuk and the entire Russian men's field, really :(

BTW I was curious who Anatoly Samokhvalov is so I googled him, and saw some headline from a dodgy aggregator about Estonia rejecting his visa for Euros because they deemed him a 'threat to internal security'... Wondering if someone who reads Russian media can verify this?
If so maybe it would explain why he is in such a stroppy mood lately :cautious: