2022 World Championships: Pairs Free Skate | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2022 World Championships: Pairs Free Skate

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
Is there a reason you're so desperate to downplay the seriousness of what happened to Ashley?
If the output is the same, that means the other thing can be the same way serious! It can be more positive for the future development of her skating career for sure, and that is what i'm hoping for. And for all your notifications, it is not less serious to be in a psychological distress comparing to physical one.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I know it's not really the point but I hope the ISU will allot the USA three spots next year because we all know if it weren't for the accident Ash and Tim would've placed high enough to earn that third spot with K/F.

My first concern by far is for Ashley's health :pray:, but to address the secondary matter of spots for 2023 Worlds:

I believe USA did earn three pair spots for 2023 Worlds.
I think the ISU rule below means that USA will be treated as if it had only one 2022 pair entry ... which placed first -- meaning that three spots were earned.
From Rule 378 on pp. 25-26 of https://isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-regulations-rules/file:

"However the Competitors who withdrew because of:
- illness or injury, (provided this illness or injury is certified by the ISU Medical Advisor) or
- unexpected damage to the equipment during the warm up or the performance (provided this damage of the equipment is certified by the Referee),​
are not considered as entered for the purpose of this Rule if they did not start or finish the Free Skating/Free Dance, but were among the top ten in the Short Program/Rhythm Dance."​

For the purpose of this rule, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc would not be considered as entered -- because they did not finish the FS and they did place in the top ten in the SP.

Sorry that I do not know whether someone else on GS posted this rule earlier.
Apologies if I missed it -- have not attempted to keep up with everything on GS today.

I think if you win the other skater just has to make the free. Which happened. But with the wd I don’t know what the rule is.

Side note for future reference: No, the normal requirement for three spots is not what you said.

"Competitors who qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance, but were not placed higher than 16th place in the final result will be awarded 16 points (or the number of points equal to the number of Competitors if the number of Competitors entered is less than 16 in cases of withdrawals not specified in the paragraph below)."​

For three spots, thirteen is the maximum number of total placement points for two entries (or highest two of three entries).

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If the output is the same, that means the other thing can be the same way serious! It is more positive for the future developement for sure, and that is what i'm hoping for

I don’t understand what you are saying:scratch2:

Since Ashley has shown no signs in competition of any “fight or flight” response, if that was what it was, it would be temporary and she could recover more quickly.

If it is in fact a concussion, it would be a major physical injury requiring weeks, if not months, of recovery.

and I’m not going back in the thread, so please correct me if I misphrased, but I believe you said you thought it was some psychological issue *rather than* a major physical injury. As though it were one or the other.

I trust the hospital evaluation will tell us how major this physical injury is:pray:

ETA: Re-reading, if we are both hoping that Ashley can recover quickly, then maybe we are saying the same thing. Except there is nothing in Ashley’s public history while skating to show a history of stress reaction, while unfortunately there is a history of concussion.

purplecat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
What a mix of emotions... I'm thrilled for Alexa and Brandon - and am so glad they won with a tremendous freeskate! I'm so proud of them. At the same time I'm so sad and worried for Ashley. I wish she and Tim could've been on that podium with Alexa and Brandon. But most of all I hope she will be okay. Hugs to the American pairs!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alexa is one of the NICEST yet fiercest women you'll ever meet. She works very hard at her craft and has a huge desire to win, but is not an A-hole. I don't understand the hatred towards her. I truly don't. I skated with her when she was still a singles skaters (junior ladies, I want to say) on practices at one of the rinks in our area and she was focused but was able to share the ice. A few years ago, before she and Chris were married but were already skating together, she was in Illinois visiting the fam over the holidays and came to that same rink. She spent well over two hours working on her singles elements (2A, 3T, 3S, solo spin, skating skills...) and was focused but still not rude and still able to share the ice as she had been when she was a singles skater and 14 or 15. She was polite and complimentary when we all got off the session with everyone she shared the ice with that day from the little girl working on waltz jumps to the old adult lady working on novice moves (me). Her parents were there and still as proud of her as a person as they had been when she was a teen. To project something from an interview or a segment from an interview into hatred is irrational. ::Rant Off::
I’ve only gotten to speak to her at FOFS but she’s always been very nice to me. And her husband is an amazing human being as well.

Cilla70

On the Ice
For all we know they left Sappenfield because something happened.
As people we are not always responsible for the negative actions of those around us. Alexa and Vanessa are having to deal with the actions of their former coach and former partner. Vanessa’s life was impacted negatively due to someone else’s actions, not her own. Her pairs team was one of the top 3 in the world and ended abruptly. Close friends or family members who have made bad choices in their actions, should not mean you completely abandon those people. Love and friendship does not end easily. If Alexa and Vanessa were not contributing to or condoning those actions, because they are not publicly lambasting the accused, does not mean they have not let their disappointment be known personally. What would you do if it were your friend or loved one?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Since Ashley has shown no signs in competition of any “fight or flight” response, if that was what it was, it would be temporary and she could recover more quickly.

If it is in fact a concussion, it would be a major physical injury requiring weeks, if not months, of recovery.

and I’m not going back in the thread, so please correct me if I misphrased, but I believe you said you thought it was some psychological issue *rather than* a major physical injury. As though it were one or the other.

I trust the hospital evaluation will tell us how major this physical injury is:pray:

ETA: Re-reading, if we are both hoping that Ashley can recover quickly, then maybe we are saying the same thing. Except there is nothing in Ashley’s public history while skating to show a history of stress reaction, while unfortunately there is a history of concussion.
Cant read the whole thread as I am in shock. Thoughts for her husband and the whole extended family and team. I saw Jessica duBee (sp) get hit in the face by her partner's blade in a side by side spin...a group of 8th graders just had left behind me...Bryce Davidson...that was the partner's name...I am trying to unsee the face of Ashley's mom and Ashley's face....prayers

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't even begin to wonder what came over Ashley. It didn't look like she hit her head. Did she knock the wind out of herself? Did she become overwhelmed and couldn't perform? Had she hurt herself in practices? What happened to her? All they had to do was skate like they could, and they would have medaled. I'm not sure where she got injured, unless it was before the competition, or on the first jump. Or, it's just a case of her not being inside her head, and then unable to perform. It doesn't make any sense. She's usually so determined and with it.

Let's not join people who minimize the physical injury or question it. Everything that has been said by people who have experience with skating injuries and concussions say that's what it looked like. I could hardly stand to re-watch it, but I did just now. She hit her head on the hard ice, and possibly her chin.

What I do know, is that Miura/Kihara's messy, terrible free skate should not have been rewarded. It was obviously political that points were thrown at them to ensure they stayed ahead of the better free skate performance by J/R, who also skated well in the sp, with a few minor errors that kept them just behind S/B, a less experienced and mature team too. J/R should now have had the silver in front of M/K,

I agree. I could not believe it when I saw M/K's scores come up.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

Cant read the whole thread as I am in shock. Thoughts for her husband and the whole extended family and team. I saw Jessica duBee (sp) get hit in the face by her partner's blade in a side by side spin...a group of 8th graders just had left behind me...Bryce Davidson...that was the partner's name...I am trying to unsee the face of Ashley's mom and Ashley's face....prayers
Yeah, but what I have learned from years of watching sports is that bad injuries can often come out of accidents which look almost innocuous at first.
Exactly....who was that comedian that bumped his head, then layed down and died in the night a month or two ago?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Thank you. Also, to project from Twitter likes from her husband (as I have seen done) is also, to me, irrational. Folks making assumptions have no idea what Dalilah may or may not have been like to Alexa, or if they are victim blaming themselves.

Congratulations Alexa and Brandon!
I have no idea who likes what on Twitter, I'm not on it. I do remember Knierims together with Sappenfield doubting Coughlin was at fault though. And the whole Sappenfield funding his funeral.. eh. But feel free to correct me, my memory is not always right.

readernick

Medalist
I am with you. I saw into her eyes for a split second when she raised her head. Lights on, nobody home. Skaters fall all the time....she wasnt in shock mentally......lets see what the hospital says.
As someone who recently got a minor concussion from what, seemed like at the time, a very minor injury and suddenly fainted and lost consciousness several hours later. I agree with this. You never know what fall, what hit, will trigger a concussion. My husband said Ashley's eyes looked like mine right before I fainted. I hope she gets a lot of rest. She , unfortunately, has experience with this but for anyone else who gets a concussion make sure you rest. I kept thinking I was fine and trying to get back to my regular schedule but the symptoms would suddenly emerge again anytime I was tired. I just hope she gets better soon.

Anyway, K/F definitely had the performance of the event. Those skates would have put them in contention for a medal in any pairs field. They looked really shaken up before their skate. Being able to skate like that in these circumstances is a credit to their preparation and concentration.

CellarDweller

Ice Time
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just watched the pairs competition on replay (thanks Peacock).

I enjoyed seeing Vanessa and Eric make the podium. Should've been a silver.

Not sure what the judges were thinking with Riku & Ryuichi. They should've been behind James and Radford, IMO. They mad a lot of mistakes.

In shock and completely gutted for Ash & Tim. I'm praying that she is ok. That looked like a hard fall, and looked like her forehead hit the ice.

Congrats to Alexia and Brandon! I love that they both started laughing and smiling at the end of their program. So happy for them.

Erin9

On the Ice
What a mix of emotions... I'm thrilled for Alexa and Brandon - and am so glad they won with a tremendous freeskate! I'm so proud of them. At the same time I'm so sad and worried for Ashley. I wish she and Tim could've been on that podium with Alexa and Brandon. But most of all I hope she will be okay. Hugs to the American pairs!
Excellent sum up.

I really can’t believe the US finished 1st in Pairs at Worlds. Wow. First time since 1979. Even given the unusual circumstances going in- I wouldn’t have predicted this result.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My first concern by far is for Ashley's health :pray:, but to address the secondary matter of spots for 2023 Worlds:

I believe USA did earn three pair spots for 2023 Worlds.
I think the ISU rule below means that USA will be treated as if it had only one 2022 pair entry ... which placed first -- meaning that three spots were earned.
From Rule 378 on pp. 25-26 of https://isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-regulations-rules/file:

"However the Competitors who withdrew because of:​
- illness or injury, (provided this illness or injury is certified by the ISU Medical Advisor) or​
- unexpected damage to the equipment during the warm up or the performance (provided this damage of the equipment is certified by the Referee),​

are not considered as entered for the purpose of this Rule if they did not start or finish the Free Skating/Free Dance, but were among the top ten in the Short Program/Rhythm Dance."​

For the purpose of this rule, Cain-Gribble/LeDuc would not be considered as entered -- because they did not finish the FS and they did place in the top ten in the SP.

Sorry that I do not know whether someone else on GS posted this rule earlier.
Apologies if I missed it -- have not attempted to keep up with everything on GS today.

Side note for future reference: No, the normal requirement for three spots is not what you said.

"Competitors who qualified for the Free Skating/Free Dance, but were not placed higher than 16th place in the final result will be awarded 16 points (or the number of points equal to the number of Competitors if the number of Competitors entered is less than 16 in cases of withdrawals not specified in the paragraph below)."​

For three spots, thirteen is the maximum number of total placement points for two entries (or highest two of three entries).
You’d think I’d get tired of being wrong. I just remembered that last year when Nathan won and Vincent didn’t make the free last year I kept hearing all he would have had to do was to make the free to win the 3 spots outright and not have to confirm them at Nebelhorn. So I got this confused with that

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I just remembered that last year when Nathan won and Vincent didn’t make the free last year I kept hearing all he would have had to do was to make the free to win the 3 spots outright and not have to confirm them at Nebelhorn. So I got this confused with that

As I think you already have realized, you were confusing rules for earning 2022 Olympic spots with rules for Worlds spots.

At 2021 Worlds, Team USA men earned three spots for 2022 Worlds. Nathan placed first, and Jason placed seventh. 1 + 7 = 8. (Far below the maximum of 13.) For *Worlds* spots, the placement of the third Team USA entry did not matter.

The rules for earning three spots for 2022 *Olympics* were different. For a federation with three 2021 Worlds entries, the top two placements needed to add up to 13 or lower PLUS the third entry needed to qualify for the Worlds FS. If the third Worlds entry did not qualify for the FS, then the federation needed to earn the third Olympic spot via Nebelhorn.

You’d think I’d get tired of being wrong. ...

Please do not sell yourself short.
To my knowledge, you are not wrong on a very frequent basis. :ghug:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure what the judges were thinking with Riku & Ryuichi. They should've been behind James and Radford, IMO. They mad a lot of mistakes.

I've gone back and watched everything one more time, and I think this is one instance in which wuzrobbed comes into play.

In general, I'd call myself a fan of the Japanese and not of the Canadians... but personal preference has nothing to do with it. Eric and Vanessa wuzrobbed, even taking the SP margin into account. They should be wearing silver medals.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Excellent sum up.

I really can’t believe the US finished 1st in Pairs at Worlds. Wow. First time since 1979. Even given the unusual circumstances going in- I wouldn’t have predicted this result.
I was scrolling on FB and Randy Gardner posted a very kind post congratulating them. I was like WHAT?!?! So I came here to look for the results. I'm so happy for Kneirim and her decision to continue after her husband's injuries. And now she is a world champion! So happy for her. And even better, I am ecstatic for Vanessa and Eric and their winning bronze after only a year together. Amazing skaters and very deserving of all the success they have achieved. Yay for Vanessa/Eric and your success is a testament to your characters. Good job.