2022 World Figure Skating Championships: Men's Free Skate | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2022 World Figure Skating Championships: Men's Free Skate

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yeah this has always happened to Shoma. Behind Yuzu's shadow and now being tread on by Lambiel but he doesn't know anything different so is ok with it. But no what Lambiel did there is not cool he should control himself.
Yuzu literally crawled on his hands and knees when Shoma was being interviewed on camera in order to keep himself hidden from view. Does that sound like something Lambiel would do for Shoma?

Not on your life.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Raf did the same thing to Nathan. Should he control himself?

If Shoma is fine with Stéphane, I'm fine with Stéphane. Clearly he has brought out the best in Shoma.

Congrats to Shoma, a deserving champion!

Hey if people want to call Stephane attention-seeking, well, that's one take:). Raf smothers Nathan, celebrates more than Nathan, and makes it "all about Raf" way more than Stephane does, IMO. So I don't understand the criticism. But that's just me. :shrug:

Shoma obviously does his best work with Stephane, and that's all I care about. Thrilled for the triumph of Sholero!

sworddance21

On the Ice
Hey if people want to call Stephane attention-seeking, well, that's one take:). Raf smothers Nathan, celebrates more than Nathan, and makes it "all about Raf" way more than Stephane does, IMO. So I don't understand the criticism. But that's just me. :shrug:

Shoma obviously does his best work with Stephane, and that's all I care about. Thrilled for the triumph of Sholero!
I agree - I have never found Stephane seemed inappropriate to me. He seems genuinely to care about his skaters (he is the same way with Deniss). I actually thought when he was hugging Shoma in the K&K that Shoma was crying. Shoma has had quite a journey and his clearly positive relationship with Stephane as his coach certainly seems to have a lot to do with it.

16Olympics

On the Ice
Camden said he intended to continue skating, and studying.

Hopefully it could work for him like it did for Nathan🤞
If he’s still going to Columbia, lots of places to train. They might not be on the upper west side but easy enough to get to. Have to check if CU has a rink.
Yep. Columbia Ice Rink. Looks nice. Open august to June.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
Congratulations to the medalists and to everyone who skated well. Btw, Jason Brown would have won Bronze (beating Vincent) if he competed here and got the same scores that he did at the Olympics, so it's a little disappointing that he bowed out. But it was great to see Camden do so well. Bravo! Decent debut for Ilia, but they made the right decision not to send him to Beijing.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If he’s still going to Columbia, lots of places to train. They might not be on the upper west side but easy enough to get to. Have to check if CU has a rink.
He can also train at Chelsea Piers year round. Being a New Yorker, I hope he will be doing local performances every now and then between studying.

kimganos

On the Ice

I think he was just super excited! Shoma is his first World Champion!

sworddance21

On the Ice

I'm pretty sure the Columbia Ice Rink is in Maryland and not near Columbia University. Chelsea Pier Sky Rink has indoor skating and I think a lot of Skating Club of NY skaters train there. The other large NYC rinks are outdoors or difficult to get to. Ice House in Hackensack, NJ (15 - 20 minute drive from Columbia U depending on traffic) does have elite level skaters training there.

16Olympics

On the Ice
I'm pretty sure the Columbia Ice Rink is in Maryland and not near Columbia University. Chelsea PieYep, ]]r Sky Rink has indoor skating and I think a lot of Skating Club of NY skaters train there. The other large NYC rinks are outdoors or difficult to get to. Ice House in Hackensack, NJ (15 - 20 minute drive from Columbia U depending on traffic) does have elite level skaters training there.
Yep. You're right about Columbia rink. Not in NYC.

Link to rinks near/used by CU.

The NJ rink has the Petrenkos. Back to not planning Camden's next four years....

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
OMG, I have a lot to say, but I don't think I can get into it all. I looked at the sp earlier today and then I caught the fp just now. So it helps a little to have seen the sps and fps fairly close in time. I think the men had a day of rest in between, which the other disciplines should get also, especially pairs.

For those who were in the pairs threads doing all the bellyaching about wanting to see clean performances in pairs. LOL! The pair team who won gold skated both programs clean. The bronze medalist pairs should have been the silver medalists because they skated better overall than the held-up silver medalists, who should arguably have been off the podium. There were a number of other pairs teams who had two clean performances too. While, all the top men in Montpelier made too many mistakes. Camden Pulkinen is the only male competitor that I can recall who skated two clean programs. Adam Siao Him Fa had a good competition and I absolutely love his programs this season, but he had a couple of minor miscues in the fp and a very good, but not completely clean sp. A good season for Adam though, and I look forward to seeing his work with Benoit next season.

Unfortunately, Kevin Aymoz was just not on his game. I don't whether it's the result of residual effects of being injured this season, or mostly just the mental and physical stress of competing. But Kevin has such quality, and his skating has influenced other male skaters. The judges do not given Kevin enough credit. If the top Japanese guys can get so much credit and points for their superior qualities, Kevin Aymoz deserves a heck of a lot more credit for his superior creativity, musical expressivity, and presentation abilities.

I also feel that Deniss Vasiljevs deserved higher scores in the sp for his superior presentation skills and musicality. Deniss should have been 7th or 8th in the sp on the basis of PCS. Maybe he was somewhat deflated for not being rewarded the way he should have been in the sp. He tried to pull up with making sure he added a quad in the fp, but he had trouble with it, and then he made other errors. Still, Deniss has shown this season how much he's capable of being in the top 4 to 6 at events.

I thought the scoring in the sp for top four was okay, because Tomono has better PCS qualities than Ilia Malinin right now. And Ilia won on tech vs Tomono in the sp. Yuma had a very minor miscue on a landing in the sp, which received .12 negative GOE. Anyone else would have been dinged a lot more for the same error. Shoma was spectacular in the sp, and pretty wonderful in the fp too. So I'm very happy for Shoma. Still, Shoma began to make little mistakes at the end of his fp, which was distracting. My biggest issue with the way the scoring went in the fp, is that despite Shoma and Yuma having exceptionally special qualities, it isn't fair for them to be coddled with the points when they make mistakes! In this field, and based on their sp performances, Shoma and Yuma were still going to win. But be fair and bring some of those points down for their messy mistakes. I think it is wrong that Shoma and Yuma won by about 20 to 32 points over the rest of the field. More like 10 to 15 point spread win for those guys with their mistakes, makes better sense, in terms of fairness? Oh, but I forgot, nothing is ever fair in figure skating judging. :bang:

It's so wonderful for Camden being the only one to skate two clean performances. His fp was stellar and beautiful. Apparently, because this is Camden's first Worlds and he has been inconsistent previously, the judges didn't give him as much as he should have received in the sp. They did reward him in the fp. Ideally, Camden should be in 3rd place overall. But I suppose he feels good at least about getting the small bronze medal in the fp. Obviously, if Camden had more quads in his arsenal to go along with skating so perfectly, he could have scored a bit higher in both programs. The judges over-reward quads and mismanage PCS scoring. Anyway, kudos to Camden. I hope this result and what he accomplished here will have gotten him over the hump mentally going forward.

Vincent was Vincent (flashes of brilliance mixed with under-rotations), and I'm fine with him winning bronze because I don't think Morisi has all of the great qualities consistent with getting on the podium at the World championships. Morisi is so over-scored on PCS. The judges are quad-brained. Of course, Morisi pulled it together after making errors at the beginning of his program, and his other quads were well-executed. But I disagree with Morisi being so high in the sp. There was a tight bunch of men very closely scored in the sp, with Morisi and Daniel Grassl at the top of that chain. Neither Daniel nor Morisi should be so over-scored on GOE and PCS. But they always are.

I feel like this event is a good learning experience for Ilia. But I also really have to say that when you have excellent qualities and you are a U.S. guy, the judges don't give you anything. You always have to earn it, and keep proving it. That's truly what Nathan Chen had to do. Nathan had to be perfect with his five quads. The very few times that Nathan made uncharacteristic errors, he paid for it. He didn't get coddled like Shoma and Yuma, and Yuzuru too! The judges absolutely dumped on Ilia. I suppose in part because he's new to seniors; it's his first Worlds, and the U.S. has never had political clout that they knew how to use. As well, Ilia was the first guy in podium position to start messing up. Ilia began his fp brilliantly, but maybe he relaxed too much. His quad salchow suddenly went south, and he was thrown off thereafter on a couple of other elements. Still, Ilia finished fairly strong -- he didn't fall completely apart. Tomono made a lot of errors too, not to mention Shoma's and Yuma's mistakes. So, Ilia was harshly judged for his errors. Under the circumstances, Ilia should have been in 7th behind Tomono, not 9th. Ilia was dropped to 11th place in the fp?! That's a huge slapback! It's a good wakeup call for Ilia, but if the judges are going to coddle Shoma and Yuma for their mistakes, I do not agree with Ilia being placed behind Rizzo and Sadovsky in the fp.

I guess it's the pressure of knowing you are in podium position, and then having that long wait. Nathan and Yuzuru aren't there, and the podium was for the taking for those who could prevail.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Was Lambiel always such a narcissist, jesus let Shoma have his moment!! Hugging him, pulling him, being all over home. Then hugging the other dude in front of him so we can't even see Shoma, and after that basically latching onto Shoma again like a leech. I saw way more Lambiel than Shoma after the scores were announced.
Those moments weren't for the camera. They were sharing the emotion of a personal moment. The cameras were intrusive, but that's not Stephan's nor Demi-san's fault. I'll take their Kiss and Cry moments any day over some of the icy ones I've seen, not mentioning any names. I suspect Shoma was crying in the K & C, and I don't see anything wrong with a comforting hug. In Shoma's own words "Stephane cares about his skaters SO much."

You just don't like Stephane. That's fine. No one says you have to.

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yuzu literally crawled on his hands and knees when Shoma was being interviewed on camera in order to keep himself hidden from view. Does that sound like something Lambiel would do for Shoma?

Not on your life.
Yuzu crawled on his hands and knees to bring attention to himself. Nothing unusual there.

Last edited:

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
The judges absolutely dumped on Ilia. I suppose in part because he's new to seniors; it's his first Worlds, and the U.S. has never had political clout that they knew how to use. As well, Ilia was the first guy in podium position to start messing up. Ilia began his fp brilliantly, but maybe he relaxed too much. His quad salchow suddenly went south, and he was thrown off So, Ilia was harshly judged for his errors. Under the circumstances, Ilia should have been in 7th behind Tomono, not 9th. Ilia was dropped to 11th place in the fp?! That's a huge slapback! It's a good wakeup call for Ilia, but if the judges are going to coddle Shoma and Yuma for their mistakes, I do not agree with Ilia being placed behind Rizzo and Sadovsky in the fp.
The judges were 100% onboard with Malinin. Before the competition, I had his PCS at 38-39 for a clean SP and 76-79 for a clean FS. This is not high PCS, but his PCS didn’t need to be high to get on the podium. He would’ve accomplished that on tech. However, he broke 40 in the SP and so I figured he’ll score low 80s if clean in the free. But the judges gave him something like an 83 for a skate with several errors. The planned second-half 4T+1Eu+3S became a downgraded +REP, which cost him at least 15 points. That is what buried him. We’re not talking stepouts and hands-down here. The judges can’t do anything about downgrades and a fall. That’s on the technical panel and the panel was correct. The judges, however, were with Malinin the whole way. They gave him the GOES he deserves and too high PCS.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yikes....Is Canada down to 1 spot in both Ladies and the Men?

No. Just ladies.
France, Italy, Georgia and Canada secured 2 spots,.

Exactly @Jeanie19. I think Keegan was really worried about losing two spots when he saw his scores. Fortunately for Canada's men, Roman Sadovsky skated well enough to place 9th overall.

@mrrice, with two entries for a country, if one of the entries places in the top ten, then two spots are secured.

Ziotic

Medalist
Exactly @Jeanie19. I think Keegan was really worried about losing two spots when he saw his scores. Fortunately for Canada's men, Roman Sadovsky skated well enough to place 9th overall.

@mrrice, with two entries for a country, if one of the entries places in the top ten, then two spots are secured.
Before Keegan stepped foot on the ice,
Canada’s spots were secured as long as Keegan finished his program.

Either Keegan placed in the top 12, or if he placed below his placement would prop Roman into the top 12.