2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2021-22 Japanese figure skating - pairs and ice dance

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
WE HAVE ANOTHER PAIR TEAM! Well, maybe...
Kinoshita Group announced on Twitter that a new pair team will be unveiled at Bloom On Ice next month. Could this truly be a new pair team, or could it be Mao and her mystery partner?

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
WE HAVE ANOTHER PAIR TEAM! Well, maybe...
Kinoshita Group announced on Twitter that a new pair team will be unveiled at Bloom On Ice next month. Could this truly be a new pair team, or could it be Mao and her mystery partner?
Okay, so now Japan can officially send 3 pair teams to the WC (which is in Saitama:eek:) next year... then I'd be curious about this new pair team from Kinoshita Group. But I'm wondering is this 'new' team of Yunoki/Ichihashi, or there's actually another new team forming? JSF should get serious in training the 2nd or even a 3rd pair teamS!!

BTW, I don't think Mao's aiming to be competitive but only to train for her show...plus the 'mystery' partner is, no longer, a mystery....:wink:

readernick

Medalist
Speaking of developing pairs teams, based on an interview I heard, it seems the issue isn't a lack of interest from skaters or commitment from the JSF, but a lack of ice time for pairs skaters. Which made me question, where would do these new pairs teams train? Does a team really have to go abroad to get ice time and specialized pairs coaching?

Last edited:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Narumi Takahashi is the main pairs coach in Japan that I can think of. I thought there was difficulty in finding taller male skaters to try out pairs. Rink space does seem to be a big issue and also fewer funding opportunities - Kinoshita is doing well in trying to promote pairs these days.

Good news! Ryuichi is aiming for the next two Olympics with Riku!!

Today there is a new trailer for Kaho Yamashita and Yuto Nagata's next free dance:
A trailer! I almost thought I had tuned into on ice perspectives for a minute :love2:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Good news! Ryuichi is aiming for the next two Olympics with Riku!!

Glad to hear that! I look forwward to seeing Riku/Ryuichi develop further. I hope his health holds up. :pray:
KahoYu look nice together! I like that she seems to be a taller dancer than most, but maybe it's just my impresion. They've been together for a while, haven't they?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Glad to hear that! I look forwward to seeing Riku/Ryuichi develop further. I hope his health holds up. :pray:
KahoYu look nice together! I like that she seems to be a taller dancer than most, but maybe it's just my impresion. They've been together for a while, haven't they?
Yes :giggle: Their first championships together that I can find is Novice Nationals 2019 so about 3 years!

Here is Nao Kida/Masaya Morita's RD at junior worlds:
Also here with Ted's isu commentary.
They came 14th! They'll skate the free in the second group on Sunday.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Nao Kida/Masaya Morita's FD at junior worlds:
Watch here for Ted's ISU commentary.
KidaMori placed 12th overall! 🥳 This is a great result considering they have barely competed internationally. They have also earned 6 spots for the 22-23 JGP series (which could maybe go up) so I hope every one gets assigned :pray:
Credit to Cathy Reed for coaching this promising young team in Japan!

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
That was fun to watch! They still look a bit like two single skaters, but they will get there.

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
JSF's initial list of supported figure skaters for 2022~23 season (PDF released April 21, 2022)
As usual, this list is primarily based on Junior National and National Championship results and will possibly be updated as JGP, GP & Challenger assignments are announced

PAIRS
Special Strengthening
Riku Miura / Ryuichi Kihara (both Kinoshita Group)

ICE DANCE
Strengthening A
Misato Komatsubara / Takeru Komatsubara (Tim Koleto) (both Kurashiki FSC) National Champions

Kana Muramoto / Daisuke Takahashi (both Kansai University KFSC) National 2nd

Strengthening B
Nao Kida / Masaya Morita (both Kinoshita Academy) National Junior Champions

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
Good to see the junior ice dancers funded. I wonder why they are in B if they're the champions? Or will JSF give them A funding before JGP?

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
Good to see the junior ice dancers funded. I wonder why they are in B if they're the champions? Or will JSF give them A funding before JGP?
KidaMori's funding may increase after they recieve a JGP assignment however, I think it's more likely JSF will keep them at Strengthening B for the upcoming season
How well they perform and place at international competitions will then be used to determine they're future funding level

With the history of many young, promising Junior teams spliting after receiving fed support, I think JSF is hesistant to invest too much early on without strong commitment and results

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
So to clarify on my previous post,
during the opening number (when all the participating skaters were announced)
Murakami and Moriguchi were introduced together, came out and performed a Pair show lift
(not sure what it's called but similar to a bounce spin but holding onto one wrist and one ankle?)
However, they were not officially announced as a new Pair team and both performed during the show as Singles

For anyone unfamiliar with Haruna Murakami she placed 3rd (Novice A) at Novice Nationals this past season
and will be debuting as a Junior next season

I'll post if there is any update or official announcement of their partnership during Day 2 of the show

Last edited:

surimi

Record Breaker
So to clarify on my previous post,
during the opening number (when all the participating skaters were announced)
Murakami and Moriguchi were introduced together, came out and performed a Pair show lift
(not sure what it's called but similar to a bounce spin but holding onto one wrist and one ankle?)
However, they were not officially announced as a new Pair team and both performed during the show as Singles

For anyone unfamiliar with Haruna Murakami she placed 3rd (Novice A) at Novice Nationals this past season
and will be debuting as a Junior next season

I'll post if there is any update or official announcement of their partnership during Day 2 of the show

The more Japanese pairs, the merrier. But I agree that a show doesn't necessarily mean Murakami and Moriguchi are pairing up. I think Satoko has performed pairs elements in shows, and Russia's Medvedeva, too, but they didn't pursue pairs career. I think Moriguchi is fairly successful as a singles skater. Still, it would be fun to see a new Japanese pair.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
The more Japanese pairs, the merrier. But I agree that a show doesn't necessarily mean Murakami and Moriguchi are pairing up. I think Satoko has performed pairs elements in shows, and Russia's Medvedeva, too, but they didn't pursue pairs career. I think Moriguchi is fairly successful as a singles skater. Still, it would be fun to see a new Japanese pair.
It was said a few months ago that "a new pairs team would be debuting at BOI" and Sumitada has stated his intention to move to pairs so I'm going to say it seems pretty likely they're a new team.

surimi

Record Breaker
It was said a few months ago that "a new pairs team would be debuting at BOI" and Sumitada has stated his intention to move to pairs so I'm going to say it seems pretty likely they're a new team.

I wasn't aware. Great to know! ^ ^

tsuyoboogie

Record Breaker
This Nikkan Sports article confirmed Murakami and Moriguchi's partnership
It mentions they were having difficulties with the death spiral so Haruna practiced with Ryuichi and Sumitada with Riku to get a good feel of the element

I was personally (and selfishly) hoping for Daimon/Moriguchi pair but grateful for any new teams training together
Wishing Murakami/Moriguchi a successful partnership

surimi

Record Breaker
This Nikkan Sports article confirmed Murakami and Moriguchi's partnership
It mentions they were having difficulties with the death spiral so Haruna practiced with Ryuichi and Sumitada with Riku to get a good feel of the element

I was personally (and selfishly) hoping for Daimon/Moriguchi pair but grateful for any new teams training together
Wishing Murakami/Moriguchi a successful partnership

And do you know if Moriguchi still plans to continue his singles career?