Alexandra Trusova leaves Eteri Tutberidze

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This was the classic case of “I quit, no you’re fired.”

Eteri has gotten everything out of her and Trusova has gone as far as she can with Eteri. Like any business relationship that has run its course.

So nobody is really missing the other.

The first thing that popped into my mind is that this is a huge opportunity for Maiia to step up and take that spot.

Fried

Final Flight
This was the classic case of “I quit, no you’re fired.”

Eteri has gotten everything out of her and Trusova has gone as far as she can with Eteri. Like any business relationship that has run its course.

So nobody is really missing the other.
That would mean TT throwing shit at Trusova through his mouthpiece named Zheleznikov just because it's an old tradition? And that, although TT continues to earn money from Sasha without any action on his part?

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
According to some reports, Sasha started training in the Sokolovskaya group. She really likes it there. In addition, back problems may not be so terrible. Also, it may very well be that she is preparing new programs. I wonder who will be the choreographer for Sasha? Either way, this is great news.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That would mean TT throwing shit at Trusova through his mouthpiece named Zheleznikov just because it's an old tradition? And that, although TT continues to earn money from Sasha without any action on his part?
Don’t know what has, or hasn’t been said, but TT should just look ahead. TT did just great when Trusova left the first time, why should this time be any different?

And Trusova thinks she found a better option. That’s her right to seek greener pastures.

Maybe she will find what she is looking for on this, her third recent coaching change.

So just let bygones be bygones.

Trusova is headstrong and a bit (well more than a bit) stubborn. Probably not the ideal TT girl.

Now she has a chance to show on ice if she can be better under what she considers a better training environment. Trusova might end up being proven right. Time will reveal all.

As for who is profiting off of whom, that I couldn’t care less about.

I watch skating for the skating, not to follow the financial contracts between the coach and the skater/parent/guardians.

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Don’t know what has, or hasn’t been said, but TT should just look ahead. TT did just great when Trusova left the first time, why should this time be any different?

And Trusova thinks she found a better option. That’s her right to seek greener pastures.

Maybe she will find what she is looking for on this, her third recent coaching change.

So just let bygones be bygones.

Trusova is headstrong and a bit (well more than a bit) stubborn. Probably not the ideal TT girl.

Now she has a chance to show on ice if she can be better under what she considers a better training environment. Trusova might end up being proven right. Time will reveal all.

As for who is profiting off of whom, that I couldn’t care less about.

I watch skating for the skating, not to follow the financial contracts between the coach and the skater/parent/guardians.

I wonder if this along with Kostornaia's departure 2.0 will stop Eteri from taking back students that left and then want to come back...I mean it makes little sense. Eteri doesn't come off as someone that changes her ways (and given her success she has little reason to at this point), if a student leaves once for what they perceive greener pastures i would just say wish you all the best but once you leave there is no coming back. In this instance her team who has a boatload students wasted their time on at least 1 program for Trusova, Trusova may or may not now have to learn at least 1 new program.

amc987

On the Ice
I wonder if this along with Kostornaia's departure 2.0 will stop Eteri from taking back students that left and then want to come back...I mean it makes little sense. Eteri doesn't come off as someone that changes her ways (and given her success she has little reason to at this point), if a student leaves once for what they perceive greener pastures i would just say wish you all the best but once you leave there is no coming back. In this instance her team who has a boatload students wasted their time on at least 1 program for Trusova, Trusova may or may not now have to learn at least 1 new program.

I doubt it. I think Eteri mostly cares about clout - seeming like she's the force behind the success of many different skaters. She doesn't seem to care much about any individual skater beyond that skater's ability to enhance Eteri's reputation through their results. And she's more than willing to discard skaters who don't perform (e.g., Kostornaia post-2019-20; Lipnitskaya post-2014; Medvedeva post-2018). I know some of those were presented as the skater wanting a different approach/voice, but all of them also fell out of favor with Eteri around when they were seeking other coaching. Even the skaters ones whose relationships with Eteri endure, have periods when they're in favor and periods when they aren't (compare Eteri's reaction to Shcherbakova in 2019-20, to her reaction to Shcherbakova in 2021 and before she won the Olympics).

I think Eteri got exactly what she wanted out of Trusova: the publicity and acclaim that come with having an Olympic silver medalist who attempted 5 quads in the free skate. I'm sure she'd make the same choice again if she thought doing so suited her.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Meaning "TT throws shit when Trusova left the first time, why should this time be any different?"? 🤔
I’m not ET. So I can’t answer that.

No lie, I have no idea what she said about Trusova. But if ET buried her on the way out, I’m not losing sleep over it or anything.

Not the way I would have personally done it, but then again, I don’t run the premier skating club for ladies, probably the best one ever seen.

Fried

Final Flight
Hmmm any links i don't remember anything coming out about her first departure
Yes, the lack of a reminder in the right place is very appreciated by many people. But I think it's almost exaggerated here, because the "knife in the back" became a kind of meme.
Similar to now picture of Zheleznikov and Gleikhengauz sitting shoulder to shoulder at the rink at night putting together programs for Sasha while this ungrateful girl twists her pigtail and just walks away. 😄

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She is too nice sometimes. It is what it is. Unlike popular opinion, she does have emotions too. Haha

Last edited:

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I doubt it. I think Eteri mostly cares about clout - seeming like she's the force behind the success of many different skaters. She doesn't seem to care much about any individual skater beyond that skater's ability to enhance Eteri's reputation through their results. And she's more than willing to discard skaters who don't perform (e.g., Kostornaia post-2019-20; Lipnitskaya post-2014; Medvedeva post-2018). I know some of those were presented as the skater wanting a different approach/voice, but all of them also fell out of favor with Eteri around when they were seeking other coaching. Even the skaters ones whose relationships with Eteri endure, have periods when they're in favor and periods when they aren't (compare Eteri's reaction to Shcherbakova in 2019-20, to her reaction to Shcherbakova in 2021 and before she won the Olympics).

I think Eteri got exactly what she wanted out of Trusova: the publicity and acclaim that come with having an Olympic silver medalist who attempted 5 quads in the free skate. I'm sure she'd make the same choice again if she thought doing so suited her.
Not to totally derail the topic, but does your boss keep you employed if you stop being good at your job?

What you just described is pro sports: A manager will transfer a footballer if he can get a better one in his place.

I know people like “loyalty” but no spot is safe. Pro sports is cutthroat. Eteri didn’t get to be in the position she is in by settling for second best. No great coach does that.

Trusova didn’t want to be there anymore as well. Why keep her around anyway? Let her go. The move may end up revitalizing her.

Don’t think either side is the bad guy here. Eteri gets a spot opened up and Trusova can go and be the grizzled veteran offering up wisdom at another rink.

Amei

Record Breaker
Yes, the lack of a reminder in the right place is very appreciated by many people. But I think it's almost exaggerated here, because the "knife in the back" became a kind of meme.
Similar to now picture of Zheleznikov and Gleikhengauz sitting shoulder to shoulder at the rink at night putting together programs for Sasha while this ungrateful girl twists her pigtail and just walks away. 😄
Well, whatever. So if your sentence should have a different meaning, then which one? I can't decipher the meaning then.
Where is this supposed picture of Daniil you mention? Link?

Fried

Final Flight
Where is this supposed picture of Daniil you mention? Link?

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This article is hilarious. Can’t stop laughing.

amc987

On the Ice
Not to totally derail the topic, but does your boss keep you employed if you stop being good at your job?

What you just described is pro sports: A manager will transfer a footballer if he can get a better one in his place.

I know people like “loyalty” but no spot is safe. Pro sports is cutthroat. Eteri didn’t get to be in the position she is in by settling for second best. No great coach does that.

Trusova didn’t want to be there anymore as well. Why keep her around anyway? Let her go. The move may end up revitalizing her.

Don’t think either side is the bad guy here. Eteri gets a spot opened up and Trusova can go and be the grizzled veteran offering up wisdom at another rink.

What a ridiculous analogy! Does being in the top 5 or 10 skaters in the world mean that, say, Medvedeva was bad at her job post-2018? I'd very much hope that, assuming I was willing to continue working hard, the "boss" who had trained me since I was a pre-teen and who had burnished their reputation with my incredible success would keep me on under these circumstances.

And your point about "[n]o great coach" "settling for second best," is also misguided. There are plenty of elite coaches who don't drop their skaters when those skaters have an off season or two. For example, as far as I know, Orser never considered dropping Yuzu when he went from double Olympic champion to someone who often placed lower on the podium to Nathan Chen, or parting with Javier Fernandez when he lost ground after 2016. Nor do I remember Rafael Arutunian dropping Michelle Kwan after 2004. And Nobuo Sato didn't dismiss Mao Asada despite her various ups and downs.

The lack of loyalty isn't a cutthroat pro sports thing. It's an Eteri thing. And she views the skaters as dispensable.

Caliban

On the Ice
Orser
Rafael Arutunian
Nobuo Sato
Why would they drop skaters if those skaters PAYING to them? They dont care about their results, because they got money from them anyway.
If those coaches were employed by their feds as Eteri, and if those coaches bear personal responsibility for medals for Fed as Eteri, they drop those skaters as soon, as they stop showing results.

alexocfp

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a ridiculous analogy! Does being in the top 5 or 10 skaters in the world mean that, say, Medvedeva was bad at her job post-2018? I'd very much hope that, assuming I was willing to continue working hard, the "boss" who had trained me since I was a pre-teen and who had burnished their reputation with my incredible success would keep me on under these circumstances.

And your point about "[n]o great coach" "settling for second best," is also misguided. There are plenty of elite coaches who don't drop their skaters when those skaters have an off season or two. For example, as far as I know, Orser never considered dropping Yuzu when he went from double Olympic champion to someone who often placed lower on the podium to Nathan Chen, or parting with Javier Fernandez when he lost ground after 2016. Nor do I remember Rafael Arutunian dropping Michelle Kwan after 2004. And Nobuo Sato didn't dismiss Mao Asada despite her various ups and downs.

The lack of loyalty isn't a cutthroat pro sports thing. It's an Eteri thing. And she views the skaters as dispensable.
On the female side of things, Eteri is better than everyone you mentioned. It is no contest. They are super mediocre when you put their record, when combined, against hers.

The others never had the 2 best skaters in the word for like 10 years straight. And probably the best 3 skaters for 5 years straight.

Eteri has depth these others won’t have in their dreams.

And no offense to the guys, but female skating is the pinnacle of this sport.

Trusova left on her own accord in any case.

Fried

Final Flight
Why would they drop skaters if those skaters PAYING to them? They dont care about their results, because they got money from them anyway.
If those coaches were employed by their feds as Eteri, and if those coaches bear personal responsibility for medals for Fed as Eteri, they drop those skaters as soon, as they stop showing results.
Congratulations! You have added another to the multiple whitewash programs for Eteris Coat. 👍🏻

Status
Not open for further replies.