2023 Four Continents Women's Short Program | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2023 Four Continents Women's Short Program

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Opinion about Isabeau, yes her toe jumps are terrible. But, she is special. Satoko had terrible jumps but wonderful attention to detail and I always loved her skating. I'll also love Isabeau's skating because good programs and attention to detail are rare.
Agree on Isabeau. She has great presence on the ice and is able to create a mood in which you can't take your eyes off her. Her jumps need a lot of work, but she has that special something the other girls don't quite have.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd wait till after Worlds to say that - numbers are at least a little down even there.
If I were going to a figure skating competition where I could not clap or cheer I’d save my money and stay home until I could do so.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
If I were going to a figure skating competition where I could not clap or cheer I’d save my money and stay home until I could do so.
The official rule on cheering has apparently been rescinded, though I admit I do not know if JSF will allow it at Worlds.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The official rule on cheering has apparently been rescinded, though I admit I do not know if JSF will allow it at Worlds.

Of course they should do what they want. I’m just saying my money and myself would be on my couch.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of course they should do what they want. I’m just saying my money and myself would be on my couch.

Which is fair enough. And to be honest, I don't think the ban on cheering is what has affected the numbers, but people in Japan make up their own minds.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Catching up with the women.

4CC is the contest that throws away a LOT of World Standing points to whoever shows up. This is no exception. Given that all will go through to the Free skate means a lot of WS points is to be had just to be here.

That said, the last two groups were kinda good (with a few exceptions). I really liked Chaeyeon Kim. I hope she and her teammates sweep the podium. It's unlikely though as they are in the US.

rain

Record Breaker
Yelim Kim in this program is just magic. The best choreographed women's program I've see in years and she performs it with such maturity and sensitivity. Thrilled to see her so deservedly in first.

Sad to see Maddie continue to struggle, though this was an improvement. You can tell with her it's all a mental game. My two cents as a total non-professional: she looks like she's skating scared, rather than hungry. She used to skate just full out, throw it out there. Now it's like she's protecting something, skating not to lose. She needs to get that freedom back. Easy to say, I know, hard to do.

And thrilled for Amber Glenn who has become one of my favourites.

lileychristie

Lee-lay
Medalist
Country
Australia
Opinion about Isabeau, yes her toe jumps are terrible. But, she is special. Satoko had terrible jumps but wonderful attention to detail and I always loved her skating. I'll also love Isabeau's skating because good programs and attention to detail are rare.

IMO, Satoko had terrible jumps technically, but at least her jumps still aesthetically looked better than Isabeau. Yes Satoko had heavy prerotations and chronic underrotations, but at least she didn't bend down or slow down significantly before her jumps. I love Isabeau's spins and attention to details too, but unfortunately looking at her jumps just ruin it for me. She does have consistency though, so good on her for that.

It is Mone who reminds me of Satoko, down to the multiple underrotations calls on her combo. But superb skating skills and top-notch sensitivity to music, which too often are not rewarded enough in their PCS.... Plus that last layback spin is very Satoko-esque hey ;)

Country
United-States
Thank you. Well, I think she’s focused on junior worlds anyway.
Yeah, I would assume her current plan is Junior Worlds, since her personal bests are both more than 2 points off of the tech minimums for Senior Worlds. But I would imagine that if by some chance she knocked it out of the park on both days and reached the senior tech minimums, she would change plans since that option would then be open. (Or maybe not - you're the one who knows her "real" parents, so you'd have a better idea than I would.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah, I would assume her current plan is Junior Worlds, since her personal bests are both more than 2 points off of the tech minimums for Senior Worlds. But I would imagine that if by some chance she knocked it out of the park on both days and reached the senior tech minimums, she would change plans since that option would then be open. (Or maybe not - you're the one who knows her "real" parents, so you'd have a better idea than I would.)
Oh I’m quite sure it would. Just meant that I don’t think she’s feeling a ton of pressure to make them.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Have many thoughts after watching, but have to get myself to sleep as it's past 1 AM and work awaits in few hours.
Have to say though - Jocelyn Hong and Haein Lee's dresses were FABULOUS. My absolutely favourite palette of colors. Now debating which one to choose to pay respects to in a form if flower crown...
And saw @CoyoteChris so much on the stream :), wondering if I saw any other GSer hehe
Behind and of course besides me