2023-24 Programs by Discipline | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Programs by Discipline

icewhite

Record Breaker
As someone who was actually alive and kicking (and dancing) adult in the 80s, can I say?

Bring on Michael Jackson, Madonna and all the others :dance3:

Take it from Auntie El, at least in the great city of Philadelphia, Michael Jackson and Madonna were not seen as safe, boring music in the actual 1980's. Which is the point, isn't it? Elton John would have been seen as more "safe".

Now, back to why can't they skate to my favorite music, part 43. Believe me, I'm not making fun, I do that all the time. What I would give for the Gap Band. But that's not based on the fact that it is "real" 80s, although it was, but that I like it:biggrin:

Even if you absolutely have to take MJ and Madonna, which I still don't understand, especially not MJ, there are other songs from them that get hardly/never get used.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
That would mean they actually actively looked for songs, though. I think the thought process goes more like "okay, 80s. which song from the 80s do you know?" "Thriller!" - "Done!" / "Okay, another one, we need one for a girl" "Like a virgin!" -"oh, not that one. another one" "Material girl" - "Yes, we take it".
In most situations, it does NOT work that way, but I'm not going into the process here.

icewhite

Record Breaker
In most situations, it does NOT work that way, but I'm not going into the process here.

I would be very interested in it, though. I see I am drifting far from the topic of this thread, but if you could open a new thread and talk about it a bit I would really appreciate it. Obviously I am just talking as a fan, I have read interviews about it, but I have no personal insight into the process itself, so that would be great. Of course my post was a joke, I am aware it doesn't work that way. But for instance I hardly know anything about fees. Please know that my posts have a tendency to come across rude when they are not meant to be that. I am just talking from the perspective of a fan with passionate views, but I am really interested to learn more.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I would be very interested in it, though. I see I am drifting far from the topic of this thread, but if you could open a new thread and talk about it a bit I would really appreciate it. Obviously I am just talking as a fan, I have read interviews about it, but I have no personal insight into the process itself, so that would be great. Of course my post was a joke, I am aware it doesn't work that way. But for instance I hardly know anything about fees. Please know that my posts have a tendency to come across rude when they are not meant to be that. I am just talking from the perspective of a fan with passionate views, but I am really interested to learn more.
I honestly will not go into a detailed process of how it's done and certainly not starting a thread about it. Some things are far too complicated to share as well as there are some things that need to stay within the sport and those who do so.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Even if you absolutely have to take MJ and Madonna, which I still don't understand, especially not MJ, there are other songs from them that get hardly/never get used.

Deep cuts are wonderful, but the more popular songs are usually easier to skate to.

Rohene Ward has given candid interviews on the choreo process, although of course for singles rather than dance so without the rhythm requirements. But Ro is pretty honest and does not do the "Oh we were all part of a creative process, kumbaya my Lord" in his interviews. And as someone who has felt outside the skating establishment his entire career, he doesn't care about keeping it "in house".

You can always start a new thread, that would be great! And if I can find the interviews, I will post.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i know some of you have their favourites and some of you lived that decade (i was born at the end of it btw) but can we agree that Michael Jackson and to a lesser extent Madonna (Madonna is rarely seen on ice and i keep wanting an 80s Madonna program :LOL: ) as a choice is a bit unimaginative? especially when everyone and their sisters has skated at least a MJ program in their career?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
let's not have any MJ, Madonna, Piazzolla and all tangos,John Lennon, Queen, Beatles, POTO or any ALW as a matter of fact, Rach 2, 3, bells of moscow, Beethoven Moonlight, Debussy, Clair de lune, Notre-Dame de Paris, Les Miz, Moulin Rouge, City of Stars, Star Wars, Hallelujah, 4 Seasons, Chopin anything, and so on...

I suggest skaters perform their steps, jumps and spins in silence, with microphones on the ice so we can hear the wonderful sound of their blades on the ice. Let the skaters do the music ! Let's create a new PCS category : sounding skills

:)

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
let's not have any MJ, Madonna, Piazzolla and all tangos,John Lennon, Queen, Beatles, POTO or any ALW as a matter of fact, Rach 2, 3, bells of moscow, Beethoven Moonlight, Debussy, Clair de lune, Notre-Dame de Paris, Les Miz, Moulin Rouge, City of Stars, Star Wars, Hallelujah, 4 Seasons, Chopin anything, and so on...

I suggest skaters perform their steps, jumps and spins in silence, with microphones on the ice so we can hear the wonderful sound of their blades on the ice. Let the skaters do the music ! Let's create a new PCS category : sounding skills

So many top skaters would get bad marks based on edge quality that you can hear if they were to do this! LOL

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I just had a thought.

How are the ISU defining "the 80's"?

Are they using the definition that a lot of people incorrectly use (1980 to 1989 inclusive), or are they using the correct definition (1981 to 1990 inclusive)?

Because if they are using the correct definition, I really want to see what somebody can do with this legendary song from 1990:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LagoycfdCA

And I am sure that @anonymoose_au for one would approve, as it is pretty much guaranteed that her favourite pattern would be used for at least one of the costumes.

:biggrin:

i know some of you have their favourites and some of you lived that decade (i was born at the end of it btw) but can we agree that Michael Jackson and to a lesser extent Madonna (Madonna is rarely seen on ice and i keep wanting an 80s Madonna program :LOL: ) as a choice is a bit unimaginative?

Madonna's "Vogue" was also from 1990. But, after Lilah and Lewis popularised it with their brilliant FD a few years ago, I think we're all vogued out now due to so many other skaters jumping on the bandwagon.

We got some "Frozen" programmes this season, which I fully approve of! I want to see more programmes done to it. (Don't worry, I realise that 1997 is far too late to qualify as the 80's).

especially when everyone and their sisters has skated at least a MJ program in their career?

You mentioning sisters in that sentence just gave me an idea - what about Janet Jackson?

That said, I can't think of any Janet Jackson songs from the 80's that I know. The only Janet Jackson songs that I can recognise are from much later.

CaroLiza_fan

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just had a thought.

Are they using the definition that a lot of people incorrectly use (1980 to 1989 inclusive), or are they using the correct definition (1981 to 1990 inclusive)?

Because if they are using the correct definition, I really want to see what somebody can do with this legendary song from 1990:

And I am sure that @anonymoose_au for one would approve, as it is pretty much guaranteed that her favourite pattern would be used for at least one of the costumes.

Madonna's "Vogue" was also from 1990. But, after Lilah and Lewis popularised it with their brilliant FD a few years ago, I think we're all vogued out now due to so many other skaters jumping on the bandwagon.

We got some "Frozen" programmes this season, which I fully approve of! I want to see more programmes done to it. (Don't worry, I realise that 1997 is far too late to qualify as the 80's).

You mentioning sisters in that sentence just gave me an idea - what about Janet Jackson?

That said, I can't think of any Janet Jackson songs from the 80's that I know. The only Janet Jackson songs that I can recognise are from much later.

CaroLiza_fan
Her Control Album from 1986 had some of her best and most recognizable charted songs. "Control", "What Have you Done for Me Lately?", "Pleasure Principle", "Nasty", "Let's Wait Awhile", "When I think of you."

icewhite

Record Breaker

There are lots of original choices. I do not demand that it has never been skated to, ever, just not something that top skaters use at least two times a season. It's obviously not impossible. I don't deny that it might require a lot more work.
From recent past seasons: Rizzo, Maneskin; Kagiyama, Vocussion; Hanyu's Japanese programs; Aymoz, Horns; Trusova, Cruella; Semenenko's programs of the last two seasons; Kihira, Breakfast in Baghdad; Petrokina's programs; Brown, The room where it happened; Kondratiuk's programs; Kolyada, Tango in a madhouse; Economides, Cardi B; Shmuratko's programs this year; Sakamoto's "woman" program... I mostly watch men's... anyway, no denying in my opinion that you can absolutely come up with music and programs that have not been done a thousand times and they can become great programs.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Adios Nonino
well i know Nik can rock a tango

i have a better solution, everybody should skate to metal and classic rock because i like them :LOL:
I just had a thought.

CaroLiza_fan
i said 80s madonna, i meant like a virgin (skated by adults of course), true blue, like a prayer, holydays