2023-24 Programs by Discipline | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Programs by Discipline

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
i have a better solution, everybody should skate to metal and classic rock because i like them :LOL:

I second that! :points:

i said 80s madonna, i meant like a virgin (skated by adults of course), true blue, like a prayer, holydays

I know. But, since she was being talked about, I thought I would throw in that I like that "Frozen" has finally been discovered.

Hey, I just had a thought. What about a medley of "Papa, Don't Preach" and "Papa, Can you Hear Me"... :devil:

CaroLiza_fan

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm not surprised to hear what Memola's picks are. His programs have been of the good old proven genres so far, and it looks like it could be his comfort zone. I hope he branches out, eventually.
I'm not against a tango as much as I don't understand why folk keep skating to the same handful of tangos - Adios, Tango Amore, Libertango etc.

Just popping back in to add that I just went onto @NoNameFace's Twitter profile, and saw a post saying that Tina Turner has died.

I'm heartbroken. 💔

I am a massive fan, and she had some really great songs in the 80's, so please somebody skate to her!

CaroLiza_fan
I was also sorry to read that. I wonder about the skateability of her smash hits, and it'll be interesting to see if someone picks her music.

There are lots of original choices. I do not demand that it has never been skated to, ever, just not something that top skaters use at least two times a season. It's obviously not impossible. I don't deny that it might require a lot more work.
From recent past seasons: Rizzo, Maneskin; Kagiyama, Vocussion; Hanyu's Japanese programs; Aymoz, Horns; Trusova, Cruella; Semenenko's programs of the last two seasons; Kihira, Breakfast in Baghdad; Petrokina's programs; Brown, The room where it happened; Kondratiuk's programs; Kolyada, Tango in a madhouse; Economides, Cardi B; Shmuratko's programs this year; Sakamoto's "woman" program... I mostly watch men's... anyway, no denying in my opinion that you can absolutely come up with music and programs that have not been done a thousand times and they can become great programs.

That would be a good idea for a positive thread - 'Nods to Rare and Memorable Programs' or something ;) I'll be adding Brown's Sinnerman, Kolyada's White Crow, Jin's Spiderman, Yamamoto's Nobunaga (can't omit him, naturally), Kihira's Beautiful Storm, Taljegard's programs from the recent seasons, and Yokoi's Tom&Jerry and 10 Dark Women... and many others. ^ ^

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm not surprised to hear what Memola's picks are. His programs have been of the good old proven genres so far, and it looks like it could be his comfort zone. I hope he branches out, eventually.
I'm not against a tango as much as I don't understand why folk keep skating to the same handful of tangos - Adios, Tango Amore, Libertango etc.

I was also sorry to read that. I wonder about the skateability of her smash hits, and it'll be interesting to see if someone picks her music.
One of her smash hits is right here being skated to. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx_2hCmVa5w

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Her Control Album from 1986 had some of her best and most recognizable charted songs. "Control", "What Have you Done for Me Lately?", "Pleasure Principle", "Nasty", "Let's Wait Awhile", "When I think of you."

Just listened to all of them, and it turns out that I do know "Nasty" and "Let's Wait Awhile". But I hadn't heard any of the others before.

Can't get over how much she looks like Michael in the "What Have you Done for Me Lately?" video! 😲

One of her smash hits is right here being skated to. ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx_2hCmVa5w

"Proud Mary" is one of my favourite songs.

I was so impressed with how the feeling of the song was not lost despite it having to be edited down to fit the time requirements.

CaroLiza_fan

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
There are lots of original choices. I do not demand that it has never been skated to, ever, just not something that top skaters use at least two times a season. It's obviously not impossible. I don't deny that it might require a lot more work.
From recent past seasons: Rizzo, Maneskin; Kagiyama, Vocussion; Hanyu's Japanese programs; Aymoz, Horns; Trusova, Cruella; Semenenko's programs of the last two seasons; Kihira, Breakfast in Baghdad; Petrokina's programs; Brown, The room where it happened; Kondratiuk's programs; Kolyada, Tango in a madhouse; Economides, Cardi B; Shmuratko's programs this year; Sakamoto's "woman" program... I mostly watch men's... anyway, no denying in my opinion that you can absolutely come up with music and programs that have not been done a thousand times and they can become great programs.
:) if everyone were original, we wouldn't notice their originality anymore. I am not a skater... but in my field what matters is that you perform the music you enjoy or that you value what it will teach you. That's the reason why so many pianists play the same few Beethoven sonatas when there are 32 to select from... If a skater is going to work on a program for a full season, sometimes two, they better enjoy it. I dislike 90% of the music selected by skaters... still, I can appreciate their program if they skate it well and with enthusiasm just like I will appreciate listening to a young pianist playing Moonlight Sonata, when done well and with enthusiasm.
The real issue for me is exactly when people try to be original and select music that just won't work.

yesterday

Record Breaker
You forgot to mention cartwheels :jaw: I mean basically they could just skate to Pirates and throw in a tons of carthweels as if they were Jack Sparrow

giphy.gif

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Looks like Sofia Val & Asaf Kazimov ESP
plan on using the
RD: Top Gun 1 soundtrack.

Can't say I recognised the name of the song Sofía mentioned (I haven't seen the "Top Gun" films), so I looked it up.

Gigi D'Agostino - "I'll Fly With You"

I have to be honest, I got bored with it very quickly (within the first 20 seconds), and in the end switched it off when it reached the break in the vocals at the 3 minute mark.

Maybe this is the sort of music that the kids of today are into, but I'm not. Then again, I've always found it hard to relate to Sofía anyway, based on the things she posts on Instagram. And I don't think it's just because I'm male and she's female. I think it is a generational thing.

I really can't imagine this music as an Ice Dance programme (or any type of skating programme! :drama: ). But, hey, what do I know?

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The Instagram post says they are using the Top Gun soundtrack as their RD. Since the rules are for 1980's songs, neither "I'll Fly With You" nor the Top Gun: Maverick songs can be used.

Possibilities from the Top Gun 1 soundtrack:

The most likely songs would be Danger Zone,

You Take My Breath Away,

and

Top Gun Anthem for transitional bits

No.TitleWriter(s)PerformerLength
1."Danger Zone"Kenny Loggins3:36
2."Mighty Wings"Cheap Trick3:51
3."Playing with the Boys"Kenny Loggins3:59
4."Lead Me On"
  • Moroder
  • Whitlock
Teena Marie3:47
5."Take My Breath Away"
  • Moroder
  • Whitlock
Berlin4:11
Side two
1."Hot Summer Nights"Miami Sound Machine3:38
2."Heaven in Your Eyes"Loverboy4:04
3."Through the Fire"
  • Moroder
  • Whitlock
Larry Greene3:46
4."Destination Unknown"Marietta3:48
5."Top Gun Anthem"Faltermeyer

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The Instagram post says they are using the Top Gun soundtrack as their RD. Since the rules are for 1980's songs, neither "I'll Fly With You" nor the Top Gun: Maverick songs can be used.

Oopsie! I was caught out. :slink:

Sofía probably said that to be witty, not realising it was the title of a song.

But, I should have known better. I was stupid, going straight to a YouTube search for what she wrote, rather than actually checking what was on the soundtrack first. (And I didn't think to check the release date either),

Well, that's a relief. I really didn't like that song. But, my goodness, what a great selection of songs there are on the soundtrack! 😲

Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" was one of the first songs that I suggested could make a good Ice Dance programme in the other thread. And "Danger Zone" is another great song that I love. I'm kicking myself that I hadn't included it in that post as well, as I think it would work well too.

The "Anthem" could be good too but, depending how it is edited to fit the time requirements, it could end up a bit repetitive.

I'm really going to have to catch that film some time. Because if it is as good as the songs on it's soundtrack, it will be great!

CaroLiza_fan

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States

Kyrylo Marsak UKR
SP: "Pale Yellow" by Woodkid
FS:
choreo by Monica Lindfors

Yujae Kim KOR
SP: Flamenco; classical guitar
FS: Avatar soundtrack; choreo by Yeaji Shin

Sonja Hilmer USA
SP:
FS: Themes from Avatar: The Last Airbender [animated TV series] by The Track Team and Samuel KimS; choreo by Sonja Hilmer

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Possibilities from the Top Gun 1 soundtrack:

The most likely songs would be Danger Zone,

You Take My Breath Away,

and

Top Gun Anthem for transitional bits

1."Danger Zone"Kenny Loggins3:36
2."Mighty Wings"Cheap Trick3:51
3."Playing with the Boys"Kenny Loggins3:59
4."Lead Me On"
  • Moroder
  • Whitlock
Teena Marie3:47
5."Take My Breath Away"
  • Moroder
  • Whitlock
Berlin4:11
Side two
1."Hot Summer Nights"Miami Sound Machine3:38
2."Heaven in Your Eyes"Loverboy4:04
3."Through the Fire"
  • Moroder
  • Whitlock
Larry Greene3:46
4."Destination Unknown"Marietta3:48
5."Top Gun Anthem"Faltermeyer

Oopsie! I was caught out. :slink:

Sofía probably said that to be witty, not realising it was the title of a song.

But, I should have known better. I was stupid, going straight to a YouTube search for what she wrote, rather than actually checking what was on the soundtrack first. (And I didn't think to check the release date either),

Well, that's a relief. I really didn't like that song. But, my goodness, what a great selection of songs there are on the soundtrack! 😲

Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" was one of the first songs that I suggested could make a good Ice Dance programme in the other thread. And "Danger Zone" is another great song that I love. I'm kicking myself that I hadn't included it in that post as well, as I think it would work well too.

The "Anthem" could be good too but, depending how it is edited to fit the time requirements, it could end up a bit repetitive.

I'm really going to have to catch that film some time. Because if it is as good as the songs on it's soundtrack, it will be great!

CaroLiza_fan
If we're going to get 500 Top Gun soundtrack RD's this season (dreading this), then please someone use "Heaven in Your Eyes" by Loverboy. It would be perfect!