OutofShapeWorthlessLoser: Gracie Gold | Page 4 | Golden Skate

OutofShapeWorthlessLoser: Gracie Gold

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Only about halfway through the audiobook and I needed to take a break. Hearing first hand about her experience being raped and having her sister in the next room was heartbreaking.

The next few chapters look to be the hardest to get through. Even if you're not triggered by her trauma, it's definitely a lot to take in.

I'll post more when I'm finished.
It’s difficult. Took me 3 days.

noskates

Record Breaker
As far as hype, I think the USFSA was looking for the next Michelle Kwan and Gracie was the heir apparent. None of the other women skaters had the charisma, the looks, or the assumed potential. And I agree, the basis of the majority of Gracie's "issues" were soundly based with her parents - her Mom particularly trying to find happiness vicariously through her daughter. Yes Frank should have acknowledged that there was trouble in paradise but he had his own demons to deal with following his experience with Christopher Bowman. And frankly, Carly could have been more intuitive and put that "twin sense" into play. The book is heavy, hard to read because you want to simultaneously reach out and slap people and hug Gracie. But again I do hope reading it gives courage to other young ladies and men who are struggling with mental health issues and feelings of a lack of self worth.

macy

Record Breaker
Then we get into the J Coughlin stuff. He invited her to help coach the Road 2 Gold seminars. He was in the early stages of Parkinson’s (something else I didn’t know). It runs on both sides of his family. Then the accusations and suspension came. She says she was in love with him. He may have been her soulmate. She was traveling and lost her cosmetic bag. She said had she still had Covergirl as a sponsor it would have been no big deal. But she couldn’t replace it so Coughlin got a bunch of people to donate makeup and overnighted it to her. He left her a suicide letter. She made it into art and it hangs in her apartment. She’s struggling with - if he did these things she was in love with a monster and could it happen again. If he didn’t a person she loved is still dead.
i couldn't imagine how difficult this must have been for Gracie to attempt to reconcile all this as a close friend to John and how kind he was to her. i can't imagine it made any sense to her whatsoever as what came out was not the person she knew, and then he dies and leaves her a letter...how absolutely awful it must have been to try and put the pieces together. my heart truly goes out to her, i wish her nothing but happiness and peace after all she's been through.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Only about halfway through the audiobook and I needed to take a break. Hearing first hand about her experience being raped and having her sister in the next room was heartbreaking.

The next few chapters look to be the hardest to get through. Even if you're not triggered by her trauma, it's definitely a lot to take in.

I'll post more when I'm finished.
I feel your pain....I had to give up on watching Ken Burn's "The Vietnam War". Having lived it...and having so many friends effected by it....it was too much to emotionally handle....There is very sad history and then there is very sad history that involves people you know and people you admire...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I tend to look at things from all sorts of angles. First, how brave and strong for Gracie to write this book and relive some personal and very challenging and upsetting times in her life. One cannot imagine the emotional impact of reliving her trauma. One cannot judge her motivation for this book - therapy, revenge, to help others, some attention seeking, sometimes it helps to get it out, When writing an autobiography it is natural that the subject might come off as a hero, a victim, a survivor things that the American public love. I feel for Gracie and will always believe and conclude she is one of the US finest produced skaters. Her power during her hey days and presence was stunning. I am not sure Frank, her sister and parents should be seen at the bad guys or huge contributors to her unhappiness and challenges. They are a big reason for her skating success and any interest in this book I am not sure how writing this book helps her family relationship. I admit I always wondered if she liked the limelight as I noted she was always doing something usually near big competitions that garnered media attention - a book , a new job, a comeback etc. I hope she leave competitive skating on her terms and at peace. i hope she can heal and move on. She is an Olympic medallist and national champion -quite an accomplishment.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I tend to look at things from all sorts of angles. First, how brave and strong for Gracie to write this book and relive some personal and very challenging and upsetting times in her life. One cannot imagine the emotional impact of reliving her trauma. One cannot judge her motivation for this book - therapy, revenge, to help others, some attention seeking, sometimes it helps to get it out, When writing an autobiography it is natural that the subject might come off as a hero, a victim, a survivor things that the American public love. I feel for Gracie and will always believe and conclude she is one of the US finest produced skaters. Her power during her hey days and presence was stunning. I am not sure Frank, her sister and parents should be seen at the bad guys or huge contributors to her unhappiness and challenges. They are a big reason for her skating success and any interest in this book I am not sure how writing this book helps her family relationship. I admit I always wondered if she liked the limelight as I noted she was always doing something usually near big competitions that garnered media attention - a book , a new job, a comeback etc. I hope she leave competitive skating on her terms and at peace. i hope she can heal and move on. She is an Olympic medallist and national champion -quite an accomplishment.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I always thought, and still do, that Gracie had some of the most beautiful and becoming skating costumes of any of the women skaters. And that includes her recent costumes.
Gracie wasn't one of the names that popped up in lists of most beautiful/memorable costumes, but they were almost all lovely and still are but now in a different style: the only one I can think of that was bad was the 2018 Rostelecom one, but that was almost symbolic of her plight at the time so... the thing is, we now know that those lovely ice princess ones weren't her.

I admit I always wondered if she liked the limelight as I noted she was always doing something usually near big competitions that garnered media attention - a book , a new job, a comeback etc.
Errr, two things, firstly yes they pretty much all can be said to like the limelight, no one goes in for a sport where you perform on ice by yourself in front of all those people if they don't, even those who keep some private side very private. Secondly of course she was doing most promotional work near competitions, when the impact should be greatest, it only makes sense. Shoma and Kaori and Kazuki and the Russian girls do, Nathan Chen I believe did or does and Ilia will if he has sponsors, even our reclusive Yuzuru did when competing and still does between and before shows. A lot of the actual work for the promotions would be completed earlier remember but they have to sell it, and the best time to do that is when people can go and watch them on ice. Even if she doesn't compete, linking her new thing in people's minds with skating that they can then see is good pr.

The question is, whether the 'extracurriculars' ever got in the way of her performances and I suspect they were way down the list there.

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thought of Gracie tonight and her comments about T and J being bullies....I was watching the ladies at four conts and they bullied the heck out of Wi for not being connected to her music...its ok to make a comment that you wished she was...but they hammered her......then they ran down Mai Mihara for not having a good season and short program but failed to mention she is injured and in pain......I have had enough of bullies....

macy

Record Breaker
you really need to stop. NO ONE but Gracie has any right to say or question who played what role, who is responsible for what or how it affected her. if there's one thing i've already learned just a few pages into her book, it's that she firmly understands the good and bad are two sides of the same coin and nobody needs to point that out. this is incredibly, incredibly rude and dismissive no matter how you intend it to come off.

katymay

Medalist
Well, the Team USA fund paid the $50k for her stay in rehab. I keep meaning to send a donation. I know this because Brent told me. It was not USFS. I don't know about therapy after she left. She was very poor for some time. The only reason she was able to train is because Lisa Sears offered to let her train for free and Vincent, Pasha, Sasha offered to coach her for free. She said she lost her makeup on a plane and couldn't buy more. That doesn't scream able to afford therapy to me. (I'm only restating what she said in the book, that she was pretty much destitute, I think they let her coach 3 days a week to earn some money).
She made a great deal from endorsements and commercials where did that go? I don't mean to be snarky, just curious.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She made a great deal from endorsements and commercials where did that go? I don't mean to be snarky, just curious.

As I am sure you already know, skaters Gracie's level spend more than $100K, and some much more, on skating. Just skating, not living expenses.

Do you know what Gracie made from these endorsements and whether it covered her skating and living expenses?

theblade

On the Ice
Skating at Gracie's level is insanely expensive. To spend $100K on just skating-related expenses is common for the most in-demand coaches, choreographers, and off-ice experts.

You could still spend this much trying and not get her results, easily. This sport, along with equestrian, is a top expense sport.

When skaters try to boot strap it, it's really hard to get the same results. A lot of skaters try and it's hard to break through. Many don't.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We don't know exactly how much she made. I expect it went to 1. training expenses 2. competition expenses including choreography, dresses, travel, coaching fees, etc. 3. living expenses - rent, utilities, etc.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have not read Gracie's book, but I know that she has been through some incredibly tough times, and that she is very serious about being an agent of change. Gracie has my respect and my good wishes.

Yes, Gracie had skating-related expenses (understandably very high) plus living expenses.
OTOH, Gracie -- unlike many top U.S. women skaters -- once had a slew of mainstream sponsors, including: Nike, Visa, United Airlines, Cover Girl, Smucker's, Kose, Pandora ... and I'm probably forgetting others. (ETA: P&G, Airweave.)
Gracie also had skating-specific sponsors, such as John Wilson Blades and Edea -- which I believe would have alleviated some of her equipment costs.
Gracie toured with SOI in 2014, 2016, 2017 ... skated in Disson shows ... skated in The Ice in Japan ... and I feel sure that she skated in other shows that I don't remember off the top of my head.
Over at least five seasons, she earned prize money at many ISU events: GPs/GPF (ETA: and JGP); Worlds/Four Continents/Junior Worlds; World Team Trophy.
And she received USFS envelope funding -- which is not cushy, but it is something.

I certainly don't know the dollar amounts for any of the above.
ETA (on Feb 17):​
It would be possible to look up the amount of prize money from each ISU event, but I have not done so.
I did look up that in Apr 2016, Gracie earned $22,000 in prize money at Team Challenge Cup. ($7000 for the first day, plus $15,000 for the second day.)​

But based on what I have read about her book, my understanding is that after the misfortune of losing her make-up bag, she literally could not afford to buy new cosmetics?
I do not think it is clueless to wonder -- without being judgmental -- how Gracie's financial situation became precarious to that degree.
I am not picking on Gracie. I would also wonder if in a similar timeframe, it instead had been Ashley Wagner, who on a ballpark level would seem to have had similar expenses and similar sources of revenue.
(Maybe Gracie's lost make-up bag contained expensive high-end brands? But did she literally not have the money to buy drugstore brands -- such as Cover Girl -- to at least tide herself over? I am not being snarky; I am trying to grasp what her reality was.)

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Gracie wasn't one of the names that popped up in lists of most beautiful/memorable costumes, but they were almost all lovely and still are but now in a different style: the only one I can think of that was bad was the 2018 Rostelecom one, but that was almost symbolic of her plight at the time so... the thing is, we now know that those lovely ice princess ones weren't her.

Errr, two things, firstly yes they pretty much all can be said to like the limelight, no one goes in for a sport where you perform on ice by yourself in front of all those people if they don't, even those who keep some private side very private. Secondly of course she was doing most promotional work near competitions, when the impact should be greatest, it only makes sense. Shoma and Kaori and Kazuki and the Russian girls do, Nathan Chen I believe did or does and Ilia will if he has sponsors, even our reclusive Yuzuru did when competing and still does between and before shows. A lot of the actual work for the promotions would be completed earlier remember but they have to sell it, and the best time to do that is when people can go and watch them on ice. Even if she doesn't compete, linking her new thing in people's minds with skating that they can then see is good pr.

The question is, whether the 'extracurriculars' ever got in the way of her performances and I suspect they were way down the list there.
I am more worried it affected her healing. I get the venting may help But she hasn't been away even for say a year.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have not read Gracie's book, but I know that she has been through some incredibly tough times, and that she is very serious about being an agent of change. Gracie has my respect and my good wishes.

Yes, Gracie had skating-related expenses (understandably very high) plus living expenses.
OTOH, Gracie -- unlike many top U.S. women skaters -- once had a slew of mainstream sponsors, including: Nike, Visa, United Airlines, Cover Girl, Smucker's, Kose, Pandora ... and I'm probably forgetting others. (ETA: P&G, Airweave.)
Gracie also had skating-specific sponsors, such as John Wilson Blades and Edea -- which I believe would have alleviated some of her equipment costs.
Gracie toured with SOI in 2014, 2016, 2017 ... skated in Disson shows ... skated in The Ice in Japan ... and I feel sure that she skated in other shows that I don't remember off the top of my head.
Over at least five seasons, she earned prize money at many ISU events: GPs/GPF; Worlds/Four Continents/Junior Worlds; World Team Trophy.
And she received USFS envelope funding -- which is not cushy, but is something.

I certainly don't know the dollar amounts for any of the above.
But based on what I have read about her book, my understanding is that after the misfortune of losing her make-up bag, she literally could not afford to buy new cosmetics?
I do not think it is clueless to wonder -- without being judgmental -- how Gracie's financial situation became precarious to that degree.
I am not picking on Gracie. I would also wonder if in a similar timeframe, it instead had been Ashley Wagner, who on a ballpark level would seem to have had similar expenses and similar sources of revenue.
(Maybe Gracie's lost make-up bag contained expensive high-end brands? But did she literally not have the money to buy drugstore brands -- such as Cover Girl -- to at least tide herself over? I am not being snarky; I am trying to grasp what her reality was.)
After she got out of rehab, I would expect all those resources had flown the coop. I believe, possibly even before, when she did not go to the Olympics as expected.. (This is why I need an ebook, for easy reference). Certainly by the time she went into rehab they would have been gone, with no one, I don't believe (this is just a belief I hold, which could be wrong) expecting her to ever skate competitively again. She does have a few sponsors, Julep makeup, Muscletech protein drinks, a lingerie company, True&Co. I don't think she even has a boot or blade sponsor. She does her Road 2 Gold, also coaches students (but she is in CS rehabbing her hip and they are in Aston, I believe). Maybe she picked up some students in CS temporarily, I really do not know. She did skate in Ice Dreams in 2022. They did not have a tour in 2023, we will see what happens in 2024. She got C envelope money in 2022-23. Since she did not compete at all last season I doubt she will receive envelope money.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You could still spend this much trying and not get her results, easily. This sport, along with equestrian, is a top expense sport.
And these are the 2 sports I want to do.🤣🤣🤣

Gracie wanted to play hockey, but her mother would not allow it because she was afraid Gracie would beat up on the boys.
Carly did equestrian for awhile before she started skating. I believe she now plays hockey recreationally.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
After she got out of rehab, I would expect all those resources had flown the coop. I believe, possibly even before, when she did not go to the Olympics as expected.. ... Certainly by the time she went into rehab they would have been gone, with no one, I don't believe (this is just a belief I hold, which could be wrong) expecting her to ever skate competitively again. ...

Where the money went is just not addressed in her book and I doubt we will ever know.

Yes, I was not suggesting that Gracie's corporate sponsorships still were active after her inpatient treatment. 👍
I of course am pleased that the Team USA fund paid the $50,000 for her inpatient treatment.

I was just sayin' that it is not unreasonable or mean-spirited to wonder whether she had any kind of nest egg from the peak years of her earning power that would have helped when her earning power plummeted.
I too doubt that we will ever know. If Gracie never sheds any light, that is her prerogative.

... She does have a few sponsors, Julep makeup, Muscletech protein drinks, a lingerie company, True&Co. I don't think she even has a boot or blade sponsor. She does her Road 2 Gold, also coaches students (but she is in CS rehabbing her hip and they are in Aston, I believe). Maybe she picked up some students in CS temporarily, I really do not know. She did skate in Ice Dreams in 2022. They did not have a tour in 2023, we will see what happens in 2024. She got C envelope money in 2022-23. Since she did not compete at all last season I doubt she will receive envelope money. ...

As for Gracie at present, I hope that she received a nice advance for the book project.
And that the future holds royalties for her from strong book sales.
(I am not/not/not saying that money was her primary motivation for writing the book. But whatever money comes from the book does not hurt.)

Last edited: