Lipnitskaya vs Kim: What will happen in the individual competition? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya vs Kim: What will happen in the individual competition?

andyjo24

Medalist
the problem is Sotnikova is a headcase

She has been skating much more consistently in recent competitions, though. Her flip has especially gotten more consistent. She may surprise everyone at the individual competition. Her PCS scores even when not clean were higher than Julia's at Europeans, which indicates that if she does well, she will beat Julia.

andyjo24

Medalist
Wow. Just noticed that Julia's PCS went from 60 in the GPF series to 70 at Euros/ Olympics. Whoever commented that Yu-na, Mao, and Carolina were always gifted with high PCS scores should take Julia's huge jump in PCS (for pretty much the same performance at Skate Canada/ GPF) into consideration...

andyjo24

Medalist
Does anyone know if the judges for the team competition will be the same for the individual? I'm not sure, but I think I've heard that there will be US, Canadian, Korean, Japanese judges.... That might change the scoring for Julia.

Manitou

Medalist
But i think she will appeal the most to the common crowd, Because of her age, Cheeks and exceptional spins

Yes, I am the "common crowd" and I don't give crap about snot-nosed snobs, and to me Yulia is the reason I am returning to watch figure skating after years of stagnation.
You are all nothing but complaining about how less and less popular the sport is and how much boost it needs in the media and public attention, and I am telling you: snotty and elitist attitude is NOT helping your cause.
People like Yulia is your hope and you should nourish that. She draws crowds, she appeals to wide public, she is bringing tears and emotions.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I am also getting tired of people criticizing Yulia for her lack of emotion in her LP....the girl in the red dress is DOOMED, read the story. I interpret her beginning and ending looks as her character looking in vain for her parents or other family.....and knowing she is next! That little face - no wonder people love her!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
the problem is Sotnikova is a headcase

A headcase who's the current Russian National Champion, and who has skated pretty consistently over the past few competitions.

Kim should still beat Julia, but given the insanely maxed out home ice PCS inflation (as mentioned, her PCS for a clean skate jumped from 60 at the GPF to 70 now), and given that the judges are giving Julia GOE like candy, Kim's advantage will be diminished and it will be much closer.

This being said, I wouldn't mind if Julia won over Kim. It's been a while since we had an Olympic ladies' champion with 7 triples.

TonyaHardlyEver

Rinkside
She went lights out at Europeans, Doing the 2a combo after the halfway and getting 138+
But then again, Both her lutzes there got -1's, If she has the same skate and the judges give her extra points for both she'll definitely be in the 140's

I still can't help but burst into laughter every time she looks back to the judges like a Holocaust victim in that red dress :laugh:

And i don't think Yu-na is going for 7 triples, So no 150 for her

Her double axel sucks! No way should she be getting +GOE for that thing.

TonyaHardlyEver

Rinkside
I predict an injury that will alter the final standings and the podium. I don't know why but I feel it. I can't help but feel this embedding doom. This Olympics is like no other. The Russians are so corrupt in their judging. There is this foreboding dirge over the whole event. I can't put my finger on it.

Julia is awesome. Her spins and flexibility are amazing. She just isn't polished yet and has poor technique.
Yuna is shrouded in mystery. Who knows what will happen.
Ashley and Suzuki are a non factor. Ashley will place top five if she is clean and there are mistakes from the others.
Mao is unpredicatable. I don't think she has it anymore.
Gracie will end up on the podium. Probably bronze.
Kostner will melt down as usual.

But anything can happen.

katymay

Medalist
Kanako and Polina will be top 5 and Kim will WD from the event. Could I have some of what you are smoking, that must be some really really strong stuff that gets you on an incredible high like you cant imagine.

I wouldn't underestimate Polina-her BV is fairly high, and rumor has it she has added even more jumps to the BV. Why not? She has nothing to lose, and everything to gain. As far as Kim? If I'm wrong I'll eat crow, or, as you say, smoke something. I'm all in favor of a little side bet here...because I see it as: 1)Yulia 2) Gracie 3)Adelina 4)Polina 5)Mao 5)Yuna

sweetskates1

Medalist
:cry: nooooooooo 1) Carolina Kostner with perfect programs 2) Mao Asada with minor mistake 3) Yuna Kim with fall 8) Julia with implosion caused by nerves on the big stage. 9)Polina - she is too young and no one cares.

I wouldn't underestimate Polina-her BV is fairly high, and rumor has it she has added even more jumps to the BV. Why not? She has nothing to lose, and everything to gain. As far as Kim? If I'm wrong I'll eat crow, or, as you say, smoke something. I'm all in favor of a little side bet here...because I see it as: 1)Yulia 2) Gracie 3)Adelina 4)Polina 5)Mao 5)Yuna

Robeye

Final Flight
There are a lot of posters lately who seem to have learned their Divination under Professor Trelawney. ;)

sweetskates1

Medalist
LOL Robeye! :cry: I think that FS fans are very suffering ones - we are so emotionally invested in these young artists and athletes we have to resort to potions, jinxes, sorcery, finger crossing, prayers and fasts to alleviate the tension. hahahahahaha

There seem to be a lot of posters lately who seem to have learned their Divination under Professor Trelawney. ;)

jehan215

On the Ice
Okay, I just have to say this. I do not like Lipnitskaya's jumps. Her position in the air is not good (i.e. double axel) and there is no distance in her jumps. Also, there's that whole controversy about wrong edges. Yes, figure skating is not all about jumps, but then again isn't that what the technical score is for? I've even read some articles where she responded to her wrong edge issues in a Russian interview quote, "Who does the lutz jump by textbook?". :bang: That said, I think that her spins are awesome (and looking very painful! lol), and that if Yuna and Mao exits the competing world after Sochi, Yulia may lead the figure skating world. However she needs to polish up on her technical elements and develop a higher level of sophistication and maturity in order to win more competitions in the future.

As for Yuna, I've learned to never underestimate her. Last year at 2013 Worlds, she managed to fly in and sweep up the gold even after two years off the ice. We haven’t seen much of her in the competing world this year, so I’m sure this seeing her next week at the Olympics will be a real treat!

I am HOPING that there won’t be another 2002 Salt Lake going on next week. If the judges are pressured in any way to inflate the scores of any skaters (whether Russian or not), it would go against everything the Olympics stand for – fair play, thus tarnishing the reputation it holds.

So my prediction for the podium is:
1) Yuna
2) Yulia
3) Mao/Gold

Robeye

Final Flight
Kanako and Polina will be top 5 and Kim will WD from the event. Could I have some of what you are smoking, that must be some really really strong stuff that gets you on an incredible high like you cant imagine.
Hey, hey, don't be greedy. Leave a toke or two for me. ;)

yuki90

On the Ice
Julia reminds me of Caroline Zhang. Zhang's spin was sensational like Julia and jumps are tiny with no height and distance.

Julia has wrong edge problem and she pre-rotates almost 270 dgree when she takes off the jump.

Julia can be a Olympic Champion at this time with crazy Russian Inflation.

After 2~3 years, Julia will grow up. Well, what happend to Caroline Zhang?

vegarin

On the Ice
Julia reminds me of Caroline Zhang. Zhang's spin was sensational like Julia and jumps are tiny with no height and distance.

Julia has wrong edge problem and she pre-rotates almost 210 dgree when she takes off the jump.

Julia can be a Olympic Champion at this time with crazy Russian Inflation.

After 2~3 years, Julia will grow up. Well, what happend to Caroline Zhang?

That's fair enough. (She also reminds me a little of Mirai, whose spins were sensational and looks fantastic on ice, but I can't recall much of her jumps.) But unlike Caroline, Julia peaked at the right time and she may win the gold over the ones who have been doing this, consistently, over the last ten years.

I'm feeling worse and worse for Mao. If only she was allowed to compete in 2006, born only a few weeks early, likely she'd have been more impressive and sensational than even Julia right now, but it didn't work out for her that way, because Yuna stepped up a big time after 2006, and the two of them had to work at it for four years until they finally got to duke it out in 2010. I don't care if I'm prejudiced against youngsters or not. I'm categorically against these youngsters getting the PCSs that are usually reserved for the top trio at their best when clearly, Mao and Carolina and Yuna are better skaters who came this far. Personally, I'd only accept her win if all the top three have really a bad day collectively and Julia does her very best. Then sure, she would've won fair and square, but if she scores better than a clean Yuna or Mao or Carolina, then no. That's just a no.