Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

ArgieFan

Rinkside
Even if Adelina truly believes she deservs the win (which I doubt), I see nothing wrong about it. People only believe and see what they want to. Plus she is only 17, and most likely she doesn't know how to speak her mind diplomatically.
I remember at 17 years old Yuna wise speak diplomatically. Always a lady.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
*IF* the shoe were on the other foot, and it was Yuna who won, and Adelina's fans and the Russian Fed were to launch a mass campaign to allege fraud, defacing Yuna's social media sites, sending death threats, internet mobilization claiming that Adelina skated better, then of course I would expect Yuna to do THE SAME when questioned by the Korean media, saying how her program was better than Adelina's, and delineate how she deserved the Gold, etc. :rolleye: And of course I would also likely opine that Adelina and her fans are sore losers by making allegations without proof!

If there's evidence and proof of fraud, then by all means submit them to the appropriate authorities.

Strange how you completely lack the ability to place yourselves in the shoes of others.

As a fan of Yuna because of her manners, I dare say that this is def not true. Yuna would probably say "I skated well so I have no regrets." rather than scrutinizing her competitor's program like Adelina did to defend herself.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I remember at 17 years old Yuna wise speak diplomatically. Always a lady.
Doesn't mean all the skaters have to act like Yuna. People have different personalities you know. That's what society are made of. Seriously, I am Asian, I was taught that staying humble and polite is the foremost virtue every lady has to obtain.:biggrin:

But you know what, I am tired of that ***. I was born there, and I dislike it to the core. It's fake and frustrating as hell. I am not saying Yuna is fake. She is a classy lady for sure. I am saying that "you have to be diplomatic" mindset is very annoying. And faking some diplomatic words to be considered a lady sometimes does not worth it.:sarcasm:

I remember being an arrogant child when I was 17. I listen to no one and I criticize everyone. That age is difficult for most teenagers. We have to learn how to act appropriately in time. You guys are nitpicking a 17-year-old teenager. Just one question, do you remember who you were when you were 17?:disapp:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russians tend to be blunt in their opinions and are unconcerned with how their words are perceived by others. There is no such thing as 'political correctness' in Russia.

I recall how irate Irina Slutskaya was when Sarah Hughes won the OGM. She said some pretty insulting things about Sarah and was quite plain that she, Irina, had been robbed of her gold medal. At the time, she said if Michelle Kwan had won she would have accepted it with grace, but not THAT one!

jaylee

Medalist
Russians tend to be blunt in their opinions and are unconcerned with how their words are perceived by others. There is no such thing as 'political correctness' in Russia.

I recall how irate Irina Slutskaya was when Sarah Hughes won the OGM. She said some pretty insulting things about Sarah and was quite plain that she, Irina, had been robbed of her gold medal. At the time, she said if Michelle Kwan had won she would have accepted it with grace, but not THAT one!

Irina still voices her disagreement with the results of the 2002 Olympics and the 2006 Olympics--see last summer's IFS magazine interview with her. She gave respect to Shizuka by saying Shizuka totally deserved the gold in Torino, but doesn't agree with herself getting the bronze there or obviously the silver in SLC.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Doesn't mean all the skaters have to act like Yuna. People have different personalities you know. That's what society are made of. Seriously, I am Asian, I was taught that staying humble and polite is the foremost virtue every lady has to obtain.:biggrin:

But you know what, I am tired of that ***. I was born there, and I dislike it to the core. It's fake and frustrating as hell. I am not saying Yuna is fake. She is a classy lady for sure. I am saying that "you have to be diplomatic" mindset is very annoying. And faking some diplomatic words to be considered a lady sometimes does not worth it.:sarcasm:

I remember being an arrogant child when I was 17. I listen to no one and I criticize everyone. That age is difficult for most teenagers. We have to learn how to act appropriately in time. You guys are nitpicking a 17-year-old teenager. Just one question, do you remember who you were when you were 17?:disapp:

I so agree with you :agree: sometimes people expect too much.

gettinglow

Match Penalty
Oh, Irina Slutskaya. Perhaps one of the most unappealing skaters to watch ever. Whenever I'm reminded of that SLC LP, shuddering is on the way.

Nadya

On the Ice
In this usage, "elder" means "of greater age", so yes for Adelina both Yuna and Carolina, to name just a few, are her "elders". Moreover, these "elder" skaters are also of greater experience, wisdom, and achievement than young Adelina, she should respect that also.
There are no elders in competition. There are no points awarded for age. There is no hierarchy. Everyone on the ice at the same competition is an equal. I'm sure Adelina respects her competitors as equals but she doesn't owe anyone any deference.

Nadya

On the Ice
I'm not criticizing her, but I think she was just afraid to face the whole audience.Most people said she robbed Yuna Kim's gold medal.

Huh? Where was that whole audience she was afraid of?

cooper

Medalist

Irina still voices her disagreement with the results of the 2002 Olympics and the 2006 Olympics--see last summer's IFS magazine interview with her. She gave respect to Shizuka by saying Shizuka totally deserved the gold in Torino, but doesn't agree with herself getting the bronze there or obviously the silver in SLC.

and yet the haters are saying that "sour graping/sore loser" only applies to koreans.. :sarcasm:

Nadya

On the Ice
As for Adelina's interview, yes it was immature and classless, but still understandable considering the hate she's received these past few months. Still, she may only be 17, but I've seen far more grace and restraint from past 17-year-old skaters in interviews. She has a lot to learn from the veterans that came before her.
No you haven't, because the last time a 17-year old skater was in Adelina's position was never. There's no frame of reference for what Adelina had to go through.

Nadya

On the Ice
Oh, Irina Slutskaya. Perhaps one of the most unappealing skaters to watch ever. Whenever I'm reminded of that SLC LP, shuddering is on the way.
Excellent, inexpensive drugs are available to help with spontaneous spasms.

neraiselle

On the Ice
No you haven't, because the last time a 17-year old skater was in Adelina's position was never. There's no frame of reference for what Adelina had to go through.

Following your logic, there is no frame of reference for the kind of judging that happened in Sochi either. Never.

Anyway, I feel sad that she had to go through massive cyber bullying and I don't think it is right at all, but I don't think her answers to interviews in this way help at all.

wannahockachewie

Spectator

What she had to go through? You mean receive a gold medal, a new car, fame, lots of money from the Russian gov't?

Despite the trolls, it was still a disappointing interview. Much to learn that padawan...

Icey

Record Breaker
Curious. Beginning with Carol Heiss, how many female Olympic Gold medalists competed in the world competition immediately following the Olympics at which their gold medal was won. Off hand, I would guess only a small percentage.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
There are no elders in competition. There are no points awarded for age. There is no hierarchy. Everyone on the ice at the same competition is an equal. I'm sure Adelina respects her competitors as equals but she doesn't owe anyone any deference.

No one was talking about "points" or "hierarchy". There is something called respect though, and she doesn't show it by her behavior and her interview answers. Or at least no one has taught her to show it (on the contrary...).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I see the Goggle translate brigade is at it again. Time for the actual translator to weigh in. Alors:

Q: After your amazing victory, tons of international media criticized the judging and you personally. How does is affect you, or does it? And how important is it for you to be recognized by the international community?

A. Well, most of the international community supports me (laughs). The day after my win I received lots of...millions...billions of Facebook messages from my friends and enemies. The opinions were naturally divided, but I wasn't worried in the slightest, because I knew I did all I could on the ice. I had a skate of my life! I never skated like I did at the Olympics. And I believe I deserve this medal because Kim's program was weaker. She had no second combo late in the program, and when she did, it was a triple/double. And the jump she picked was easier. If she chose something more difficult, a double loop, for instance...even if she did early in the program, she would have won. But as she miscalculated somewhat and didn't do what she had to do by making the program easier, that worked against her.

Q. Yes, I agree, your victory was beyond doubt. I am just curious if it affected or bothered you.

A. In fact, at first I didn't even know about this...mess, as I didn't go online and didn't read much. I didn't want to. Then I logged into my Instagram and saw it. The Koreans covered it with dirty language.

Q. Not just Koreans.

A. Well, the people who wrote on my page were Koreans.

Q. Were the curses in Korean too?

A. Not all of them, some were in English. The main thing was it was entirely unpublishable. I didn't respond. Let them sort it out themselves. Obviously, they will support their athlete. Especially considering that Yuna Kim is like a president to Koreans.
Thanks for your translation, so it's pretty much the same as I read in Korean articles, or even worse, oh well :rolleye:

No wonder months has passed, but so many people still remember and attacking her throughout online community, she is just simply do nothing good for herself by that way of interview, she gives them so many reasons to bashed her endlessly.

I hope in Adelina's interview next time, please do not bring Yuna in anymore, that will just make her legion of fans angrier than anything else.