Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds? | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Was it wise for Sotnikova to skip Worlds?

qwertyskates

Medalist
Well, if you think like that, fine, your Adelina could enjoy the hate toward her in a long long time to date. And you guys could also stop whinning about how others bully her, because what, it's back to back attack. She against Yuna so Yuna's fans attack her, fair enough :laugh:

While Adelina too busy to defend herself, Yuna still enjoy her fame, her weath and her royal life, sound perfect for me :p

Seriously, "your Adelina" "enjoy the hate", attacks on Adelina are "fair enough"? You are accusing others of rudeness yet you don't see anything wrong with such mean and hateful comments?:rolleye:

nguyenghita

On the Ice
Seriously, "your Adelina" "enjoy the hate", attacks on Adelina are "fair enough"? You are accusing others of rudeness yet you don't see anything wrong with such mean and hateful comments?:rolleye:
I'm not start this with such mean comment though, that kind of overly self defend but whining about how other attack her at the same time annoyed me.

That's your logic about how Adelina can attack Yuna back because Yuna's fans attacked her, then I said that you guys could also stop whinning about how Adelina received hateful comments endlessly, that's her payment. Adelina for sure must feel free to said anything she wants about Yuna-who did not do/said anything to her, then we fans also free to show our hateful feeling to her, what's unfair here?

I said a simple thing before, if you couldn't bear tons of hateful attack then better don't said anything bad/negative about Yuna. Yuna's fans, especially korean fans are very sensitive about that, they all will stand up and defend Yuna/bash her "enemy" till the end of the world, that's korea netizens culture, it applying for everyone else, even countrymen not just only Adelina, so don't find it unfair to her :p

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Adelina did not attack Yuna. She was answering the allegations that she "robbed" Yuna, she had to say she skated better than Yuna. For the record, Yuna didn't do anything to mitigate this perception. In explaining why the Koreans and Yuna fans were acting the way they did, death threats, abuses, etc., she also remarked that Yuna is akin to the president there, which isn't so off the mark as as Yuna is revered as Queen Yuna. This offers perspective on why she (and Russia) is under attack the way she is.

I don't see how any of this is rude to Yuna, perhaps to Koreans culturally, you can't even mention Yuna without permission and only with genuflection, but this isn't something culturally universal. Now, is it obligatory for Koreans to show the same cultural respect to Mao, Suzuki and other skaters and have they?

When did I say Adelina attacked Yuna? She just answered the question in her own way. Just that I found her answer disrespectful to Yuna. She did not defend her win by saying she skated better in certain areas. She scrutinized Yuna's program, called it weaker, and suggested things she should have done to win. In my book, that's disrespectful and arrogant.

For everything you accuse of others, perhaps it might be prudent to first consider the POV of the other person.

You were the one who said "Well, have Yuna and her fans shown respect to Adelina?" I only replied because you said this. Really, your advice applies to you more than to me.

This has gone too long and I already see no point in replying. Thank you for your time. I'm not an Adelina hater.

Mafke

Medalist
Fan of neither: :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

You know what the coolest thing ever would be? No? Then I'll tell you!

The coolest thing ever would be if Kim and Sotnikova are booked on the same show and one of them is relaxing by a lily pond when the other arrives and they act out this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfVYaK7VFOY

The only question is who's Alexis and who's Krystle?

I'd say that Sotnikova is Alexis (goading Kim with talk of second OGM that'll never happen) and Krsytle is Kim (trying to be above it all until she snaps)

Then Ottavio can come in and berate them both for acting like "female mud wrestlers".

That would be the greatest thing in the history of the universe.

Meoima

Match Penalty
You know what the coolest thing ever would be? No? Then I'll tell you!

The coolest thing ever would be if Kim and Sotnikova are booked on the same show and one of them is relaxing by a lily pond when the other arrives and they act out this scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfVYaK7VFOY

The only question is who's Alexis and who's Krystle?

I'd say that Sotnikova is Alexis (goading Kim with talk of second OGM that'll never happen) and Krsytle is Kim (trying to be above it all until she snaps)

Then Ottavio can come in and berate them both for acting like "female mud wrestlers".

That would be the greatest thing in the history of the universe.
I am not fan of these 2 ladies. I'm sure they won't do things like that, lol. But the scenario is awesome. I would love to watch. :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: I am a shallow person who have some certain interest for drama. But seriously, I think their fans are playing the lily pond fight at the moment.:biggrin:

jaylee

Medalist
Well, have Yuna and her fans shown respect to Adelina? Yuna herself said she did not understand the results, specifically spoke out against press reports that she conceded the gold, so she is making clear that she does not agree with the results. Naturally her fans are all up in arms. Why would Adelina have to say all these things to defend her win if she hasn't been at the receiving end of vitriol, abuses, threats, etc.? In fact, she and her Fed did not retaliate at all, she simply defended her win at a friendly press interview. She is within her rights to address the controversy.

What an incredibly gross distortion of Yuna's reactions. Yuna did NOT speak out against press reports that she conceded the gold; her agency requested that quotes that she never said be removed from an IOC article. Yuna has emphasized TIME AND TIME AND AGAIN that her overall reaction regarding the scoring was that others were more upset than she was and that she was happy that it was over, that she was happy she did 2 clean skates in Sochi.

When asked to comment on Adelina's performance and even Adelina's Olympic gala, Yuna said simply that she hadn't seen either.

Adelina is responsible for her own interviews and her own reaction. She chose to criticize Yuna's programs instead of just focusing on the strenghts of her own. (Did she admit that she had weaknesses in her own program that went unpunished, such as her flutzing? No.)

I also wonder that Tarasova, Adelina, and others can't defend Adelina's OGM victory without attacking Yuna. It just shows defensiveness and insecurity that belies what they're saying, that the OGM victory is indisputable. If it's so indisputable and so obvious, why attack Yuna so much? Why not let the skating speak for itself?

Tutto

Record Breaker
I am not Adelina’ s fan but not a hater either. Yes, Adelina is only 17 (nearly 18) but she has been in a spotlight since 12 years old when she became a National Champion for the first time. Quite a long time to learn how to deal with media, yet again and again her arrogant attitude in interviews is apparent and commented on (by Russians too). She may be a very sweet girl as many suggest but doesn’t come across as such. The problem with Adelina is I think stems from Adelina Team, the fed and all the hype about her since she was 12. She believes she won fairly because she was told again and again that she is the best by her coaches, the fed etc the only problem was that she failed to deliver a clean performance but once it happened – bingo! It may have been a surprise for the rest of the world but not for Adelina herself. That’s why I think there was so little artistic improvement in her skating over the years. As far as Adelina and her team concerned she was ‘there’ already. I read a few interviews with Vodorezova in the past years always complaining that Adelina was unfairly treated by the judges (on international scene of course), I can not recall any comments like Adelina yet needed to improve in this area or that area but something like that for example: Adelina delivered a great step sequence and nobody even noticed! I remember feeling disappointed in Vodorezova’s attitude.
And by the way there were a few comments to that article we are currently discussing by Russian readers suggesting that more humble approach wouldn’t go a miss and that Adelina is yet to a prove a lot as a skater…

jatale

On the Ice
Skaters like Yuna and Mao and Michelle are models for what a great skater should be, they are above the fray, secure in their own achievements, and respectful of the achievements of others. It is unfortunate that Adelina is the victim of politically suspicious judging, that is not her fault, ultimately it is the fault of the nationalistic subversion of the Olympic spirit which should be about the achievements of individual athletes not about their countries of origin.

As I've said before and I'll say again, Adelina is a victim here of the machinations of political agendas, she skated well but not well enough to clearly win in the eyes of many (I believe most) dedicated ice skating fans. This controversy is likely to follow her throughout the remainder of her skating career. If she had won the OSM, her personal outlook would have been much better - the result would NOT have caused controversy and she could have skated without the weight of a questionable legacy. But politics won out and Adelina will most likely suffer the consequences.

qwertyskates

Medalist
What an incredibly gross distortion of Yuna's reactions. Yuna did NOT speak out against press reports that she conceded the gold; her agency requested that quotes that she never said be removed from an IOC article. Yuna has emphasized TIME AND TIME AND AGAIN that her overall reaction regarding the scoring was that others were more upset than she was and that she was happy that it was over, that she was happy she did 2 clean skates in Sochi.

When asked to comment on Adelina's performance and even Adelina's Olympic gala, Yuna said simply that she hadn't seen either.

Adelina is responsible for her own interviews and her own reaction. She chose to criticize Yuna's programs instead of just focusing on the strenghts of her own. (Did she admit that she had weaknesses in her own program that went unpunished, such as her flutzing? No.)

I also wonder that Tarasova, Adelina, and others can't defend Adelina's OGM victory without attacking Yuna. It just shows defensiveness and insecurity that belies what they're saying, that the OGM victory is indisputable. If it's so indisputable and so obvious, why attack Yuna so much? Why not let the skating speak for itself?

It was posted by some of her fans here that Yuna said she was "confused by the results" and so i assumed they weren't making this up. I didn't think that was a good thing for Yuna to say, especially when Adelina is getting abuses and threats. Perhaps her fans posted falsehoods here. I find many of the Yuna fan base abusive even here, the ones who say Adelina deserves the hate for robbing Yuna, etc. It is WRONG to do this to any skater, to wish for harm upon Adelina's person. It shows very poor sportsmanship.

In the first place, Adelina was answering questions from a friendly press. I don't think Adelina attacked Yuna when she said Yuna had a technically weaker program and that was how she, Adelina, won. It is in fact an opinion shared by many, including most mainstream media. Did Yuna mention her own weaknesses, such as URs? If not then why must Adelina? Of course every winner would defend his/her win when challenged, it is only normal.

If there weren't such a great brouhaha over Sochi, Adelina wouldn't even have said anything about her program vs Yuna's, it would be like one of the hundreds of sport competitions resulting in disagreement over the verdict that eventually peter off. To escalate to the point of death threats, abuses, allegations of fraud, cheating, crime, that is simply unacceptable to do to ANY skater.

cooper

Medalist
It was posted by some of her fans here that Yuna said she was "confused by the results" and so i assumed they weren't making this up. I didn't think that was a good thing for Yuna to say, especially when Adelina is getting abuses and threats. Perhaps her fans posted falsehoods here. I find many of the Yuna fan base abusive even here, the ones who say Adelina deserves the hate for robbing Yuna, etc. It is WRONG to do this to any skater, to wish for harm upon Adelina's person. It shows very poor sportsmanship.

In the first place, Adelina was answering questions from a friendly press. I don't think Adelina attacked Yuna when she said Yuna had a technically weaker program and that was how she, Adelina, won. It is in fact an opinion shared by many, including most mainstream media. Did Yuna mention her own weaknesses, such as URs? If not then why must Adelina? Of course every winner would defend his/her win when challenged, it is only normal.

If there weren't such a great brouhaha over Sochi, Adelina wouldn't even have said anything about her program vs Yuna's, it would be like one of the hundreds of sport competitions resulting in disagreement over the verdict that eventually peter off. To escalate to the point of death threats, abuses, allegations of fraud, cheating, crime, that is simply unacceptable to do to ANY skater.

you are really good of making something.. and twisted it.. like it's okay..

what some posters are trying to say here.. is that adelina attacked yuna's program... yuna NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT adelina's program.. but instead you make it sound like yuna should also be condemned by just saying that she's confused by the results.. and then trying desperately indirectly linking her to the behavior of the crazy bots bullying adelina online.. i don't know.. it's so typical.. :rolleye:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Really?? I'd much rather her come out and just say Adelina was over scored. I mean if she is thinking it then she should just say it. That's much more respectable in my book. I never ever thought I would have a doubt in my mind about Yuna. I'm really saddened by this and honestly hope it's not true or out of context. For the sake of her many devoted fans...she should take five minutes and see what has them callusing their finger tips!

Nadya

On the Ice
No one was talking about "points" or "hierarchy". There is something called respect though, and she doesn't show it by her behavior and her interview answers. Or at least no one has taught her to show it (on the contrary...).
I think you have a weird definition of respect.

cooper

Medalist
Really?? I'd much rather her come out and just say Adelina was over scored. I mean if she is thinking it then she should just say it. That's much more respectable on my book. I never ever thought I would have a doubt in Yuna. I'm really saddened by this and honestly hope it's not true or out of context. For the sake of her many devoted fans...she should take five minutes and see what hasn't

she was asked about whether she saw other skaters' programs and she said no and asked about adelina's gala she also said no.. so it's not only adelina that she singled out that she didn't watch but also other skaters as well..

the only program that yuna saw was mao's lp.. and she was happy for mao..

Nadya

On the Ice
she was asked about whether she saw other skaters' programs and she said no and asked about adelina's gala she alsosaid no.. so it's not only adelina that she didn't watch but also other skaters.. the only program that yuna saw was mao.. and she was happy for mao..
Since you're bringing it up, I'll just come out and say that I don't believe any skaters who claim they haven't watched their competitors skate. Of course they did, with a fine-tooth comb too.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Still...she's not blind to the drama unfolding. It's kind of disingenuous to just say sorry...I never took the time to watch that. Kind of a cop out. That doesn't seem like her to me. I would expect her to say she saw Adrlina's skate and compliment it honestly. This seems out of character to me and more like something a politician would say, I've always considered Yuna like a wise owl who makes her own way. This seems odd is all.

cooper

Medalist
Since you're bringing it up, I'll just come out and say that I don't believe any skaters who claim they haven't watched their competitors skate. Of course they did, with a fine-tooth comb too.

maybe you can say that but WE DON'T KNOW.. she was the last skater in the final flight.. she was focusing in her own performance..

or maybe she just wanted to escape from the korean media who will asked her everything about adelina's skating etc.. and refused to give in.. because she knew that the korean media was also angry that night..

Nadya

On the Ice
I doubt they'll get any training.
IME no slavic nation is noted for being tactful or diplomatic and the cultures are much more about making your case and not backing down (until you face overwhelming force). The worst that can be said about Sotnikova's remarks from that point of view is.... nothing, she's doing fine.

Asada and Kim are from cultures where the road to victory lies in avoiding confrontation or the appearance of disagreement (why most of the cyber hate has been anonymous). I'm sure that if Sotnikova ever skates in Korea the audience will be tactful and respectful. Should Sotnikova choose to defend her title in 2018 I really doubt the crowd will chant Han-Kuk! Han-kuk! while she's waiting for her scores......

I have to agree with that. Asian culture rewards the appearance of zero conflict, and women especially are taught to behave to maintain the appearance of harmony. Asians equate this behavior with class because harmony is valued over truth.

Slavic character, on the other hand, prizes candor and bluntness that to other cultures may appear too direct and arrogant. Russians are annoyed with political correctness, in which Asians excel, because truth there is valued over harmony.

Nadya

On the Ice
maybe you can say that but WE DON'T KNOW.. she was the last skater in the final flight.. she was focusing in her own performance..

or maybe she just wanted to escape from the korean media who will asked her everything about adelina's skating etc.. and refused to give in.. because she knew that the korean media was also angry that night..
I am allowed to have an opinion and my opinion is that any skater who claims not to have watched the performance of their nearest competitor is lying. I'm not saying they don't have good reasons to lie, or that lying in this case is a bad thing. I'm just saying that in my opinion, they are lying.