2014 Skate America Men's SP 10/24 | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate America Men's SP 10/24

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Denis, Machida, Jeremy and Jason are the most impressive watching live. Michael projected his best. thump up for little canadian did a clean program.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Good job for Machida but the choreography of the camel-change-camel sucks. The program just stops.

I want to see someone do running stars into a forward camel, change edge, change foot with a jump to back camel, then upside down position. That would look so much better, not take up as much time, and it's still Level 4. No more ugly catch-foot or needlessly holding out a camel for 8 revolutions.

That's quite a complex spin you're suggesting. I actually like Machida's camel because he has a nice position and it's nice to see a camel spin actually being held for a decent number of rotations with good speed maintained. But Machida's forward camel is definitely an exception to a lot of the 8-revolution laboured spins in an awkward "difficult" position.

lutzlover

On the Ice
At the hotel resting. I'm still in a trance from watching skaters live...Meryl and Charlie were right behind us and I internally freaked out. Anyway, Machida was amazing. His artistry, expression, choreography, everything was so perfected and clean! He received a partial standing ovation. Jeremy was okay. Jumps were good but not great, artistry was fine; I don't know why but I felt like I was watching a Stars on Ice performance. Denis Ten- poor guy, today was not his day. His fall on the quad was a definite ouch, and his axel was so huge that he could barely land it. But he has so much potential and talent; I hope he can rebound in the long! Jason was great. Watching his short on youtube, I felt indifferent. But in real life, with the energy of the audience, it's a lot more entertaining. His fall on the axel was a little bit of a shock; he landed some good ones in the warmup. Adien and Nam were adorable! I may or may not have mini crushes on them...they still skate like Juniors but they definitely held their own technically. Nam's program was super fun and he got a lot of support from the crowd. All in all, one of the best days of my life:love:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Just got back from the arena!

Tatsuki, Jason, Jeremy, and Nam were the best performers of the night, IMO. The latter 3 all seemed aware of the audience and interacted with us during the performance. Tatsuki just sucked us in with his cleanliness and elegance.

This was my first time paying attention to Nam and he is quite the charmer!

I also really enjoyed Jeremy's presentation - he had this nice, easy smile throughout the program and it was lovely to see him execute a clean program. I have a feeling he's actually going to do really well this season now that he's not putting so much pressure on himself.

One of the things I love about Jason's skating is that even when he makes a major error, like today, I almost forget about it by the end of the program because he commits to every moment. I have my fingers crossed for him for tomorrow.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I do like Jason's skating, but I think the "I can't help being so cute" act is getting stale.

This.

He needs a different choreographer or something to get rid of the smarm factor. He needs to skate with more authenticity.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
when watch live, Denis' ice pattern, change of directions, are very impressive. soft skating,bouncy knees, good feel of ice, his performance also is very musical and nuanced, whereas machida has his bigger than life projection. but somehow feels one dimensional but still can leave a huge impact in your heart. all these account are about their body language. not facial expression.
Jason has nice creative choreography and dance moves, can be very smooth and fast when there is not much transitions.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just got back from the arena!

Tatsuki, Jason, Jeremy, and Nam were the best performers of the night, IMO. The latter 3 all seemed aware of the audience and interacted with us during the performance. Tatsuki just sucked us in with his cleanliness and elegance.

This was my first time paying attention to Nam and he is quite the charmer!

I also really enjoyed Jeremy's presentation - he had this nice, easy smile throughout the program and it was lovely to see him execute a clean program. I have a feeling he's actually going to do really well this season now that he's not putting so much pressure on himself.

One of the things I love about Jason's skating is that even when he makes a major error, like today, I almost forget about it by the end of the program because he commits to every moment. I have my fingers crossed for him for tomorrow.

I was there tonight also! It was amazing!

Meoima

Match Penalty
Artur got -1 deduction for late start, as I have guessed. :scowl: Without that time deduction he should have been placed higher than Adian. I can't get the new rule for late start at all. :unsure:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
This.

He needs a different choreographer or something to get rid of the smarm factor. He needs to skate with more authenticity.

Look, I'm no fan of this SP--out of all the blues/jazz numbers out there, this music just doesn't seem to really work, mostly because it doesn't seem to progress--but it is useful to remember this is only the beginning of his second year as a senior skater. The Prince program was all about the come on. This is all about Let's Have Some Fun. He has plenty of time to do dull classical programs like just about everyone else. What you see as swarm I see as a genuine joy in performing. And that's refreshing as hell.

MIM

Medalist
when watch live, Denis' ice pattern, change of directions, are very impressive. soft skating,bouncy knees, good feel of ice, his performance also is very musical and nuanced, whereas machida has his bigger than life projection. but somehow feels one dimensional but still can leave a huge impact in your heart. all these account are about their body language. not facial expression.
Jason has nice creative choreography and dance moves, can be very smooth and fast when there is not much transitions.

Indeed!!! Thank you for your reports on the practice/performance. I enjoy reading everyone's live reports. I wish I could be there... I blame myself not arranging work schedule beforehand in spite of living five hours away from Chicago.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, the World Series is on, isn't it?

True -- but only the third game of a tied series btwn SF vs. KC, and I say that as someone hoping for the Giants to win. ;)

I guess the litmus test is whether John Coughlin was in attendance at the Sears Centre tonight or at the hotel (or in an undisclosed location :laugh:) glued to a TV.

But seriously ... hard to say, IMO, whether any baseball fans who did not want to miss the game otherwise would have bought Skate America tix in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. :think:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's quite a complex spin you're suggesting.

People like Takahashi have already done something on that level - forward camel into change edge upside down position, change of foot with jump, then catch-foot position. The one I suggest would be so much cleaner, though! It's easier for most Men to keep a clean line with the upside down than it is a catch-foot and doing the change edge in regular camel position is nicer. Stars into a camel can be a really great tool choreographic tool as well. I miss Weir doing that. Makarova also did it nicely. Now it's worth a level feature!

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Well I have to say I enjoyed Jeremy's program. His skating was very good and I liked his simple costume. He looked strong and confident.However, I did not like the song/music at all.
Jason's program was very good and had a lot of dancing moves which he does so well. Too bad he fell but as they say, best to get the falls out of your system now then at Nationals and worlds. I am sure SA is a big deal for the skaters with it being the very first major competition of the season, everyone wants to come out and do their best and show off their new programs and new skills. Jason will come back fighting now. It is all good experience for him.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I do like Jason's skating, but I think the "I can't help being so cute" act is getting stale. And so is the ponytail.

I think his team is aware of the need to stretch his artistic boundaries as seen in Jason's LP this season, which certainly does not rely on the "cute factor," borrowing Brian Orser's words.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Tatsuki MACHIDA (JPN) - 93.39 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Jeremy ABBOTT (USA) - 81.82 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Jason BROWN (USA) - 79.75 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Denis TEN (KAZ) - 77.18 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Adian PITKEEV (RUS) - 76.13 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Artur GACHINSKI (RUS) - 75.71 Short Program, 2nd Copy
7. Nam NGUYEN (CAN) - 73.71 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Chafik BESSEGHIER (FRA) - 73.57 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
9. Michael Christian MARTINEZ (PHI) - 72.81 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
10. Douglas RAZZANO (USA) - 66.23 Short Program
11. Alexei BYCHENKO (ISR) - 64.54 Short Program
12. Jorik HENDRICKX (BEL) - 55.99 Short Program

unico

Final Flight
Thoughts after having watched the Machida, Brown, Abbott, and Ten.

Machida: I agree with whoever said in the thread that his program comes to a complete halt during that camel spin. And after the beginning, it's just a bit one-tone with no real sense of contrast in the movement or the music, so it's just... monotonous angst? I wish the music would allow him to loosen up/declutter some of the choreography. It's just a bit too much.

Brown: His program also doesn't really build up to anything, the music just kinds of drones on without discernable beg/middle/end, and he does come off a bit hammy. But I don't understand the comments that he keeps playing up to his "cute factor"? This SP is a bit schticky and cute, but I wouldn't have called either of his programs last season either of those things, nor would I his long program this season.

Abbott: Didn't like the mumbly/echo-y vocals for starters, but he really knows how to hold his positions and his edges. Such beautiful flowing skating skills that I didn't end up caring too much about the vocals. I'm tentatively OK with this program, I think it just needs a bit more mileage.

Ten: Jumps weren't there, and without those elements landed to highlight the music, the program fizzles. But, I never thought I would see the day I might actually grow to like a Denis Ten program! I think it has potential when all jumps are hit (like with Machida's East of Eden World SP last season) to really sing.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Oh, haha, I just realized that Denis Ten in fact did the spin I was suggesting, only a different entrance. See how much better it flows! Now he needs to work on that bent leg in the final position.