Men's FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Men's FS

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I am trying to remember the last time Evan actually did obtain a final placing determined by a judging panel warranted. It would have to be an event where he had a big gap on the next placement as I do not recall an event his scores were not extremely elevated in a way not reflective of the standard of his skating. Perhaps his Cup of China win this year.

well aside from the inflated nationals scoring, he deserved his win. Johnny's skating left him... for everyone's complaint on how high Evan scored, yeah it was inflated because the crowd would have probably eaten the judges had they not given him some huge number. I have every faith that if Johnny had skated like we all know he can (and HE knows he can) then we'd just see huge numbers upon huge numbers...

Go Evan! Go Team USA! :rock: :clap:

kittycat26

Match Penalty
well aside from the inflated nationals scoring, he deserved his win. Johnny's skating left him... for everyone's complaint on how high Evan scored, yeah it was inflated because the crowd would have probably eaten the judges had they not given him some huge number. I have every faith that if Johnny had skated like we all know he can (and HE knows he can) then we'd just see huge numbers upon huge numbers...

Go Evan! Go Team USA! :rock: :clap:

You are right, his U.S Nationals win was well merited as well, without getting into any discussions on my opinion of the score, especialy since Nationals scoring is a different standard altogether which applies to all countries.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I've been reading some of the arguments for & against the skating of Lysacek & Buttle. I'm wondering how many of you read an article in the Aug. '06 issue of IFS magazine concerning changes that will be considered at this year's ISU Congress in June? To quote one sentence, "For next season, expected changes include more points for the big tricks & fewer elements in ice dance & free skating programs." Further in the article David Dore said that the base value for quads will be increased by 2.0. Higher values for triple axles are mentioned in this article as well. Just something for everyone to think about & consider.

kittycat26

Match Penalty
I've been reading some of the arguments for & against the skating of Lysacek & Buttle. I'm wondering how many of you read an article in the Aug. '06 issue of IFS magazine concerning changes that will be considered at this year's ISU Congress in June? To quote one sentence, "For next season, expected changes include more points for the big tricks & fewer elements in ice dance & free skating programs." Further in the article David Dore said that the base value for quads will be increased by 2.0. Higher values for triple axles are mentioned in this article as well. Just something for everyone to think about & consider.

Unfortunately the last thing the sport needs. With people already up in arms that the scoring is too jump related they are going to go and even make it more jump related? If their goal is to drive figure skating into the ground they are continuing to take steps in that direction.

The fewer elements in ice dancing I think is a good idea however.

iloveaxel

Match Penalty

Wow, that's great news!!!

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
I don't see why more points need to be given to the quad. It's already worth 3 more points than the 3Lutz, I think that that's enough. I do think that the 3axel could stand to be worth more and I guess if it is the quad needs to be as well to keep a difference between the two, but it is arguable which is more difficult, the 3axel or the 4toe. There are quite a few skaters with a much more consistant 4toe than 3axel, Lambiel is a good example.
Personally if any section of the COP needs to be revised it's the PC scores. Each section needs to be marked individualy and independant of the jump content except for maybe P & I which could arguably be affected by the jumps being landed or not.
JMO

rain

Record Breaker
Unfortunately the last thing the sport needs. With people already up in arms that the scoring is too jump related they are going to go and even make it more jump related? If their goal is to drive figure skating into the ground they are continuing to take steps in that direction.

The fewer elements in ice dancing I think is a good idea however.

I agree. A really big problem I forsee should they make the quad worth a lot more points (and two is a lot) is that we already have the problem of skaters putting in jumps they know they can't land, but can rotate, because they will get x number of point for them regardless. Buttle was roundly criticized for this last season, planning the quad fall into his program. If they quad is suddenly worth so many more points, we'll see a lot more guys doing this. Which of course will lead to even more injuries. I think the judging system already rewards the quad and axel generously.

Vodka Shot

On the Ice

OMG that is the absolute last thing they need to do. If quads count for so much then why will skaters even bother w/ PC elements? I fear we will see nothing but, skate-quad-skate-quad etc. as in Plushenko in Torino. They really are trying to make this ice jumping I think.:scowl: not to mention more and more injuries.

enlight78

Medalist
Giving quads more points is the dumbest thing they can do. It is the spins that need a point incease in. If they were worth more points they would recieve the full effect of a -3 GOE, then maybe skaters will start improving their spins. Skaters are already doing quads. They don't need anymore encouragement. I don't know about you, but I'm tired of watching splatfests.