Mens SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Mens SP

cloudkicker09

Final Flight
Ah, it's only SP. I'm sure Johnny will have a great FS.

I hope so, I do not like how Evan always uses overused music, first the same short program for 5 years, then Carmen for two years, and now Bolero.....when will it end. Johnny is brilliant, a true artist, and creative.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Because one poster commented on Evan's same old arm flailing. I don't recall TT's other charges flailing.

Yagudin had quite a bit - not as much as Plushenko - but he used his arms in excess to make a 'point' in the program... yes I realize that Morosov was named choreographer, but I see no difference in his style to TT's

feraina

Record Breaker
Johnny looked relieved at his score, as was I. I think he's going to say something in the interview along the lines that he was a little off today, and nevertheless he was able to keep it together and pull it through, something he's doing better now than he was able to before, and he's happy about that. And he will be right. :)

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
JW seemed a bit slow and tentative last year too. Why slow, I wonder. Is he conserving energy?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yagudin had quite a bit - not as much as Plushenko - but he used his arms in excess to make a 'point' in the program... yes I realize that Morosov was named choreographer, but I see no difference in his style to TT's

JW worked with her and he didn't flail. Neither did Sasha or Shizuka. I was hoping TT would bring something else out of Evan. Maybe in the LP.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I hope so, I do not like how Evan always uses overused music, first the same short program for 5 years, then Carmen for two years, and now Bolero.....when will it end. Johnny is brilliant, a true artist, and creative.
TAT chose that music for Evan, he just obeyed.
I wouldn't call Johnny's FS music very original either, but I think it might work. I've seen practice vids on icenetwork.
Oh I used to love :love: Johnny's skating, too.
But I really want to wish them all good luck tomorrow. And maybe - a bit more - to Takahiko Kozuka.

Thanks for all of the PBP everyone!! Much appreciated.
I second it.

enlight78

Medalist
well the men completely ruin my predictions. No one is suppose to skate that well at SA.Hope the women do the same. Kozuka program was the highlight and most entertaining. I hate Evan's footwork. It does nothing for the piece.Johnny not 100% and still did well enough to be in winning position. I am so proud of Adrian and Shawn. They did well. I hope Adam pulls together for the long.

screech

Final Flight
The biggest change I noticed in Evan is he was wearing SPARKLES! And not just sparkles/sequins, but RED ONES!

His arms freak me out in the entry to his 3a. I have always found he has a weird jumping technique.

I would have had Kozuka 1st, Evan 2nd and Johnny 3rd (if not for the 2 ft I would have had Johnny 2nd).

Kevin Reynolds was overmarked - I thought Shawn Sawyer was better than him! At least Sawyer has skating skills and doesn't just jump 1 inch off the ice and spin fast to get 4 rotations done in that 1 inch... I actually would have had Shawn 4th, Adrian 5th and Kevin 6th, but then again, I'm not an ISU judge.

I also thought that Ian Martinez was undermarked, I would have had him at least 1-2 places higher.

lmarie086

Medalist
1 Evan LYSACEK USA 81.30 44.10 38.20 7.70 7.35 7.85 7.60 7.70 1.00 9
2 Johnny WEIR USA 80.55 42.50 80.00 38.05 7.75 7.35 7.60 7.60 7.75 0.00 10
3 Takahiko KOZUKA JPN 80.10 44.70 35.40 7.20 6.90 7.05 7.05 7.20 0.00 6
4 Kevin REYNOLDS CAN 67.18 37.08 30.10 6.20 5.65 6.05 6.10 6.10 0.00 7
5 Adrian SCHULTHEISS SWE 64.40 35.40 29.00 5.90 5.65 5.70 5.85 5.90 0.00 5
6 Shawn SAWYER CAN 64.14 33.14 31.00 6.40 6.15 6.10 6.05 6.30 0.00 3
7 Alexander USPENSKI RUS 59.63 30.58 29.05 5.90 5.50 5.75 5.95 5.95 0.00 4
8 Adam RIPPON USA 59.60 29.90 30.70 6.35 5.90 6.15 6.20 6.10 1.00 8
9 Igor MACYPURA SVK 54.58 27.98 27.60 5.75 5.20 5.50 5.55 5.60 1.00 2
10 Ian MARTINEZ CAN 50.68 25.28 26.40 5.40 5.00 5.35 5.10 5.55 1.00 1

taken from isu.org

Medusa

Record Breaker
Kozuka can win this. Forget Rippon. Johnny needs some pizzaz, and Evan was being his competitive best.

I actually predicted the medallists right! Not exactly in this order, but 1. Kozuka, 2. Lysacek, 3. Weir. Well, it's also possible that someone is going to make up those 13 points they are behind Kozuka & Co.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
JW worked with her and he didn't flail. Neither did Sasha or Shizuka. I was hoping TT would bring something else out of Evan. Maybe in the LP.

Johnny wouldn't know how to flail even if they wanted him to. Not a bad thing, just something I can't ever seem him doing.

Sasha didn't flail, but she flapped.

I'm not saying every one of her people does, but the ones that seem - for or to her - the most 'needing/wanting' to be macho get rewarded with flapping. Again I see this also in Morosov.

I'm not annoyed with Evan's flapping or 'flailing' as it at least seems to emphasize the music... I'm more interested in what is happening on the ice during those moments anyway.

I'm so out of touch, I didn't even realize SA had started until I happened on Sports Universal or whatever it is toward the end of pairs.

Basically I agree with Joesitz. I really loved Kozuka and Schultheiss. They both had style, musicality, technique and originality.

Agree with those who fail to see any Tarasova influence on Evan. He is a strange skater. I have to acknowledge his athletic prowess and work ethic but he is unpleasant to watch, IMO. If he were singing, I'd say he "belted" Bolero. Who belts a piece of music that's supposed to be mesmerizing and sexy? Everything is on top speed, top volume. No subtlety whatsoever. But his sit spins are incredible. When I saw his speed, I thought, "unbeatable."

And Johnny - he's recycling himself. It seems he can't pull out the darn quad and his spins are slowing down. So IMO he desperately needs marvelous programs to accent his uniqueness. But this is insipid. I love his skating and want him to win but he should ditch this program and find a new choreographer. Although... pointswise it served him well. The heck with skate by number.

Also agree with all who loved M&T and were a little disappointed in S/S (normally my faves if S/Z are gone). Fun idea but bad music. I'm just glad there's a real contest. I don't think M/B are in it yet, but they will be amazing soon.

ChrisH

On the Ice
Hmm, I would've given Lysacek a bigger lead. He had the biggest jumps and skated with the most energy. The audience seemed to favor him the most too. It would be better if he did a greater variety of spins, though. Yes, they were fast but it seemed like he did nothing but sit spins.

Rippon's nerves were frazzled.

It would be better if [Evan] did a greater variety of spins, though. Yes, they were fast but it seemed like he did nothing but sit spins.
Yes... but they weren't just fast, but so stretched, and with those long legs, what an effect.

Medusa

Record Breaker
Hmm, I would've given Lysacek a bigger lead. He had the biggest jumps and skated with the most energy. The audience seemed to favor him the most too. It would be better if he did a greater variety of spins, though. Yes, they were fast but it seemed like he did nothing but sit spins.

The US-American audience also favoured Bush over anyone else for 8 years.

Lysacek's 3A was scratchy as always. But I liked his interpretation, I think it had style and conviction. He never will be the most musical skater and there are better interpretations of Bolero - but he was really good. And his sitspin is really great, why shouldn't he do it?