2016 World Championships Ladies SP | Page 103 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Ladies SP

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
This was such a well-skated event! I want to be excited, but the overscoring of Gold has ruined it for me. I was terrified this would happen, but knew it would. If Gracie is clean, she will win. She does not have the best components. She is such a wooden and robotic skater with no real expression. It's a joke.

I am so happy for Anna, though. There is such an intensity in her work. It's a slow burn, full of such maturity and elegance for a young woman of only 17. She is mesmerizing on the ice. IMO she did everything better than Gold and should be in first place.

Ashley was also incredible! I'm so happy for her, especially after some of the unfair criticism that has been lodged at her this week. I hope she can keep it together in the long program.

Zhenya is going to have to be perfect in the long and hope for Gold to make mistakes. Unfortunately, everyone does at this point.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
I don't think the difference between the top skaters was correct. Gracie's score had to be on the same level as others: there were no way she was better than for ex. Ashley in PCS. Ashley's PCS should be the highest, and both Mao's and Satoko PCS should be higher in relation to others. The fact that it is the first time Gracie had clean SP should not have given her such an advantage. Her program is far from the best, first lutz was not great and she doesn't do 3a, neither a combination in the second half to give her such a lead in front of other skaters who were equally good.
Anna should have been leading by tiny margin because she was the cleanest one + on fire.

You talk about Gracie not having a combo in the second half, but she does have two jumps in the second half. Anna has none, so how can you say Anna deserves first?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
This was such a well-skated event! I want to be excited, but the overscoring of Gold has ruined it for me. I was terrified this would happen, but knew it would. If Gracie is clean, she will win. She does not have the best components. She is such a wooden and robotic skater with no real expression. It's a joke.

Gracie could have even scored higher with a better combo and flip, very close to the WR in fact.

badknees

Medalist
I mean skating order obviously had an effect on the scores. I mean, Gracie and Ashley's PCS would have been reversed if Ashley went later. Also, Medvedeva would not have been lower than Pogo. Not that I agree/disagree, that's just they reality.

Why can't this problem be fixed? Just score appropriate points whenever they skate. How difficult would this be?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31hXTRmKt_E

Steps sequence all in one leg, layback bielmann on both legs, perfect technique -> how to blow everyone out of the water.

Frontloaded, very little connection to the music.

Superb technique, though, yes. I hate these days how most of the ladies get very little power in their double axel. They are all so concerned with transitions while doing the jump that it ends up not being all that exciting or majestic in and of itself. MEH.

The choreography of spins is nearly meaningless these days too. I really appreciated how Pogorilaya exited her Flying Camel in this competition, there was more detail and finishing touch than we usually get these days.

KweenAsada

On the Ice
This event was a perfect example of why I love this sport.

Who could have predicted this outcome!? My favorite skater is in 9th place and I'm not even mad. How could I be!? The level of skating by the top ladies. WOW! I'm still gonna hold out hope for medals for Mao and Ashley, but I cannot dislike or root against any of these women. They all have a story and they are all SO good! I wish them all the best of luck. Bring on the free skate!!!!!!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Why can't this problem be fixed? Just score appropriate points whenever they skate. How difficult would this be?

I think the difficulty is that the judges need to leave room above and below for upcoming skaters. A lot of talented women skated after Ashley. Only one skater went after Gracie and it's not someone that the judges probably thought could get better PCS.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

It's always been this way. In the 6.0 system the early skaters in the final group were never given the scores they deserved no matter how they skated because they needed to leave room for the final skaters. But there is no reason to do it in this system which is much more flexible and can move skaters up or down much easier then 6.0.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Mini review and thoughts, love them all!

There is a lot to talk about and it makes me a little bit proud that my preview was actually very spot on and that Gracie is indeed on track to Gold. I remember how I once said, that Adelina will win the Olympics and nobody believed in her, except that foolish guy here.

The story with Gracie is very similar and I am sure, many of you thought I am nuts to call her a gold medalist at Boston, many months ago when she once again, faced a lot of negativity but not only her but also Frank. It was a personal pleasure to kick all these haters in their asses all season long with my comments and that now, our Gracie delivered what I once predicted and maybe even a bit more than expected.

While we still have the Free coming up, I am damn proud of this young lady, I always knew she had what it takes to be a winner and not just a super model. What I said after Sochi, also applies here, the judges were definately influenced by the home crowd, gave out a few more points than maybe necessary, but if I understood at Sochi, that judges are human, then I can hardly deny that now, can I?

The best two skaters are currently leading, while Ashley should be closer and it is a very difficult result, for skaters and fans, but also me.

If you see Gracie skate, then you see a woman, just like with Ashley, but much stronger linking and footwork.
To base, a part of the PC´s on that, is about right in my books and wanted by the ISU, but we also need to consider that both Russians, Elena and Evgenia did not have a clean performance today.

Evgenia had a weird Flip and couldnt add her triple Toe and while she recovered and really nailed a Loop – toe later, it is a little error in the performance and build, a build that is so dominant and in peoples heads, that a mistake can be very costly, regarding the overall rating of the performance. A performance that for me, from home, looked a bit tight in general, the softness in her motion was not as present, as seen before. Her body, has changed, visibly and you need to give her credit, for not letting this influence her more than what we saw today. She is a strong kid and proved this today and should be proud of her performance.

Would the scores still be higher outside of the US, I think so, to me a two point gap at PC´s is a bit harsh, but I also agree, that Anna was the best Russian on ice today and on par with Gracie and Ashley, regarding PC´s and not a point behind.

Her jumps are super huge, her expression very different to the smiles or acting of the other skaters and very in character, I am very pleased that the judges loved Anna more this time, as she usually gets the cold shoulder by them.
That being said, she paid for not being an American, as her program was totally flawless and should be higher in performance and execution, as Gracie´s, who had an edge issue on the Flip and if we are strict and you all know how I love Gracie, then this is a reason to give her less than Anna, also because of the step sequence, which Anna had the best of today, for me.
Her attack and power, was there, she had a super strong expression and without looking at protocols, it was a four for me and also adds to the overall expression. It is very tricky and I was not at the ice rink, I did only see what the camera showed us, we should always remember this if we judge.

Ashley, has a less complex arrangement compared to Anna and Gracie for me, again I would had liked to see this reflected in the scores too. That being said, Ashley was a super lady today and the judges always give skaters at home a bonus, it always happens and it is to be expected and love it or hate it, we must treat everyone equal so either we always complain, or always accept such things. Overall, the placement is either way ok for me, but I do not like the big distance in points. It should all be much tighter if you ask me.

As for Elena, I can´t help it, but feel she was really a bit left alone on the ice today. Where was that crowd, that I so praised before the event? What happened to the Americans who support everyone? The standing ovations and claps, for the Americans, but the Russians? I felt a bit like in a cold war, maybe I exaggerate here, but the support just wasn´t there. You saw this already at the introduction, Evgenia was not really cheered at, or Elena and these two are top skaters with titles! What happend, to you guys at Boston? This, personally, disappointed me most, especially after the hate that Russian crowds usually get by American fans. If you felt, Russians were not supportive enough, why act the same? I just don´t understand this, these skaters, Satoko, Elena, Rika, Evgenia or Anna – they performed on a super high level, and some people actually browsed their smartphone during their skates. This is a no go people! It was worth a standing ovation, teddy bears, cremlins, flowers or whatever you had, but nope, nothing came – poor skaters ... I want to point out, however, there was a couple who had Russian, Latvian, Australian flags, thank you for that you made my day, so supportive. If it would had been ice dance, I would have thought that was Doris!

Anyways, what came true, however, is my call of " "the best Ladies field since years" as the ladies did that call, justice today. It is a pity, that in the end only three can take the medals. But if we talk about medals today, then we also have to give medals to skaters, who will not end up on the podium. My first medal contender is Niki Wories and she is such a textbook athlete for me.

When you see her in practice, she is really more cold than hot, so many falls, but she always get´s back on her feet and goes again. She want´s to be a winner and you see this in everything she does. Going to Canada, practicing 30 hours a week, jetting back and forth between NA and Europe, she shows what you can achieve, if you believe in yourself and fight every day for your dreams! She qualified as 24th and deserves to be among the best ladies on day two!

I wish, more skaters would have her charisma and strong will, you can achieve a lot if you believe and I am sure, its not easy for a dutch to be a figure skater, if your whole country is about speed skating or windmills, but she did her thing and it should teach especially young skaters a lesson, that no matter which country you are from, no matter what god given body or talent you have, hard work pays off at the end.
Similar can be said about Amy Lin, who competed for TPE, while being born in the US. It was her dream to be a skater on international level and she found a way. A way also Ivett found, a way to still smile and accept what happened today. Too often, skaters look like the end of the world is coming, if they failed at one competition and it´s so wrong. As a skater, you will have hundreds of competitions in your life, one missed opportunity is not worth a sad face. Sad inside, Dasa Grm was for sure, she came last, but did you see how she was selling her program today? At no point you would have thought, that this was the program and attitude of someone coming last.

All these mentioned, can teach young skaters a lot, a lot about confidence, strong will and a never ending fight on the ice, a fight that you must have to become a winner.

Same can be said about Anna of course, she is now on two with a huge performance, maybe the best of her life and of the day. It must have been hard throughout the season, to always be so underscored, never receiving what you deserved, struggling with nerves and the scoring, just because you are not a tiny little girl anymore or a super star that automatically get´s a bonus, a bonus which Mao for instance, didnt get at all today, for me understandable, for her fans a disaster. It just didnt come together for her today, the Axel just a double, the problem on the loop – it must reflect somewhere, no matter how much of a lady she was again, today. Her reaction was all we need, she understood why the score was low and this is always the best argument to discuss scores, skaters know best about what they deserved.

All skaters today, deserve my respect and gratititude for what they do to entertain us while giving us something to cheer on. If we look back at todays competition, then I believe that a lot that I was afraid of, happened, that I feel a lot with the Russians today, no matter, how happy I am about Gracie, as the Russians obviously knew that they were fighting a very difficult battle on American ice. While the crowd was not rude, they were not sensitive either and the judges were just humans who can be driven by emotions at times, which I understand as mentioned.

Is the result understandable, yes it is. Was it fair, I think it was questionable, but not unfair or "cheated" and I also think that nothing is lost or won yet. What made me a bit sad is how different mistakes were rated today, but I appreciated the fact that maturity was considered in the scores.

Gracie is supposed to win, the judging, her strong performance and the crowd will make sure that she can win. In the end, however, a lot is still in the balance and I really hope, that we will get a result that reflects the performance on ice and that the crowd will cheer them all equally, as a good skate deserves applause and standing ovations, no matter from whom it came.

If I had scored today, this would have been my top three, all within one point of each other, followed by Evgenia, Elena, Satoko and Mirai in close distance of not more than 5-6 points to the leader.

1. Anna
2. Gracie
3. Ashley

Mirai for me, was really incredible today, I loved everything about her performance, she sold that program beautifully and it is hard for me to understand, how she can only be a sub with such performances like we saw today.

I hope my little "review" which is not as complex as it will be at the end of Boston (small warning), is not too harsh and that I did not offend anyone. As I always say, I love them all and was greatly entertained, but I wish that all these doubts and "questions" wouldnt be there.

Thanks ladies and congratulations to Anna, Gracie, Gabby, Mirai and Ashley who were my top skaters of the day and I hope Elena, Rika, Satoko and Evgenia can strike back tomorrow and give these judges, no doubt about their qualities on ice, so that whoever beats them, must deliver a clean performance, so that we will have a winner based on performance and not human emotions. Very happy for Gracie, just sad that there is now the controversy about her scores, just like with Adelina at Sochi - so sad for a skater who wins or might win gold, if mistakes by others are seen as your fault, while you did nothing wrong and only skated your programs. Hopefully she can enjoy being the leader, Adelina and her are my super favorites, but I feel for the other skaters - I am so between two chairs, damn why can´t I be a Cactus, life would be easier then...

Gabby was ace, I just want to mention this! Alaine, don't be sad girl! :thumbsup: The Chinese was awesome, too!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Review #3 Anna Pogorilaya

Holy Freankin' Cow!!!! Spectacular.......If she fixes that flexed catch foot spin, I would have a hard time choosing between she and Gracie for the lead. What a performer!! Like Maria Butyrskaya, Anna proves that you don't need a cheesy smile to be effective as a performer. IMO, I think the spread between she and Gracie should be a little smaller. I can't believe how great these ladies were today.`

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's always been this way. In the 6.0 system the early skaters in the final group were never given the scores they deserved no matter how they skated because they needed to leave room for the final skaters. But there is no reason to do it in this system which is much more flexible and can move skaters up or down much easier then 6.0.

What makes it hard is that things are scored in quarter-point increments. If a judge gives Ashley a 9.5 on a PCS measure, there are only two marks better. It's not inconceivable that three women could have topped what Ashley put out there when she skated relatively early.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Oh, also, while everyone in the top 7 was overscored, Mirai was underscored. What a great performance.

DegrasMan

Rinkside
Wow, you read my mind!!!

Not at all. That mistake for Medvedeva would have always had her behind Gold! Triple Loop + Triple Toe is lower than Triple Flip + Triple Toe. So no possible way for her to be ahead of Gold especially with Gracie doing Triple Lutz+ Triple Toe!!

Lipea

Final Flight
What makes it hard is that things are scored in quarter-point increments. If a judge gives Ashley a 9.5 on a PCS measure, there are only two marks better. It's not inconceivable that three women could have topped what Ashley put out there when she skated relatively early.
Ashley had definitely the best performance of all I think. And her posture is better than Gracie's (no straight arms), program is better than Gracie's, and she was totally selling it. Aside from the fact that they were in different groups I don't understand why Ashley's PCS were scored less.

Lipea

Final Flight
Not at all. That mistake for Medvedeva would have always had her behind Gold! Triple Loop + Triple Toe is lower than Triple Flip + Triple Toe. So no possible way for her to be ahead of Gold especially with Gracie doing Triple Lutz+ Triple Toe!!

It is possible. Gracie had a ! on flip, LSp level 3, and plus her lutz was really about the same as Evgenia's flip. The fact that Medvedeva has a combination is the second half should have covered the difference between loop and lutz.

Eclair

Medalist
I'm so happy for my faves to skate fantastic short programms!!

ANNA!!!!!! I've been waiting since freaking Moldovian Cup to see her finally skate whose two gorgous programms cleanly!

Rika!!!! Clean short and intense performance :luv17: Loved her grit the first time I saw her and loved it tonight!

Ashley!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG :dance2:
now don't screw this up in the long! Keep in mind: you're still the underdog going into the free!

Mirai!!! So glad she did so well! LOVE that programm

Zijun!!!!!!!! :love: Beautiful! Simply stunning!

Now to what I didn't love so much .... the scoring ...

1. Gracie - totally overscored. Anna had way better performance, interpretation and execution than gracie. SS and Choreo are both about the same. Anna should have led in PCS.

2. Rika - a little underscored. should've gotten 70, especially lowballed in PCS

3. Zijun - underscored. Should be a little behind Rika. Zijun had 37!!! points in technical and only 28 in PCs :noshake: Her SS are on par with Elena, Evgenia and Rika. That was no 28pcs skate. At least give her 30!

4. The crowd. I'm sorry, but they seemed really reserved. Only cheering for the americans and politely clapping for even wonderful and intense performances of Anna, Elena and Rika. I mean, had that worlds been in Japan or Spain, people would have been on their feet when Anna entered that last spin. Instead, nobody in the first row even looked like they were enjoying the performance :rolleye:

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
Wow, incredible performances from all American ladies. To be honest, I wasn't expecting it, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise.