2019-20 ISU Championships Applications | Golden Skate

2019-20 ISU Championships Applications

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Canada is making a bid for the 2020 World Figure Skating Championships.

So anywhere in Canada that is not the West Coast, please and thanks.
(Vancouver has GPF18)

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Worlds in the UK please. By 2020, it will have been 25 years. And it will be easy for me to travel there from Ireland of course. And that's all that matters. :handw:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Anywhere in Europe. UK would be great! (Barcelona would be Perfect!)
But since we are already hosting 2017 and 2018, I guess NA has a good chance.

Miller

Final Flight
Worlds in the UK please. By 2020, it will have been 25 years. And it will be easy for me to travel there from Ireland of course. And that's all that matters. :handw:

London, O2 Arena (where the men's ATP Tour Finals are). Grand Prix Final, run up to Christmas. 2 groups of skaters per event. Stop it - I'm dreaming!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
This seems to be only for Championships. Has the GPF location been determined already for that season?

Speaking of which, where will two of the next season's GP events be located, anyway? Is France still hosting one of them? And where will the Russian GP be moved to? From what I've seen in this forum, they're not going to be hosting GP events anymore, or so it seems.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sydney, Australia!

Qudos Bank Arena in the Olympic Park regularly holds ice events, it should convert well for a World-standard arena.

Come to Worlds in Australia! Explore our beautiful country. The world's most famous beach is not far, easily accessible by public transit and quality hotels just a stone's throw away. All the major cities within two hours' flight from Sydney or, for the more scenic route, opt to take a train or drive our glorious coastlines. With warm weather in the early autumn, enjoy our great outdoors and swim our pristine beaches! See our unique flora and fauna in its most natural setting, rather than just in a zoo! Experience the warm welcome and famous Australian hospitality. Contribute to the growth of a sport Australians are all too ready to embrace! Rare home ice for Team Australia AND the once-in-a-career opportunity for most international skaters to perform here in front of adoring crowds. Don't miss out!

:2thumbs:

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
It can't be USA. A half of the competitors may not be able to compete there because they would not be allowed to come into the country!

you are right. I have fish memory :eek:::palmf:, I just lost my connecting flight in december because I spend almost 4 hours at control passport/migration at Houston :sad46: :angry1:. So, I change my mind, I want Canada.

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Europeans in Vienna would be nice :thumbsup:

Most Junior Worlds in the past years were held in Europe, and with the exception of this season, in 2018 and 2019 it will also be on the old continent. My guess is that it will be somewhere in Asia/America.

If Canada is making a bid for Worlds, then I think they have a very good chance to organise it.

4CC Australia maybe? ;)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
London, O2 Arena (where the men's ATP Tour Finals are). Grand Prix Final, run up to Christmas. 2 groups of skaters per event. Stop it - I'm dreaming!
UK, yes please :-D But London, NO THANKS :-/

(London stinks. Everything too crowded, too expensive, public transport is dirty, inefficient, overpriced and under the thumb of a hostile and belligerent militant union. I lived there once, never again)

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
UK, yes please :-D But London, NO THANKS :-/

(London stinks. Everything too crowded, too expensive, public transport is dirty, inefficient, overpriced and under the thumb of a hostile and belligerent militant union. I lived there once, never again)

:rolleye: London hosted the most successful major sporting event of the last decade, maybe even longer than that. But don't worry, you won't be missed when you don't come.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
:rolleye: London hosted the most successful major sporting event of the last decade, maybe even longer than that.
Yeah, in spite of being in London...

As a reply to my post, your comment is illogical and irrelevant:
London being stinky, crowded, expensive etc doesn't prevent people running successful events there.
And running successful events there, doesn't make London any less stinky, crowded, expensive etc...

But don't worry, you won't be missed when you don't come.
How childish.

And what makes you think I wouldn't go?
I would simply wish they'd chosen somewhere else.
Just like I went to Marseille GPF, while wishing they'd chosen somewhere else...

Last edited:

lyverbird1

Final Flight

Excellent idea! Pre Christmas in London. Skating and Christmas perusing in the city. It may be "expensive and dirty" but it's still a marvellous city full of character and delights.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Which City would you like to see host- dream locations

Easiest. Question. EVER!!!

• ISU European Figure Skating Championships (January 20-26, 2020): Dundonald, NIR

• ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships (February 3-9, 2020): Dundonald, NIR

• ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 2-8, 2020): Dundonald, NIR

• ISU World Figure Skating Championships (March 23-29, 2020): Dundonald, NIR

If we put in for everything, we might get something!!! :laugh:

(And, yes, I know we're not eligible for Four Continents. That's part of the joke! ;) :biggrin: )

Seriously, though, I would like to see the Majors go somewhere other than the traditional figure skating countries.

And, apart from the continent specific Europeans, I would like to see them go to continents that have never hosted Major ISU Championships before.

So, here are my choices.

• ISU European Figure Skating Championships (January 20-26, 2020): Dundonald, NIR (hosted British Chamionships in 2001)

• ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships (February 3-9, 2020): Ushuaia, ARG

• ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships (March 2-8, 2020): Cape Town, ZAF (hosted a Junior GP in 2008)

• ISU World Figure Skating Championships (March 23-29, 2020): Melbourne, VIC (hosted Australian Championships in 2010, 2013, and 2016)

In case you are wondering why I chose Melbourne (Victoria), rather than Brisbane (Queensland) which hosted the 2011 Junior Grand Prix and will host another next season, or Sydney (New South Wales) which hosted the 2013 Skate Down Under Senior B, it is because Queensland and New South Wales tend to get everything when it comes to figure skating. As well as the international events already mentioned, these two states have hosted the vast majority of Australian Championships over the past 20 years.

So, I felt that if Victoria got a Major ISU Championship, it would help even up the bragging rights! ;) :biggrin:

And for those of you wondering why on Earth I chose Ushuaia for Four Continents, there are a number of reasons:

1. There has never been an international figure skating competition in South America.

2. Having a Major ISU Championship in Argentina might persuade Denis Margalik to come out of retirement.

3. Ushuaia, the capital of the Argentine part of Tierra del Fuego (the largest island in South America), has an Olympic sized ice rink.

4. I am curious to see how the skaters would cope with an outdoor rink... :devil:

CaroLiza_fan

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
[*]ISU World Figure Skating Championships (March 23-29, 2020): Melbourne, VIC (hosted Australian Championships in 2010, 2013, and 2016)
[/LIST]

In case you are wondering why I chose Melbourne (Victoria), rather than Brisbane (Queensland) which hosted the 2011 Junior Grand Prix and will host another next season, or Sydney (New South Wales) which hosted the 2013 Skate Down Under Senior B, it is because Queensland and New South Wales tend to get everything when it comes to figure skating. As well as the international events already mentioned, these two states have hosted the vast majority of Australian Championships over the past 20 years.

The rink at Docklands could not support Worlds - it doesn't have enough seating. I'm not sure where in Melbourne has an adequate arena to host it.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
The rink at Docklands could not support Worlds - it doesn't have enough seating. I'm not sure where in Melbourne has an adequate arena to host it.

Fair enough.

I'm not there, so I don't know what it is like in reality. I'm restricted by what I can find on the internet. So, it's good to know the opinions of somebody in the country.

Although, given that it is only recently built, you would have thought that the owners would have had some ambition and would have made it big enough to support big events... :rolleye:

What are the facilities like in the rinks on the East Coast? Would any of them be able to cope?

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: