2017 Jr Worlds Free Dance | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2017 Jr Worlds Free Dance

rosy14

Final Flight
Like they didn't make serious mistakes in both the SD and FD.

Meanwhile the list of Russian dancers who couldn't transition successfully to senior is as long as my arm - Yanovskaya/Mozgov, Zenkova/Sinitsin, Sinitsina/Zhiganshin, Stepanova/Bukin, Pushkash/Guerrerro, Monko/Khaliavin etc etc

To be honest, Monko got injurd and retired, Stepanova/ Bukin are not the gold winners as Papdakis/Cizeron, but can end this season in the first 10 at Worlds.

rosy14

Final Flight
Alla is not so terrible like Alexandra.

I beg to differ: I find Alla gross, heavy, not refined, sloppy, and not as beautiful as Alexandra. And this is a sport in which beauty has a value.
However if Pavel stays strong and improves, Alla's defects can be masked, especially with a suitable choreo, as in some senior couples. Always better to have a strong male than a strong female, in a dance pair.

Barb

Record Breaker
I beg to differ: I find Alla gross, heavy, not refined, sloppy, and not as beautiful as Alexandra. And this is a sport in which beauty has a value.
However if Pavel stays strong and improves, Alla's defects can be masked, especially with a suitable choreo, as in some senior couples. Always better to have a strong male than a strong female, in a dance pair.

Don´t you feel bad about yourself for thinking like this?

I don´t know, in spanish gross (asqueroso/repugnante) is a very strong and offensive adjective. Referring to people I think I only used it talking about rapists. But my english is not very good. Maybe I am misunderstanding.

And to think that Alexandra should to get better score because she is pretty :rolleye::disapp:

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I don´t know, in spanish gross (asqueroso/repugnante) is a very strong and offensive adjective. Referring to people I think I only used it talking about rapists. But my english is not very good. Maybe I am misunderstanding.

And to think that Alexandra should to get better score because she is pretty :rolleye::disapp:

I think in this context it means dismissively unattractive, although I'm not sure if rosy14 is referring to her general appearance or unappealing qualities as a skater.

Not that's it's a nice thing to say, but it isn't quite the adjective that would be used in English to describe a rapist.

"Gross" would be much too mild of an adjective (in English) to describe a rapist.

Well, on second thought, I'm fairly certain she's referring to her lack of personal beauty... in rosy's opinion.

rosy14

Final Flight

Gross, not well refined, not so elegant, not so fine, as a skater of course, not as girl. The way she skates. That was what I meant.
I didn't say Alexandra should get more points because she's beautiful. I say that in a sport in which the appearance on ice too counts, she can have an advantage on Alla.

Last edited:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
So happy for the Parsons' well-deserved win. Such a mesmerizing, soft, fluid, moving FD beautifully performed (regardless of the less than perfect ending lift). Bravo!

truthbooth

On the Ice
So I'm very new to ice dance. Can anyone clarify how Lorraine and Quinn finished 7th this year after winning last? I'm shocked to see them so low. How could they have regressed so much?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So I'm very new to ice dance. Can anyone clarify how Lorraine and Quinn finished 7th this year after winning last? ...

As a fan of Lorraine and Quinn, I will say first that no matter what was going on with them this year, other couples independently were showing improvement.

For example, Lajoie/Lagha earned 20 points more this year at Junior Worlds compared to last year. Moved up to 6th place from 13th.

And another way of looking at it: A score of 148.11 would have meant 4th place at 2016 Junior Worlds.
Would have been ahead of Pogrebinsky/Benoit, who moved up to seniors this year and did very well.
148.11 this year meant 7th place for L/Q at 2017 Junior Worlds.​

Meanwhile, L/Q's skating this season had errors and inconsistency ... and obviously did not meet their own usual high standards. They just never hit their stride this season :(.

I am no expert on junior ice dance, but I don't know whether anyone can definitively "clarify" beyond those broad observations. [Other than referring you to the protocols.]

As I said in another thread, many hugs to Lorraine and Quinn :ghug:. Hope they come back strong next season.

Hearty congratulations to Rachel and Michael. I'm very happy for them.
Will repeat myself and note again that they are the first siblings to win Junior Worlds in ice dance :yay:. (AFAIK.)

Congratulations also to Alla and Pavel, and to Christina and Anthony.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Gross, not well refined, not so elegant, not so fine, as a skater of course, not as girl. The way she skates. That was what I meant.
I didn't say Alexandra should get more points because she's beautiful. I say that in a sport in which the appearance on ice too counts, she can have an advantage on Alla.

thanks for the clarification but so, I don´t understand how you can see more refined to Alexandra?, Alexandra is more sloppy in general, her posture, her lines are worse. Alla has better skating skills too.

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Ice dance in US post-2018 will be very interesting (assuming that the current top 3 teams retire, which they very well might not). Between Parsons, M/C, and H/B, Parsons seem to be the best at consistency and improving every season. Their FD here was extraordinary, better choreographed than some senior programs.

Giselle

Medalist
If C/P win Junior Worlds next year, which they have a good chance to, I expect they'll move to seniors in 2018-2019. The beginning of a quad is the ideal time to turn seniors IMO.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Well deserved victory for Parsons siblings! I was impressed by their mastery, beautiful choreography and difficult, technical content that they delivered with lightness and accuracy. Lots of intricacy, and wide variety of dancing holds also made them stand out.

Transitions were also complicated but they made it look so fluid so kudos for them. Their hard work pays off!

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I just had a chance to catch up on junior Ice Dance and I am over the moon for Rachel and Michael, way to finish a great season and junior chapter of their competitive carrer!:cheer:

For me, they are an excellent example of right approach taken for their situation, abilities and personalities, being siblings team. I really love the impression they create on ice - they look very mature and sophisticated already for me, embodying strong basics, speed, detailed, finished movement (Michael in patricular, I'm a big fan of his skating alone:love:) with that 'now', fresh vibe around them. This season's stuff is a perfect illustration of that - with them, the most important for me is the way their skill is presented, not the exact amount of it. They create a feel of easiness watching them and tey cause an excitement too in my opinion - there's always someting new, innovative, vivid in their skating, presentation, no room for being generic or repetitive. Another great thing in them is that they're still probing new styles, are not afraid of getting out of their 'comfort zone' if there'a any of that at all, because of their ability to adapt to various styles quite succesfully. Seeing them, I see a strong, prominent partership, unison, determination, great expression, confidence, not this 'being siblings in ID' stupid prejudice. They are the best extension of each other on ice and I just love his partnering and presentation skills, he reminds me with that a lot of Paul Porier - with his versatility, great skating skills, strenght, being so flexible with any material. I hope they'll continue to grow, get experience and progress, strong hope for successful and bold senior debut season, they sure have potential to rock out that Latin theme!

And few words on Christina and Anthony - chapeaux bas guys! This is another reat story there of growth, being patient and consequent with doing their thing. He is just stellar to look at and sure inherited dancer blood from his parents - the way he stands, express, feel the music and present himself and his partner is amazing at that age. She sure have work to do with her lines and posture and the whole partnership has to gel more, have better 'understanding',more organic, natural flow in it, but as I grown to like Alexandra Stepanova with her posture/lines issues as her partnership with Ivan Bukin blossomed, I appreciate Christina's efforts and hope for more. The whole Stepanova/Bukin similarity is there for me - at first I thought that Anthony and Christina are kind of mismatched, too big difference in skill level and movement, but with all hard work they put together it is growing on me.

rosy14

Final Flight
thanks for the clarification but so, I don´t understand how you can see more refined to Alexandra?, Alexandra is more sloppy in general, her posture, her lines are worse. Alla has better skating skills too.

Well, this is your opinion. Next year they will compete head to head, so we shall compare the two of them directly.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Well deserved victory for Parsons siblings! I was impressed by their mastery, beautiful choreography and difficult, technical content that they delivered with lightness and accuracy. Lots of intricacy, and wide variety of dancing holds also made them stand out.

Transitions were also complicated but they made it look so fluid so kudos for them. Their hard work pays off!

Mastery and accuracy? Not in the last lift.

Bcash

Final Flight
that's what i saw too but we don't really see the feet... and then all i ended up looking at is when she was trying to find her groove and was pretty much poking his eyes with her fingers due to the effect of the small wobbles lol... i have no idea how they managed this without major trouble...

I think the slo-mo replay showed his feet during that lift. There was definitely one wobble that messed up the whole thing but I thought it looked slightly better than what I thought occurred during the actual competition.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Mastery and accuracy? Not in the last lift.

Oh don't be so grumpy. Obviously I did not overlook that error but they did great to save it and make it count. I meant accuracy in gliding, doing steps etc. that I was impressed with. My post was not meant to aim at evaluating everything they did. I neither had desire or time for that, just wanted to share my positive two cents instead of picking up error that many others before me already pointed out and analyzed ad nauseam. Oooh. It's not that difficult to guess. If you want I can make asterisk for you and edit my post to add - (bar this one bobble on lift) but I can't be bothered.

Last edited:

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
well, everyone speak wonders about Ruslena and especially Elena and they are not even in the top 10, so a top 10 does not sound so bad after all.

:dbana:

Somebody's not pulling any punches, I see.

Also, this trend of tearing the russian girls down - by the fans of Russian ID even - because they are not as good as some other girls is tiring. I'd say it's time to move on, but on GS that never happens.

jaylee

Medalist
And few words on Christina and Anthony - chapeaux bas guys! This is another reat story there of growth, being patient and consequent with doing their thing. He is just stellar to look at and sure inherited dancer blood from his parents - the way he stands, express, feel the music and present himself and his partner is amazing at that age. She sure have work to do with her lines and posture and the whole partnership has to gel more, have better 'understanding',more organic, natural flow in it, but as I grown to like Alexandra Stepanova with her posture/lines issues as her partnership with Ivan Bukin blossomed, I appreciate Christina's efforts and hope for more. The whole Stepanova/Bukin similarity is there for me - at first I thought that Anthony and Christina are kind of mismatched, too big difference in skill level and movement, but with all hard work they put together it is growing on me.

Agree with your assessment on Christina and Anthony. There was never a guarantee that any of Klimova and Ponomorenko's kids were going to have any of their talents, but Anthony really does have star quality. Hope he and Christina continue to grow and develop as a pair--the future of US ice dance seems to be getting brighter every day!

skatemd1

On the Ice
If one were to only read the comments, you would have thought the Parsons fell on a lift or something. It was a bit sloppy in execution, but it was still a completed and done level 4 rotational lift. There was no stumble or fall in the entrance, middle, or exit. In fact, their sloppy lift looked as good as some parts of L/L's lifts.

Totally agree, their lift was downgraded on GOE as it should have been, but they did not stop their rotation or stumble. It looked level 4 with minus GOE to me, and that is what the judges thought too. Like most other posts above, look at the rest of that skate and how nearly perfect it was, with one slightly sloppy moment, compared to a Russian team that was just a little bit sloppy by comparison the whole way through. The irony is, if they had nailed that lift like P/P usually have done this year, their score would have been close to 100 and no one would be having any conversation about this other than wow, what a phenomenal program. It was! Loved it and looking forward to more from them at Senior.