2017-18 State of Russian Men's skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Men's skating

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I, too, like Petrov as a skater and think his programs are :scratch2:

My fantasy: have Misha Ge choreograph for Petrov

I thought he did already...he is listed as one of the choreographers for the Sinatra program and I thought he was doing new programs for this season. But for some bizarre reason his programs were scrapped? I have to wonder if Mishin really believes in this guy or if he is trying to subconsciously ruin him with the dreadful packaging season after season. There is just nothing about him that stands out, I'm afraid. Well, I guess this new SP has people finally talking about him, but not in the right way...

nimi

Medalist
I thought he did already...he is listed as one of the choreographers for the Sinatra program and I thought he was doing new programs for this season. But for some bizarre reason his programs were scrapped?
:eek:

Well, Liza had Lambiel choreograph for her and ended up with a program that was 1% Lambiel and 99% Mishin so I guess I shouldn't be surprised... :slink:

s_parks

Record Breaker
I'm pretty convinced Mishin has something against Petrov at this point...how do you take a kid, get him to land consistent 3As at, what 14? Then a couple years later, he can do maybe 1 quad in competition, and then give him horrible packaging year after year. He may not be a superstar but his skating is hardly like that of kovtun or samarin. I fear for gumennik.

nimi

Medalist
Or Mishin is just 100% convinced that he knows what's best for his skaters, both when it comes to jump technique (where you could say his position is justified and correct) but also when it comes to packaging (where it's... debatable), and nothing anybody else says is going to make him think otherwise...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I'm pretty convinced Mishin has something against Petrov at this point...how do you take a kid, get him to land consistent 3As at, what 14? Then a couple years later, he can do maybe 1 quad in competition, and then give him horrible packaging year after year. He may not be a superstar but his skating is hardly like that of kovtun or samarin. I fear for gumennik.

Gumennik switched coaches already. His new coach doesn't have much of an established track record, but the way Mishin's skaters have been doing lately, I don't think it is a bad thing. Yes, he has a great legacy that will never be taken away, but this is another era and I am not sure he ever fully adapted, or that he even cares to at this point.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
If I become a GS supporter I get access to archived threads, right?

You can actually access the archives again without being a GS Supporter. The admins changed the permissions a while ago.

s_parks

Record Breaker
Gumennik switched coaches already. His new coach doesn't have much of an established track record, but the way Mishin's skaters have been doing lately, I don't think it is a bad thing. Yes, he has a great legacy that will never be taken away, but this is another era and I am not sure he ever fully adapted, or that he even cares to at this point.

Didn't know that, glad to hear. His carriage and presence is lovely, and it would be a shame if that was ignored. I wish Petrov would too, he's still quite young for a men's singles skater. Oh well.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
well Petrov's SP was reportedly lauded @ the test skates so its not only Mishin :biggrin:
everybody approved of that:rofl:
its good for gifs at least :slink:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
"Worth watching/discussing" is entirely subjective. If you don't want to discuss them then why come here and comment at all? Why can't we talk about all of the promising young men instead of being dismissive, while any 13-year-old Russian girl with promise gets fawned over. And I don't understand what Yuzuru has to do with anything here. There is only one Yuzuru. If a skater's worth is only measured in how similar they are to Yuzuru, then 99% of all male skaters will fail the test. And the same goes for Plushenko. There can never be another Plushenko, his time has come and gone.

Do you only care about a skater if they are winning everything right and left? I don't. I care about skaters who are talented (in my subjective opinion, of course) and trying their best. Gracie hasn't won a thing in two years but enough people seem to care about her that she constantly gets new threads devoted to her. And god forbid if anyone says one negative word against her. I know you are a Liza fan - do you think she is worthless now that she is not at her peak and will probably not make it to the Olys?

To begin with, I am a well-educated grown-up, so I will try to avoid choosing the word "stupid" or "disgusting" to relieve my emotions here.

The reason I came here is because I'm concerned about the State of the Russian Senior men's. Is this a convincing one? Since this thread is in the Edge, the discussion imo should be more or less inclusive instead of being exclusive. Given that we are from different backgrounds with different mindset, is it possible/logical to always keep the talk on the same track as you wished?

Many Russian skaters love to talk big and create dramas outside the arena, and that is why Yuzuru was mentioned here. Such big talk sounds really intolerable to me, but it is pointless to reveal his name right here right now.

My lack of interest for many other skaters does not imply that they are worthless. Absolutely Not! Their value lies in their skating, and their day after day, year after year of hard work at the icerink can never be denied & ignored by anyone, including me.

As for Liza, aside from her big jumps, to me, her most appealing quality is her sunny character, unlike some over-hyped "Icon". Even though she could not make the Olympic team in the end, I would not see it as the end of the world, because living the way she loves is much more important than the medals of any color.

If you do think positive comments are more welcome & helpful here, I have no problem.

LRK

Record Breaker
well Petrov's SP was reportedly lauded @ the test skates so its not only Mishin :biggrin:
everybody approved of that:rofl:
its good for gifs at least :slink:

Exactly. Team Mishin & the Rus fed. They actually LAUDED it, though?! Oh, well, they also presumably liked Tarasova/Morozov's LP, so, I suppose there's little else to say...

viennaskater

Medalist
Oh, well, they also presumably liked Tarasova/Morozov's LP, so, I suppose there's little else to say...

Are you referring to T/M's NEW LP? Haven't seen it yet, but I like them, so I am hoping it will not disappoint ... loved their LP from last season.

viennaskater

Medalist
As a Petrov fan I want to warn you though - if you haven't seen his SP this year it is... well... terrible. The music cuts/choices are mindboggling, incomprehensible and unlistenable. I think the only people in the world who could possibly like it must be located at Team Mishin and the Rus fed, unfortunately. Just so you are warned...

OK, I watched it last night and I see what you mean. It doesn't exactly do him many favours. However, I love his style.

LRK

Record Breaker
Are you referring to T/M's NEW LP? Haven't seen it yet, but I like them, so I am hoping it will not disappoint ... loved their LP from last season.

I'm afraid so. I like them also. Their new LP is a... medley of "boogie-woogie" music. I hope you like it better than I do - I really do.

OK, I watched it last night and I see what you mean. It doesn't exactly do him many favours. However, I love his style.

I love his style also, which is why I feel so... frustrated at this SP. I mute the music and am trying various other songs with it instead - that is how I'm trying to cope.:)

vorravorra

Record Breaker
You're right about Menshov and Voronov although it's not just about RusFed, judges in general never gave them the high marks.

Voronov worked really hard with Eteri going into Euro 2014 and then the 2014-15 season, but judges always pushed him aside at the first mistake. What he has achieved was a result of consistency when the others failed.

It's an Anna Pogorilaya situation.

While Kolyada still has a chance because he's super inconsistent but when he skates clean or even cleanish performances, judges reward him for his flawless technique and his good artistry. We'll see Aliev, Samarin so far not great results in seniors.
Samarin is still not fully recovered from an injury. And now Kovtun is not on the list for Skate Canada any more, presumably also due to his injury :eek:hwell: And of course Aliev had to withdraw from ONM. We are going to run out of men at this rate.

http://www.isu.org/docman-documents-links/isu-files/event-documents/figure-skating-4/2017-18-6/gp-6/series-files-10/entries/7516-gp-men/file

gmyers

Record Breaker

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well then that's it! Plushenko will return for Russian nationals.

as a coach ;) I hope

:laugh: Plushyfan's got the right idea, although imagining the look on the haters' faces would be make me laugh for a year!

But! Let us not forget Sergei! He did pretty well at Nepela and is the last Russian Grandpa standing! I think he deserves a chance and its a shame the Russian Fed is always overlooking him. :(

Here's hoping though!

Weathergal

Medalist
:laugh: Plushyfan's got the right idea, although imagining the look on the haters' faces would be make me laugh for a year!

But! Let us not forget Sergei! He did pretty well at Nepela and is the last Russian Grandpa standing! I think he deserves a chance and its a shame the Russian Fed is always overlooking him. :(

Here's hoping though!

Agreed - I would not be unhappy if the Russian men's Olympic team were Kolyada and Voronov. I like both of them and their own unique styles, and what a redemption story that would be for Sergei!