New Sasha article | Golden Skate

New Sasha article

Lucy25

Final Flight
I wonder why Sasha wanted to skate alone for a whole month? She had missed so much time due to vacations previous to that, that it seems really odd. I think Robin needs to stop mentioning the quad. It's starting to sound really silly.

jesslily

Final Flight
It seems thaht Robin Wagner always just teaches one elite student, before it was Sarah, and now Sasha. No matter how great the chemistry is, it's hard for two people spend so many hours together every day, especially competitive skating is so stressful. Even husband and wife don't have such amount of time together during the day. I think it's understandable that Sasha wanted having time alone.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Why do I get the feeling that something very odd is going to happen this season? :D

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Maybe if something odd happens it will get people more interested and sponsors will be more likely to pay to put it on tv, etc.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Red Dog said:
Why do I get the feeling that something very odd is going to happen this season? :D

Why I have the same feeling?

Sasha is not Sarah, Robin coached Sarah when she was young, and during the period of Sarah's mom recovering from Cancer, I believed they were really close. Naturally Robin would call the shot. Sasha came to Robin as an adault, and she has been known to head strong. With one season semi successful, finally won a medal at world, you never know what stew in the pot..

LBC

On the Ice
According to Sasha's journal that month on her own was between May and June. She went on vacation in the middle of that time. This is when all the Sasha left Robin rumors were swirling. They were having ice time problems in Hackensack if I recall. Someone in Wayne, NJ said that Sasha was there in early May because they having problems with ice time in Hackensack and talk that they might train the summer there. She mentioned the ice time problems herself in a journal in late May.

Quote from Sasha's May 30th journal entry.

I’m skating in Newington until we finalize our plans for our move to New York. We’re trying to find some quality ice time for training. Times are tough and there’s not much time available. But we’re working on several possibilities.

I think it was just a case of Sasha just finding a place to live but it not being ready yet and ice time problems in Hackensack. We know that Sasha had ice time issues in Califorina so that is a sore point with her. Instead of rink hopping in NY/NJ where she had no place to live other than a hotel or Robin's she decided to stay in Conn. where she got more ice time and worked with Morosov which is where all those rumors came from. I assume that Robin could have gone to Conn. if she wanted to. She went on vacation in early June and then went to Hackensack at the end of June to train according to another journal entry. Trained in July where she reportly go sick with some virus according to BOI. Then had that adverse medication reaction like the article said. Then went to Detroit in late July for Marina and Igor to do the choreography for her LP. Trained all August and moving at the same time. Then went to Sun Valley at the end of August for the show and stayed there for a week where she broke in new boots. Then training all Sept.

We know that Sasha opted to use other choreographers than Robin. That had to be a hit to Robin's ego. She had to decide to just coach Sasha or lose her.
We'll see how things go this year.

jesslily

Final Flight
By the time Sarah reached or not yet adulthood, she was head strong too. After Olympic she would not listen to Robin getting back to training just stay in shape. And by the time Sasha switched to Robin, Sarah and Robin had not talked to each other for a year.
Few Sasha' journals showed they were close too. for a while she lived at Robin's house. They had dinners together...

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
there is no doubt that robin is a tough coach, but i also get the sense that she is very loving with her students. i wonder, however, if all of that is a front...it appeared she was very loving with sarah, but when sarah made her decision, they just seemed to sever all ties. in my experience, if you really love someone, you can't really sever ties like that...

Not unlike other figure skaters, Sasha has to do what she has to do to fulfil her skating goals. What she does, should entirely be her own doing. It is not unlike Peter looking for the best way to get to the Olys, or Michelle back a few years when she left Frank and actually sat in the kiss and cry with her father or Illia coming to America to train, etc., etc.

Whether these moves were good or bad we can only assume the answer after the competitions.

This will probably be Sasha's last Olys. She's entitled to do what she thinks is best for her. But we can certainly ponder hers and other skater's decisions, and we know we will not agree. ;)

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
thisthingcalledlove said:
it appeared she was very loving with sarah, but when sarah made her decision, they just seemed to sever all ties. in my experience, if you really love someone, you can't really sever ties like that...
It depends on how you look at it. When you really love someone, the hurt can go much deeper. If someone that you just have a professional relationship with tells you to mind your own business, you may continue to have a semi-friendly professional relationship. When someone you love does it, it becomes personal.

Joesitz said:
Not unlike other figure skaters, Sasha has to do what she has to do to fulfil her skating goals. What she does, should entirely be her own doing.
Who does she think she is, deciding for herself? I thought it was all of us fans who could make her decisions for her! After all, we'll be the ones watching her succeed or fail! :laugh:

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
It depends on how you look at it. When you really love someone, the hurt can go much deeper. If someone that you just have a professional relationship with tells you to mind your own business, you may continue to have a semi-friendly professional relationship. When someone you love does it, it becomes personal.

:

That's so true.