NBC figure skating low ratings | Golden Skate

NBC figure skating low ratings

This is sad. They made sure that it was aired prime time for the US, and it still didn't work out.

Not unexpected though. The US just doesn't care about FS anymore.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Americans generally don't care about things that they don't do well. I'm sure the ratings would have been much higher if Hanyu were an American.

arewhyaen

On the Ice
Nothing to be worried about. People consume media differently now. However, Mirai Nagasu, Nathan Chen, and (especially) Adam Rippon have dominated the headlines, twitter, instagram, the news cycle. People may not be watching the olympics on their televisions, but theyre consuming the olympics in different ways. I, for example, have been watching online. I'm sure many others are doing that as well.

brightphoton

Medalist
I walked away from my TV too, and other NBC broadcasts. It's because they randomly jump from sport to sport and you never know when anything is going to appear, and you can't follow anything. It's so random and jarring.

8 pm: It's FIGURE SKATING TIME, come folks, get yer figure skating. It's a figure skater, watch it!

-show one program-

8:10: ok that's enough FIGURE SKATING, now it's time for -insert random winter sport-

8:30: Lindsay Vonn reminiscences with her Grandpa about the Korean War. Not sure how this increases goodwill, since it implies he killed Koreans, but eh, there's nothing better to show. It's not like Vincent Zhou is skating at *that very moment*

9:00: Lindsay does skiing

9:25: Lindsay feels bad about placement interview

9:30: tribute to Bob Costcas

9:45: luge snowboarding

10:00: snow shoe hunting

10:30 pm: Whoa that was a great figure skating competition folks, and now BACK TO FIGURE SKATING

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
Ratings would be high in Australia if our local network wasn't crap! I had to watch most of the mens on live stream yesterday as they decided to show other stuff and not realising that figure skating is one of the big ticket events of the Olympics...

brightphoton

Medalist
Nothing to be worried about. People consume media differently now. However, Mirai Nagasu, Nathan Chen, and (especially) Adam Rippon have dominated the headlines, twitter, instagram, the news cycle. People may not be watching the olympics on their televisions, but theyre consuming the olympics in different ways. I, for example, have been watching online. I'm sure many others are doing that as well.

Oh yeah, I'm not making the mistake of watching TV again. It's the NBC app for me. Uninterrupted sports, and no Tara and Johnny

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The two biggest problems for NBC figure skating viewing especially during the Olympics is Johnny and Tara, and that they skip from one sport to the next and then back and fluff in there too. Give us figure skating uninterrupted on one channel without J and T and we'll see how the ratings do. Until they do that their ratings are going to be in the trash.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Americans generally don't care about things that they don't do well. I'm sure the ratings would have been much higher if Hanyu were an American.

Uhmmmm NBC is part of the reason why Nathan/Hanyu aren't back-to-back on the podium. They've created a vicious cycle for both the sport and the athletes who they are suffocating with their pressure. :scratch2:

Also, NBC can get better commentators if they wants higher ratings. C'mon.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I walked away from my TV too, and other NBC broadcasts. It's because they randomly jump from sport to sport and you never know when anything is going to appear, and you can't follow anything. It's so random and jarring.

8 pm: It's FIGURE SKATING TIME, come folks, get yer figure skating. It's a figure skater, watch it!

-show one program-

8:10: ok that's enough FIGURE SKATING, now it's time for -insert random winter sport-

8:30: Lindsay Vonn reminiscences with her Grandpa about the Korean War. Not sure how this increases goodwill, since it implies he killed Koreans, but eh, there's nothing better to show. It's not like Vincent Zhou is skating at *that very moment*

10:30 pm: Whoa that was a great figure skating competition folks, and now BACK TO FIGURE SKATING

It's always been like that ever since I can remember. I'm also grateful for the livestream, but I wonder how much $ they make on the livestream.

- - - Updated - - -

The two biggest problems for NBC figure skating viewing especially during the Olympics is Johnny and Tara, and that they skip from one sport to the next and then back and fluff in there too. Give us figure skating uninterrupted on one channel without J and T and we'll see how the ratings does. Until they do that their ratings are going to be in the trash.

But they have done that. It's just that it is on NBCSN. Which I would think would be included in the ratings.

steiner

Rinkside
Olympic ratings have been falling pretty consistently since Sochi. People simply don't watch TV like they used to, and I also think that not having a dominant ladies skater hurts. For better or worse, women's skating has always been much more popular with the general public than men's, and it doesn't help when our top medal hope put himself out of medal contention early on.

Proxy

On the Ice
People don't like the programs and the corrupt judging. There is too much taint from Sochi scandal and IJS. The men's competition has too many errors and the ladies competition has horrific programs. The artistry is gone.

Pairs and dance are where it's at right now, but they are never as popular as individual men's and ladies events.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

-show one program-

Sounds like you were watching NBC instead of NBCSN which broadcast all of the men’s FS.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Uhmmmm NBC is part of the reason why Nathan/Hanyu aren't back-to-back on the podium. They've created a vicious cycle for both the sport and the athletes who they are suffocating with their pressure. :scratch2:

Hanyu isn't under pressure? He's treated like a god in Japan. :scratch2:

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
It's always been like that ever since I can remember. I'm also grateful for the livestream, but I wonder how much $ they make on the livestream.

- - - Updated - - -

But they have done that. It's just that it is on NBCSN. Which I would think would be included in the ratings.

But people said that NBCSN isn't showing all of the skating, 4-5 men were missed last night. Also, tara and johnny are still on that feed.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
People don't like the programs and the corrupt judging. There is too much taint from Sochi scandal and IJS. The men's competition has too many errors and the ladies competition has horrific programs. The artistry is gone.

Pairs and dance are where it's at right now, but they are never as popular as individual men's and ladies events.

Lol...sounds like you might be projecting you’re own view here onto others. Lots of my friends texted me that they’ve enjoyed the skating events and the commentary. Keep in mind I always talk about the sport in a positive light so I may have conditioned those around me to do the same :think:

I’d say most of my non skating friends have a positive view of Tara and Johnny. Only on GS do I have to deal with negative spamming about them :laugh2:

I think NBC is doing a great job and they’ve been showing and talking about skating as much as any other sport.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, NBC can get better commentators if they wants higher ratings. C'mon.

They are married to Tara/Johnny. Tara/Johnny do not just commentate figure skating, in case anyone doesn't watch other stuff. They're at the Kentucky Derby doing fluff. Tara was dancing in stripper heels on a float in Rio. They were at the Golden Globes (why???). Who knows where they are when I'm not watching them.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But people said that NBCSN isn't showing all of the skating, 4-5 men were missed last night. Also, tara and johnny are still on that feed.

OK, I thought they were showing it all. I watched online. I guess I should say they are showing figure skating exclusively in a several hour block. That would be more accurate.