2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Men’s figure skating

sheetz

Record Breaker
Maybe Andrew is not fully recovered? Otherwise I can't think of a reason to make him 2nd alternate behind Dunk.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Maybe Andrew is not fully recovered? Otherwise I can't think of a reason to make him 2nd alternate behind Dunk.

Probably they want to reward Ryan for winning the Jr title, but I agree that having Andrew 2nd alt is really weird.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They've decided to give Camden another chance. I get it but I still feel bad for Andrew. Maybe it the FS clicked at the camp.

Must be frustrating for Andrew since last season Tomoki just barely beat him at Nats (0.52 points) and got the JW spot despite Andrew having had a marginally better season (2nd/4th for Andrew vs 3/3 for Tomoki, Andrew having the better scores but really rough JGPF). I agreed with sending Tomoki last year to be clear, and I get this decision too, but it does suck for him.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Camden has had the better season compared to Andrew, despite his Nationals result being worse, so I would have sent him.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The site is showing Andrew T. as first alternate for me. ETA: but the release says second alternate? I’m so confused:palmf:

Maybe the website has edited in the past hour.:scratch2:

Sad that Andrew won’t be going to Junior Worlds, but not surprised :( At least if he’s first alternate, that makes a lot more sense.:clap:

Last edited:

readernick

Medalist
Tomoki was the obvious choice. I love Camden and Andrew so I am sad they can’t both go. But, I guess Alexei is probably happy to have another shot at JW after the terrible injury last year.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Camden has had the better season compared to Andrew, despite his Nationals result being worse, so I would have sent him.

Better, but not really that much better. Camden started strongly, but has had 3 events in a row that were quite rough.

Camden
- Philly Int: 195.02 (Sr - 4th)
- JGP Linz: 223.95 (1st)
- JGP Ostrava: 212.45 (2nd - 5th in the FS)
- CS Inge Solar: 196.55 (Sr - 6th)
- JGPF: 197.68 (5th - 6th in the FS)
- Nationals: 199.87 (Sr - 12th - 15th in the FS)

That's 3 events in a row below 200, and 4 in a row with rough free skates.

Andrew
- Philly Int: 206.41 (Sr - 1st)
- JGP Bratislava: 194.75 (4th)
- JGP Kaunas: 201.63 (1st)
- Nationals: 225.97 (Sr - 7th)

So basically: Andrew beat Camden in the summer, Camden had stronger JGP results than Andrew, then Andrew had to WD from the final and Camden was rough at his CS and the JGPF (at or below Andrew's JGP level), then Andrew was significantly better at Nationals.

I don't have a problem with sending Camden, but it's basically that JGP Linz event at the end of August that does it for him. I'm just not really confident that Camden will be any better than Andrew given that it's not just one bad event - he hasn't be over 200 since late September.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So basically: Andrew beat Camden in the summer, Camden had stronger JGP results than Andrew, then Andrew had to WD from the final and Camden was rough at his CS and the JGPF (at or below Andrew's JGP level), then Andrew was significantly better at Nationals.

I don't have a problem with sending Camden, but it's basically that JGP Linz event at the end of August that does it for him. I'm just not really confident that Camden will be any better than Andrew given that it's not just one bad event - he hasn't be over 200 since late September.
I wouldn't say I'm confident that either will do well at Junior Worlds (the downward trend with Camden is noticeable), but between the two, Camden is the only one who has had events this year that I would classify as good. Andrew hasn't given a good performance this year; his JGP gold medal was at a terrible event where he only barely beat a kid with no triple Axel, and only then because Kirill lost a whole spin.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I wouldn't say I'm confident that either will do well at Junior Worlds (the downward trend with Camden is noticeable), but between the two, Camden is the only one who has had events this year that I would classify as good. Andrew hasn't given a good performance this year; his JGP gold medal was at a terrible event where he only barely beat a kid with no triple Axel, and only then because Kirill lost a whole spin.

Yeah that's fair. I guess for me, because his really good event was at the end of August, I'd be more inclined just to go with Nationals. But I'm not surprised that they went this way, and I'm not saying it's a bad call.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
The site is showing Andrew T. as first alternate for me. ETA: but the release says second alternate? I’m so confused:palmf:

Maybe the website has edited in the past hour.:scratch2:

Sad that Andrew won’t be going to Junior Worlds, but not surprised :( At least if he’s first alternate, that makes a lot more sense.:clap:

They must have corrected their error - looks like Andrew is first alternate.

frida80

Record Breaker
They must have corrected their error - looks like Andrew is first alternate.

Good. I was really confused.

However, based on Nationals I would've sent Andrew over Camden. I wish I knew what happened at the camp.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good. I was really confused.

However, based on Nationals I would've sent Andrew over Camden. I wish I knew what happened at the camp.

Me too :(. As I said in the other thread, Andrew does with skating skills and performance chops what none of the other junior men do, and does *that* consistently. His jumps, sadly, not so much. But Camden, when he tanked, he tanked.:sad21: I would have gone with at least steady trajectory rather than woulda shoulda.

But I am a shameless Andrew fangirl:luv17:

s_parks

Record Breaker
Me too :(. As I said in the other thread, Andrew does with skating skills and performance chops what none of the other junior men do, and does *that* consistently. His jumps, sadly, not so much. But Camden, when he tanked, he tanked.:sad21: I would have gone with at least steady trajectory rather than woulda shoulda.

But I am a shameless Andrew fangirl:luv17:

He has better SS than anyone in men's period. I'm a shameless Andrew fangirl as well, so I can't say I'm not biased either, but I too would send Andrew. Pulkinen has just been tanking the major competitions, so it's not like he's been doing better.

Tahuu

On the Ice
With national silver and 4cc bronze in head to head competitions, can we say Vincent has surpassed Jason and established himself as us #2?

Is Tomoki or another one of the new seniors or even the 13 years old novice (Annis) with a very nice 3A a threat to Jason in the coming years for the next Olympics?