Japanese Nationals | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals

inskate

On the Ice
I can\'t find Akiko Suzuki\'s LP!

Do you have her SP at least?

I would love to see both of her programs, her steps are quite spectacular! :D

As for the 4CC debate: I think the reason JSF sends Miki and Mao to both events is quite simple: they want them to get points for the ISU ranking. Miki needs them particularly badly, because she did not medal at NHK and did not made GPF, but they probably do not want Mao to fall behind YuNa too much, either. And YuNa probably will be at 4CC, considering it\'s in Korea this year.

I \'m sad that we will not see Akiko there, though. I really hope she will get some GP assignments. JSF should invite her to NHK this year instead of Mai, who was unprepared and sick, and ended up withdrawing anyway. :(
Could she get an invitation based on her PB? Her score at Spin of Zagreb was higher than Caroline\'s at her two GP events...

ETA: Oh no, it doesn\'t seem to count towards her PB. She doesn\'t even have her PB listed on ISU site :(

sorcerer

Final Flight
As for the 4CC debate: I think the reason JSF sends Miki and Mao to both events is quite simple: they want them to get points for the ISU ranking. Miki needs them particularly badly, because she did not medal at NHK and did not made GPF....
Basically, 4CC won't help Miki rack up ISU standing points.
4CC is one of the ISU championships, and only the one best score out of all the championships a skater competes in is counted into the standings. Similarly, out of the GP series including the Final, only the two best scores are counted in.

But ah yes, standings-wise, 4CC might function as a security hedge for Miki just in case she has a meltdown in Worlds, that's all....but certainly, I don't hope that happens any more!

(And I don't think the JSF is interested in the IceNet weekly rankings.)

Oscilla

On the Ice
I really like Akiko, too. I hope she will be able to get GP assignments somehow.

I also enjoyed Yuki. Although she stumbled in her first senior event, and it's obvious that trying to fix her lip made her flip very unreliable, I'm impressed how much she worked on her presentation and non-jump elements. And I liked her layback position in the Gala - the next lady to fix her layback from wonky into a beautiful one..? Maybe it's not perfect yet, but great freeleg position achieved in a very short time.

BTW, I just love this photo:
http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/graph/2007/1229/3.html

oleada

Record Breaker
I enjoyed Yuki as well - her exhibition was really fun. The decision to fix her lip now is one that's going to pay off in the future. Her layback spin is lovely (though honestly free leg positions don't bother me much, as a rule...)

sorcerer

Final Flight
... The horrible growth spurt has destroyed another skater...
She was in a much worse shape this summer. She reduced a LOT, and is still in process (hopefully) of reducing more.
On forums here they say her coach neglected her for some time because of this.

I don't think it's all growth spurt... it might be partly because of her relaxed character, as shown in the way her shoes are.

Bennett

Record Breaker
Mai Asada and Yukina Ota

I was wondering what happened to Mai throughout this season. I feel that she has encountered lots of unfortunate incidents right before and during competitions (e.g., losing boots at the Regional, California fire right before SA, and cold and fever during NHK).
This time at Nationals, she had an unfortunate start at her SP. Not only she missed 3F, but also she failed to get high levels in most of her steps and spins. But because she was able to get higher levels in these in her LP, it is not that she cannot get them.
Regarding jumps, Mai used 3F (though UR in both SP and LP), 3S, 3T, and 3Lo. But she didn't have a combination except for 3S-2T in SP, although she had some jump sequences with 2A in LP. As a result, Mai's placement went down from 7th? or 8th? last season to 12th this season. But I think that Mai is totally capable of placing higher if she can get the intended levels in her spins and steps, land 3F, and increases combinations. I wonder if Mai also starts fixing flutz so that she can get it back in her program. Although Mai sometimes has had toe-axel, she got plus GOE on her 3T this time, which is wonderful for her. So if she can fix her flutz, she can be much more competitive.

On the other hand, Yukina went up in her placement from last season's 12th to this season's 7th. What's interesting is that Yukina only uses two triples, 3T and 3S. I recall her using up to 3lutz last season, most of which were downgraded. But this time, it seems that she decided use only consistent jumps for her. But a good thing is that she gets high levels on her spins and steps. Also her PCS is 4 points higher than Mai, which compensates for her weaker jump contents. I wonder how difficult it might be for Yukina to recover her jumps because I hear that her injuries would not be completely cured. But if she can recover either 3L, 3F, or 3Lz next season, she may be able to place much higher. It is simply admirable to place at 7th with her current jump contents with some major mistakes. So I feel it's getting pretty promising for Yukina compared to last season. Now that she placed 7th, I wonder if we could see her at GP series next season. It would be wonderful if that happens :rock:

Last edited:

Bennett

Record Breaker
She was in a much worse shape this summer. She reduced a LOT, and is still in process (hopefully) of reducing more.
On forums here they say her coach neglected her for some time because of this.

I don't think it's all growth spurt... it might be partly because of her relaxed character, as shown in the way her shoes are.

Well, we cannot always control our body in a way we want to.

Last edited:

Pikachuusb

On the Ice
On the other hand, Yukina went up in her placement from last season's 12th to this season's 7th. What's interesting is that Yukina only uses two triples, 3T and 3S. I recall her using up to 3lutz last season, most of which were downgraded. But this time, it seems that she decided use only consistent jumps for her. But a good thing is that she gets high levels on her spins and steps. Also her PCS is 4 points higher than Mai, which compensates for her weaker jump contents. I wonder how difficult it might be for Yukina to recover her jumps because I hear that her injuries would not be completely cured. But if she can recover either 3L, 3F, or 3Lz next season, she may be able to place much higher. It is simply admirable to place at 7th with her current jump contents with some major mistakes. So I feel it's getting pretty promising for Yukina compared to last season. Now that she placed 7th, I wonder if we could see her at GP series next season. It would be wonderful if that happens :rock:

If she can keep improving and hopefully heal, I would be quite happy. :biggrin:
If she could make a GP event ...Id be over the moon:rock: I just adore her skating style she is soo beautiful and lyrical on the ice.:love:

inskate

On the Ice
Mao was great, I especially loved the encore :love:

Wow, Nana landed a 3L-3T in the Gala!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqOP5_5UWGQ
So it was underotated, but still, a gutsy attempt. She said she wants to try it in her competetive programs next season :thumbsup:

Rumi has such a great program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKAifA1ejE0
The choreography goes so well with the music. If only she had more speed and faster spins, she could be even more impressive. :)

life684

Final Flight
Mao was great, I especially loved the encore :love:

Wow, Nana landed a 3L-3T in the Gala!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqOP5_5UWGQ
So it was underotated, but still, a gutsy attempt. She said she wants to try it in her competetive programs next season :thumbsup:

Rumi has such a great program:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKAifA1ejE0
The choreography goes so well with the music. If only she had more speed and faster spins, she could be even more impressive. :)

The chereogragphy of Rumi's routine also expressed the words in the song, as far as I could understand it described the '' Flow of the river". Great routine ....
World junior title doesn't look a full gone conclusion to caroline Zhang.

netnuts

Match Penalty
The chereogragphy of Rumi's routine also expressed the words in the song, as far as I could understand it described the '' Flow of the river". Great routine ....
World junior title doesn't look a full gone conclusion to caroline Zhang.

Well Rumi only has 3t, 3s and 3loop, she won't be competitive against zhang, Mirai and Flatt.