2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14 | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14

Meoima

Match Penalty
As far as ice dancers are concerned, I agree with you that Elena is the best Carmen of the current pack of skaters. Also, I really like Ruslan with her, he is a better match and Nikita always sucked at twizzles.
Yes, and Elena has the looks of Carmen as well. To be frankly I don't like their costumes much (too long, too dark) and of course they are still very raw since they have just skated with each other for 6 months. But her intensity is very Carmen.

Alba

Record Breaker
I am surprised they are behind Co/B on PCS. I/Z came out on fire, she was talking no prisoners it is a dance that really suits her. Again I would have them closer to Ch/B on PCS. Ch/B deserve their lead but not sure if they are worth a 4+ lead.

Well, to give I&Z 7.50 for their SS and I saw one judge gave C&B 9. :shocked::laugh:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
As much as I enjoyed Elena and Ruslan performance today I think their scores are inflated. So if I were them I wouldn't be too sure for tomorrow. It's home judgement and somebody had to get more just for the sake of the audience. Tomorrow is going to be very interesting. I think British couple might actually fight back. So could Stepanova and Bukin. Their FD is very good.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Elena and Ruslan both smiling madly throughout their Carmen SD was just plain wrong.

elysium

On the Ice
Really liked the performance by Elena and Ruslan today, they had more confidence than at COC. The lift still looks like their weak point though, but they should improve with time. Anyway, very happy with the results today and wish them good luck tomorrow.

uhh

Medalist
Ah but with everything that has gone on, could you blame them for having huge smiles when they were skating like that in that situation? Perhaps it doesn't tick all the PCS bullets for interpreting the mood & so on, but given the occasion it made a good performance into something really special for me. Anyway, I don't think that a wicked smile like Lena had is at all inappropriate for playing Carmen.

Last edited:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Ah but with everything that has gone on, could you blame them for having huge smiles when they were skating like that in that situation? Perhaps it doesn't tick all the PCS bullets for interpreting the mood & so on, but given the occasion it made a good performance into something really special for me. Anyway, I don't think that a wicked smile like Lena had is at all inappropriate for playing Carmen.

Carmen is a seducer. It shouldn't be a "aren't we doing great" smile. For me, it throws me out of the performance. I had the same problem with A/E (why they are skating to Carmen when they both look so All-American Wholesome Goodness is beyond me--it's a total mismatch). If you're going to commit to a character, you should fully commit. You can always save the "Look Ma! We Done Good!" smiles for the K&C (which I guess could sometimes be called the Kiss & Smile, depending on the performance).

And poor Hawayek and Baker in a way. This really isn't a dance that suits them (YMMV of course).

I noticed the boyish male dancers are growing facial hair this season. I guess it's the Newest Thing, though I'm not sure it really helps.

Last edited:

icedinn

wishing ksenia/kirill happiness 4ever
On the Ice
Best in show today was Coomes/Buckland. Hope they get the silver medal.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Carmen is a seducer. It shouldn't be a "aren't we doing great" smile. For me, it throws me out of the performance. I had the same problem with A/E (why they are skating to Carmen when they both look so All-American Wholesome Goodness is beyond me--it's a total mismatch). If you're going to commit to a character, you should fully commit. You can always save the "Look Ma! We Done Good!" smiles for the K&C (which I guess could sometimes be called the Kiss & Smile, depending on the performance).

And poor Hawayek and Baker in a way. This really isn't a dance that suits them (YMMV of course).

I noticed the boyish male dancers are growing facial hair this season. I guess it's the Newest Thing, though I'm not sure it really helps.

There was a photo somewhere of Baker. And I love the boy (he's a fellow Washingtonian!), but the facial hair was sort of scary looking in the way he was photographed.

LauraV

On the Ice

Agreed - I found it exasperating to see two Carmen SDs within the same competition, when neither performance was really artistically apt.

I liked H/B more or less, but that SD is not ideal either.

The Paso is proving to be surprisingly difficult for teams to get right this season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Agreed - I found it exasperating to see two Carmen SDs within the same competition, when neither performance was really artistically apt.

The Paso is proving to be surprisingly difficult for teams to get right this season.

Ironically the neglected Shibs seem to have a solid Paso feel, IMO. Maybe being doted by Marina isn't such a good thing. :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

They look so young and fresh, the Paso is not a good draw for them to start their first senior season. Music choice certainly didn't help.

But, oh boy, what potential there is in this team!

sbaker

On the Ice
Shibs still had the third highest SD score in the GP! Not bad for some neglected kids. :laugh:

Indeed! They won the SD today at Ice Challenge in Graz with 65.38; TES 30.70, PCS 34.68. I know it's a senior B which makes it hard to compare, but it's nice to see them doing consistently well with the program :yes:

This is proving to be a greattttt event and I just can't wait for the FD :party2:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Indeed! They won the SD today at Ice Challenge in Graz with 65.38; TES 30.70, PCS 34.68. I know it's a senior B which makes it hard to compare, but it's nice to see them doing consistently well with the program :yes:

This is proving to be a greattttt event and I just can't wait for the FD :party2:

OH I was looking for their TES..

Hm....30.70 is a bit low, however. They scored 32+ in TES in China last week. I bet those paso sequences were low. :(

LauraV

On the Ice
Ironically the neglected Shibs seem to have a solid Paso feel, IMO. Maybe being doted by Marina isn't such a good thing. :laugh:

The Shibs SD is one of the season's best, for sure! I particularly like their choice of music. They leaned in the flamenco direction, and it works for them. IMO.

LauraV

On the Ice
They look so young and fresh, the Paso is not a good draw for them to start their first senior season. Music choice certainly didn't help.

But, oh boy, what potential there is in this team!

Yep - like the team a lot, just not wild about this SD for them. Looking forward to their FD.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Shibs SD is one of the season's best, for sure! I particularly like their choice of music. They leaned in the flamenco direction, and it works for them. IMO.

Now, they just need to nail their Paso sequences, however.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I think the Shibs have the best constructed PD program. It's seamless and the mandatory sequences flow better than in any other Paso I've seen so far. But the levels are killing them. Noives, honey. It seems like a bad case of the noives.

And I LOVE H/B. I think they just need some more seasoning and experience. And a nice waltz for a SD wouldn't hurt either (I'm waiting for them to do a Golden Waltz, which I think would suit them to a T).

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I'm sure everyone is already discussing scores and results, but after watching the performances and reading the scores my only comment is
CoR+Ice Dance=welcome back big drama! :drama:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the Shibs have the best constructed PD program. It's seamless and the mandatory sequences flow better than in any other Paso I've seen so far. But the levels are killing them. Noives, honey. It seems like a bad case of the noives.

And I LOVE H/B. I think they just need some more seasoning and experience. And a nice waltz for a SD wouldn't hurt either (I'm waiting for them to do a Golden Waltz, which I think would suit them to a T).

That's where good timing worked well for the Shibs. The Golden Waltz came during THEIR debut season.

Anyway, yes someone needs to lock the Shibs in the rink and have them practice those sequences until they're blue in the face. I'm hoping they'll get it all together by GPF if they get in. (Which seem likely at this point).

Last edited: