2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14 | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2014 Rostelecom Cup Short Dance 11/14

LauraV

On the Ice
I think the Shibs have the best constructed PD program. It's seamless and the mandatory sequences flow better than in any other Paso I've seen so far. But the levels are killing them. Noives, honey. It seems like a bad case of the noives.

And I LOVE H/B. I think they just need some more seasoning and experience. And a nice waltz for a SD wouldn't hurt either (I'm waiting for them to do a Golden Waltz, which I think would suit them to a T).

One thing I particularly like about the Shib's SD is the way the music is timed to launch them into their twizzles, and then carries them through. They keep a flamenco attitude thoughout the move. Really nice stuff.

Levels are another issue, of course.....and I'm hoping that with more mileage, they'll eventually give this program the performance it deserves. Nationals would be a good time.....

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES (USA) - 68.86 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Elena ILINYKH / Ruslan ZHIGANSHIN (RUS) - 64.12 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
3. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) - 59.55 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
4. Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) - 57.96 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
5. Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN (RUS) - 56.90 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
6. Alexandra ALDRIDGE / Daniel EATON (USA) - 54.39 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER (USA) - 52.86 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
8. Rebeka KIM / Kirill MINOV (KOR) - 46.14 Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

w_darling

On the Ice
Ironically the neglected Shibs seem to have a solid Paso feel, IMO. Maybe being doted by Marina isn't such a good thing. :laugh:

Just a passing thought, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they're siblings... it seems a lot of teams are getting distracted by what they assume to be the ~Spanish dance character~ and emphasizing a more... um, superficial sexualized passion which isn't necessarily in line with the actual dramatic character of paso doble. Being siblings might have actually helped the Shibs to immediately bypass that avenue, thankfully. I love their SD this season.

More on topic, I loved reading everyone's thoughts and comments both before (haha) and during the competition since I wasn't able to stream it while it was on. I actually haven't gotten around to watching all of them yet but thanks to Mao88 for the video links! I especially look forward to seeing the drama of the Russian teams :popcorn:

Matt K

On the Ice
SHORT DANCE - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

Thank you. I/Z have the best skating skills in this competition and have good chemistry but Ruslan does not seem that comfortable yet. I sometimes get nervous watching. Elena is by far the best ice dancer and skater today.

I like Coomes/Buckland lift. The only thing I like in that program.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Thank you. I/Z have the best skating skills in this competition and have good chemistry but Ruslan does not seem that comfortable yet. I sometimes get nervous watching. Elena is by far the best ice dancer and skater today.

I like Coomes/Buckland lift. The only thing I like in that program.

Ruslan seems okay to me other than on the lift- more comfortable than last week. They really have to do something with that lift... when they hit it, it's great, but when they don't, it's just scary and they only get a level 2. Either they should practice it more or else they should replace or modify it- maybe both and then bring it back next year when their hit rate is closer to 100.

I also like the Co/Bu lift- definitely a highlight of the competition.

elif

Medalist
Sinitsina/Katsalapov's GOEs are way too high! Look at twizzles for example, out of synch, more than two arms apart, stumbled, turned into spins but that got barely negative GOE... +1 GOE from two judges :shocked: They are out of synch in two set, that is alone should result no more than -1 GOE according to rules.... And rotational lift... Nikita almost turned rotations into spins, very little ice coverage, slow rotations, not aesthetic poses, no musicality or originality... +2 GOE for that :shocked:

Step sequence looks very strange with all stops, poses and jumps after almost every difficult turn. They lost speed, can't gain back with edges and got that program component score... :shocked:

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
For me the highlights were I/Z and the British. There is too much of Nikita in S/K - Zueva has to do something about it IMO. As for C/B who are leading - nice but for the lack of the better word "mechanical". Their skating is just not memorable. Stepanova and Bukin, I guess, concentrated too much on their twizzles - could not feel that they enjoyed themselves on ice.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Just a passing thought, but I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that they're siblings... it seems a lot of teams are getting distracted by what they assume to be the ~Spanish dance character~ and emphasizing a more... um, superficial sexualized passion which isn't necessarily in line with the actual dramatic character of paso doble. Being siblings might have actually helped the Shibs to immediately bypass that avenue, thankfully. I love their SD this season.

More on topic, I loved reading everyone's thoughts and comments both before (haha) and during the competition since I wasn't able to stream it while it was on. I actually haven't gotten around to watching all of them yet but thanks to Mao88 for the video links! I especially look forward to seeing the drama of the Russian teams :popcorn:

:agree:

I always thought of the paso as both the male peacock dance and a ritualized display of power. Alas, pretty much every dance couple is turning it into The Dating Game with Castanets. Who knew a dance based on the ritualized killing of a bull was High Romance???

Florentina

On the Ice

I always thought of the paso as both the male peacock dance and a ritualized display of power. Alas, pretty much every dance couple is turning it into The Dating Game with Castanets. Who knew a dance based on the ritualized killing of a bull was High Romance???

I wonder how this could happen to almost all of the couples (including their coaches and choreographers). I mean you need to go as far as Wikipedia to realize the Paso Doble is not that romance so many are desperately trying to display...

auser

Record Breaker

Thank you WeakAnkles. I've been wondering about this too, especially with your earlier Carmen observation about seduction. I thought Paso Doble was about the matador and the cape(where one partner portrays the matador and the other the cape). So shouldn't the seductive/passionate looks be aimed at the bull and not between the matador and the cape?:confused::)

tulosai

Record Breaker
Thank you WeakAnkles. I've been wondering about this too, especially with your earlier Carmen observation about seduction. I thought Paso Doble was about the matador and the cape(where one partner portrays the matador and the other the cape). So shouldn't the seductive/passionate looks be aimed at the bull and not between the matador and the cape?:confused::)

I mean, there can be sexual elements to the dance when a pair preforming it have that kind of chemistry naturally... maybe elements is the wrong word, I should say that can end up being the feeling. (I am talking about actual dance here, not ice dance). But really it's not supposed to be sexual or at least not inherently so. It's about two things: drama, and power.

KKonas

Medalist
Russia GP SD My thoughts
Chock/Bates – Strong performance, better than SA – good speed, strong edges, great opening lift. They will challenge W&P for sure.
I&K – It’s back to the future with the man “presenting” the woman – rightly so as she is the star. Good speed, great drama and strong edges, but still need to work on closer partnering as normal for a new team.
Coomes/Buckland – Good speed but they skate way too far apart for my liking. PCS too high IMO. I would have them 4th place.
S&K – He is the peacock and she is rendered almost invisible, still you can’t help watching him. Relatively good closeness for such a new team. Lots of speed but he tends to push it, which often puts him out of sync with his partner and causes errors. Nevertheless, I would have put them 3rd.
S&B – Good solid team, love the “sit” twizzles, but they haven’t yet developed a “personality” as a team. Still have plenty of time to develop.
A&E – Solid skate. They have a similar problem as S&B as there is little emotion to demand that you watch them. She appears to be the weaker of the two.
H&B – Obviously not their best performance. They definitely need more speed and attack, especially in the Paso Doble.

slider11

Medalist
Just can't click with Chock and Bates, Can't put my finger on it; they are technically strong and artistically attractive. Just don't feel it. I thought Elena and Ruslan were the stars today. Although I must agree the smiles were not in the sync with the snakey Carmen. Plenty of time for the Russians to develop - good first show. I am a Weaver and Poje and Shibs fan. Looking forward to the GPF.

anyanka

Record Breaker
I dont believe couple names are supposed to make a real name! Better be elerus??

To the folks in that part of the world, it sounds like "Ruslana", the Ukrainian pop singer who won Eurovision in 2004 and is a major star there. That's probably where the confusion comes from? (Also, even though I live in the Americas, I have a couple of her songs on my iPod because the beats are great for the gym!)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hoping so as well, but that's quite a bit of ground to make up in the FD, non? Still, they put on a great show.

It's about 4.5 points, which is a gap, but not insurmountable. I/Z scored 84+ at their FD in China (although they could get a higher score, of course) Coomes/Bucklan can score in the low 90s consistently (and their PB is 96+). If you have a similar scenario here, C/B can beat I/Z.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
To the folks in that part of the world, it sounds like "Ruslana", the Ukrainian pop singer who won Eurovision in 2004 and is a major star there. That's probably where the confusion comes from? (Also, even though I live in the Americas, I have a couple of her songs on my iPod because the beats are great for the gym!)

Also great for winning gold medals at the Olympics!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2ozAwU0fxo