2015-16 Grand Prix assignments | Page 29 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix assignments

chameleon

On the Ice
I'm not sure if they can swap around events like that, if you withdraw from a GP you don't go on the list for another one.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
It would have been great if the ISU was more nimble. They could have given Grant Hochstein TEB (there was only 1 US man there, Max Aaron) and then put Misha Ge at NHK, where it probably would have been easier to secure a visa (not to mention he would had a little more time).

I'm not sure if they can swap around events like that, if you withdraw from a GP you don't go on the list for another one.

I don't think it should be a withdraw. It is a transfer/reassignment. Pretty sure they let Hanyu transfer around due to the Tsunami, so the precedent is there (ok kinda...granted a natural disaster is a bigger deal, but I would also argue it is less of a need and more of a want).

And even if there is no wiggle room on calling it a withdraw, I still think the ISU should rethink that policy. Mrs. P's suggestion would not have given anyone an advantage, would not have treated anyone unfairly, would have inconvenience anyone (well maybe some paper work, but there is a limit to how much of an inconvenience doing your job is) it would have cost little to no money, no more or less skaters are added to the GP, frankly it is so harmless and practical that it is hard for me to respect rules that don't allow it.

The ISU should want to facilitate skaters getting the spots they are entitled to. This type of swap would be an easy way to do it. The ISU should really reexamine their policies in this. They want to keep including more and more countries... they can't do that if they are going to take a "well sucks for you" attitude when up and coming countries have issues with this.

This should not have happened and frankly I hope (though likely futilely) that at least the French Federation and the ISU is embarrassed by the SNAFU.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sad to hear that Misha had to withdraw from TEB.

... Pretty sure they let Hanyu transfer around due to the Tsunami ...

Curious to hear more about what happened with Hanyu.
The tsunami in Japan occurred in March, and the country understandably needed a long time to recover, but I can't envision how it would have required a transfer of GP assignments?? :think:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Sad to hear that Misha had to withdraw from TEB.

Curious to hear more about what happened with Hanyu.
The tsunami in Japan occurred in March, and the country understandably needed a long time to recover, but I can't envision how it would have required a transfer of GP assignments?? :think:

I read it on here. I think it was shortly after they let Hanyu compete at NHK even though it clashed with how the seeded skaters are supposed to line up. As I recall TEB got a French skater in exchange so everyone was happy. I don't think it was a need so much as a wanting to compete in his own country as kind a supportive good will (maybe selling tickets) patriotic, sentimental thing. But it also was a case where both sides seem to feel they got what they wanted out of it and were happy. I also want to add i was not being critical of them making exceptions, but rather giving an example of when a logical exception was made. I don't get the impression it was controversial, more like a "this is too cute to say no to" type thing.

EDIT: Did some digging.

2012 World's Daisuke Takahashi and Hanyu were both on the podium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_World_Figure_Skating_Championships#Men

and were also at NHK later that year which was held in Sendai - Hanyu's hometown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHK_Trophy

They should not have been at the same GP even (unless something has changed)

Like wise at TEB Florent Amodio & Brian Joubert were both there even though they were 4th and 5th for worlds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Troph%C3%A9e_%C3%89ric_Bompard#Men

I don't know when the change was made or how it occurred, but i recall it being referenced as an exception to the seeded skater rules. Frankly if they can make a good will exception in that case I think they should at least consider it in this case, and it does show there is some room for exceptions... though maybe only before the assignments are finalized who knows but I stand by logical exceptions are a good thing.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Seriously....the embassies are acting like spoiled brats. Nope I'm not taking back on what I said.

More like they are roped in bureaucracy, whether they like it or not. The blame is really on the policy, not the poor folks who have to adhere to it.

I mean in the age of technology, surely, they could have contacted the Bulgarian embassy and say, "Hey send us (or show us) a copy of Misha Ge's passport" and at least get the the ball rolling on Oct. 9. But I guess most want a physical copy of the passport for verification purposes.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I read it on here. I think it was shortly after they let Hanyu compete at NHK even though it clashed with how the seeded skaters are supposed to line up. As I recall TEB got a French skater in exchange so everyone was happy. I don't think it was a need so much as a wanting to compete in his own country as kind a supportive good will (maybe selling tickets) patriotic, sentimental thing. But it also was a case where both sides seem to feel they got what they wanted out of it and were happy. I also want to add i was not being critical of them making exceptions, but rather giving an example of when a logical exception was made. I don't get the impression it was controversial, more like a "this is too cute to say no to" type thing.

EDIT: Did some digging.

2012 World's Daisuke Takahashi and Hanyu were both on the podium.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_World_Figure_Skating_Championships#Men

and were also at NHK later that year which was held in Sendai - Hanyu's hometown.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHK_Trophy

They should not have been at the same GP even (unless something has changed)

Like wise at TEB Florent Amodio & Brian Joubert were both there even though they were 4th and 5th for worlds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Troph%C3%A9e_%C3%89ric_Bompard#Men

I don't know when the change was made or how it occurred, but i recall it being referenced as an exception to the seeded skater rules. Frankly if they can make a good will exception in that case I think they should at least consider it in this case, and it does show there is some room for exceptions... though maybe only before the assignments are finalized who knows but I stand by logical exceptions are a good thing.

Thank you for looking up all the details for me, Stitch. Good to know.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I still wonder why he didn't leap on this as soon as the assignments were announced and force the letters out of the French fed as early as possible. I mean, it's not like he didn't know it would be a problem, he knew it would be.

Calling for things like TEB to lose their GP status over this is, frankly, a stupid over-reaction. It's not their fault that Ge has the passport of a country that is subject to tight visa rules. I have to wonder, too, if it was someone other than the fan-favourite Ge, if it was a skater from a different small country, would people still be calling for TEB to lose its GP status? I think not.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is France that invited Misha for one of his two GP's as a skater seeded because of his sixth place finish at Worlds
http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2015/CAT001RS.HTM

By not doing due diligence to get Misha to TEB, the French fed did a disservice to ticket buyers who are entitled to see two seeded men at their event. Misha cannot issue his own letter; the French have to do it.

They (and the ISU) also stole from Misha the opportunity he had earned by his high World's placement to earn points and money. As the sixth place skater, Misha had no semblance of choice in his assignments. And he has limited choice about what country he represents.

If France can't do visas timely, they should only invite European skaters, where that will not be an issue.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree with everyone else: the French invited Misha, and then either would not or could not get it together to accommodate his visa needs. Quel désastre :no:I certainly hope Misha gets the second GP he has richly earned!:mad:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Yes :drama: and think of how lovely it will be when the author of some, and CEO of all of these efficiencies and innovations, Didier Gailhaguet, is head of the ISU??

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I completely agree. The French federation has a long and established history of accommodating skaters both in and out of their federation. The speed with which they released Tiffany Zahorski and Bruno Massot to skate for other countries, the way they didn't force Pechalat/Bourzat to switch coaches in the Olympic year, the way they allowed Brian Joubert to skate in Grand Prix events… it is beyond unreasonable, unthinkable even, to act as though Misha Ge would be an exception to their rule of focusing on the best interests of skaters at all times.

:rolleye:

I'm not saying the French Fed doesn't take blame here. What I am saying is that I am surprised that Ge, knowing full well the way the French Fed works and knowing that he had problems with getting a French visa in the past, wasn't more proactive about it.

On a different note, I am surprised that the ISU doesn't make it a rule that ALL GP events, regardless of location, have the invitation letters ready to go on the day the assignments are released.

tulosai

Record Breaker

I'm not saying the French Fed doesn't take blame here. What I am saying is that I am surprised that Ge, knowing full well the way the French Fed works and knowing that he had problems with getting a French visa in the past, wasn't more proactive about it.

On a different note, I am surprised that the ISU doesn't make it a rule that ALL GP events, regardless of location, have the invitation letters ready to go on the day the assignments are released.

The thing is though we don't actually have any idea how proactive he tried to be. He may have been bugging them for months and just not have tweeted about it (and indeed, if he had tweeted about it no doubt some people would think that was unprofessional, and even if they didn't it might not have been the best move for him to start immediately bashing the French federation on social media when he had to work with them. He probably also doesn't speak French which is a huge problem when dealing with French bureaucracy and people there in general, which I say as someone who had to do so... I was actually very good at French but even not being fluent is a huge liability there when trying to deal with bureaucracy, they DO NOT care if you can't understand them and will keep repeating the same technical word in French that you don't understand, they will not even try once to rephrase or gesture to what they mean on the paper or anything. The citizens are also factually the worst in Europe at foreign languages, many know very little English and very little anything else too (which is not to bash them, it's not like Americans -which I mention since I am American- are any better, but it's not like someone can call up their government offices speaking English and hope to be making progress.)

Mattieu

Medalist
Yes :drama: and think of how lovely it will be when the author of some, and CEO of all of these efficiencies and innovations, Didier Gailhaguet, is head of the ISU??

Yes, it will be wonderful to see ISU money being lavished on an equally large number of law suits as Didi has instigated/provoked in France.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

I didn't know you were good friends with Misha! He personally told you he didn't start trying to work out his visa issues as soon as he could?

tulosai

Record Breaker
Who would be next in line for Kozuka's spot??

I am just eyeballing this, so don't absolutely hold me to it, but if they choose to fill the spot (which they are not obligated to do but I hope they will), assuming thye actually go off last years SB like they are supposed to, the options seem to be:

Yi Wang
Ronald Lam
Michael Christian Martinez
Jeremy Ten
Ivan Righini

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ronald Lam and Jeremy Ten have retired. Also, they have been going off challenger series scores, so if a challenger series competitor isn't on the SB list but scored well on their challenger event, then that person might be considered as well.