2015-16 ISU Grand Prix Final | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2015-16 ISU Grand Prix Final

There has been so much back and forth and to me what seems like redefining of what 'the choir' is that I am confused. So here are multiple interpretations and decision as to whether I'm part of each one :laugh:

I think some people are in the Max Aaron ensemble, but do not necessarily sing first tenor in the Max Aaron barbershop quartet. :)

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Ohh noooooo, Queen Boss Sui :cry: i hope she will heal soon and continue to rule us! But i am glad they decided to withdraw since her health is more important

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Oh, noooo. Sorry about Sui/Han.

A small silver lining of their withdrawal is that now we know for sure that subs who themselves are TEB skaters are allowed to fill the 7th slot.

I am the one who said that pushback in support of Max gets criticized ... and who made the comparison to pushback in support of Jason.

My comments were referring only to GS.
I am not a member of FSU. Used to do some lurking over there, but very little lately. So I do not really know what goes on over there. I don't even have access to the FSU comp threads.

For the record: two days ago, Max fans were chastised in this very thread for being overly supportive of him.

Hi Golden,

Yes, I know that there was criticism of Max fans in this thread for supporting him. I wasn't disputing that at all; just trying to make the point that fans of other skaters are also criticized for being too ardent. In any case, as you know, I'm very sorry Max didn't make it to the GPF this year, but hopefully he will continue to skate well, will do well at Nats, and will be chosen for the world team.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well sadly it looks like D/R will walk away with a win since the teams that could have put the fear of God in them are injured. :(

I think Kavaguti/Smirnov and Stolbova/Klimov still have a shot at beating them if D/R have a very off day. D/R have yet to deliver a clean SP this season, although if they do so at the GPF, and skate as well as they can in the FS, the gold will easily be theirs.

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Well sadly it looks like D/R will walk away with a win since the teams that could have put the fear of God in them are injured. :(

So far it seems like the ones putting the "Fear of God" onto others are D\R,

I always did find them to respond exactly the opposite when being pushed to their limit.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
So far it seems like the ones putting the "Fear of God" onto others are D\R,

I always did find them to respond exactly the opposite when being pushed to their limit.

I doubt D/R put anything, let alone fear, into Sui/Han or Tat and Max. Lolol

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Hopefully V/t, d/r and s/h will all be present and healthy at worlds so we can see the huge showdown we were anticipating at the GPF. Until then, I think a lot of the pairs have the potential to perform well at the final and challenge for the podium

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Hopefully V/t, d/r and s/h will all be present and healthy at worlds so we can see the huge showdown we were anticipating at the GPF. Until then, I think a lot of the pairs have the potential to perform well at the final and challenge for the podium

And Aliona and bruno!
If everyone shows up at Worlds Pairs will be a blast

Regarding the GPF i think historically K\S have never performed well in that competition,
So probably S\K are the major threat here. (Unless History won't repeat ;) )

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
And Aliona and bruno!
If everyone shows up at Worlds Pairs will be a blast

Regarding the GPF i think historically K\S have never performed well in that competition,
So probably S\K are the major threat here. (Unless History won't repeat ;) )

How could I forget Aliona and Bruno!! Now I'm really anticipating worlds :dance:

I hope K/S have s better showing at this GPF than they've previously shown.

Tastetherainbow

Medalist
My thoughts for Pairs at GPF:

For D/R it should be a walk in the park, unless disaster strikes again. Meagan is known to be a fighter when there are top teams pushing her, so I feel she will perform well here.

Stolbova/Klimov is the best threat at snatching gold away from D/R. They have AWESOME skating skills and have upgraded their SBS jumps. Of course, landing them will be another issue, but I believe that CoR boosted their confidence, and Ksenia is generally a good jumper.

Not so much high hopes for K/S. I think they will be solid bronze here. Their PCS is not that high compared to St/K and D/R, and landing both quads and SBS jumps (while more stable this season) is highly unlikely.

Y/J and S/B are very good and consistent, but they don't have the PCS needed to compete with the top. That should come by next season.

Sc/K's PCS is higher this season, but they need to land those SBS jumps. If they don't fix them, they could be buried beneath the pile here and at Worlds. Three Chinese teams, one Canadian team, three Russian teams, and one German team all have the ability to score higher than them this season, not to mention S/B who could easily overtake them they have an off day, so they'll need to step up their game. Not sure if a 3T-3T sequence is right for them as of the moment; I think they should go for a 3-2 or a 3-2-2 combo to save those points until they are stable enough to go for the 3-3 sequence.

P/Z don't have a second triple jump or 2A, but makes up the points with their twist and throws. They could easily lose out their status as the second best Chinese team if Peng doesn't learn at least the 2A soon. PCS is the only thing holding them as of the moment. They could be fourth, but should they screw up on something other than jumps that all could very well change.

Can't wait for Worlds! It's going to be a bloodbath (and a blast)! :biggrin:

Last edited:

anyanka

Record Breaker
How could I forget Aliona and Bruno!! Now I'm really anticipating worlds :dance:

I hope K/S have s better showing at this GPF than they've previously shown.

I love Yuko & Sasha but historically, except in 2011, they seem exhausted by the time they get to GPF and then have to reload for nationals and Euros. Hoping for good results for them here, they are one of my favourites.

Although I'll put this out here right now as a prediction: doesn't matter if Russia sends V/T, S/K AND K/S, I'm predicting Aljona and Bruno to win Euros 2016.

Anyhow, back on topic ...

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I am also sad that Sui/Han had to withdraw - was hoping to see them live + a good pairs competition at the GPF. But her long term health is more important, of course.

Although I'll put this out here right now as a prediction: doesn't matter if Russia sends V/T, S/K AND K/S, I'm predicting Aljona and Bruno to win Euros 2016.
Strangely, Aliona seems to have problems with throws in their FS now (not even one landed completely cleanly in two competitions), and at the Warsawa Cup she also had problems with jumps. Probably that will change for later in the season, but they will very likely get considerably lower PCS than V/T (and deservedly so - currently they have less speed and even less transitions than V/T + Bruno's performance level is not as high as Aliona's and they don't have that connection yet).

Last edited:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
I bet D/R are just giddy with this latest developments! Even more than when they heard Tat & Max had to forego the rest of the GP.

I bet D/R are just giddy with this latest developments! Even more than when they heard Tat & Max had to forego the rest of the GP.

No, I'm pretty sure that D&R were looking forward to testing themselves against the best, ahead of Worlds. All athletes have that mindset. :yes:

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
No, I'm pretty sure that D&R were looking forward to testing themselves against the best, ahead of Worlds. All athletes have that mindset. :yes:

I'm so disappointed! Hopefully this means a grand showdown for me when I'm at Worlds!

Sjs5572

Final Flight
D/R are operating under a ISU judging system handicap, and they are still number one in the world..Lavernik is keeping the value of quad throws down because none of the Russian teams have them. Curious that in.singles skating, with the Kovtuns, plushenkos, Voronovs, et al, he has quite a different agenda when it comes to quads. I give D/R props for advancing the sport even when.facing such strong IJS headwinds.

Last edited: