2015-16 ISU Grand Prix Final | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015-16 ISU Grand Prix Final

Sjs5572

Final Flight
Kavaguti and Smirnov had done quads for a long time...

I stand corrected. As much as I love K/S, they were never a priority for Russian Fed.in terms of politicking. I guess it's due to their heretofore inconsistency. I should have said Russian pairs that are of concern to Russian Fed.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I really like Sui/Han, but in my mind this gives K/S the chance to grab that GPF medal that their incredible FS deserves!!

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I really like Sui/Han, but in my mind this gives K/S the chance to grab that GPF medal that their incredible FS deserves!!
Yes - Sui/Han are my favourites, but Kavaguti/Smirnov deserve a medal just for doing "the stomp"...!

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
D/R are operating under a ISU judging system handicap, and they are still number one in the world..Lavernik is keeping the value of quad throws down because none of the Russian teams have them. Curious that in.singles skating, with the Kovtuns, plushenkos, Voronovs, et al, he has quite a different agenda when it comes to quads. I give D/R props for advancing the sport even when.facing such strong IJS headwinds.
I am not sure the scoring system was on purposely against D/R but and I am sure there are other ways of looking at it I am not sure I agree with so much weighting given to quad twists and lifts versus throw jumps. Arguably throw jumps can be adjusted to any size but lifts and twists while good technique nd strength help a smaller woman is usually advantageous. So I kind of think the scoring should be adjusted downwards for lifts and twists or upwards for throws - maybe equivalent to solo jumps? But that being said it will be an interesting and well fought GPF. The Chinese teams still look good and could win but I also think D and R have a good shot and this is a chance for S and K to show they have regained the poise they had in the oly year.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sure glad there's no huge competition this weekend cause on Friday I need to spend all day editing my scientific paper for ecology.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

honeygirl

Rinkside
Cong Han and Wenjing Sui have withdrawn according to an ISU tweet. Are Vanessa James and Morgan Cipres going to compete now? They are listed above them as substitutes:

https://twitter.com/gpfbarcelona/status/671721144777601026

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
I was hoping that the ISU would let 8 in on each...so sad to see Liza and Gilles/Poirier not make the final.

If it were 8 per discipline then Han Yan, Max Aaron, Liza, Rika, Peng/Zhang, Gilles/Poirier and Sinitsina/Katsalapov would make it. That would be an awesome event to watch.
Cant agree more
Sinkats & G/P not being there makes me saad
All of those ppl would be very welcome

Hopefully K/S will have a good showing They were never that successful at this comp:( tho in true Sasha fasion he seems to always be making fun of this fact:biggrin:

Last edited:

aqua70

Rinkside
I agree with the decision made by the ISU to make the TEB's short programs scores final; anything else would have created more unneccessary drama. I wonder if there's the possibility of allowing skaters to compete in up to 3 competitions in the Grand Prix--with only the top 2 finishes counting towards the tally in the future? Didn't the ISU used to do that?

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
I agree with the decision made by the ISU to make the TEB's short programs scores final; anything else would have created more unneccessary drama. I wonder if there's the possibility of allowing skaters to compete in up to 3 competitions in the Grand Prix--with only the top 2 finishes counting towards the tally in the future? Didn't the ISU used to do that?

Yes they did but I am glad they stopped that because it stops other skaters from competing on the grand prix for a chance to earn prize money, So I am against that return of entering 3 - besides its too tiring and injury prone for skaters.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I think few eligible skaters took this offer so it was dropped. The top skaters didn't need the 3rd GP to qualify for the GPF for which they would rather conserve their energy. As well, such allowance may be perceived as simply more earning opportunities for a handful of already high earning skaters. Of course, I mean high earning relative to other skaters, while figure skating prizes are miniscule compared to many popular sports.

Last edited: