2015-2016 Russian Nationals Mens FS | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Russian Nationals Mens FS

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
Congrats 2-time National Champion Maxim Kovtun! Great comeback after a bad NHK FS. I don't think I will ever be a fan of his skaing, but I can appreciate his jumps and Tat's love for him! :)

Also, congrats to Mikhail for a job well done! Wow for bursting out of nowhere to being Russian National Silver Medalist. :yahoo: Who's third?
Petrov

paperhearts

Final Flight

Thanks, I was confused between him and Gordei! Well, congrats too to Sasha for getting on the podium quadless! That's an achievement in itself.

Hopefully Adian heals well. He's a great skater and it's hard to see him fight through injury only to deliver a flawed performance that may have caused him more pain than he already was in... Learn from Yuzu last season and get some time off! It'll be hard to see him not at Worlds nor Euros.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Very poor performance. Only highlights were their lifts.

Edit: OH MAN!!! Wrong theread. I'm sorry :)

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kovtun portrays falling asleep several times and it doesn't work at all! He's just not expressive enough when he's waking up.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Ohhh, I missed the event, but I'm so happy for Mikhail! There aren't a lot of skaters I become a fan of right after their first showing. At CoR I knew he had potential and now he almost won Nats! He has it all, big jumps, solid spins, great programs and solid presentation and skills. He reminds me of Josh last season, when he appeared out of nowhere and won 4CC medal. I hope he will keep his monumentum!

gmyers

Record Breaker
Agreed. Hopefully the two men this year (assuming Kovtun and Kolyada) get back the 3 spots for next season. Russian men are quite deep too with layers and layers of talent. :(

Russia will be lucky to keep 2. Judges don't even know kolyada so even if he did well Russia's two placements couldn't be 13 or less.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Russia will be lucky to keep 2. Judges don't even know kolyada so even if he did well Russia's two placements couldn't be 13 or less.

While getting 3 spots is a hard job, keeping 2 should be possible. Mikhail has Euros to introduce himself to the international judges, at least.

gmyers

Record Breaker
While getting 3 spots is a hard job, keeping 2 should be possible. Mikhail has Euros to introduce himself to the international judges, at least.

Young russian talent doesn't have the same cache of young Japanese or Canadian talent so it might take years not just one euros. All the effort as far as judes goes to kovtun getting high scores.

paperhearts

Final Flight

Hoping, wishing, praying for the success of the Russian men at Worlds! :( Do you think the Russian men would have more of a chance if they send Pitkeev over Mikhail? Not that I want them to, but if reputation is what would keep Kolyada behind... Though of course, I doubt they'd send their 9th man over their 2nd. Hopefully Mikhail makes a name for himself soon. :)

If they go into 2017 Worlds with 2 spots, getting 3 spots at the Olympics would be even harder. :/ A shame for the men.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Hoping, wishing, praying for the success of the Russian men at Worlds! :( Do you think the Russian men would have more of a chance if they send Pitkeev over Mikhail? Not that I want them to, but if reputation is what would keep Kolyada behind... Though of course, I doubt they'd send their 9th man over their 2nd. Hopefully Mikhail makes a name for himself soon. :)

If they go into 2017 Worlds with 2 spots, getting 3 spots at the Olympics would be even harder. :/ A shame for the men.

No I think best shot for 3 is actually with kovtun and kolyada but its still so unlikely. It will take years and not until after 2018. The judges have to see several consistent men or really high level inconsistent like Denis Ten. Kovtun, a Russian Denis ten, and a consistently good skater.

Lota

Record Breaker
I'm just very sad about Pitkeev's situation. It seemed like such a promising season for him, and to have it cut short in such a way... Just too sad :sad21:

Alchamei

Record Breaker

But you have to consider CoR results, where Mikhail scored 80 SP with a FALL and about 81 PCS in his free. No, I think if he is clean, no way he'll be held behind.

My critisim is, however, his free skate. I'm not a fan of some movements but mainly, it's so frontloaded. Five jumping passes in the first half. There is still a lot to work on.

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
Well, Kolyada has been pretty consistent this season, in the way that his mistakes are not dragging him down much. If he went clean, I can totally see him going much better than Kovtun. We just have to wait and see how he deals with the pressure of big competitions.

paperhearts

Final Flight
But you have to consider CoR results, where Mikhail scored 80 SP with a FALL and about 81 PCS in his free. No, I think if he is clean, no way he'll be held behind.

My critisim is, however, his free skate. I'm not a fan of some movements but mainly, it's so frontloaded. Five jumping passes in the first half. There is still a lot to work on.

Hopefully what you say is correct since I have been intrigued by Mikhail's rise this season and I definitely hope for a great Worlds debut for him, but I guess it'll all boil down to how he does on the day itself and how the other men do. If he does what he did at Rostelecom and is scored similarly at a comp like 2015 Worlds, he'd be 4th, but if he does the same and is scored the same at a comp like 2015 GPF, it would be different story. Nerves of being at his first Sr. Worlds might be present too and may affect his performance.

I do see gmyers' point about Mikhail not being very familiar to the international scene outside of Russia being a factor too, I guess we'll see how big it would affect his scoring at Worlds. :) Oh yeah, agree about the Free but it's good to see him landing the jumps and being consistent at least in the comps we've seen of him. Ahh, well, regardless, I do wish him good health and the best of luck at Euros and Worlds! :)