2015-2016 Russian Nationals Mens FS | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Russian Nationals Mens FS

estla

Rinkside
Adian you beautiful doll, so sorry to see you skate with an injury.

He better be sent to Europeans. He is too good. He won a Silver on the Grand Prix!

Through I adore Adian as much as you do, I believe it would be better for him to get some rest now. He definitely injured badly from the fall and should be going to therapy right after that. You could tell he could barely stand up in K&C area.
He's young and there's always next season for him. I just do not wish to see him being sent to a match sacrificing his health.

silverlake22

Record Breaker
Russia will be lucky to keep 2. Judges don't even know kolyada so even if he did well Russia's two placements couldn't be 13 or less.

Kolyada had a good showing at COR and got a pretty strong score there, so I think he should do okay if he delivers. It looks like the quad is getting more consistent, and when he's having a good jumping day, his jumps are textbook. There's a chance he and Kovtun could get a 3rd spot at Worlds. Bear in mind Japan only has 2 spots this season too, the American men besides Aaron and Chen essentially can't do quads (and we don't even know who is on the US team yet), Han Yan and Patrick Chan are rather hot and cold, Boyang's marks are only huge when he hits all his big tricks, and given how insane his FS layout is, the odds of mistakes and sloppiness there are high, Nam and Misha are not looking as strong as last season, etc.

I expect Kolyada and Kovtun to both medal at Euros with Fernandez if they can deliver the goods, and if they do that it will put them in good stead heading into Worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yeah, let's wait and see how he gets placed behind the guys, he "was generously put ahead of" here, at the Worlds, YET ANOTHER YEAR.

https://45.media.tumblr.com/dd7b0ede7a6e41d773b2305550f6e4f0/tumblr_n1hie4H7nj1slj24go1_400.gif

https://media2.giphy.com/media/gCae1OMI2VgNa/giphy.gif

Who cares? No Russian man would place on the podium at Worlds, nor will they win Euros. They're all just there to place behind Javier and Kovtun won't get better than his Euros silver from last year.

And which guys did Kovtun get placed behind "yet another year"? Kovtun placed higher than Voronov last year at Worlds... And the year before.

Russian Nationals should have been Kovtun's main goal, and he got it. No current Russian man can win at Worlds or Euros so the next best thing is winning the most major competition that a Russian man *can* win right now. Which he did. #SorryBoutIt :laugh:

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Kovtun will be brought back down to earth at Worlds...

Meh. World podium is pretty much sealed in terms of any Russian man getting on there, so Kovtun shouldn't be too bummed if he doesn't medal there. Obviously his scores will be lower at Worlds but the win here was what was most important. The best he can probably hope for at Euros is silver which he got last year, so other than that he pretty much did what he needed to do. Landing 4 (almost 5) clean quads was also a pretty huge statement.

Last edited:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Nice to see Kovtun getting 10.00s for choreo and interpretation. I'm not even sure why they're doing this, Kolyada was much better in PCS and should have won both FS and the entire competition if Kovtun got just "very overrated" PCS like 86 instead of "unbelievably ridiculously overrated" PCS.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
10s for Kovtun?:eeking:
For me, the only good thing about his FS was that it made me go rewatch this :eek:hwell:

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Kolyada is really something! He and Aliev are my reason to watch the Russian men's event.
We can see him at Euros.

Naya

On the Ice
Kovtun's FP has many comedy moments with some weird gestures and facial expressions, I wonder if it was intentional... Well, I hope he lands those quads at Euros and Worlds :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nice to see Kovtun getting 10.00s for choreo and interpretation. I'm not even sure why they're doing this, Kolyada was much better in PCS and should have won both FS and the entire competition if Kovtun got just "very overrated" PCS like 86 instead of "unbelievably ridiculously overrated" PCS.

It's Russian Nats. 10.00s are given out to the winner, especially if they skate essentially clean like Kovtun did.

It's funny that people say Kovtun will be brought back down to earth at Worlds and they wouldn't say the same thing about Medvedeva or the pairs (V/T getting 77 PCS with a fall lol) and ice dance teams, that their scores will be brought back down to earth. Lol... The haterade is extra concentrated for Kovtun. :biggrin:

Scores aren't important, since everyone knows that Russian Nats PCS is ridiculous (eg, Plushenko getting 95 PCS) the performance and placements is what counts.

Last edited:

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Just caught up watching the archived stream of this (thank you, sportbox). Most people probably don't share my opinion, but I am very happy with seeing (presumably) Kovtun and Kolyada go to Euros and Worlds. Kolyada blew me away in the GP series, and I actually happen to think Kovtun's FS is good fun, It may not be the best platform to showcase skating skills (which I'm sure is intentional), but I do find it very entertaining, and it fits his style. It did what it was supposed to do, get him to the top of the Russian rankings. It may pale by comparison to some of the other skaters at Worlds, but it should be good enough for a high placement at Euros, at least.
Plus, anyone who does weird things in his program like hands rubbing, and falling asleep, just gets a few brownie points from me. ;-)

paulusfr

On the Ice
Fed's logic is something like "the more quads you (can) do, the more pcs you'll get". Recently Lakiernik talked about this quite clearly.
But I also can say quite clearly that it's not a figure skating.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Kolyada had a good showing at COR and got a pretty strong score there, so I think he should do okay if he delivers. It looks like the quad is getting more consistent, and when he's having a good jumping day, his jumps are textbook. There's a chance he and Kovtun could get a 3rd spot at Worlds. Bear in mind Japan only has 2 spots this season too, the American men besides Aaron and Chen essentially can't do quads (and we don't even know who is on the US team yet), Han Yan and Patrick Chan are rather hot and cold, Boyang's marks are only huge when he hits all his big tricks, and given how insane his FS layout is, the odds of mistakes and sloppiness there are high, Nam and Misha are not looking as strong as last season, etc.

I expect Kolyada and Kovtun to both medal at Euros with Fernandez if they can deliver the goods, and if they do that it will put them in good stead heading into Worlds.

Are you thinking like 5 and 6, or 6 and 7? Because that's almost too incredible to believe! 4 again for kovtun and 9 for kolyada? Its so difficult to believe kovtun at 4 again. Everyone has talked About his inability to do two common triples and overreliance on quads. I doubt he can get 4th again.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/gCae1OMI2VgNa/giphy.gif

Who cares? No Russian man would place on the podium at Worlds, nor will they win Euros. They're all just there to place behind Javier and Kovtun won't get better than his Euros silver from last year.

And which guys did Kovtun get placed behind "yet another year"? Kovtun placed higher than Voronov last year at Worlds... And the year before.

Russian Nationals should have been Kovtun's main goal, and he got it. No current Russian man can win at Worlds or Euros so the next best thing is winning the most major competition that a Russian man *can* win right now. Which he did. #SorryBoutIt :laugh:

Sure it should be his goals but his performances don't justify the judges giving him the titles. He talent is not there for euro wins or world medals or shouldn't be.

It's Russian Nats. 10.00s are given out to the winner, especially if they skate essentially clean like Kovtun did.

It's funny that people say Kovtun will be brought back down to earth at Worlds and they wouldn't say the same thing about Medvedeva or the pairs (V/T getting 77 PCS with a fall lol) and ice dance teams, that their scores will be brought back down to earth. Lol... The haterade is extra concentrated for Kovtun. :biggrin:

Scores aren't important, since everyone knows that Russian Nats PCS is ridiculous (eg, Plushenko getting 95 PCS) the performance and placements is what counts.

Medvedeva and v/t are in a great position to win and get high if lower pcs kovtun won't win or medal at worlds. He doesn't have the talent in his discipline that medvedeva and v/t have in theirs. Its amazing kovtun was actually beaten by voronov and menshov at euros when he was russian champion. Kovtun is just not going anywhere.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
While I don't think Kovtun will win anything major, he has had some solid performances. Three Russian championships in a row, Euros silver... Won both his Grand Prixs last year.

It's a little early to say if Kovtun will go anywhere. But I can guarantee that if it was Voronov or Pitkeev who won, they wouldn't be saying disparaging stuff like "well he has no chance to win like Medvedeva or v/t so his high PCS is worth ridicule whereas theirs is inflated but they can still win." But of course, people like Kovtun less so they'll take the opportunity to trash him more.

If Kovtun lost to Kolyada people would say "oh well he couldn't even beat essentially a junior turned senior". And with Kovtun beating Kolyada they're saying he barely beat him. Kovtun is damned if he does damned if he doesn't by his haters no matter how well or poorly he skates/places.

It's a national championship - the scores are bound to be high and skaters know very well that their scores won't be as high internationally. Kovtun knows he would be brought down to earth just as I'm sure Hanyu knows he wouldn't get 48 PCS with an SP fall and 96 PCS with 2 FS falls internationally.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
It's a national championship - the scores are bound to be high and skaters know very well that their scores won't be as high internationally. Kovtun knows he would be brought down to earth just as I'm sure Hanyu knows he wouldn't get 48 PCS with an SP fall and 96 PCS with 2 FS falls internationally.

Well, that is true, but there are some points why Kovtun is getting more complaints then others. For most, he's already overscored internationally. Then, these extra bonuses at nats show something like a "federation favoritism rating" - and for most Kovtun never deserved to be favored over others like Voronov or Menshov. He had good showings like 4th at worlds 2014, but he also regularly has skates like NHK this season. Other skaters like Medvedeva or V/T have "earned" their favorite status, but Kovtun always had the "gets mostly supported because of TAT" status.

And if you want to bring Yuzuru into this... while he won't get those PCS with falls, they are actually lower than his PCS for clean skates internationally. His overall score took a hit of over 8 points. And this is Yuzuru who has "earned" his favorite status going into nats as much as anyone could. OTOH, Kovtun with a fall scored a higher SP score then he ever did clean internationally. He had essentially the same skate minus the fall at TEB and scored more than 6 points less there. That makes it pretty clear IMO why few people complain over Yuzuru's scores, but can't help but shake their heads at Kovtuns.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
dont bring Yuzu into this please
The King & Kovtun shouldnt be in the same post :laugh:

adelia

Record Breaker
Petrov actually has been skating with an injury. One and a half weeks ago he seriously twisted his leg and suffered some damage to his ligaments. So it's amazing how well he skated.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I was not really sure why Kovtun was pumping and jumping from happiness so much. With 5 quads!!!! he was almost bitten by Kolyada. LOL.

It's an achievement when his butt didn't touch the ice.

And watching his take-off technique after watching Yuzu's.... irritating. I kinda like the program though, but wish the last 1/3 didn't feel so flat.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, that is true, but there are some points why Kovtun is getting more complaints then others. For most, he's already overscored internationally. Then, these extra bonuses at nats show something like a "federation favoritism rating" - and for most Kovtun never deserved to be favored over others like Voronov or Menshov. He had good showings like 4th at worlds 2014, but he also regularly has skates like NHK this season. Other skaters like Medvedeva or V/T have "earned" their favorite status, but Kovtun always had the "gets mostly supported because of TAT" status.

And if you want to bring Yuzuru into this... while he won't get those PCS with falls, they are actually lower than his PCS for clean skates internationally. His overall score took a hit of over 8 points. And this is Yuzuru who has "earned" his favorite status going into nats as much as anyone could. OTOH, Kovtun with a fall scored a higher SP score then he ever did clean internationally. He had essentially the same skate minus the fall at TEB and scored more than 6 points less there. That makes it pretty clear IMO why few people complain over Yuzuru's scores, but can't help but shake their heads at Kovtuns.

Hanyu's PCS was 47.77 in the SP with a fall. His PCS shouldn't have been more than 45 and his score shouldn't have cleared 100 with a fall.

I agree that Kovtun has been periodically overscored but it's happened to every skater including Hanyu (84 at Cup of China). But that's a reason to disparage the judging not the skater and I seems people cut Hanyu slack because he is (understandably) more well liked than Kovtun.... I mean it's honestly ridiculous that anyone can justify a score of 100 points.

Hanyu's scores have gotten so high that people compare his score of 102 to his max score of 110 and suddenly a SP with a fall over 100 points is justified. As a general concept, that doesn't make sense.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Well, if Kovtun is "overscored" internationally, there must be a reason for it = the judges like his performances. He deserves his scores, otherwise international judges would not give him high scores. I doubt that international judges care one hoot about some Tarasova connection :roll9:

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
He deserves his scores, otherwise international judges would not give him high scores.

Okay, then I hope you have never ever complained over any scoring and always accepted any scores and results. Most people don't.