2015 Cup of China Free Dance | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2015 Cup of China Free Dance

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Latin quoter and tarot reader :cool2:. I must have missed the anti C/B posts(will catch up later). I feel fortunate to be able to watch the varied expressions of beauty all these dancers bring :yahoo:. And all I had to do is turn on my computer and web browser(if only laziness was an art form:devil:. Erm, I mean conservation of energy).

When I started watching ice skating, you were lucky if Wide World of Sports covered an event on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, and you got to see maybe--maybe!--the medal winning performances (and almost never Pairs or Dance, unless the US had a medal contender). So it's quite the miracle to me to be able to watch an entire competition via the web. I remember Ziggy telling me that some of the most interesting programs are from the lower ranked couples, because they have to go that extra mile to get the judges' attention. And he was right! Plus, how else would I ever have experienced the sheer fun of Latvian commercials for what appeared to be every malady under the sun (and also butter--A Very Strange Combo indeed!). These are good times. :)

Idontsk8

On the Ice
Congratulations to the medalists! I could see now their performances and I think the results were correct, so here's my take:

- I/Z - oh I love them and I love the program but today they seemed so nervous, maybe having to go earlier than initial thought didn't help. The dance seemed more rushed than in previous outings and they lost energy towards the end. I understand why the Portuguese Eurosport announcers didn't like so much the program (they said the couple is amazing but they would do better other music styles and that the music is monotonous) because they need to be all-in the program to show all the intricacy. It will be better in CoR for sure.

- C/B - Even though they got higher scores than in Skate America, they seemed more tentative today. I admire their strengths but I don't like this program for them at all, I love the piece and don't mind it being overused but I would have a totally different concept in mind. Congrats to them for making the GPF :cheer:

- C/L - My favorite! The more lively music helps for sure and the program was very well skated. I know this is very much their style but that's what they do well and so nice to see them coming back so nicely! Hope they can keep the momentum for the rest of the season :)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Anna & Luca!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME performance.

So . . . CoR. Not only the major drama between the Russian teams. But now Weaver & Poje vs. Cappellini & Lanotte. Two top scores on the GP so far. How often does that match-up happen early in the Grand Prix in dance?! But first up . . .TEB. And the biggest mystery of the season. (If the world champions compete).

Astrid56

Final Flight
The music of C/L demanded those fun, lighthearted, and intricate steps but I think, overall, C/B had a more superb performance _ great interpretation, organic artistry, and fluidity. I don't know what else they can do with the step-sequences issue because as it is, the step pattern suited the tempo and the sentiments of the piece. I guess, since ice-dancing is more of a sport - it behooves to incorporate more intricate steps (to raise the program's technical score) than is needed_ dance-wise. Dance is more of an interpretive medium _ a poetry in motion. The dance steps can be simpler as long as it suits the sentiments, mood, concept, and the music. Well, C/B with Igor have a month to strategize and work on how to overcome the program's technical deficits to be more competitive to improve their GPF score.

Last edited:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Love C/L's program! Anna always has pretty dresses, and this one particularly beautiful, love the white lining.

What surprised me most is the Chinese team Zhao/Zheng. China now finally has a real dance team, a girl that is a dancer. I believe Zheng was with another girl before, and I honestly never had the patience to finish watching a program. This time I was just kill time between Mens' live stream and I finished watching Zhao/Zheng's program and loved it! I could watch it again.

moon

On the Ice
I love her passion, but this FD is not well choreographed. Frida should have been used a few years down the road.Perhaps when they are better skaters.

I/Z was a sloppy skate with level 4 theatrics. IMO they should not be getting PCS of anywhere near 51. Average transitions, Average choreography (lots of choreo while at a stop) , average ability to to navigate around one another when in hold etc. I would put them closer to the baby Italians in PCS , 47. Continuing PCS boosts arent doing them any favors in the long run because they wont be motivated to work on any weaknesses if they dont think they have any. They are skating as two people not a team. S/K are going to surpass them which is a shocker to me. Elena and Ruslan are fantastic skaters individually but something just isnt happening for them . Work!

Kittosuni

Medalist
I/Z was a sloppy skate with level 4 theatrics. IMO they should not be getting PCS of anywhere near 51. Average transitions, Average choreography (lots of choreo while at a stop) , average ability to to navigate around one another when in hold etc. I would put them closer to the baby Italians in PCS , 47. Continuing PCS boosts arent doing them any favors in the long run because they wont be motivated to work on any weaknesses if they dont think they have any. They are skating as two people not a team. S/K are going to surpass them which is a shocker to me. Elena and Ruslan are fantastic skaters individually but something just isnt happening for them . Work!

I thought I/Z's transitions are pretty good even better than C/B. In theory their choreo and program concept should be smashing the competition but i have to agree with you, they are good individually but not delivering as partners. Im such an I/Z fan so im not giving up yet. COR result will be a good indication where this team stands since S/K is there.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
I loved Ruslena' FD, just saw it now. It is a very sutle, even subdued choreography but I really liked it and it really touched me.

Well done to Anna and Luca. I'll always cheer for them :) and also thank you because like that my predictions were correct :yahoo:

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I thought I/Z's transitions are pretty good even better than C/B. In theory their choreo and program concept should be smashing the competition but i have to agree with you, they are good individually but not delivering as partners. Im such an I/Z fan so im not giving up yet. COR result will be a good indication where this team stands since S/K is there.

I think Frida could work for them if they have been skating longer and understand each other's movement better. Right now, they are both fantastic dancer and skater individually, but for some reason, the quality of their movements just clash with each other. And the music doesn't help them because it's monotonous and requires them to be perfect at every moment. I actually think their Appasionata (don't know if I spell that right lol) is actually better even though it's so generic.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
What I like about Anna and Luca is that they're probably the only team who can pull this dance off and score 106+ points for it. It suits them so perfectly, like a glove. Literally. After last season Cup of China disaster, when Zoueva created a big dramatic free dance for them, they decided to go back to their usual sweet, light and funny style. That was a super smart decision, because they obviously love it and can artistically show the best side of it.
I also enjoyed Frida and Chock/Bates free dance this time, it was a very interesting competition overall for me personally. I completely agree with final results.

Plisskin

Medalist
Just got finished watching the competition and I really loved Chock and Bates FD. They were my favorite in the FD. I'm not a fan and this is the first time I have liked any of this team's programs.

whatif

Medalist
I bet Vikita and Marina are having some very good laugh somewhere. :laugh2:

Who is Russia's number one again????

Ruslenas should be worried by now.

Something is missing with C/B, they just stop short of that gold medal worthiness, for me. Worlds are going to be a bloodbath this year, and I hope Shibutanis walk over those corps to that top spot.

Last edited:

Astrid56

Final Flight
Igor is supposed to be a bad choreographer but C/B's SD and FD programs, choreography/dance-wise, have been very good. If only he can do something to improve the technical elements to up the technical scores of both programs. Once the technical issue is resolved, the PCS will go up considerably.

The Frida program from a technical perspective was great but the challenge of depicting the complex biopic in an ice-dance mode is quite knotty. I think, the judges found it artistically overwhelming. The champion's program (C/L) was just the opposite_ technically demanding but the concept/theme is direct and simple. The choreographer structured it so to enhance its entertainment value. On the whole, I immensely enjoyed this competition more than I did SA and SC. The medalists presented a great variety in terms of style, concept and substance.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice dancing is depressing this season. No team that makes you :love: when these teams skate. How depressing if C/L somehow win another World title. That will equal D/W and V/M who were light years better then them. And people are always trashing Madison for her skating skills but Anna is not any better to be honest.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
Chock / Bates have a very flowing quality across the ice. If Madison has such dreadful SS as so many here say, how do they manage this?

That might sound partisan. It isn't. I have no overwhelming faves in the ice dance at this event. It also might sound sarcastic. It isn't. I am genuinely enquiring how this computes.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
I bet Vikita and Marina are having some very good laugh somewhere. :laugh2:

Who is Russia's number one again????

Ruslenas should be worried by now.

Something is missing with C/B, they just stop short of that gold medal worthiness, for me. Worlds are going to be a bloodbath this year, and I hope Shibutanis walk over those corps to that top spot.

At the moment noone is Russian №1 team. Nationals and Europeans will show.
My guess is that I/Z, B/S and S/K got to Europeans and the top 2 from there goes to Worlds. M/K and S/B will be in the team only if one of these 3 teams fails badly.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I find it curious that C/B were awarded level 2 on both step sequences. Unquestionably, both are choreographed as level 4 if skated perfectly (though level 4 is not awarded often). Absent an obvious trip, etc., there can be a shallow entry or exit edge on a turn or a twizzle problem that reduces the level.

However, to get two level twos is unusual for a top team. It raises two potential explanations in my mind: either they were being gifted previously with level 3s, or, the Italian caller was really looking at their step with a microscope. Not sure which or either, but I'd be concerned. They are fortunate to have lots of time to work on this.

Btw, I usually keep my costume comments to myself but Evan's is just awful. And while Madison has a nice dress, I think the slit in the front
Is way too high.