2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
OMG!!! I finally watched the clip with all the smiley little flower girls. Who's idea was it to have them go to the K-n-C and deliver an over abundant amount of flowers to the skaters. That's really not a good idea. It's like sending an ex girlfriend into a reality show and filming them at the most emotional moment. I would have started chucking them too although I would have been laughing and not fuming, then I again I have lower expectations out of myself. I hope this means fiery Yulia is back! Now let's focus that fire back onto the media and the ice. :thumbsup: Definitely a step in the right direction for her today and the haters are back at it :popcorn: I think people take this stuff way to seriously and we need more fiery attitudes. I love Mariah Bell but I hope she gets more angry about her bad skates. She has too much potential to go down and flames and smile it off. Funk that....this is your future girl. While I don't advise taking it out on flower girls I'm 100% all for people slamming flowers around! In fact I'd be honored if any skater slammed my flowers on the ground and shredded them with their knife boots. :love:

I like this post, lol. On a serious note though it was the way she snatched them out of their hands. The flower girls are just kids and kids take things to heart. That's all I am saying. I like Yulia and her skating and it's obvious she is struggling with her patience for the growing process. People were very bent about the medal thing last year and everyone is picking apart her jumps and issues. I am sure today will bring more negative comments and honestly she doesn't need that right now. She needs to fight and work the process.

ericpkh98

Rinkside
Then you don't know the skating world that well (no offence).

It´s common that these young kids get a meet and greet, have the chance to take pictures or receive autographs. Besides that, they are skaters themselves, I am sure they had such moments as well and understand. I honestly think you don't like her for some other reason than the K&C, therefore I will just stop it here and hope you will cool down a bit. ;)

Last but not least, I saw the skate now and the "situation" and there is absolutely nothing bad to see. She is obviously a bit unhappy, but its her job to "receive" the flowers, that's the rule book and that's why she grabs them and puts them next to her.

Really guys, nothing bad happened :)

yes, I do know that skaters do sign their autographs to flower girls and have pictures with them. But what I tried to point out ever since my first comment was that Lipnitskaya needs to keep her basic manners regardless of her fiery personality. Besides her rude manners, I have nothing wrong with her. I like her Schindler's list Fs, basically most of her programs and I think she has huge potential with her Fs this season. I just want to say that skater of lipnitskaya's class needs to maintain her dignity and class in terms of manners and aura. Period.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Add me to the camp "iconinc Bourne/Kraaz Riverdance", heh. Rika's good, Jason's great, but that one was iconic.
Did you just went on Youtube to watch it or you remember it from seing it years ago?:) Just curious.
As long as we don't get to see neither Shae-Lynn/Victor nor Jason Riverdance routine this season I am going to enjoy Rika's LP. I think it has a lot of potential and I hope she wins a few good medals with it. Plus I really love her both programs and dresses, and she's grown in artistic expression too. I love that.

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
My Mom was watching a few skaters with me including Yulia and Rika. She was surprised with the different attitude towards flower and toys girls from Yulia and Rika (and also from Serghey and Ryuju Hino). Like- why didn't Yulia at least thank those girls or bow at least one time, give them a smile. That is really not good from PR point of view. I think it's the attitude problem and somebody should teach Yulia to act different because it's daunting to her image. People love her so much and it is really not that much to thank everyone with a smile, and then get bored and pissed off because the skate wasn't really that awesome.
It does not mean that I don't like her or anything- but this kind of behaviour should disappear as long as she's on public. She really needs that from the sponsorship point of view too. Nice and polite, no matter what. If she's a huge fan of Mr. Hanyu- that's something she could learn from him.;)
Basically I agree with what you said. IMO Julia's way too introverted personality is disadvantageous to the development of her future skating career. Hopefully her confidence will not be hurt by today's subpar performance.

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Basically I agree with what you said. IMO Julia's way too introverted personality is disadvantageous to the development of her future skating career. Hopefully her confidence will not be hurt by today's subpar performance.
I think she's going to be fine. She just has to believe in herself and go on. It is going to be tough for her, her body is changing, her technique has to be adjusted but she will be fine. Maybe if she finds the possibility to change her coach as she wanted and find a new motivation then we could see her progressing faster, who knows. Right now she needs to go on and learn. I wish her good luck with all of that.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I am surprised... Red Violin is a very hard musical piece to nail, because it has no "clearly set image." Kind of like Prokofiev's music, but it's actually harder b/c Red Violin doesn't really have a cohesive theme or characteristic like Prokofiev does...

Indeed its lack of shape was one of the many reasons why i intially got a little fascinated with the music through Michelle Kwan's performance having never heard the music before. In fact if I recall, she skated to it before the film was even released? The music has little obvious instructions or built in emotions like Violin sound has a life force of its own, wholly unpredictable, volatile, emotional like a person with a story to tell.. Yet without obvious form, MK was able to keep the audience captivated and haunted through pure skating movements, taking onto a journey like the unraveling of a thrilling love mystery you are not sure where it is to go.

It is a program without preconceived notions unlike so many more familiar music with built in emotional factors. It'd be a real testament to the performer's skills to make something like this to work, little support, story or themes to rely on, margins for error to sustain the audience into one long transient intimate hypnosis. Certainly a challenge for a young upcoming skater who is not the most consistent there is. I hope this program can be a little bit more than just another stepping stone for SYP and she can some how make it more into her own, bring her special blend of sophistication, musical nuance and delicacy to it. As far as I can tell, her interpretation is much more rich and sharper than yesterday. Not bad for first outing!

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like this post, lol. On a serious note though it was the way she snatched them out of their hands. The flower girls are just kids and kids take things to heart. That's all I am saying. I like Yulia and her skating and it's obvious she is struggling with her patience for the growing process. People were very bent about the medal thing last year and everyone is picking apart her jumps and issues. I am sure today will bring more negative comments and honestly she doesn't need that right now. She needs to fight and work the process.

:thumbsup:

I completely understand your point of view. That's cool. I just have no expectations of professional athletes and choose to get a chuckle out of her ...um..ah...spirited attitude. She's a young fiery perfectionist who is clearly going thru her womanly changes so....I guess it's not that unexpected for me. if I were the event coordinator I'd have chuckled a little before today's programs and said something like...hey...let's not send a line of smiley girls with two arm loads full of flowers near that Lipnitskaya girl today :biggrin:

Didn't another Russian girl miss a medal ceremony this season. Lolz..what's up with that. I still wish they'd replace the ceremonies with a jump of. Those ceremonies are such a snooze fest.

Last edited:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Re Yulia in the K&C:
While I try not to be too hard on teenage skaters (a woman my ***. Sorry, but she's a teenager. No offense. Just a fact.) ....she did look pretty pissed and rough from where I was sitting. People around me seemed to think it was kind of cute how she kept shoving away the toys and flowers and stuffing it all on one big pile. Didn't look all too cute to me to be honest. I get that she was frustrated. But that's no reason to be rude. Even if I had a rough day at the office, I try not to take it out on other people. Just because I'm pissed doesn't mean that I have to snark at the help at the supermarket or whatever. But like I said, she's a teenager *shrugs* snatching the gifts from the flower girls was unnecessary, but not a reason to damn her forever.

Happy comment:
Rika was awesome :party: great to watch, and that program is a total crowd pleaser. People were really going for that. Congrats to her, I think that was well deserved today :clap:

Rissa

Record Breaker
Did you just went on Youtube to watch it or you remember it from seing it years ago?:) Just curious.
As long as we don't get to see neither Shae-Lynn/Victor nor Jason Riverdance routine this season I am going to enjoy Rika's LP. I think it has a lot of potential and I hope she wins a few good medals with it. Plus I really love her both programs and dresses, and she's grown in artistic expression too. I love that.

I remember it from years ago. I think it was Nagano?? It was back when Ice Dance was my favorite discipline and I remember all top programs quite well: the amazing emotional Grishuk/Platov Requiem, weird Krylova/Ovsiannkov african thing that I didn't get or like back then, and the super fun Bourne/Kraaz Riverdance with those perfect dance steps. My teenage self was so butthurt they didn't get the silver with it! :laugh:

I liked Jason's a lot and really enjoy Rika's too. It seems to me that there's been much improvement since she first performed it in a summer show, it seemed empty for note-filled music likee Riverdance back then, so I'm hopefull that she'll improve it even more throught the season. I must admit that I prefer Rika's Quidam SP by a mile, but Riverdance suits her, as she seems to do well with lively music.

Last edited:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
Those ceremonies are such a snooze fest.
Recalling the Men's medal ceremony at GPF Barcelona last year... and then Finlandia Trophy Men's medal ceremony from 2012 as well... Nooo, some ceremonies are actually lots of fun to watch. Lets not ditch them.;)

ericpkh98

Rinkside
Indeed its lack of shape was one of the many reasons why i intially got a little fascinated with the music through Michelle Kwan's performance having never heard the music before. In fact if I recall, she skated to it before the film was even released? The music has little obvious instructions or built in emotions like Violin sound has a life force of its own, wholly unpredictable, volatile, emotional like a person with a story to tell.. Yet without obvious form, MK was able to keep the audience hypnotized and haunted through pure skating movements, taking onto a journey like the unraveling of a thrilling love mystery you are not sure where it is to go.

It is a program without preconceived notions like so many more familiar music with built in emotional factors. It'd be a real testament to the performer's skills to make something like this to work, little support, story or themes to rely on, margins for error to sustain the audience into one long transient intimate hypnosis. Certainly a challenge for a young upcoming skater who is not the most consistent there is. I hope this program can be a little bit more than just another stepping stone for SYP and she can some how make it more into her own, bring her special blend of sophistication, musical nuance and delicacy to it. As far as I can tell, her interpretation is much more rich and sharper than yesterday. Not bad for first outing!

agreed. Not bad for first outing :) She has improvements to make including her FSSp problem. She was actually discussing on the issue with her coach and said they might put other position instead of going right into cannonball position(pancake position? was what they mentioned). She has a lot of improvements to make, and let's see how she does in SA :cool:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I was born in Russia, okay? To me Yulia's behaviour was rude. Don't speak from the entire Russian Federation about common public etiquette, please.

I was born in Russia and I have same feelings :shrug:

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I remember it from years ago. I think it was Nagano?? It was back when Ice Dance was my favorite discipline and I remember all top programs quite well: the amazing emotional Grishuk/Platov Requiem, weird Krylova/Ovsiannkov african thing that I didn't get or like back then, and the super fun Bourne/Kraaz Riverdance. My teenage self was so butthurt they didn't get the silver with it! :laugh:
Yeah, Nagano. I was a teenager as well but I just loved watching figure skating with my family so I remember big names and their big dances from that time. I also remember a lot from other favorites from Men and Ladies fields. I think rules were a bit less crazy back then and beautiful routines happenned more often. Or so it seems to me now, I don't know.
Basically Riverdance is an awesome music, awesome, it has such a beautiful energy so it is really hard to bring a special choreo and- what is more important- great performance for it. Those who managed will be remembered years to come. It was very clever of Jason to take it to Olympics.;) If Rika goes to Worlds I hope her LP will be amazing to watch.

theteez

Rinkside
Country
Canada
Sure it is work but let's not forget it is a sport. Whether amateur or competitive sports, athletes are always impressed upon to conduct "sportsman-like" attitude whether it's a win or loss. Furthermore, as an international, world-famous athlete, she is an ambassador and represent her country in her actions so I guess in your opinion it's okay to act out your disappointment in front of the cameras, slamming those flowers/gifts down on the sofa with a major pout especially in front of very young impressionable figure skaters. This obviously distinguishes gifted athletes in all other sports who are gracious and kind even in their defeat.

Last edited:

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I remember it from years ago. I think it was Nagano?? It was back when Ice Dance was my favorite discipline and I remember all top programs quite well: the amazing emotional Grishuk/Platov Requiem, weird Krylova/Ovsiannkov african thing that I didn't get or like back then, and the super fun Bourne/Kraaz Riverdance with those perfect dance steps. My teenage self was so butthurt they didn't get the silver with it! :laugh:

I liked Jason's a lot and really enjoy Rika's too. It seems to me that there's been much improvement since she first performed it in a summer show, it seemed empty for note-filled music likee Riverdance back then, so I'm hopefull that she'll improve it even more throught the season. I must admit that I prefer Rika's Quidam SP by a mile, but Riverdance suits her, as she seems to do well with lively music.

Weird Krylova/Ovsiannikov African thing came one year later. During the Olympic season they skated to Carmen :) Due to time difference, I remember watching it late at night, videorecording all the figure skating competition (!) and almost biting my nails for Grishuk/Platov's victory. And I remember perfectly well the top 4 FD programs: Requiem, Carmen, Riverdance and Romeo and Juliet :)

Rissa

Record Breaker
Weird Krylova/Ovsiannikov African thing came one year later. During the Olympic season they skated to Carmen :) Due to time difference, I remember watching it late at night, videorecording all the figure skating competition (!) and almost biting my nails for Grishuk/Platov's victory. And I remember perfectly well the top 4 FD programs: Requiem, Carmen, Riverdance and Romeo and Juliet :)

:facepalm: Oh that's right, Carmen! That Carmen was so memorable that to this day one of the few names my mom actively recognizes is Anjelica Krylova. Last season I made her watch figure skating with me and she heard the commentator say that the coach sitting next to the sakters is Angelica Krylova and she was all, "Oh, she's the Carmen one, she looks so good now!"

And yep, Romeo and Juliet, I remeber thinking how hot Peizerat was, lol.

Yeah, Nagano. I was a teenager as well but I just loved watching figure skating with my family so I remember big names and their big dances from that time. I also remember a lot from other favorites from Men and Ladies fields. I think rules were a bit less crazy back then and beautiful routines happenned more often. Or so it seems to me now, I don't know.
Basically Riverdance is an awesome music, awesome, it has such a beautiful energy so it is really hard to bring a special choreo and- what is more important- great performance for it. Those who managed will be remembered years to come. It was very clever of Jason to take it to Olympics.;) If Rika goes to Worlds I hope her LP will be amazing to watch.

Yea, it's great music although I think it's really hard to pull off on ice because it lends itself better to jerky on-floor dancing than smooth on-ice dancing so kudos to those who can pull it off. As far as the tighter rules nowadays go, to me it seems that it hurt ice-dance but benefited singles because I enjoy singles way more nowadays than in the past.:confused2:

And, as I wrote a few pages back, I'll be crossing everything I have for Rika to make it to GPF, just in case wishing magic works. :yes:

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Finally got to see what everyone was saying about Julia's SP dress. I actually quite like it. Yes it does look tacky, but I quite like it. I don't know, I'm probably just one who likes the weird and crazy stuff.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Just saw the footage of Julia in the K&C.

Yeah, she was a bit rude. It was obvious she didn't feel like being bothered by the flower girls and their seemingly endless stream of stuff. By the 3rd girl she started snatching stuff and by the 5th, she looked completely over it and annoyed. It was actually kinda funny to me :laugh2:. Maybe it would have been better for her to gesture to the girls to pile the stuff onto the sofa rather than hand it to her. By the 2nd flower girl, they would have caught on and wouldn't stand there trying to hand stuff to her.

Julia is young and has been struggling. I totally get that she was pissed off but she does need to remember that people are watching her which means she owes it to herself to remember to be gracious even though it's tough for her. She wears her feelings on her sleeves so when she's pissed or upset, she doesn't do a good job of hiding it which is fine for her...but when she's interacting with others, she just needs to remember to reel it in a bit.