2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Free Dance Feb 13 Seoul time

bixby

Final Flight
I uploaded the top 3 FD's of Eurosport2 HD coverage:

Weaver/Poje FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)
Chock/Bates FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)
Shibutani's FD B.ESP2 (720p HD)

They weren't too hot on Weaver/Poje's FD -- said Kaitlyn's dress was distracting, and Andrew's outfit in combination didn't jive as a couple. "Not a perfect routine", and they thought W/P will not stack up against P/C at Worlds...

Andrew is such a big dude dancing with Kaitlyn on the ice and I find him "clanky" if that's the right word I'm looking for. He's not smooth to the eyes or easy to watch. He's more of a hockey player type of built. There's was nothing to savor or something that sticks to you and say WOW! They're just good. P/C on the other hand is easy to watch and you can relax and just enjoy watching them perform. Just my two cents. Nothing against them.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Thanks Sabinfire! Quick question, has there been other Eurosport videos for this competition yet?

No, today Eurosport has only shown the top 3 in Ice Dance. There is additional coverage scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, but they will be tape-delayed highlights... probably very similar to today... only showing the top 3 or so.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
No, today Eurosport has only shown the top 3 in Ice Dance. There is additional coverage scheduled for Saturday and Sunday, but they will be tape-delayed highlights... probably very similar to today... only showing the top 3 or so.

That's kind of a bummer. I kinda want to hear their opinion on Joshua Farris, Misha Ge and Murakami's sp.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I want kaitlyn and Andrew to win this years worlds. After that, im happy for other teams to take over.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
That's kind of a bummer. I kinda want to hear their opinion on Joshua Farris, Misha Ge and Murakami's sp.

Today they had 75 minutes of coverage.

Tomorrow will be 105 minutes.

Sunday will be 60 minutes.

They need to fit Pairs, Men, and Ladies into that remaining 165 minutes...

beki

Medalist
W/P are the kind of team I love right up to silver, but for gold I want more. I enjoy their step sequences but feel some other elements have stagnated: twizzles, lifts. It's not only them though, no one is up to V/M and D/W's level just yet.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hear you, beki.

I think we've been spoiled for the past four or five years with V/M and D/W.

Those skating now aren't in the same league.

Still, someone must be World Champion. It really doesn't matter who it is, since none of them will be remembered as being truly great.

I feel the same way about the ladies, as well. Just throw the medals on the ice, and let 'em fight it out. Literally.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hear you, beki.

Still, someone must be World Champion. It really doesn't matter who it is, since none of them will be remembered as being truly great.

I feel the same way about the ladies, as well. Just throw the medals on the ice, and let 'em fight it out. Literally.

My hope is that they can actually fight it out rather than have to overcome some pecking order.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I hear you, beki.

Unfortunately it is VERY true.....

Big Deal

Final Flight
I want Virtue/Moir back!!!!!
Judges made the disgrace to let them to leave like they had to being one of he best icedancer of all-time.

(I hate Zueva to sell their chance for USFSA for money I am sure.)

Last edited by a moderator:

slider11

Medalist
Interesting analysis with the statistical comparison of Anna and Luca with Maia and Alex. I see the top 5 ice dances teams right now as being Weaver/Poje, Cizeron/Papadakis, Chock/Bates, Shibs, and Cappellinni/Lanotte. But I think that any of these teams' order could be changed either by improvements made over the next month, a "lights out" performance at Worlds or, unfortunately, a fatal error in a performance. You're right that Anna and Luca seem to be on the rebound after a poor start this season. And as Worlds Champions does that status give them a bit of help in the eyes of the judges? Shibs have been ok all season but not showing the spark that will get them to the podium until Nationals and then 4CC. Ice dance will be fun at Worlds! i
Taking a look at the protocals, they lost about 1 point on levels, plus at least a point in +GOE. So you are correct that the score would have been in the +GOE range.

Not apples-to-apples, and yes you can't directly compare competitions, FWIW:

Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA 101.89 50.50 51.39 8.61 8.25 8.64 8.64 8.68 (Euros)
Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA 101.14 49.16 51.98 8.68 8.25 8.71 8.86 8.82 (4CC)

I don't think it's in surmountable for them to finish ahead of C/L, even though they are the reigning world champions. I think Elena and Ruslan will be tough competition as well since they also got 69+ in the short dance. Their FD best this season is 96+ from Rostelecom.

In any case, the Shibs look good for a top 6 finish at least and could even sneak in top 4 or 5, which would be the best finish for them since 2011.

slider11

Medalist
Also meant to remark on the comment about Elena and Ruslan possibly being the spoilers with any of the top teams. Will their meteoric rise take them to the podium much like the Olympics with Elena and Nikita? Much like the French, I think they have great potential but I do think the lack of time together and the pressure of being that spoiler might be too much and both will not reach the full potential this year. I still think the French will be on the podium but I think Elena and Ruslan will rank around 6th.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I want Virtue/Moir back!!!!!
Judges made the disgrace to let them to leave like they had to being one of he best icedancer of all-time.

(I hate Zueva to sell their chance for USFSA for money I am sure.)

I WANT THEM BACK TOO!! but i have a feeling that they will turn pro because i can see them make a future from skating. Even comparing last season to this season, the rules have changed again so it would be hard to get back into the game.
Also, if they were to comeback, I doubt they would want to return to Canton, Michigan. They must be enjoying the freedom from their strict routine and being so so close to their rivals.

beabstress

On the Ice
I WANT THEM BACK TOO!! but i have a feeling that they will turn pro because i can see them make a future from skating. Even comparing last season to this season, the rules have changed again so it would be hard to get back into the game.
Also, if they were to comeback, I doubt they would want to return to Canton, Michigan. They must be enjoying the freedom from their strict routine and being so so close to their rivals.

I truly think that the only way Virtue and Moir would return to eligible competition is if they thought that the Canadian ice dance program was in trouble. Clearly, the program is doing well.

I'm sure the other Detroiter's here will have to laugh at the British pronunciation of 'Novi', MI. ;)

Is it true that this town was named after railroad stop "Number six?" ;)

Is it true that Mt. Clemons. MI (there is no mountain in sight) was named after the town drunk, a man named Clemons who stayed every night at the local tavern until closing time, at which point the town crier shouted, "Closing time! Mount Clemons!" -- and they threw him across his horse and sent him home?

I hear you, beki.

Oh, I don't know. Babe Ruth was a great baseball player but that didn't stop people from turning out to see the world series after he retired. :yes: