2015 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate Feb 15 Seoul Time | Page 53 | Golden Skate

2015 Four Continents Ladies Free Skate Feb 15 Seoul Time

rain

Record Breaker
And for the record, I think Caro should have won in Sochi. But c'est la vie and all that jazz.

I thought I was the only one who thought Carolina should have won gold in Sochi. All the talk was about how much YuNa Kim was robbed, but for my money the winner should have been Caro.

Speaking of Kostner, I couldn't help but think of her and Patrick Chan during these ladies freeskates as I watched the footwork sequences. Now there are two skaters who can actually make difficult steps move across the ice. Most of the field here was downright painful — it looks like they're pushing through molasses out there.

It was like watching the step sequences in the pairs event after watching ice dance. With some of the pairs teams you almost wish someone would get out on the ice and push, they're moving through them so slowly. Kinda like how most of the ice dance teams can do better pairs spins than the pairs teams can. I found that to be a very interesting phenomenon when dance added the required spin to the competition. But I digress.

andromache

Record Breaker
After getting up at 4:30 am for the men's comp and staying up past 2 am for the ladies, I'm off to bed! Enjoyed the time spent today watching with and learning from all of you.

Congrats to Polina! She delivered when it counted. I'm not yet inspired by her programs, but she had some lovely elements tonight.

stella luna

Final Flight
Some people just want to see others cry.

It is a huge concern that Gracie keeps messing up time after time. Something mental she has to work out and fast. It is not a concern that she has figured out a way to put on a happy face and contain her emotions after a bad skate.

I may be showing my age, but Nancy Kerrigan went to a sports psychologist and as a result rose to show her full potential.

She should have won gold at the Olympics, but the Harding mess created a bias against her.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember back in 93' The media was on Nancy's case saying can she take the pressure of being no #1 for the US.....she also was injured that year. She melted down at worlds but guess what happened the next year. Obviously Gracie is not having the year she was hoping for...maybe being knocked down like this is what she needs to finally spark her competitive mindset.

Often the skater who bombs seems to gain some fight and becomes one of the most dangerous in upcoming competitions like Kerrigan(1993), Wylie (1991), Wagner(last year) and numerous others throughout skating history. I think we forget that all of these skaters have a lot of fight to just get to this level. We give up on many of them prematurely.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I just woke up and looked for the results...what happened? :drama: it's so unexpected to see Polina winning, but I'm very happy for her. But with these scores, I guess Liza (or Elena) won't have any problems at the WC.

Gracie:cry:

Last edited:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Zijun didn't get any URs today, that's why evangeline was questioning the people who came down HARD on Satoko yesterday but ignored the fact that Zijun had just as many questionable landings today.
Well, I'm not one of those people. I said yesterday that Satoko's SP jumps were borderline but not outright UR.

I would've given the bronze to Zijun (and silver to Rika), because they didn't fall over. That's so 6.0, you may say...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The things you learn: apparently the lady with the finest jumps in the last quad or this "plonks" her jumps. :disapp:

burntBREAD

Medalist
Yes, but I prefer them any day to Satoko's hops.

But evangeline wasn't talking about the quality of the jump itself, she was just wondering why people are so demanding about Satoko's questionable jump landings and not at all about Zijun's. Double standard. :shrug:

tulosai

Record Breaker

I thought I was the only one who thought Carolina should have won gold in Sochi. All the talk was about how much YuNa Kim was robbed, but for my money the winner should have been Caro.

There are at least three of us, never fear :biggrin:

randomfan

Record Breaker

Speaking of Kostner, I couldn't help but think of her and Patrick Chan during these ladies freeskates as I watched the footwork sequences. Now there are two skaters who can actually make difficult steps move across the ice. Most of the field here was downright painful — it looks like they're pushing through molasses out there.

It was like watching the step sequences in the pairs event after watching ice dance. With some of the pairs teams you almost wish someone would get out on the ice and push, they're moving through them so slowly. Kinda like how most of the ice dance teams can do better pairs spins than the pairs teams can. I found that to be a very interesting phenomenon when dance added the required spin to the competition. But I digress.

I honestly thought that either Yuna or Carolina deserved the gold. It was the Russian scoring that was bad. But I won't want to start on that.

peg

Medalist
I've heard quite a few people say that Caro should have won. She and Adelina both did seven triples to Yuna's six.

emily_sk8xx

Rinkside
New idea: maybe all of us should chip in and get Gracie to a sports psychologist. Also while we're on that, Polina desperately needs a new dress.

bixby

Final Flight
I think if she didn't have the injury, things might be different for her. Not saying that's THE reason for this or using it as an excuse for the dismal performance tonight.

We don't really know what's behind the scene. She has another month or so to prepare for worlds and that would be another shot. I won't count her out just yet.

Polina can only improve from hereon too. If she keeps on delivering the goods like tonight on a consistent basis, she's might reach the world or Olympic podium. Who knows...